THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: Tattoos and other body mods  (Read 220343 times)

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
Re: Tattoos and other body mods
« Reply #300 on: 30 Sep 2013, 20:39 »

I've been thinking about tattoo's lately and if I had to get one I would probably get something like these two

I really like Hellboy and Mike Mignola's art style in general, and I really like skulls.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #301 on: 01 Oct 2013, 06:01 »

I've narrowed down my next tattoo idea to either words or something from Bastion. Because I love that game that much.

Not a bad idea.  Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is:

That missionary raised Zulf like a gentleman. Like his own son. Taught him theology, history, and mercy.

There's got to be something better, though.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #302 on: 01 Oct 2013, 06:02 »

Actually, question.  Was being served the other day by a woman with a fairly long quotation on her inner forearm.  Was going to ask her if I could read it, but the line behind me got busy.

I assumed she'd have been happy to have been asked, but maybe you guys can correct me if I'm wrong?

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #303 on: 01 Oct 2013, 06:11 »

Some people can be quite...private about their tattoos? Remember that a lot of people (myself included) may have easily visible tattoos but that doesn't mean that we want every man and his dog asking about them. We got them for ourselves, not other people.
For the most part I think most people will be ok with polite questions (What does that say? Where did you get it done/Who is your artist? etc...). But try not to be invasive. This sounds obvious but never, ever touch someone without their permission. I hear so many stories about women with tattoos who have strangers grab their arms/other body parts to have a better look at their ink. I've actually had it done to me as well and it's both bizarre and threatening.
Try not to stare. Don't ask really dumb questions like 'did it hurt?'.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #304 on: 01 Oct 2013, 06:43 »

Why is that a dumb question? Maybe they're considering getting a tattoo and want to know if they can take it.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #305 on: 01 Oct 2013, 07:22 »

Everyone asks about piercings and tattoos hurting. Of course they hurt! They're needles in your skin! It's a matter of how much pain each person can take, and there's no way another person will know what pain you can take. The answer to "did it hurt?" will always be yes, if that person is honest.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #306 on: 01 Oct 2013, 07:46 »

My answer to that question is always "If anyone tells you they don't hurt, they are lying".
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #307 on: 01 Oct 2013, 09:38 »

After telling someone that I had finished a 5 hour coloring session on my tattoo they asked me if it hurt. I replied "no, it felt like being tickled by a feather. Of course it fucking hurt, it is needles jabbing your skin thousands upon thousands of times."

Also if someone has a tattoo in an easily visible place I figure it is fair game to ask about it. I wouldn't ever get upset or offended if someone asked to get a better look at the tattoos on my forearms, in fact it happened yesterday in the bank.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #308 on: 01 Oct 2013, 09:56 »

Maybe asking, "How much did that hurt?" would be a better question because it will always hurt some amount.

This sounds obvious but never, ever touch someone without their permission. I hear so many stories about women with tattoos who have strangers grab their arms/other body parts to have a better look at their ink. I've actually had it done to me as well and it's both bizarre and threatening.

This has happened to me, in public and while working. I really hate being touched so when it's happened I flinch largely and immediately try to pull away and people get offended because, "I just wanted to look." I don't mind people asking what my tattoos are or what they mean but if people ask to look at them it bothers me a little just cause it feels weird to be stared at.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #309 on: 01 Oct 2013, 10:01 »

Thanks for the responses.

Obviously, I would not ask about the pain.  It's kind of irrelevant anyways.  Suffering is temporary.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #310 on: 01 Oct 2013, 10:39 »

Thankfully no one has tried to touch me yet, without asking. I would either cry and run away or beat the shit out of them. It's a toss up as to which one would happen on any given day.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #311 on: 01 Oct 2013, 14:08 »

I don't lie when I say my my right ear did not hurt when it got pierced. However, that's because that lobe is thinner than my left one, it had more scar tissue, and it was done first. The left hurt like a sonovabitch. The right one also didn't bleed until my friend bumped the side of my head several hours later. THEN it hurt!
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #312 on: 01 Oct 2013, 14:14 »

