THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 07:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: Tattoos and other body mods  (Read 220582 times)

Lines

• Awakened
Re: Tattoos and other body mods
« Reply #350 on: 14 Oct 2013, 09:57 »

4g. Relatively small, but an easy size.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #351 on: 14 Oct 2013, 12:18 »

That's how big my seconds are and I might have to start doing the same thing. I just stretched them a couple of months ago and I'm already dropping plugs like crazy.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #352 on: 14 Oct 2013, 13:26 »

So, went to the piercer today. He recommended me not to get a weaving right away, but rather have a simple plug first and "extend" later (I'm not sure if someone here said that earlier, but I feel like i heard it before, so excuse me for forgetting). And since I was already there I just got it done right away, so to make a long story short, here's what I ended up with:

So far I like it. It's a rather unusual feeling (and is obviously still aching a little) but I think I can get used to it easily. The only somewhat annoying thing is that it's rather difficult to clean the part behind the ear, because of my hair I can't see what I'm doing at all. Does anybody have some tips on how to reach that part better?

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #353 on: 14 Oct 2013, 13:36 »

Is your ear bendable? Just bend it forwards...

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #354 on: 14 Oct 2013, 13:44 »

Normally it is, but right now it hurts when I try to, seeing as a metal stick was shoved in there just a few hours ago.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #355 on: 14 Oct 2013, 14:25 »

... I hadn't thought of that.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #356 on: 14 Oct 2013, 16:33 »

I used a cotton ball method on my lobes that might work: You take two cotton balls soaked in saline solution (or your sea salt mix, whichever) and hold one on either side of the piercing and lightly hold them there to soak. (Don't rub, just lightly press them together on your ear. Like an ear-cotton ball sandwich.) It did a pretty good job of getting gunk off of my piercings and I didn't need to see the back of my ear to clean them. Some people have naysayed that in the past, but my piercer recommended it and it worked really well for me.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #357 on: 14 Oct 2013, 18:28 »

The only thing to worry about with cotton balls is that sometimes fibers can get stuck to the jewelry/piercing and that can irritate. Gauze should fix that problem. And you're basically just going to have to get used to not being able to see what you're cleaning. Once the swelling goes down, you'll be able to feel what is going in back there enough to rub a q-tip on it and get most of the crusties off. Having a friend help once in a while is also good.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #358 on: 15 Oct 2013, 02:37 »

The cotton ball/gauze idea sounds good, I'm gonna try that, thanks!
Today it almost doesn't hurt anymore, just a slight tingling left. I'll take that as a good sign.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #359 on: 15 Oct 2013, 06:44 »

Don't get too excited. It's going to ache for a couple weeks yet. Hopefully not much. And you will probably squeal like a little girl the first time you bump it the wrong way. But that will all go away soon!

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #360 on: 18 Oct 2013, 13:39 »

Posted a similar picture in the complaint thread but this one is entirely focused on the jewelry.

Deer antler plugs with stone in the center. Seconds are stone, conch jewelry is glass, and tragus jewelry is steel and titanium.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #361 on: 20 Oct 2013, 19:16 »

A question of etiquette: should I shave my arms before I go in to the tattoo studio? My Artist has always shaved me down before we get started but my housemate was dumbfounded when he found out I don't shave my own arms before I go in.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

ackblom12

« Reply #362 on: 20 Oct 2013, 19:21 »

I personally would, but not so much to be polite as the artist is unlikely to be as kind and gentlt about it as I will be. I'm a delicate flower is what I'm sayin'.

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.
« Reply #363 on: 20 Oct 2013, 19:26 »

I usually get given the razor by the artist when we're setting up so I can shave the area myself, although the lady that did my forearm shaved it for me. I don't think it's bad etiquette to turn up with your hair still there.
Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #364 on: 20 Oct 2013, 19:29 »

I had to take my cartilage piercings out on the weekend :'(

I went to the piercer and he said that they should have definitely calmed down by now if I was treating them well (which I was), and that perhaps it was just my body's way of saying it didn't want them. I'm probably going to try again in a few months, but take it slower; just the top two done, with studs or rings rather than a bar, and see how that goes.

