THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic Universe  (Read 248243 times)

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe
« Reply #450 on: 27 Oct 2014, 19:39 »

A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page
I dunno..

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #452 on: 27 Oct 2014, 20:33 »

If this is true, they have to cast Martin Freeman as Wong.

No, I don't care it means casting a white actor for a Chinese character. It must happen.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #453 on: 28 Oct 2014, 03:26 »

I have literally never watched Benedict Cumonmytits in anything and I'm already sick of him just because of the sheer rabidity of his fanbase.

But I'm reactionary like that.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #454 on: 28 Oct 2014, 03:44 »

I have to agree with the thumbs-down for this idea. Benedict is a great actor and I've loved him in all his roles (his heroism for trying to hold up the badly-written joke of Star Trek - Into Darkness all on his own made him worthy of a medal, IMHO). However, he simply isn't suited for this role. Steven Strange is in his 50s and is an experienced man. I'm sure he could pull it off but it would still seem a mis-cast in physical terms.

My worry? Disney are looking for stars to carry the property along into the next phase. Unnecessary, IMO, as the strength of the MCU has always been in its story-telling, not its big names.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #455 on: 28 Oct 2014, 03:48 »

Exactly. The Marvel movies haven't worked because of star power. They have created stars through it, like Chris Evans, and re-ignited old stars like Robert Downey Jnr. or Mark Ruffalo.

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #456 on: 28 Oct 2014, 03:54 »

This is one I'm just going to have to wait and see. I actually think Strange is one of the roles where it's more natural to cast a well established actor, since he's sort of a leader figure, and it seems that they want to move him to the front of the spotlight (Possibly to usurp Iron Man :roll:).
I dunno..

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #457 on: 28 Oct 2014, 08:08 »

I was hoping they were going to go for a more bold casting choice than the whitest guy that ever lived. I knew it wouldn't have ever happened but I would have loved to see Oded Fehr play the Sorcerer Supreme.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #458 on: 28 Oct 2014, 09:37 »

He would have been amazing, I mean just look at him

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #459 on: 28 Oct 2014, 10:55 »

I think Fehr would have been perfect, but I am not disappointed in their decision. Especially since I saw names of actors that I feel are kind of blegh. I think Cumberbatch is a good actor, I think he'll be able to pull it off.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #460 on: 28 Oct 2014, 12:29 »

I would totally have been ok with that, looks wise!

On a different not, Chadwick Boseman to Star in Marvel's ‘Black Panther’

Now, this is great news! I think Black Panther could be one of the coolest IPs in the MCU, and I'm totally ok with this casting!
I dunno..

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #461 on: 28 Oct 2014, 13:42 »

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #462 on: 28 Oct 2014, 14:24 »

Wait, I know this'll sound counter-intuitive but...I thought Captain Marvel was a DC character.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #463 on: 28 Oct 2014, 14:51 »

Both Marvel and DC have Captain Marvels. Which is why DC's Captain Marvel series was actually called Shazam! And last I checked DC's Captain Marvel is now actually going by Shazam in the New 52.... probably because that's what people who didn't know better probably called him, anyway.

Marvel's Captain Marvel used to go by Ms. Marvel aka Carol Danvers. She got her powers through some crazy accident involving the original Captain Marvel, Mar-Vell, who I barely know anything about besides him being a Kree that actually allies with Earth.

What to take away from this is HOLY SHIT A CAROL MOVIE!!!!! I really like her last comic run and her current series is pretty awesome too, especially since she's hanging out with the Guardians on and off.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #464 on: 28 Oct 2014, 14:55 »

Wait, Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel are the SAME PERSON? Cool.

And honestly the only DC Captain Marvel I know offhand is the one episode of JLU he was in. Great episode.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #465 on: 28 Oct 2014, 15:06 »

Wait, Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel are the SAME PERSON? Cool.

And honestly the only DC Captain Marvel I know offhand is the one episode of JLU he was in. Great episode.