I've never been fond of the idea of piercings on myself, but lately I've been thinking about getting one done on the upper part of my ear. I don't know exactly what my options are there, but I think I don't want just a simple ring. From what I've gathered in this thread, Industrials are two-point piercings on your upper ear, right? I might be getting one of those, maybe.
Could somebody direct me to a good website where I can find out more about my options? Telling me here would be fine too. :)

ackblom12

« Reply #313 on: 01 Oct 2013, 14:18 »

This is a good and mostly complete list for the ear. It's missing some of the crazier and more complicated stuff like 3+ point industrials, but I don't think I'd ever tell someone to go for something like that unless they knew what they were getting into.

http://www.bodyjewelleryshop.com/body_piercing_information/location_types/

Just... I would mostly ignore the jewelry on that site.

Edit: Ok, looking through the listings more, the placements are good (with the exception of the industrial. That is definitely one of the possible placements, but it's not the norm at all), but it's jewelry suggestions are a little questionable. So good list, but take some of their advice with a grain of salt.
« Last Edit: 01 Oct 2013, 14:24 by ackblom12 »

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #314 on: 01 Oct 2013, 14:26 »

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for!
The Scaffold and Weaving piercings look very interesting to me, though Weaving seems to require a lot more holes. But they do look even better.. I think I'll have to look at a lot of actual jewelry options before I decide.

ackblom12

« Reply #315 on: 01 Oct 2013, 14:29 »

Yeah, I mean the biggest thing to remember is that some of the fancier options can be done as multiple piercings and then you can have the pierce order you custom jewelry for them. Might be a good idea to mention you might have that in mind for placement reasons, but it's absolutely doable.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #316 on: 01 Oct 2013, 14:38 »

Holy crap, the weaving is cool. Don't know if I'd be up for getting six to eight cartilage piercings in one sitting, though.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #317 on: 01 Oct 2013, 14:39 »

Definitely find yourself a good piercer that is willing to talk you through your options and maybe even mark them for you, and/or show you your jewelry options. We can give you some ideas and advice if you want to post some ear pictures, but of course we can't say anything for sure because we're not piercers and we are not able to poke your ear.

ackblom12

« Reply #318 on: 01 Oct 2013, 14:42 »

Oh my god I just looked at the healing times in that list. Disregard them entirely and remember that the Scaffold is an Industrial as well. Just use it for placement ideas.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #319 on: 01 Oct 2013, 17:40 »

My ear is doing slightly better! I've been soaking it once a day and putting the Dermaid cream on it and it feels slightly less angry and the ugly scabby thing from when I was an idiot and picked at it has gone so I don't look as gross!

I need to contact the lady who I want to get a tattoo from and see if there's any new about booking an appointment yet. I know she's super busy and all, but I just want to get something solid that I can work towards; it vagueness of "we'll contact you when we start taking appointments again" is driving me insane. Plus her stuff is AMAZING, I want it on my arm nowwwwwwww.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #320 on: 01 Oct 2013, 17:59 »

My answer to that question is always "If anyone tells you they don't hurt, they are lying".

I always say that and I'm not a liar... except my collar bone. That tattoo was a poor choice. I like it, I like what it says, I like where it is, but FUCK ME that hurt. I napped through the rest of my ink. But then I have a freaky pain tolerance level. I've had to have people inform me I have broken a bone because I didn't notice.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #321 on: 01 Oct 2013, 18:13 »

Thankfully no one has tried to touch me yet, without asking.

Spoke too soon. My dentist grabbed my ear as he came into the room.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #322 on: 02 Oct 2013, 01:31 »

Oh my god I just looked at the healing times in that list. Disregard them entirely and remember that the Scaffold is an Industrial as well. Just use it for placement ideas.
You got me somewhat confused there, the site says 8-16 weeks for both Industrial and Scaffold (and Weaving too, for that matter). If that's not accurate, what are healing times I can expect?

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #323 on: 02 Oct 2013, 01:33 »

Thankfully no one has tried to touch me yet, without asking.