I miss them already.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

ackblom12

« Reply #365 on: 20 Oct 2013, 19:40 »

Retiring piercings is always a bit lousy, but at least you have a plan for next time!

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #366 on: 20 Oct 2013, 19:43 »

I remember taking out my remaining cartilage piercing during Latin class. It was bugging me too much so I tried to take it out without anyone noticing (not easy, the class was like 4 people around a table). The ball of the barbell was so small and my hands are big, so it moved around a lot and honestly it hurt more to take out than it did to put in. Had to go to the bathroom to wash it after because it bled a bit.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #367 on: 20 Oct 2013, 20:06 »

Yeah my eyebrows are still angry and they're about a year old. I actually moved them over from the other side after the original piercings rejected. Maybe I'm just not meant to have sweet eyebrow piercings...
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

ackblom12

« Reply #368 on: 20 Oct 2013, 20:13 »

I miss my eyebrow piercings a lot. I miss a lot of my piercings quite a lot really. Stupid Pneumonia. One of these days I'll start my 'collection' back up.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #369 on: 20 Oct 2013, 20:14 »

I remember I got my septum pierced and then couldn't sleep in it and took it out, knowing it would be closed when I woke up. It didn't make it any less sad when I woke up.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #370 on: 20 Oct 2013, 20:18 »

My daughter's eyebrow piercings are still bugging her a bit 14 months later.  She got some different jewelry a couple months ago - nylon, I think? - and they've calmed down quite a bit from the metal ones she had (they were good quality, no nickel, but just left her eyebrow angry).  She still gets the occasional crusties, but not as often. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

ackblom12

« Reply #371 on: 20 Oct 2013, 20:19 »

You might be thinking Teflon?

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #372 on: 20 Oct 2013, 20:28 »

Probably.  Very colorful, though! 

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #373 on: 20 Oct 2013, 21:42 »

A question of etiquette: should I shave my arms before I go in to the tattoo studio? My Artist has always shaved me down before we get started but my housemate was dumbfounded when he found out I don't shave my own arms before I go in.

I don't but I never actually considered shaving beforehand. The artists I've gone to were never rough with it so it just seemed like part of getting a tattoo.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #374 on: 20 Oct 2013, 22:01 »

It's never been a problem before. My housemate just thinks it's rude to expect the artist to do it despite it never having been an issue as far as I know?

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #375 on: 20 Oct 2013, 22:06 »

Carl, they're probably just acrylic if they're colorful. Teflon is generally only black or white. She may want to try titanium if steel bothers her.

I shaved my legs before I got my calf tattoos, but the artist insisted on shaving the area again anyway. So maybe if you're really hairy it's nice to get the worst of it before you go?

ackblom12

« Reply #376 on: 20 Oct 2013, 22:08 »

Hmm, Bio-Flex is also a possibility.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #377 on: 20 Oct 2013, 23:47 »

It's never been a problem before. My housemate just thinks it's rude to expect the artist to do it despite it never having been an issue as far as I know?

Oh, I'll ask my friend who is a tattoo artist on tuesday when we go bowling. He would probably have opinions on that.

Also its really cool that I'm friends with a tattoo artist. Our friendship was actually born out of him tattooing me and us just getting on really well and having similar interests.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #378 on: 21 Oct 2013, 03:47 »

I shaved my legs before I got my calf tattoos, but the artist insisted on shaving the area again anyway. So maybe if you're really hairy it's nice to get the worst of it before you go?

I've never considered shaving before hand, although thinking about it I wasn't shaved for my last one on the front of my shoulder. I think Neko's way sounds best and it's made me think I'll be doing the same for my planned calf tattoos.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #379 on: 21 Oct 2013, 07:50 »

No, I asked - she says they're nylon.  She was having trouble sleeping on them and they just weren't healing with the steel ones, so she got something more flexible.  They're finally healing nicely. 

Maybe this bio-flex stuff is a type of nylon?  I get tons of different hits on bioflex, from nitrile gloves to lifting gloves to joint supplements. 

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #380 on: 21 Oct 2013, 08:08 »

I have never heard of nylon body jewelry, but doing a search shows tons of results. It seems to be a form of flexible plastic. And honestly that would still worry me a lot. Even bioflex isn't that great in piercings.

