THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 06:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So, Faye seemed stressed out. What stresses you out the most?

Death
Taxes
Certainty
Uncertainty
Life, man
People you meet
Humanity in general
Family
Work
Cleanin waffle irons.
Something not mentioned.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2455-2459 (27-31 May, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 72304 times)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

To paraphrase the Hynaman

All problems are solved by C4
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

ThinksTooMuch

• Plantmonster

Sure, platonic friendships can exist. But I assume they only survive in an unrealistic parallel universe where all humans are unattractive, sexually inept, and emotionally absent.

This is patently absurd.   This person should not be giving interpersonal advice to anyone.  I have five people I consider true friends, four of them happen to be female.  I am straight, I find each of them attractive, they are all either straight or bi and at least two of them have stated they find me physically attractive... and yet, no romantic tension.  We're "just" friends (just in quotes because these friendships mean far too much to me for them to be "just" anything). 

Basically what I am trying to say is that, while Claire has dropped a few tantalizing hints, it is not an inevitability that she and Marten will date, or even that she will consider it.  Near all of those hints are just as easily explained by a desire for a close friend of a type she seems to have been lacking til now (either that or her other good friend(s) are really good at hiding or very far away to not have appeared or been mentioned by now.)
"Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them."  Lemony Snicket

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!

Come to think of it... Claire was actively looking for Marten... I wonder how long she'll wait before mentioning it. Does Hanners need to leave for them to have a discussion in private or is she merely waiting for the right moment to bring up whatever it is?

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Time to fire the head cannon, methinks. Nothing quite like grapeshot to the face for solving problems.

My head cannon was fired years ago. 

But that's because it wasn't working. 

Oh, and a note on Hanners and physical contact; she voluntarily jumped into the arms of a fireman once, when her "baser instincts" overcame her inhibitions for a moment.  IIRC, she found him "gross and sweaty". 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Link?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GuardianVamp

Carl-E

• Awakened

Now, that's an epic first post! 

Welcome! 

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Thanks, newcomer! Welcome to the forum, and great job on a helpful first post!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

westrim

Response dump!

So what is Claire drinking there?
Root beer, the best beer of them all and without that nasty alcohol taste/effect. At least, I can hope so, but our society, and Jeph in particular, is/are obsessed with mind altering substances. I greatly appreciate the local restaurant that puts root beer with it's fermented brethren instead of on the soda list, though.

Man, Momo has had a SERIOUS personality change since then.
Yeah, now she's as snarky and grumpy and non-eel-shooting as the rest of the cast.

Oh, and a note on Hanners and physical contact; she voluntarily jumped into the arms of a fireman once, when her "baser instincts" overcame her inhibitions for a moment.  IIRC, she found him "gross and sweaty".
Comic (Googling hannelore firemen brought me right to the ohnorobot transcripts):
(click to show/hide)
I think of that comic every time someone tries to say that she is a pure snowflake who has no possibility of a romantic, physical, or sexual relationship with Marten or anyone else. She'd clearly like to, she just has issues- and issues can be overcome. Likely not in the way shippers hope, but also not to be written off either.

Sure, platonic friendships can exist. But I assume they only survive in an unrealistic parallel universe where all humans are unattractive, sexually inept, and emotionally absent.
This is patently absurd.  This person should not be giving interpersonal advice to anyone.  I have five people I consider true friends, four of them happen to be female.  I am straight, I find each of them attractive, they are all either straight or bi and at least two of them have stated they find me physically attractive... and yet, no romantic tension.  We're "just" friends (just in quotes because these friendships mean far too much to me for them to be "just" anything). 
That you find them attractive might be pointed to by that columnist as proof that yours is not a completely platonic relationship, on the grounds that you would not have a similar thought process regarding males.

