THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 16:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So, Faye seemed stressed out. What stresses you out the most?

Death
Taxes
Certainty
Uncertainty
Life, man
People you meet
Humanity in general
Family
Work
Cleanin waffle irons.
Something not mentioned.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2455-2459 (27-31 May, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 71857 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

The pattern of the Gregorian calendar repeats every four thousand years. 
I think four hundred years is enough,

Oops - just a slip of the memory (not working it out or anything).

So in 400 years time, we go through 146,097 days?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Jazzmaster

• Obscure cultural reference

I always find it funny how these comic discussion and speculation threads get going well before the work week is even upon us.

Not that there's a problem with that.  At least it's not like Daft Punk's latest album, which had over 5,000 reviews on the iTunes store before it was even released (and before they even opened the free stream in the iTunes store).

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

I've always meant to read the major religious texts, just haven't gotten around to it.
The world was created by a divine being or beings out of a formless void and some people extolled the god(s) they worshiped and were either accepted into some afterlife or were damned and then in the end, the divine being(s) destroys the world.

There you go.  Every religious text ever summarized in one sentence.

Thank you Ambassador G'Kar.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

The Hávamál is a great read e.g. (which is where the quote from Valdís' signature originates). It's basically a loose collection of tips on how it's best to lead your life, but only tips, no requirements.

It contains some real gems. My favorite is this: "Who is ashamed to ask is ashamed to learn."
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

KOK

I think Church of Mormon, while arguably Abrahamic in nature, doesn't mention anything about the end of the world.

The Mormons see themselves as a branch of Christianity. It may be that they have no writings of their own on the end of the world, but they share those of other Christians.

In fact, I think most religions don't have anything on end of the world. Three that I can think of right now (that don't) are Egyptian myths, Church of Satan and the World of Warcraft lore (okay, that probably shouldn't count in so far that it is more like history). I am also not sure that Scientology has anything on creation of the world.

A central tenet of the Baha'i faith is that there will never be a last profet. More will always be coming. I think we can deduce their thoughts on the end of the world from this.
« Last Edit: 27 May 2013, 03:09 by KOK »

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Looks like we won't get a new strip today. Oh, well, I'm not surprised - Jeph's probably quite worn out after the weekend.
What do you know about Pokémon?

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

I always find it funny how these comic discussion and speculation threads get going well before the work week is even upon us.

Not that there's a problem with that.  At least it's not like Daft Punk's latest album, which had over 5,000 reviews on the iTunes store before it was even released (and before they even opened the free stream in the iTunes store).

That's because some of us get paid per thread page. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise; they just don't want to share the money. We have a script and everything, but improvisation gives some extra money.
And some of us get boni depending on how off-topic we can get. I think Westrim (?) got a nice profit from that Ender's Game discussion. (I would check who brought that up, but I'm on my phone.)
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

westrim

Looks like we won't get a new strip today. Oh, well, I'm not surprised - Jeph's probably quite worn out after the weekend.
I need to rerename the thread, though...

That's because some of us get paid per thread page. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise; they just don't want to share the money. We have a script and everything, but improvisation gives some extra money.
And some of us get boni depending on how off-topic we can get. I think Westrim (?) got a nice profit from that Ender's Game discussion. (I would check who brought that up, but I'm on my phone.)
Aye, it was me. Good thing too- I was contracted a couple months ago, but I was getting subpar returns the previous few weeks before that turned things around. That's why I wanted to create the thread so much- I get an extra percentage for every page.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

In fact, I think most religions don't have anything on end of the world.

Buddhism doesn't have anything hard, just the tenement that nothing lasts forever.

Shinto has no concepts on the End of the World.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

The tenement? I never of of the Buddha as a slumlord.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Loki

• comeback tour!

That's why I wanted to create the thread so much- I get an extra percentage for every page.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

The pattern of the Gregorian calendar repeats every four thousand years. 
I think four hundred years is enough,

Oops - just a slip of the memory (not working it out or anything).