Not anymore. Currently Ms. Marvel is a teen-aged girl.  Carol is CAPTAIN Marvel. So the current bearers of those names are not the same person. But Carol has had many hero names, with Ms. Marvel and Captain Marvel being two of them.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #466 on: 28 Oct 2014, 15:14 »

Ahh. Either way, I didn't know Captain Marvel was a woman. That's pretty cool. I wonder why no Black Widow movie though.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #467 on: 28 Oct 2014, 15:35 »

Both Marvel and DC have Captain Marvels. Which is why DC's Captain Marvel series was actually called Shazam! And last I checked DC's Captain Marvel is now actually going by Shazam in the New 52.... probably because that's what people who didn't know better probably called him, anyway.

Don't. Even. Get me. Started.

I have a CAPTAIN SHITTING MARVEL t-shirt, and the number of people who go 'hey, The Flash!' or worse yet 'hey, Big Bang Theory!' makes me want to pull out their eyes and eat them.

The other week I stayed at one of my best friends' houses and his step dad and I had a conversation that went something like this:
'Hey, a Shazam shirt.'
'Oh thank fuck you're the first person to correctly identify this in three years.'
'Of course really his name is Captain Marvel'
'YES! THANK YOU!'

I nearly blew him.

But anyway... that's a rant for another thread...

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #468 on: 28 Oct 2014, 16:13 »

I am highly disappoint with the actor selection for Dr. Strange... he's one of my favorite comic book characters...
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #469 on: 28 Oct 2014, 16:14 »

What's wrong with Bennyhill Cummerbund?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #470 on: 28 Oct 2014, 16:31 »

I was hoping for Pedro Pascal to be honest.  :-P
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #471 on: 28 Oct 2014, 18:13 »

Ahh. Either way, I didn't know Captain Marvel was a woman. That's pretty cool. I wonder why no Black Widow movie though.

Because meh. While I like her as a sidekick in the Marvel movies, I don't think it's really worth giving her her own movie. Especially since she seems to be branching out (started in Iron Man, was in Avengers, was in Capt. America). But Captain Marvel...heck yeah. She does not get enough love and she definitely deserves it. She's a badass. (Not saying Black Widow isn't, just that CM is even more so.)
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #472 on: 28 Oct 2014, 18:51 »

I think Black Widow & Hawkeye are more comparable to Director Fury, Agent Coulson and Agent Hill, being more glorified SHIELD operatives than superheroes. I think they serve well as recurring side characters.
I dunno..

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #473 on: 28 Oct 2014, 19:26 »

For my thought at least is... What could a Black Widow (or Hawkeye for that matter) movie do that couldn't be done bigger and better with other characters? For all their gadgets, they are really just highly trained agents. They can bring skills that are lacking with the likes of other Avengers. Or they could work well on a regular series, like Agents of Shield having Mockingbird right now. They can even do a comic book, because it's one of dozens of products the company would put out every month. But a feature length movie that is going to take over a year and millions of dollars to produce, with so many other, bigger characters to play with? I just don't see it happening. Black Panther I think is the bottom rung of the power curve to be possible to get his own movie. He's also usually depicted as a highly trained person with high tech gear, but his being the king of Wakanda and all that brings with it.

Now, I could see Black Widow and Hawkeye getting something like the Netflix series that are in production, or maybe a spin off TV mini series like Agent Carter. But a full AAA movie release I don't see happening.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #474 on: 28 Oct 2014, 19:32 »

Marvel's Captain Marvel used to go by Ms. Marvel aka Carol Danvers. She got her powers through some crazy accident involving the original Captain Marvel, Mar-Vell, who I barely know anything about besides him being a Kree that actually allies with Earth.

What to take away from this is HOLY SHIT A CAROL MOVIE!!!!! I really like her last comic run and her current series is pretty awesome too, especially since she's hanging out with the Guardians on and off.

I think they would introduce the first Captain Marvel and then later introduce Carol. Heck, if they do it right they could possibly do it in the same movie, ie him dying and passing on his powers to her

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #475 on: 28 Oct 2014, 21:47 »

A full Shield movie could happen. I'd be down for that. But then I've always been a Shield fan.