I've had to wrestle with that logic myself regarding my opposite gendered friends, and come to the conclusion that it doesn't have bearing on my relationships as they exist- they are platonic, and there is no indication or inclination that would change. However it still is difficult to reconcile the fact that I am fine with being platonic with the fact that I would also be fine if tomorrow any of most of them asked me out on a date, and would accept that offer at the very least to see how it works out and work out exactly what is different about a romantic relationship from a close friendship aside from the physical stuff and chemical bombs designed to make us perpetuate the species *breathes*.

EDIT: Aw, I got sniped on the comic. That's what happens when I pile too much together.
« Last Edit: 29 May 2013, 21:13 by Westrim »

Latias

• Plantmonster

Come to think of it... Claire was actively looking for Marten... I wonder how long she'll wait before mentioning it. Does Hanners need to leave for them to have a discussion in private or is she merely waiting for the right moment to bring up whatever it is?

There was nothing to indicate that she wanted to talk to him about something specifically. She could very well have just wanted to hang out.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Also, wait, has everyone forgotten that Hanners hugged her father, completely intentionally, and not under the influence of mind-altering substances (either hormonal or in beverage form)?

westrim

There was nothing to indicate that she wanted to talk to him about something specifically. She could very well have just wanted to hang out.
I may be reading a lot into ellipses, but it seemed strongly intimated that between her words, her body language, and her willingness to hang around for a couple hours just to meet him that she needed him for reasons more private than simply hanging out.

I'm guessing she's pregnant, and Marten's the father.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Also, wait, has everyone forgotten that Hanners hugged her father, completely intentionally, and not under the influence of mind-altering substances (either hormonal or in beverage form)?

I haven't. But that was her father.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

After getting the job at CoD, she hugged Marten.
 At the end of the pretend-date with Sven, she hugged him.
 And of course, her father's birthday present.

Latias

• Plantmonster

I may be reading a lot into ellipses, but it seemed strongly intimated that between her words, her body language, and her willingness to hang around for a couple hours just to meet him that she needed him for reasons more private than simply hanging out.

I'm guessing she's pregnant, and Marten's the father.

I interpreted it as more of her being shy/awkward due to not really knowing Marten's friends all that well. Well, I'm sure we'll find out soon enough if your interpretation is the case.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

After getting the job at CoD, she hugged Marten.

Ah! Evil Hanners!

Indicible

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Jaegermonster impersonator

Root beer, the best beer of them all and without that nasty alcohol taste/effect.

Root beer. It's bubbly and cloying and happy. And insidious.

There can be friendships (without ponies, thanks...). Not every human is looking for a reproductive partner, thank you.
But I do agree many if not most relationship problems (pre-partnership, and sometimes even post partnership) revolve around the whole sexual tension issue.
As for Claire? Well, she is discovering what it means to have a social life. She is accompanying Marten, because he is the cause of said discovery.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2013, 01:00 by Indicible »
Signature OF DOOM!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

The fact that hugging is Hannelore's highest achievement in physical contact shows her limitations, as does her intolerance of the very idea of kissing. Most forms of sex will be out of the question for a long time.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

That TL;DR was devastating.

(click to show/hide)
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Hee hee, "initiation paddle"!   :laugh:
What do you know about Pokémon?

WAYF

• Beyoncé

Nice to see that Hannelore's sense of humour has more or less evolved to match Marten's. Remember there was a time when she couldn't properly tell if any given statement was a joke.
Also a good display of self-awareness on both their parts.

I see an interesting battle of wits forming between Claire and Pintsize...

westrim

Is Claire clambering to get away from the suddenly crazy people, or was she turning over in preparation for the paddle?

Also, she has a magnificent blush.

No, there was no typo here, move along, move along.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2013, 02:42 by Westrim »

Carl-E

• Awakened

I'm hoping you meant "a magnificent blush"...

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

[ ... ]
Also, she has a magnificent bush.

Woah, wait, what?
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

westrim

Dammit, the one time I don't glance at my post after submitting (there's a reason most of my posts have an edited notice), I make a typo like that.  :facepalm:

Is it the same paddle?
Red edge, looks like it.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Is it, perhaps, a rooibos?  :-P
What do you know about Pokémon?

pendrake

• Curry sauce

For comic 2458...