So in 400 years time, we go through 146,097 days?

Well, yes. And that number is divisible by seven, so the calendar repeats every four hundred years. In four centuries there will be exactly 400*12=4800 calendar months. Therefore there will be 4800 thirteenth days of a month. The main point was that 4800 is not a multiple of seven. So the seven weekdays that fall on the thirteenth cannot all be equally likely. As it happens, Friday is among the most frequent (if not the most frequent). I did not check this, but undoubtedly Paul has, and I believe him. I also recall having heard this from some other source.

Of course, you are welcome to make up your mind, whether this has any bearing to your daily life - or even the life of the most superstitious among us. Something that can only be observed in a span of four centuries is unlikely to matter much. But we math folks enjoy working out problems like this.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Well, you have to factor in any broken mirrors, black cats crossing your path, walking beneath ladders and so on, too!  :roll:

Loki

• comeback tour!

Spilled salt. Don't forget the salt.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

How come everyone knows more about Norse Mythology than me?

No major here just a practicing member, popular faith in the US military, it was interesting to try to explain it to a Japanese girl I met at a Shinto shrine today, using about 20 words of English, another 20 of Japanese, gestures and google translate we had a good 45 minute conversation, 15 minutes of which were describing in general our faiths. It was a lot of fun, even if we both walked away a little confused I think
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

I'm quite enjoying this discussion on religion, belief and faith. It truly is amazing, and a little intriguing (heh, those crazy Scientologists... :-D).

I don't know if I can put my beliefs in the same boat. I mean, I am baptised Catholic, but I... well, it's not so much that I don't believe in God (or any particular god you'd care to name), but I don't believe in the structures that surround our gods (and goddesses). Unfortunately, these are works of man, and thus are twisted from their true meanings by those at the top of the podium to something that conforms to something that makes us (and them) more comfortable/righteous.

This is not to say I find religion a bad thing. People need guidance, to find the spiritual truth within themselves. But I think it is within our own powers to create a peaceful world, if people could get past their own divisions and try to see the greater whole.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Tech that's my general take on it, all forms of faith are a valid connection to the divine, the key is being spiritual instead of being religious imho
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

There's nothing wrong with being neither, of course.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

There's nothing wrong with being neither, of course.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

...I'm still waiting for my paycheck.
Just another Joe like 46

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

it's not so much that I don't believe in God (or any particular god you'd care to name), but I don't believe in the structures that surround our gods (and goddesses). Unfortunately, these are works of man, and thus are twisted from their true meanings by those at the top of the podium to something that conforms to something that makes us (and them) more comfortable/righteous.

This is not to say I find religion a bad thing. People need guidance, to find the spiritual truth within themselves.

Amen.

But I think it is within our own powers to create a peaceful world, if people could get past their own divisions and try to see the greater whole.
Well, some might quibble as to the ownership of "our own" powers ... but the real show-stopper is that "if".  Judgement Day will come before everyone will "get past their own divisions and try to see the greater whole", and it only takes a small minority to end a peace.

(I'm a humanist, honest.  But I've seen too much of human behaviour to reject that kind of cynicism.)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

I have it on good authority that it's in the mail...

And that they will respect you in the morning, won't mess in you mouth, etc.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Loki

• comeback tour!

you... you mean... you have been creating all those threads and listening to our insanity... for free?  :psyduck:

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

you... you mean... you have been creating all those threads and listening to our insanity... for free?  :psyduck:

Believe it or not, yes. :P
Just another Joe like 46

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

May I be the first (that I know of) to thank you? Even if I'm not, thank you.  :laugh:

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

How come everyone knows more about Norse Mythology than me? I didn't know you need to be a friggin Norse Mythology major to read this comic!

Oh well. I can blame it on Ankh being further up north than me.  :-D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL1acYvpR_E
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

gratuitous post so this thread shows up in my "new replies" button

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

You mean you don't just comb through and read all the posts?
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

You don't use the "notify" button?!