I'm kinda annoyed another Hulk movie isn't in the works.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #476 on: 28 Oct 2014, 22:03 »

By all himself, Hulk is a one trick pony. There isn't much they could do in a second Hulk movie that hasn't already been done in the other two, unless the Grey or Red Hulks are part of the story.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #477 on: 28 Oct 2014, 22:18 »

I think they would introduce the first Captain Marvel and then later introduce Carol. Heck, if they do it right they could possibly do it in the same movie, ie him dying and passing on his powers to her

Without re-writing her origin story completely, they would certainly need to introduce the original, but it's Carol that a lot of people seem to want. Especially a lot of the people that want a Marvel movie with a female lead. And I may be reading into it too much, but the lettering in the title is a direct pull from her current series:

So I imagine she'll hold the reins through most of it, even if it's not from the get go.

Now, I could see Black Widow and Hawkeye getting something like the Netflix series that are in production, or maybe a spin off TV mini series like Agent Carter. But a full AAA movie release I don't see happening.

I would like to see something with Maria Hill putting together her own team of Secret Avengers. But actually good. When I see Hill on the big screen, I always ask myself why she isn't chewing anyone out and butting heads with them. I want her to have a chance to do all that (I have not seen AoS still, so maybe that happens there?). Otherwise she's just going to be Aunt Robin: Agent of SHIELD in my head. Hawkeye and Widow would be involved, as could Coulson. And maybe it'd give Jessica Drew (aka Spider-Woman) a chance to show, since in the 616 universe, she's more Avengers/SHIELD affiliated, anyway.
« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2014, 05:02 by Game and Watch Forever »

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #478 on: 29 Oct 2014, 03:33 »

To say that Carol Danvers has had the worst damn luck is a severe understatement. She was nearly tapped dry by Rogue and ended up in a coma for who knows how long (the repeated time-line resets of the comic make it hard to tell, sometimes). Then came the brush with alcoholism, the unrequited crush on Tony Stark and the Civil War. She even ended up being Magneto's tame human 'beard' in charge of Mutant-to-human relations when he took over the world in the 'House of M' AU.

Overall, most Marvel characters have some degree of neurotic issues (even the youngest ones, like Power Pack). However, Carol had more issues than many.
~~~~

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #479 on: 29 Oct 2014, 05:01 »

Based on Tumblr speculation
captain marvel movie means

first, it’s captain marvel and not ms. marvel. marvel is fully embracing this and there will be no more fanboys calling her “ms marvel” out of bitterness
captain marvel and inhumans come out the same year = kamala you can’t convince me other wise
the current marvel cinematic universe’s first female lead movie, starring carol danvers as captain marvel
people calling carol ‘cap’ in the movie
captain marvel TRAILERS
captain marvel PREMIERE
captain marvel MOVIE
captain marvel MERCHANDISE
CAPTAIN MARVEL

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #480 on: 29 Oct 2014, 07:16 »

They don't have to do the origin story for Captain Marvel. In fact, I hope the phase 3 movies start in media res instead of being another series of origin stories. The 'origin story movie' is way to overused a trope and an easy/lazy way to put out a super hero film. Especially if you are Batman or Spiderman...

I think it's fairly safe to say that people going to see MCU movies know what they are getting into at this point, and we have this wonderful internet for looking up background information if a person is interested. Other than that... it really shouldn't be needed to spend more than maybe 10-20 minutes showing a scene explaining the origins of their powers for movie viewers to get where they are coming from. And with Black Panther it's really going to be a lot like Thor's origin. T'challa was born into the role of the Panther, the movie would be more likely explaining why he had decided or been forced to take on a place in the larger world(s) than just his homeland.

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #481 on: 29 Oct 2014, 07:40 »

Yeah, I'd imagine Black Panther being an origin story to much the same degree as Thor. I read that Wakanda will be featured in Age of Ultron, so like you said, we wont need much exposition to the country or the concept of the Black Panther, but rather why he ventures out in the world/what changes in his situation. I imagine the events of Black Panther will be set in motion by whatever happens in Age of Ultron.

Doctor Strange might fir more as a straight forward origin story, considering all the new elements that have to be introduced for him. (Suddenly there are trippy dimensions full of demons and magic in the MCU)
I dunno..

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #482 on: 29 Oct 2014, 07:56 »

Did anyone here ever see the Dr. Strange cartoon movie from the mid to late 2000s?

also newest trailer:
Love Thor's face when Cap makes the hammer jiggle.
« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2014, 08:10 by LeeC »

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #483 on: 29 Oct 2014, 08:21 »

I own that one, as well as a lot of the movies that Marvel and DC have put out direct to video. Honestly DC needs to give their live action movies over to the people they have working on their animated stuff. They have a much better grasp on the characters and what makes a good movie. I agree though that Doctor Strange will need some heavy explaining, but not necessarily a whole movie devoted to his origin story. Of all of phase 3 characters though, he is probably in most need of an origin movie.

As far as Wakanda in Avengers 2, I expect it. The opening scene is about Baron Von Strucker being taken down by the Avengers, and his secret base was revealed to be in Africa in Winter Soldier. Plus the trailer shows Andy Serkis as Ulysses Klaw, and he's scheduled to appear in Black Panther. He has a huge backstory with the Panther, Wakanda and vibranium. Plus we see Cap's shield broken in half at the end of the trailer. So they will probably need to visit Wakanda to get it fixed.

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #484 on: 29 Oct 2014, 08:33 »

That all makes a lot of sense! I wonder how they will do Captain Marvel tho. By then we might have a lot more exposition to the Kree (GotG2, possibly Thor 3, several seasons og SHIELD), so they could set themselves up for a movie in minimat need of origin exposition.

Btw, have we seen anything about Skrulls yet? Or do they fall under Fox' properties?
I dunno..

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #485 on: 29 Oct 2014, 08:43 »

Skrulls, kind of. But not really. A lot of the MCU was based in the beginning on the Ultimates universe version, though it has deviated a lot from that point. In the Ultimates verse, the Chitauri replaced the Skrulls. They were different from the Avengers movie Chitauri though, being Skrulls in everything but name (shape shifting infiltrating alien race vs just weird looking, possibly biotech alien invaders).  I really don't know if they will appear or not, since it can be argued that both the Fantastic Four and Avengers hold dominion over them. Mostly it would depend on the wording of the contract Fox has for the Fantastic Four characters.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #486 on: 29 Oct 2014, 09:04 »

Prediction: Skye in Agents of SHIELD is going to turn out to be a Skrull.
~~~~

