THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 23:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: Tattoos and other body mods  (Read 220500 times)

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
Re: Tattoos and other body mods
« Reply #400 on: 27 Oct 2013, 22:05 »

@lee: well it IS a cool image

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #401 on: 28 Oct 2013, 05:43 »

Also yeah I have no idea what that image is or what it means. What's wrong with wanting it as a tattoo and why would you regret it?
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #402 on: 28 Oct 2013, 12:46 »

Its pretty nerdy, and not mainstream nerdy like the rebel alliance symbol (which would be cool to get but rather just have a sticker of it on my car, should I get a car)

the two headed eagle is the Aquila of the imperium from Warhammer 40k
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #403 on: 28 Oct 2013, 13:04 »

What's wrong with non-mainstream nerdiness?
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #404 on: 28 Oct 2013, 13:05 »

The term "mainstream nerdiness" kind of depresses me.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #405 on: 28 Oct 2013, 17:39 »

Yup...

Who cares if it's mainstream, if you like it, you like it and that's all that matters. I'm considering a knitting/embroidery/fiber art related sleeve and wouldn't mind a Miyazaki themed one (the tree spirits from Mononoke Hime), I think you can get a Warhammer 40K tattoo...
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #406 on: 28 Oct 2013, 18:26 »

Stretched my conches again... I'm almost to my goal size of 4g!!

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #407 on: 29 Oct 2013, 06:17 »

Having my first session with my artist Sam Rulz tomorrow. So happy. So excited.
« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2013, 08:20 by Jimmy the Squid »
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #408 on: 29 Oct 2013, 06:20 »

Woo exciting! Good luck Jimmy, can't wait to see the results!
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #409 on: 29 Oct 2013, 06:54 »

*delurk*

While I've never really wanted more than one, if I ever decided I wanted to get a second tattoo, I'd probably opt for something like Mass Effect Paragon symbol.  So yeah, what's wrong with nerdy

(click to show/hide)

*lurk*

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #410 on: 29 Oct 2013, 07:06 »

the two headed eagle is the Aquila of the imperium from Warhammer 40k

For the Emphrah! Once I finish Gunsmithing trade school, I intend to get the following 40k tattoo on my shoulder...

Slightly modified of course, with a set of crossed rifles on the forehead to denote my position as a Magos Armature.

The other nerd ink I've considered is what I call "Das Ubergeek" which would be a combination of symbols and logos from a wide variety of nerd properties that mean a lot to me. I'd had to do that as a sleeve though, which would both be very expensive, and a real bitch to have in most work enviroments. Once I get my own shop open, I'll start looking at it more seriously.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Nikolai

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • H-Hello? Is this thing on?
« Reply #411 on: 29 Oct 2013, 08:08 »

I've decided that my left arm will be dedicated to all the symbols that hold meaning to me, be it from video games/nerdery or life actual. Up next are something Bastion-related, and something military that isn't horribly cliche. I'll let you know when I figure out what that thing is.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #412 on: 29 Oct 2013, 16:04 »

I got some Industrial Strength titanium jewellery for my healed cartilage. It's possible to find it online from UK retailers but it's pretty limited choice, I've found so far. They're captive bead rings and fiddly and I'm struggling to get the bead to snap back in. I'm not sure what to do since I'm not really comfortable with the piercer I've mentioned before any more and I genuinely can't think of anywhere to get them changed. I'm going to Manchester in a couple weeks so I'll see if there's anywhere there.

At least they're pretty rainbows?     

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #413 on: 29 Oct 2013, 19:01 »

Captive bead rings are definitely difficult to insert, especially in smaller sizes because they're too small, and bigger sizes because they're half impossible to bend. I do think you'll need someone to help you, though your partner or a friend might be able to do it.

Try going to the Industrial Strength or Anatometal websites and looking for closer retailers.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #414 on: 02 Nov 2013, 14:12 »

Ok these aren't great photos but I wanted to share my finally finished sleeves.

Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #415 on: 02 Nov 2013, 14:17 »

Awesome.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #416 on: 02 Nov 2013, 16:08 »

Those came out great!!!

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #417 on: 02 Nov 2013, 16:10 »

Whoa, those are class!