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

No...ti...fy?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

I find it easier to just bookmark the link under "Show new replies to your posts" and check it... and then I only post in threads I want to follow

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I find it easier to just bookmark the link under "Show new replies to your posts" and check it... and then I only post in threads I want to follow

Sadly, this.

One reason why I was looking for a vacation from WCDT creation was because I was getting a bit overwhelmed by all the different threads. That, and I was having issues coming up with decent polls.
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I always check the new replies, but I don't bookmark. Anything. I'm not sure why.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jazzmaster

• Obscure cultural reference

Once again Marten is surrounded by cute ladies on his couch and does absolutely nothing about it.

It's not horrible though - I mean, maybe the world needs more dudes who are more about being friends with a lot of people and not just about being friends with a girl to get laid.

Loved Claire's last line in this strip, btw

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

If I were young enough not to know better, I'd be tempted to try out Pintsize's pickup line.  :-D
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

westrim

That's the best comeback Claire's had, and by her facial expression it wasn't intentional. I am very in favor of general make outs, especially considering the characters present. Except Pintsize, it can go make out with the waffles.

That's right, Marbear lives with Angus. So, where was she that morning and when Faye came?

Marten looks pretty stunned at potential leaving of his bossy big sister.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I thought Marten and Faye were the same age.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jmucchiello

• Curry sauce

Go Claire!!!

But I really want to know if Pintsize could be nonplussed by that comeback.

westrim

I thought Marten and Faye were the same age.
The wiki lacks that information; however, I was referring to attitude, not chronology. Or genetics.
« Last Edit: 27 May 2013, 22:46 by Westrim »

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Well it's never said directly in the comic, only that Dora's older than Marten (and probably Faye).

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

This is the first time Claire and Pintsize met each other, right?

Also, here's the continuation of the guest strip (since Jeph won't post it):

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Wait, where'd you get it?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

In Here (author's web).

Quote from: Crave
The story behind this is that I made a guest comic for QC and Jeph accidentally posted it on Saturday instead of the day he wanted to. So I added this section to it so he would have another page to post on the day he actually wanted to have it. Apparently it never made it to him, or he chose not to use it, but here it is in case you want to see it.

Loki

• comeback tour!

ZOMG! Claire said something vaguely related to makeouts while Marten was in the same room! Clearly that means they are in wuv!

...is what the shippers are thinking right now.

Carl-E

• Awakened

Need an adult... what?  Bookstore?  Is she running out of Yaoi? 

And "Marbles" is a brilliant nickname...

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Level-headed Claire is level-headed.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Carl-E

• Awakened

Not a lot of people would be completely unfazed by Pintsize. 

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Claire is getting better and better! She even outshines Hannelore these days. Today's punchline was excellent!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Quote from: Marbles
I - I need an adult...

Don't we all.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

KOK

The Gregorian calendar actually does contain rules for calculating the exact date of easter. The official full moon dates repeat in a cycle of 19 years. Every time a leap year is skipped, the dates are moved one day to compensate. Since the 19 year cycle is not exact, the dates are moved one day every 300 years. Once every 2500 years, the period between adjustments is 400 years in stead of 300, giving a cycle of 2500 years. The dates were moved in 1700 and in 1800. In 1900 a leap year was skipped, but it was 300 years since the system was started, and the two adjustments canceled out. In 2000 the leap year was not skipped, so no adjustment.

This does not mean that the date of easter repeats in a cycle of 2500 years, only that the official date of the full moon does.  Easter is the first sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox. How long the cycle is for this I don't know, and it is moot anyway since the system is not going to be in use for that long.

I made a mistake here. It is of course not the predicted date of the full moon that repeats every 2500 years, it is only the pattern of adjustments of that date. The cycle for the date itself is much longer. And the cycle for the date of easter most likley seven times that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up