THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Torment: Tides of Numenera  (Read 7248 times)

ackblom12

Torment: Tides of Numenera
« on: 04 Mar 2013, 07:01 »

inXile is going to open up their Kickstarter for Torment: Tides of Numenera, a spiritual successor to Planescape: Tormemt, Wed. March 6th. Here is a video from Chris Avellone on why he is excited about it:

The game will use Monte Cook's new tabletop RPG settin Numenera, which you can learn a bit about here. I would link the Numenera website, but it seems to be having some problems at the moment.
« Last Edit: 04 Mar 2013, 07:58 by ackblom12 »

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera
« Reply #1 on: 04 Mar 2013, 07:54 »

Reading from the Numenera website, the setting looks preeety awesome. I'll definitely suggest it when my group is finished with what we're playing now.

It looks like we're going to have a great number of cool RPGs in the years ahead, which is great. I'll definitely support this once I can find the kickstarter (it's not up yet?). Do we know how it's going to be different from Wasteland 2/Project Eternity with regards to gameplay?
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

ackblom12

« Reply #2 on: 04 Mar 2013, 07:58 »

Not yet, I'm assuming that's going to be announced when the Kickstarter goes live Wed.

And I don't know how I mistook tomorrow for the 6th. I'll fix that in the OP

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #3 on: 04 Mar 2013, 09:33 »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Planescape: Torment was...good. Its central question has never left me. I am uh...intrigued, we'll say, at least.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #4 on: 07 Mar 2013, 04:35 »

lol funded in six hours lol

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #5 on: 09 Mar 2013, 05:30 »

Turns out this is getting money faster than they can come up with stretch goals. Just hit 2,25 million USD, which is a lot of money.

Some of the higher tiers also throws in the Numenera RPG core and player manuals. Which is pretty damn cool.

Aethien

• Curry sauce
« Reply #6 on: 09 Mar 2013, 05:37 »

This is looking pretty damn interesting.

I haven't pledged anything though because I feel weird spending money on something that'll take a long time to get anywhere.

ackblom12

« Reply #7 on: 22 Mar 2013, 16:02 »

Hoooooly shit I'm excited.

TL;DR: Chris Avellone @ $3.5M.

Hi.

Welcome, newcomers, to the land of the Forgotten Ones. We are thrilled that Pat Rothfuss may join our writing team. We have yet more good news for you all today.

$3.5M Stretch Goal – Chris Avellone

Our $3.5M Stretch Goal will add Chris Avellone to our team. You’ve probably heard of him, as he was the lead designer for Planescape™: Torment, the game that inspired us to create this project. Chris will be the first to say PS:T was a team effort, but he was its creative visionary and wrote the lion’s share of the game. He later cofounded Obsidian Entertainment, where he is the Creative Director. Chris was the lead designer for Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2, and has contributed his design expertise to every project Obsidian has developed. He also worked with inXile on Wasteland 2 last year, including designing the area showcased in our gameplay first look video.

Of course, from the start, we hoped Chris could contribute to Torment as well. But as recently as a couple weeks ago (16 days to be precise), we didn’t know whether Torment would even fund. And besides, Chris’s commitment to Project Eternity made it unclear whether he’d have the time. Given his key role in Planescape™: Torment, and the respect he has earned from the game’s fans, we didn’t want to even hint that Chris might be involved unless we were certain it would be possible. Our unexpectedly strong start – because of you – made it an option we could explore. So explore we did. We’ve been able to work out the scheduling matters so that Chris can contribute to Torment without impacting Project Eternity.

At $3.5M, Chris will be joining our design team. He’ll have two primary roles. First, he will be reviewing and providing feedback on all creative elements of the game, including the story, characters, and areas. His input will be invaluable as a resource to Colin in further detailing the creative vision for the game. Second, he’ll be designing and writing an eighth companion for the game, working with Colin and Monte to craft a companion ideal for both Torment and the Ninth World of Numenera.

We are truly excited at the possibility that Chris could collaborate with us on Torment.

Other Things

We have a few other things to mention.

$2.85M Stretch Goal – Achieved!

Thanks to you, we’ll be implementing the Extensive Epilogue to give each playthrough a more thorough conclusion. (See our Stretch Goal information on tumblr for more information.) You surged us past this Stretch Goal less than a day after we announced it!

$3.35M Stretch Goal – Castoff’s Labyrinth gains new feature: Lacunae

Not everyone in the Labyrinth has a living counterpart. Lacunae are figments of your mind that represent parts of yourself (or do they?). Through conversing with a Lacuna, you'll discover puzzles and quests, and might even enhance your own abilities. As we delve to deeper fathoms, you’ll be able to find more Lacunae with whom to interact. (The Fourth Fathom is less than 2000 backers away!)

Signed Items

In case you were curious, both Chris and Pat will be signing the Collector’s Edition game boxes in the Artifact Collector and higher Tiers.

Graphical Approach

We'll be speaking to the topic of graphics next week.

Too Many Writers?

A few of you have asked whether we're bringing too many writers on the project. Will it be difficult to manage? How will they all agree? Rest assured that more writers only helps us. Colin is in charge of the overall story, and will define the constraints required for each area to connect with the larger story. Each writer will then have one or more specific areas (and/or companions in some cases) to flesh out. There will be considerable creative freedom, especially for areas that are less central to the core storyline, but the result will be a cohesive whole.

We’re also developing conventions that all writers will follow, ensuring consistency in design and also how the Ninth World setting is conveyed. These will include writing style conventions, though not any so rigid as to constrain each writer’s talents.

