THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 08:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So, Faye seemed stressed out. What stresses you out the most?

Death
Taxes
Certainty
Uncertainty
Life, man
People you meet
Humanity in general
Family
Work
Cleanin waffle irons.
Something not mentioned.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2455-2459 (27-31 May, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 71878 times)

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

guys, I'm sorry, but could you please take care with spelling my name? It's an h before the r. It's not really important, but it is slowly getting annoying…
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Whoa! My sister was at Amherst College during those years, and that's when I went up to visit and occasionally went to ABC, so we may have been there at the same time once or twice. I couldn't have a restricted root beer, since I was in high school at the time, but I always got their homemade root beer. So good. I definitely have to find a reason to go back (it's not too far out of the way when I drive from Jersey to New Hampshire) and try that.

Anyway, welcome back!

And ankhtahr, mind telling us the meaning behind the name? Just curious.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

You might have rootbeer, but we have... uhm.

someone help me out.
Spezi! Also known as Mezzo-Mix or Schwip Schwap

...Americans don't have that? But. It's literally just Fanta and Cola mixed 50:50!

Welcome back!
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

guys, I'm sorry, but could you please take care with spelling my name? It's an h before the r. It's not really important, but it is slowly getting annoying…

Fixed. 

TBH, I was proud of myself for placing the first h correctly...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

aphanisis81

• Furry furrier
  • Grammar is not half as important as clarity.

So good. I definitely have to find a reason to go back (it's not too far out of the way when I drive from Jersey to New Hampshire) and try that.

Don't know how long it's been for you, but FYI they moved to a new (gigantic) location in 2011. They're no longer on the main drag, but in a strip mall about half a mile away, down Amity St.  Reviews on the new space seem to be mixed on Yelp, but I was disappointed.  They still make a damn fine IPA though, so I guess it's not all bad.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Last time I was in town was 2009 but I don't think I've been there since 2004 or so. And I'm disappointed to hear about the move. I guess it's not really worth going out of my way for anymore.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

I'm seriously loving this week. Everybody is being super cute, Marten and Hannelore being like siblings (super cute), Pintsize saying TL;DR (I just want to hug him) and Claire blushing... duuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhwwbbbblblblblblblblblblbl

muon

• Plantmonster
  • Baking is science for hungry people.
    • tumblr

(Or, well, the edited version, at least. If we've seen the unedited version, I missed it.)
Not if you read the comments below mine.
Oh, I saw what you posted. I meant that I hadn't seen the former US president mentioned in the unedited post.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

And ankhtahr, mind telling us the meaning behind the name? Just curious.

actually it's a name I stole from a video game (Spellforce: Order of the Phoenix), which I adopted as my first nickname ever, and it kind of stuck. I've got two other nicknames I use regularly, one mainly for gaming purposes (bhtooefr knows which name that is) and one for more serious activities.

But I got so used to it, and I've never seen it used by somebody else, so I really identify myself with it now, and don't see the video game reference in it anymore. The first part is easy to remember, just think of one of these:
(click to show/hide)
. And for the second part, I don't know, just keep it in mind as a sound (taar, not thar).
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

The Ankh Symbol is known to Wikipedia. I did recognize it, because it is also used in a puzzle/logic game I play a lot with my son. The connection between the two is a bit forced. I would guess it just caught the fancy of the guy who does the coding for the game.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

I suspect part of the problem is that "tahr" is weird spelling for a native English speaker, normally, and, well, damn you brain autocorrect!

(I stumble on typing things that are in German into Google Translate all the time, because German spelling goes against a lot of ingrained English rules.)

Jazzmaster

• Obscure cultural reference

Anyone else think Claire being told the hole Marten-Faye backstory is setting up for something critical?  i.e making some witty remark at the worst possible time?

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

I suspect part of the problem is that "tahr" is weird spelling for a native English speaker, normally, and, well, damn you brain autocorrect!

(I stumble on typing things that are in German into Google Translate all the time, because German spelling goes against a lot of ingrained English rules.)

I now feel reminded of a discussion on pronunciations, where a person from Germany was talking of an [i] sound, and somebody else said it would be more of an [e] sound. The German pronunciation of i is exactly the English pronunciation of e.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

It begs the question, whose paddle is that? Pintsize's? We know he has some underwears and condoms stocked up. But a paddle? He would need a partner in spanking. Unless it belongs to other occupiers of the place. Marten? We know he is strictly vanilla. Faye and Angus? Well, that could work.I do not see either of them bottoming, so, switches?

Why not? Supposedly dominatrices stay in business taking money from alpha business types who want a break from giving orders and being responsible all the time. Self-identified subs I've met online have tended to be confident and assertive people.

Given that Pintsize has samurai armor, a paddle is not a particularly exotic thing to keep on hand just in case.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Loki

• comeback tour!

I now feel reminded of a discussion on pronunciations

Perhaps now is an opportune time to complain about the weirdness of the English language.

Why is it "to judge" with an e, but "judgment" without an e?
Why is it "to pronounce" and "pronoun" with an o, but pronunciation without an o?
Why is it "awe" with the e, but "awful" without, but "awesome" with?
I swear I had another example a few moments ago.

Don't even get me started on the gh sounds.

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

Ghew ghoti!
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Why is it "to judge" with an e, but "judgment" without an e?

Loki

• comeback tour!

What is that supposed to mean?