Metope

« Reply #418 on: 02 Nov 2013, 16:11 »

Wooo Jimmy I love it! It's so cool how the new ones really pop and the old ones fade into the background, I know that's just what happens naturally because of tattoo ageing but it's still a really really cool effect.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #419 on: 02 Nov 2013, 19:21 »

LeeC, the double headed imperial eagle's been a symbol outside of warhammer for centuries - the holy roman empire, the byzantine empire, the russian empire, the austrian empire, and the freemasons, just to name a few. 

Although most of the doouble headed eagles are not as stylized as the warhammer one, what it reminded me of more than anything else was the stylized nazi "iron eagle" (though that one's not double headed);

When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #420 on: 02 Nov 2013, 19:29 »

yeah the double head is usually enough to confuse people and then they would ask what it is.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #421 on: 03 Nov 2013, 00:20 »

Wooo Jimmy I love it! It's so cool how the new ones really pop and the old ones fade into the background, I know that's just what happens naturally because of tattoo ageing but it's still a really really cool effect.

Yeah it'll take some time for them to fade out to match the older work but it'll take a while. Also they're literally two to three days old now so they're still shiny and only just starting to scale.

Metope

« Reply #422 on: 03 Nov 2013, 02:45 »

Yeah, I remember when I got mine and I was disappointed it faded so much in the first two years because I loved the vibrant colours, but now I think I actually prefer it this way, it sort of fits more on a body muted? Like, now it looks like a part of my body rather than an image slapped on my arm. So I think your current situation (sans scaling) is cool because it's a variation of muted and vibrant, but it'll look great when it fades to match as well since it will look more like a natural part of you.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #423 on: 03 Nov 2013, 04:03 »

I actually really like the way tattoos scab and scale. I think it looks super cool and I'd be happy for them to stay that way if they could also not be painful to move and constantly itching. But really only black ink scales for me. All other colours just get kind of dry and then flake away. Purple always scars a little more than anything else, possibly because we had to go over it so many times because my skin is slightly dark.

Either way I'm really happy with my sleeves. It's been just about 3 years since I started them and now my arms are finished! I'll now need to find a new artist because Austria is too far to come for any future projects and they're all going to be quite large. I've already got my idea for a chest piece (a dead tree. Roots starting on my thighs and pubic mound, trunk going up on my stomach and then branches reaching up over my chest and then over my shoulders and around my ribs). I'm throwing around some ideas for a back piece as well that will have to go around my Dark Crystal tattoo but I'm thinking maybe the Hyrulian coat of arms with the eagles wings going around the Dark Crystal tattoo instead of the Triforce and some Zelda characters around it (Link, Zelda, a Zora, Goron and probably Skullkid).

Not sure what I want to do with my legs yet.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #424 on: 07 Nov 2013, 19:01 »

I had far too much fun picking - gently - at the tiny scabs on my tattoos. I tried so damn hard to let them fall off on their own but it was near irresistible.

Also I stretched my conches again. They were at 5g, an in-between size that I wanted to hit because cartilage is so painful to stretch. But the jewelry just wasn't staying in, and it barely added any pain to go on to 4g. Anyway, it felt like something scratchy was on the jewelry so I took it out of my left ear. Holy fuck that hurt. So much. There was nothing on the jewelry except the usual ear cheese so I had to put it back in and my eyes were watering.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #425 on: 07 Nov 2013, 19:19 »

The sleeves look great Jimmy!
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

indiespy

• Emoticontraindication
  • A spy who is indie
« Reply #426 on: 07 Nov 2013, 19:30 »

It's cliche but I want my old unit insignia on my left bicep. Not so cliche but I want my Tokarev tattooed onto my right upper thigh.

BrusselSprouts

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • kind of awkward
« Reply #427 on: 07 Nov 2013, 23:14 »

This is probably going to seem girly compared to all the other kickass tattoos around here, but I'm probably going to get something to the nature of the emblem of the city of Brussels

(click to show/hide)
tattooed... somewhere. I haven't quite decided the details on it yet. Probably on my back somewhere? I just want it somewhere that's not too painful and looks cool hahaha

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #428 on: 08 Nov 2013, 04:11 »

Rule of thumb: The more "meat" that is between the skin being inked and the nearest bone, the less it hurts. So shoulder/shoulder blade area (watch drifting too far down the back) thigh, calf are all relatively "not incredible pain" but then again I napped through ALL of my tattoos (except the one by my collar bone. Fuck. That fucking hurt.)