The result is a very modular design, with a single creative lead to make sure everything ties together (and having Chris Avellone review the creative elements will only strengthen the vision). Managing a team of writers is how many story-driven RPGs are made, including Planescape™: Torment. Chris Avellone was the lead on PS:T, but there were seven designers working with him to make the game as deep and rich as it was. We’ll be following the same approach on Torment, as well as having Ray Vallese as a dedicated editor to further bolster consistency.

Have a great weekend!

Kevin

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #8 on: 22 Mar 2013, 20:15 »

Pleeeease don't implode and fail. I can't help but feel like it will just because I have excitement for it. >_<

ackblom12

« Reply #9 on: 22 Mar 2013, 20:32 »

I am quite liking that Avellone seems to have just come into what amounts to a part time position at inXile.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #10 on: 23 Mar 2013, 05:16 »

I am quite liking that Avellone seems to have just come into what amounts to a part time position at inXile.

Indeed, I was worried for a minute when they mentioned him, because I'm really, really looking forward to Project Eternity too... but a part time gig is acceptable. Bloody hell KS really is insane on all levels when you think about it. Both for the consumer and for the studio, but I'll be damned if it isn't working. Wasteland 2 is looking good enough for me to buy, Shadowrun's recent test footage looks like I am going to be spending mind numbing amounts of time playing with it, then finally, between Obsidian and inXile, I'm apparently going to retreat to a grotto with some power cords and spend all the time I could spend on a doctoral program on finishing Tides and Eternity.

If I could get them on hand helds I feel like I'd be full circle to spending untold hours on poke'mon, final fantasy, etc. except deeper and prettier obviously.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

ackblom12

« Reply #11 on: 23 Mar 2013, 05:32 »

Well, he's also doing work on Wasteland 2(I think he's finished his part, but I could be wrong). He seems to be doing his best to become a semi-permanent fixture at both companies. If it means we get more of Avellone's work out there, I am 100% for it.
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2013, 05:50 by ackblom12 »

ackblom12

ackblom12

« Reply #13 on: 03 Apr 2013, 10:28 »

And the stretch goal to get Chris Avellone on the Torment team has officially been hit.

ackblom12

« Reply #14 on: 05 Apr 2013, 04:40 »

Here's an interview with Avellone over at Rock, Paper, Shotgun

Obsidian's Avellone on Torment, KOTOR 2 and Alpha Protocol

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #15 on: 05 Apr 2013, 11:04 »

You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #16 on: 05 Apr 2013, 11:08 »

YES

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #17 on: 05 Apr 2013, 13:07 »

Damnit Cire, what about my wallet don't you like that you have to steal all the money from it. ._.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #18 on: 05 Apr 2013, 21:22 »

Wooooo! Good game every body! beat 4 million big time!
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

ackblom12

« Reply #19 on: 07 Apr 2013, 10:31 »

They have decided they're going to keep taking paypal donations that will be able to get the stretch goals already listed and will count them towards the $4.5mil goal until the end of April. Here's hoping. I have a bit of a unreasonable love of strongholds in my CRPGs.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #20 on: 07 Apr 2013, 10:36 »

I do not really care for player strongholds. I'm not against them, but it's not really anything I see myself using in this kind of game. More stuff, on the other hand, is probably always good.

ackblom12

« Reply #21 on: 07 Apr 2013, 10:38 »

The fact the $4.5mil goal also includes more story and depth extension is the main thing to be excited about honestly.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #22 on: 07 Apr 2013, 21:59 »

I like having strongholds. Actually I *really* like fixing them up. I spent an UNFORTUNATE amount of time on my properties in Elder Scrolls 4, for example.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #23 on: 07 Apr 2013, 23:55 »

I never got to into Strongholds, especially if I'm busy enjoying the story already. I feel like it wouldn't be a loss in Tides because there's so much else to do already. The content has been increased by what 250% from an already significant start? Not to mention the Labyrinth, which I am looking forward to exploring all twelve levels of extensively.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #24 on: 08 Apr 2013, 00:46 »

I like having strongholds. Actually I *really* like fixing them up. I spent an UNFORTUNATE amount of time on my properties in Elder Scrolls 4, for example.

Oh, for Bethesda games player houses are amazing. I don't think I've played a single one where I didn't download a mannequin mod for my houses. I think the appeal is that you can move stuff around and decorate your house partially by hand - I don't think that will be possible in Eternity/Torment/Wasteland 2. It'll probably be more of an item/companion bank.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #25 on: 08 Apr 2013, 01:08 »

Y'know it's actually really funny, because when I say 'fixing them up' I don't really mean playing interior designer too much. Like in Oblivion I would have use a certain container for books, a certain one for random cool gear I'd never use again but want to hoard like a packrat, a collection of ALL THE KEYS TO EVERYONE'S HOUSE because I was silly like that, etc.

Other than that I'd do what I did in Fallout 3: buy all the stuff and be all "oh cool look at all this stuff" *looks a while*....okay, time to go adventure"

I think it's sort of the thought of it all that does it for me? I'm not sure.

Being able to move stuff around *is* neat, just...not something I digged into very much.

ackblom12

« Reply #26 on: 29 May 2013, 14:55 »

Not sure if anyone was aware, but the game officially hit the $4.5mil mark, so will include the Stronghold, expanded reactivity, length and depth goal deisgns.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/posts/494712?ref=email&show_token=2e85562a53e19f91

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #27 on: 29 May 2013, 16:13 »

<3

Also, if any of you missed it, the vision document is publicly available here.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #28 on: 31 May 2013, 16:59 »

*bounces* Oooh I am so freaking excited.
Pages: [1]   Go Up