Spoke too soon. My dentist grabbed my ear as he came into the room.
To be fair, he wasn't far off. Mouth, ear ... It's all so ... Difficult to tell apart.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

ackblom12

« Reply #324 on: 02 Oct 2013, 01:46 »

Cartilage can tale a very long time to heal, especially problematic piercings such as industrials. About 3 - 6 months on average for cartilage if I recall correctly. It can take up to a year for problem piercings though. Keep in mind that this doesn't mean it's going to be sore and all that for the entire time (or shouldn't be at least), the full healing period also covers the cartilage or flesh growing a full and proper fistula (aka skin tunnel) in the wound. Things like lips, lobes, tongue and other soft fleshy bits take a lot less time to heal, generally speaking. Surface piercings are generally considered to be semi-permanent. They may last a few weeks if you don't heal them well, or they may last years. But the expectation is that they will pretty much always reject at some point.

Piercings tend to take a lot of time and babying to heal up proper, but they're well worth it in the end.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #325 on: 02 Oct 2013, 13:55 »

I always say that and I'm not a liar... except my collar bone. That tattoo was a poor choice. I like it, I like what it says, I like where it is, but FUCK ME that hurt. I napped through the rest of my ink. But then I have a freaky pain tolerance level. I've had to have people inform me I have broken a bone because I didn't notice.

You're so brave and tough Garand-kun~ How can I ever be like you

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #326 on: 02 Oct 2013, 14:22 »

Green vegetables and homework! Blend them both together and drink it for all three meals and you'll grow up to be big and strong!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #327 on: 09 Oct 2013, 19:01 »

Seriously cannot stop playing with the ring in my smiley piercing and making stupid faces while I do it.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #328 on: 10 Oct 2013, 03:09 »

:D

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #329 on: 10 Oct 2013, 03:13 »

The thought of getting a piercing in my gums sends shivers down my spine. :S
It looks good, but getting one myself... hell no.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #330 on: 10 Oct 2013, 06:46 »

It's not actually in my gums. It's in the little web of skin between gums and upper lip. I don't know that that will make it any less icky for you though.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #331 on: 10 Oct 2013, 12:59 »

About 3 weeks from a new tattoo. I am excite.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #332 on: 12 Oct 2013, 13:20 »

I had a disappointing body jewellery customer experience today but when I go to complain about it I feel petty and unjustified.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #333 on: 12 Oct 2013, 19:54 »

Complain anyway! You're allowed to be bothered by whatever it is, it doesn't need to be justifiable or anything of the sort.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #334 on: 13 Oct 2013, 03:58 »

Then I shall!

Went to a body jewellery shop my piercer mentioned and was feeling anxious before I came in because why not? The only person in the shop was the worker who was working on a display. Conversation:
Me: I'm looking for something for my cartilage piercings.
Him: *without looking up* Do you know your size?
Me: I think it's 16g.
Him: *still doesn't look up* 1.3mm. This isn't America. We don't do gauges here.

Then he showed me the jewellery and I think he was trying to be helpful but I was feeling pushed into getting something showy. I just got a couple plain bars and in the end I'm disappointed with the quality. The finish isn't very smooth and they're externally threaded. They were only £2 each and I'd guess the more expensive stuff is better but I just wanted something easier to sleep on. The guy just seemed to have, "This job would be great without the customers." pouring off him. This is total projection but I also think he was unenthused by my lack of (visible) mods.
Then the piercer said it wouldn't be good to swap the jewellery while the piercings are irritated after all that anyway. :-\

He also recommended switching from salt water cleaning to an antiseptic spray which doesn't sound right to me.
« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2013, 04:04 by Welu »

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #335 on: 13 Oct 2013, 06:46 »

Yeah he was rude for no reason. A lot of people in the body mod community, when they think they know a lot about body mods, will look down on those who seemingly know less. But obviously this guy doesn't know that much, if he's selling low quality, externally threaded jewelry. Can you order online? Or maybe check out Industrial Strength and Anatometal to see if they have any sellers in your area. Their jewelry is significantly more expensive, but also polished to a mirror shine and internally threaded.