1. Man, seems like months since I last posted here.   ... ...oh crap, it has been!  Damn you Real Life! :psyduck: .

2. Art-wise, this strip was great for facial expressions.  I too liked Claire's blush (my graveyard-shift eyes did not see her bush :roll: ), but I liked Hannelore's amused expression even more.

3. @Westrim... I am fairly certain she is clambering over the sofa-arm to escape the implied hazing.

4. Warning - While you were typing at least 4+ replies were added.  Damn, you rusty at posting here, boy!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Poor Claire, hazing rituals everywhere she goes.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

It's a touch disturbing to consider that Faye and Pintsize have something in common.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

2. Art-wise, this strip was great for facial expressions.  I too liked Claire's blush (my graveyard-shift eyes did not see her bush :roll: ), but I liked Hannelore's amused expression even more.

That blush is so incredibly d'awww-worthy, and Hanner's happy face is as well, but I must also commend Jeph for the look of surprisal/shock on Claire's face upon discovering Pintsize with the paddle.

About Rootbeer:
I tried that stuff once. (It's pretty hard to get by Germany) It tasted like vanilla coke mixed with a herbal toothpaste and even more sugar. Can't say that I liked it much.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Awww Claire Blush go!

Heh but if Claire cannot handle mild insanity like the threat of the initiation paddle I fear for her continuing mental health.

Side note: This keyboard lacks an apostrophe key and gained a couple hundred strange characters I am unfamiliar with. I miss contractions.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Jeva

• Not quite a lurker
    • Don't tell me how to live my life - new site = no content yet

I've never had root beer I don't think we have it in England, or at least I've never seen it. What's it like?   :?

Also, cutest Hanner-face so far in panel 3.

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

Hanners was once on the receiving end of "birthday spankings", or at least the suggestion of such.

Nice to see her comfortable and sympathising at the, um, "other end".  (Is there an idiomatic expression for the opposite of "the receiving end"?  I'm blanking on it ...)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

muon

• Plantmonster
  • Baking is science for hungry people.
    • tumblr

Is Claire clambering to get away from the suddenly crazy people, or was she turning over in preparation for the paddle?

Also, she has a magnificent blush.

I came here to post the exact same comment. (Or, well, the edited version, at least. If we've seen the unedited version, I missed it.)

Indicible

It begs the question, whose paddle is that? Pintsize's? We know he has some underwears and condoms stocked up. But a paddle? He would need a partner in spanking. Unless it belongs to other occupiers of the place. Marten? We know he is strictly vanilla. Faye and Angus? Well, that could work.I do not see either of them bottoming, so, switches?
Signature OF DOOM!

westrim

About Rootbeer:
I tried that stuff once. (It's pretty hard to get by Germany) It tasted like vanilla coke mixed with a herbal toothpaste and even more sugar. Can't say that I liked it much.
I've never had root beer I don't think we have it in England, or at least I've never seen it. What's it like?   :?
Root beer is mostly a North American thing, on account of its original source being the sassafras tree root, which was used for tea first. Most root beer has varying elements of sassafras in it (or something trying to taste like sassafras), but there's no one solid recipe. There are a few non continental varieties, including one in the UK, but they likely have very different flavors from the US standard- the one Ankhtahr tried was likely from the UK and had too much mint. Vanilla coke is a reasonable comparison, but root beer doesn't have the coke aftertaste, just lingering sweetness. The big brands are A&W, Barqs, and IBC, so if you try one of those you'll have the generic American experience with the beverage. However, they're also all force carbonated; there are only a few places that serve it naturally carbonated, for a much smoother and mellower taste, like my aforementioned restaurant. You can make it with this kit, if you're the hands on type: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e86c/

(Or, well, the edited version, at least. If we've seen the unedited version, I missed it.)
Not if you read the comments below mine.