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.
« Reply #381 on: 21 Oct 2013, 08:31 »

Also its really cool that I'm friends with a tattoo artist. Our friendship was actually born out of him tattooing me and us just getting on really well and having similar interests.

I have a friend like this and it looks like we might even end up renting a house with a couple mutual friends, in which case I can only imagine my number of tattoos is going to dramatically increase.
Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #382 on: 21 Oct 2013, 20:31 »

Just make sure none of them are preceeded by the phrase, "I wanna practice something..."

:-D

ackblom12

« Reply #383 on: 21 Oct 2013, 20:36 »

Huh, I'm genuinely surprised that Nylon body jewelry is a thing. If it works for her it works, but I'd definitely say the same as Neko.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #384 on: 22 Oct 2013, 13:16 »

My cartilage piercing seems to be healing well, it's been a week now and it basically doesn't hurt at all, unless I bump it. Also when I'm cleaning it there is almost no crust (don't know the actual word for it)or anything, which seems kinda weird to me, but I'm ok with that. Makes the cleaning easier.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #385 on: 22 Oct 2013, 14:15 »

I just call them crusties. And no crusties is a good thing! Do you soak it once in a while?

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #386 on: 22 Oct 2013, 18:20 »

The official term is lymph discharge. But crusties works just as well.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #387 on: 22 Oct 2013, 20:22 »

Crusties sounds less gross.

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #388 on: 22 Oct 2013, 20:27 »

The official term is lymph discharge. But crusties works just as well.

as in the Lymphatic System? huh. interesting. makes sense though i guess.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #389 on: 23 Oct 2013, 05:16 »

Yes, it's your lymphatic system that creates lymph. Lymph is the fluid that collects bacteria to be nommed by the white blood cell warriors at Infection Detection HQ. (As you can tell, my understanding of physiology is somewhat simplistic - I am unashamedly an arts student studying science!)
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #390 on: 23 Oct 2013, 06:07 »

IIRC, the lymphatic system is used to collect the fluids that weren't returned back to the vascular system by the tissue.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #391 on: 25 Oct 2013, 00:48 »

It's both.  The fluid collects bacteria from around the cells and the white blood cells clean it up for re-use. 

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #392 on: 25 Oct 2013, 18:17 »

I got an awesome new nose ring (looks the same as my others but it has a much smaller diameter, which means that it doesn't hang as low) but I don't have the hand strength to force the bead in, even with ring opening pliers :( I will be able to ask my piercer to do it tomorrow but I want to be able to do it myself!

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #393 on: 25 Oct 2013, 18:26 »

More importantly, you want to do it yourself NOW!!

:-D

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #394 on: 25 Oct 2013, 20:45 »

Exactly!

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #395 on: 26 Oct 2013, 23:23 »

My piercer loosened the ring for me and I got it in by myself :D

Those are also new beads on my bridge - and a new barbell that is high quality, my first piece of high quality jewelry. I knew there would be a difference between my old jewelry and this bar but holy shit. Huge difference. I love it.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #396 on: 27 Oct 2013, 11:14 »

That bridge piercing scares the hell out of me. That's not a bad thing and it's awesome, but the way it's positioned makes it looks like it goes through the bone! (Also are they usually that high up?)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #397 on: 27 Oct 2013, 15:57 »

see, that bridge piercing just looks like it'd get in the way of my vision. like there's something in the corner of my eye except its in the center of my vision where i just can't see it, like when something gets on your nose.

is that a concern for you at all?

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #398 on: 27 Oct 2013, 16:05 »

is it weird that I kind of want a grey imperial eagle on my shoulder?  I know i'd regret it soon after

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #399 on: 27 Oct 2013, 21:56 »

That height is very normal for a bridge piercing. Pinch the bridge of your nose, you have extra skin there! Some have more than others, and if it was too tight I wouldn't have gotten the piercing, for sure.

The beads took a little time to get used to, but it was very easy. Just like the fact that you can see your nose, but your eyes sort of forget it's there. If the beads are huge, it can be a problem, but they're close enough that I can't even focus on them.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20   Go Up