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Given that Pintsize has samurai armor, a paddle is not a particularly exotic thing to keep on hand just in case.

He also has a gimp suit, and didn't he dress up as Lincoln and Castro (with pube hair beard) once?

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

I now feel reminded of a discussion on pronunciations, where a person from Germany was talking of an [i] sound, and somebody else said it would be more of an [e] sound. The German pronunciation of i is exactly the English pronunciation of e.
And then you've got the pronunciation of V and W (the letters especially, but in a word, too - folksvagen, for instance, instead of volkswagen), for the real WTF. (But, every time I watch a German car video talking about VW/Audi diesels, hearing "TDE" is pretty jarring.

NickyFitz

I wonder if Claire is trying to escape or reluctantly assuming the position to be paddled

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

It looks like escaping to me.

My wife spells it "judgement" as a form of civil disobedience.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

It's all your fault, you know.

I went to DQ and got a Root Beer Float.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

That was me. I am Danish, not German. Many sounds are the same in both languages, but far from all.

The name of the letter I in my language is the same as the sound in English fit or ship. Or so it sounds to me. And I can hear no difference other than vowel length between ship and sheep.

The name of the letter E is a sound I don't know if exist in English. It is the sound of German e in e.g. Nebel, or French é in e.g. été. In Danish most short I's have this sound, and I use like that in English words like in or this (but not e.g. it). But I suspect that this, like so much of my English pronounciation, is an approximation.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Ah, you're Danish! Cool!

I frikkin' love Denmark. Been to København a few times, and we're regularly spending our vacations on Rømø.

Well, there is definitely a difference between ship and sheep, at least in Received Pronunciation. The i in ship is more like a short version of "eh", while the ee in "sheep", well it would translate to "ieh" in German.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

"pronounce" and "pronoun" are twin sins of different mothers - they happen to look the same, but have different etymologies.  As for pronunciation... yeah, I got nothin', except to remind you that of all languages, English is easily the most irregular, having developed in a forge of conquest and defeat over millennia with no standards of spelling until quite recently, and a grossly undereducated majority of speakers. 

When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

muon

• Plantmonster
  • Baking is science for hungry people.
    • tumblr

The name of the letter E is a sound I don't know if exist in English. It is the sound of German e in e.g. Nebel, or French é in e.g. été.

There are 2 "e"s in Nebel, so I'm not sure if you mean the first or the second, but both sounds exist in English. The first like the "ei" in neighbor, while the second is more like the "u" in pull (which makes sense, weil in Althochdeutsch es Nebul buchstabiert war), although now I think that isn't a perfect match. Of course, we could solve all of these problems if we used the IPA.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.
Nah, I prefer to live dangerously.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

As for pronunciation... yeah, I got nothin', except to remind you that of all languages, English is easily the most irregular, having developed in a forge of conquest and defeat over millennia with no standards of spelling until quite recently, and a grossly undereducated majority of speakers.

Quote from: James Nicoll
The problem with defending the purity of the English language
is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't
just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages
down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffle their pockets for
new vocabulary.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

I'll stick to Ginger Beer.

Careful Pintsize, Claire might wind up paddling you.

Then again, he might just enjoy that.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Loki

• comeback tour!

no standards of spelling until quite recently

I just went and checked. German had no official standard orthography until 1901 :P To be fair, it's also sometimes far from consistent, particularly when they try to forcefully germanize words of foreign origin into German spelling, like phasing out the ph out of Greek words to replace it with f.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

You don't have to tell me thrice, dear forum!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

You can turn the warning off in your profile if you really don't want it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Loki

• comeback tour!

But then how would I kvetch about it?

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

hehe, the u in 'pull' can be quite interesting too. In Scottish accents "pull" and "pool" are homophones, they sound the same.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

But then how would I kvetch about it?
Or make up humorous exaggerations like so:

Warning – While you were worrying about that crack in your new plasterwork the whole universe was blown up, shrunk into a pocket model of itself, then blown up some more (real good this time) which reset the whole thing. The crack's gone now though.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

nestingkiwi

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Between asking Claire for makeouts and going to fetch his toys I wonder if Pintsize has a thing for Claire.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Pintsize does that to almost every female acquaintance of Marten's that he meets.

Loki

• comeback tour!

Frankly, I am surprised Claire hasn't done horrible things to Pintsize yet, like Faye, or Momo, or Marigold.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Frankly, I am surprised Claire hasn't done horrible things to Pintsize yet, like Faye, or Momo, or Marigold.

Give her time ... haven't they just met?
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Loki

• comeback tour!

Yes, and Pintsize's crazy.
He gave her his hijinks,
So she will crush him maybe?

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

Or Emily

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Yes, and Pintsize's crazy.
He gave her his hijinks,
So she will crush him maybe?

ooh...

Pintsize is crazy.
He gave her his hijinks.
She'll crush him, maybe?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Miss Jepsen called. Even SHE thinks that's bad.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Haikus are easy.
Five seven five.
Shit.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Haikus are easy.
Five seven five.
Shit.

Haiku's need to be about nature or similar topics. So any not based in nature is not in the spirit of Haikus.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Traditionally, yeah, but common use of the term just requires 5-7-5. Or maybe just a very broad definition of "nature".

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Shit is natural.  :roll:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Wrong amount of syllables though.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Shit is natural.  :roll:

Dare ya to make a haiku about poo.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

I sat down to shit
But I only farted loud
Could not shit a bit.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up