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #487 on: 29 Oct 2014, 09:24 »

Actually it's a pretty strong theory saying she's Inhuman.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog
« Reply #488 on: 29 Oct 2014, 10:06 »

I have literally never watched Benedict Cumonmytits in anything and I'm already sick of him just because of the sheer rabidity of his fanbase.

But I'm reactionary like that.

You have, if you've seen the Hobbit.  He was the voice of Smaug. 

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #489 on: 29 Oct 2014, 10:13 »

if you've seen the Hobbit

GUESS AGAIN HOMBRE

I gave up twenty minutes into the first one.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #490 on: 29 Oct 2014, 10:18 »

Bombadil Cummerbund

Gareth may find this amusing.
« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2014, 10:29 by Pilchard123 »
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith
« Reply #491 on: 29 Oct 2014, 10:20 »

As long as they don't get like Ryan Reynolds to play Dr. Strange, they will be getting all of my monies when it comes to theatres.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #492 on: 29 Oct 2014, 14:58 »

Cap vs. Meow-Meow is my most anticipated movie moment for 2015
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #493 on: 29 Oct 2014, 15:32 »

If Kat Dennings is in Age of Ultron for any reason at all I will be happy.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #494 on: 29 Oct 2014, 17:47 »

Kat Dennings should be in everything.

I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #495 on: 29 Oct 2014, 17:48 »

Yes. Yes, she should.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.
« Reply #496 on: 29 Oct 2014, 19:02 »

Here's the pre-teaser (I guess) for Avengers 3 they screened at the press event yesterday.

I love how the crowd loses its mind when it's revealed as a two-parter. Marvel's basically showing off at this point by throwing down a gauntlet like that.
Quis pater tibi est?

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #497 on: 29 Oct 2014, 19:29 »

What you did there, I see it.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #498 on: 30 Oct 2014, 02:00 »

Can I be in Kat Dennings?

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #499 on: 30 Oct 2014, 06:19 »

Can I be in Kat Dennings?

That's up to her.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 25   Go Up