It begs the question, whose paddle is that? Pintsize's? We know he has some underwears and condoms stocked up. But a paddle? He would need a partner in spanking. Unless it belongs to other occupiers of the place. Marten? We know he is strictly vanilla. Faye and Angus? Well, that could work.I do not see either of them bottoming, so, switches?
Since she was seen with it before, it's likely Fayes.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2013, 07:20 by Westrim »

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

First of all, my name is Ankhtahr  :roll:

The root beer I tried was an A&W one. Herbal toothpaste and vanilla coke.

And doesn't root beer only contain artificial flavour nowadays as sassafras root is poisonous?
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

According to Wikipedia, apparently if the safrole is removed, sassafras extract can still be used to produce commercial root beer, but AFAIK all of the mainstream American root beers don't use it. (I don't care for the mainstream American root beers, though, and can only tolerate them if they're in a root beer float.)

Although, a local BBQ place carries Henry Weinhard's Root Beer, and that actually does use sassafras extract. I liked that one, although it's HFCS-sweetened, which... yeah.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

You poor non-North Americans who've never had proper Root Beer.

Or, the best type of Root Beer: the Root Beer Float!
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Indicible

I happily leave your root beer, as long as I can get decent mead.

Since she was seen with it before, it's likely Fayes.

Don't remember that one.
Faye with a paddle. Terrifying thought.
Signature OF DOOM!

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

The best root beer I've had was homemade root beer in Amherst, Massachusetts. I wonder if Dora's been to ABC.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

You might have rootbeer, but we have... uhm.

someone help me out.

We have proper bread! And Ü-Eier! Take that!
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

That reminds me, I've had some downright awesome root beer from a place (don't recall where, because I wasn't the one that bought it) in Ypsilanti, MI.

And then made it even more awesome by adding Pinnacle Whipped vodka.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Mmm. Hires Root Beer (no longer, alas), with a close second prize going to A&W -- IF it's brought in a frosted mug on a tray that's clipped to the rolled-down window of your car, back in the (pre-HFCS) day. In a can from the supermarket, it's sugar water.
Frostie was another back-in-the-day favorite. The current "Frostop" is an acceptable substitute.
Barqs -- yes, it'll do, in moderation.
Stewarts or the various "craft"-ish brands, especially if the sweetener is cane and not cornglop, in the glass bottles are the best bet.

Unfortunately, my aging metabolism has dictated a switch to (unsweetened) iced tea.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Carl-E

• Awakened

IBC, in bottles.  Still sugared. 

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek

You might have rootbeer, but we have... uhm.

someone help me out.
Spezi! Also known as Mezzo-Mix or Schwip Schwap
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

I tried it once, the one time I visisted the USA. The word that comes to mind describing the taste is wierd. Not actually unpleasant, but not particularly pleasant either.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Carl-E

• Awakened

In all honesty, I think Ankhtahr's description is pretty close. 

It's fermented sassafras root/bark.  Sugar (a lot) was added to help the fermentation along.  Herbal-tasting, too sweet, holds a head for a long time because it's thick.  Nowadays, good ones still have sassafras extract in them, but many use artificial flavoring. 

It's not minty at all, though.  At least, not to my palette. 
« Last Edit: 30 May 2013, 07:36 by Carl-E »

aphanisis81

• Furry furrier
  • Grammar is not half as important as clarity.

The best root beer I've had was homemade root beer in Amherst, Massachusetts. I wonder if Dora's been to ABC.

MoM, I used to tend bar at ABC (2003-05), and the first time I tried the Uncle John's Root Beer off the tap, I didn't even know what I was tasting. A world apart from A&W and Mug, that's for sure. I used to make the occasional "Restricted Root Beer" (root beer plus root beer schnappes), and also tried to incorporate it into fancy-pants martinis with vanilla rum and blackberry liqueur.  Good times.

Also, hi everyone. I'm 99% lurker until now. I posted under this name back before the Dora/Marten breakup, if that gives a sense of my absence since then. I had to re-register the name. Anyway, looking forward to posting a bit in the future. I sense an implosion of the status quo between now and Thanksgiving...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up