I definitely do not agree with telling you to use antiseptic spray. Why did he want you to switch?

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #336 on: 13 Oct 2013, 07:04 »

I think I'll have to get online and bite the bullet for the price. There's not many resources here unfortunately.

I sleep on my left side and I got cartilage piercings on that side about six months ago. They're still sore to the touch and they get yellow crusties. I try to sleep on the other side but roll over in my sleep. I'm going to stick to salt water but try to clean them better. I do them in the morning and before bed so could move up to three cleans.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #337 on: 13 Oct 2013, 09:21 »

He sounds sketchy.

A friend who has a newish industrial sleeps on one of those horseshoe travel pillows with his ear in the hole, so that there is not pressure on it.  I dunno if that'd work for you, but it's an idea. 
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #338 on: 13 Oct 2013, 09:31 »

The same piercer did my other side cartilage and they healed great but yesterday's experience was disappointing. I guess just because the tattoo artists there are great, it doesn't mean the same for the piercers. :meh: I'll try one of those horseshoe pillows, can use them for bus journeys if they don't work out for the ears. My pillows are quite soft so I can push a dip into them to lessen the pressure but it's not ideal.

Thanks for the advice.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #339 on: 13 Oct 2013, 16:46 »

He sounds sketchy.

A friend who has a newish industrial sleeps on one of those horseshoe travel pillows with his ear in the hole, so that there is not pressure on it.  I dunno if that'd work for you, but it's an idea.

I am using that method and I dunno if it's really making a difference but I like to think it is! No pressure on that part of the ear definitely is more comfortable to sleep on; I just swap back and forth between the neck pillow and the regular pillow when I roll over which is a bit annoying.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #340 on: 13 Oct 2013, 18:15 »

Ok, so not a huge problem but definitely an annoying one: My plugs keep falling out. Usually I'll wake up, go to the bathroom, and see one isn't in my ear (usually the left), and walk back to the bed and find it there. But sometimes they'll pop out if I lightly scratch my lobe, put my hair in a towel after showering, etc. Basically my question is should I be wearing them less or something? The flares are noticeably bigger and I didn't have this problem at smaller gauges. Should I take them out when sleeping? I are confuzzled.

ackblom12

« Reply #341 on: 13 Oct 2013, 18:18 »

Yeah, it just sounds like they've naturally stretched. Unless you want to stretch, try sleeping without them one night and see how easily they go back in. If it's not a big deal, then they should get stay in a bit better.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #342 on: 13 Oct 2013, 18:19 »

Most people with large-ish plugs will take them out at night. If you don't want to stretch any further, that's your best bet. I also keep mine out while showering, as I'm scared of dropping and breaking my fancy ones.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #343 on: 13 Oct 2013, 18:28 »

Yeah, I don't really want to stretch right now. I will sometimes shower without them, since I'm alternating between stone, wood, and opalite. I'm more afraid of losing them than breaking them because they are still that size that is juuuuust small enough to slip down a drain. Or having one of my cats decide it's edible because they're about the size of their food bits.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #344 on: 13 Oct 2013, 18:36 »

Sorry, I apparently posted at the same time that Stephen did. I do think that more time, whenever it is, with your plugs out will help a lot.

ackblom12

« Reply #345 on: 13 Oct 2013, 18:37 »

Does that Jinx mean you owe me a coke? Cause if so, I really want a coke.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #346 on: 13 Oct 2013, 18:42 »

I'll send you both e-cokes for the advice!

(I'd give you real ones, but I don't have any either. :-( )

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #347 on: 13 Oct 2013, 21:31 »

I only have diet root beer and a single wine cooler.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #348 on: 14 Oct 2013, 03:36 »

So there was that welcoming snap when I put in my plugs this morning, so I think leaving them out overnight helped! Thanks rad people!

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #349 on: 14 Oct 2013, 08:46 »

Huzzah! What size are you, if you don't mind me asking?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20   Go Up