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #429 on: 08 Nov 2013, 06:28 »

First of all, girly is not at all a negative or less awesome thing. And girly can be plenty kick ass. Second of all, who cares if it's girly if you like it? It's your body, get whatever the fuck you want.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #430 on: 08 Nov 2013, 07:07 »

two ton twenty one has a monarach butterfly just above his ass.  And although he was pretty wimpy in the early seasons, after season 4(?) he became badass, even winning the respect of brock samson.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #431 on: 08 Nov 2013, 10:42 »

That doesn't look girly to me at all.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #432 on: 11 Nov 2013, 09:02 »

That's pretty! Is it just a modified fleur-de-lis or meant to be a particular flower? (I'm sure I can google it, but it's more fun to let you geek about it.)
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

BrusselSprouts

• kind of awkward
« Reply #433 on: 11 Nov 2013, 10:02 »

It's an Iris flower, highly stylized of course.

Sorry for kind of killing the thread, I was just a bit surprised how friendly everyone is here hahaha

Metope

« Reply #434 on: 11 Nov 2013, 11:05 »

The areas on your body where you have really thin and delicate skin is also painful, I have a tattoo on my upper arm, and while most of it didn't hurt much, the part that is wrapped around and sort of almost reaches my armpit hurt a LOT more. I've heard tattoos on your stomach/side hurts too, even though those are kind of meaty areas. Don't quote me on that though, I only have one tat.

(Also don't worry about 'killing' the thread, you didn't. Threads here just nap a little sometimes, it's not anyone's fault.)

BrusselSprouts

• kind of awkward
« Reply #435 on: 11 Nov 2013, 12:15 »

I can imagine the belly/rib cage area hurting A LOT. I don't like people touching me in that area because its super sensitive. I'll probably get it done on my shoulder or off centre on my hip, though I'm not too sure that'll age nicely

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #436 on: 11 Nov 2013, 13:02 »

Depends on how you age, stay healthy and your tats'll stay pretty longer. Not that I can talk, my body is beat.

Metope

« Reply #437 on: 11 Nov 2013, 13:04 »

Hip probably hurts a lot too, to be honest. I'd prefer shoulder/back anyway since it'll be visible more often too, plus yeah, the hip area is tricky in case you'll gain/lose weight at some point, which most of us do. I also know a woman who has a tattoo on her hip which looked great, and then she got pregnant. Now it looks... not so great. I would not want a tattoo in my belly/hip area for that reason since I might want kids someday, but each to their own.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #438 on: 11 Nov 2013, 14:35 »

....I'm suddenly jealous of Women's fashion, my upper arms/shoulders/back are never bare unless I'm shirtless for something, that was partially intentional on my part, even my collarbone tattoo is below where a v-neck collared shirt rests on me. What that means is that despite having three large tattoos and a small tattoo no one can tell I have any ink at all.

I've been itching for new ink though. There's the possible nerd sleeve I've been considering doing, but until I get settled into a trade job I don't have to worry about moving from or facing discrimination on, I don't want to make any weird moves.

The top contender is my long desired calf piece (left calf because for some odd reason I try to keep my ink asymmetrical) which would be a Celtic style sword with some runes, devotional symbols of Freyja, Thor and Odin.

BrusselSprouts

• kind of awkward
« Reply #439 on: 11 Nov 2013, 17:41 »

Garland, that sounds sweet and kickass

Getting pregnant isn't really a worry for me, unless I fall in love with a trans woman, but even then I would really prefer to adopt some kids. I'd be much happier giving someone an opportunity of a better life than just making someone who is privileged. Not judging the breeders though!!

I was thinking hip particularly because its the meatiest place on my body. I don't want somewhere overly obvious in case of conservative employers. and man do I talk about myself a lot I'm so sorry

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #440 on: 11 Nov 2013, 17:53 »

Eventually I'd want sleeves... maybe... probably not. Most of my ink is relatively private. The "nerd sleeve" (really a half sleeve) would be my first really... public tattoo I suppose, both in display and meaning. Heheh. My most visible piece is probably on my collar bone and it's in code.

U3NSNR

Any guesses?

And you're more then welcome to talk about yourself here! We're happy to listen!

I'm unlikely to breed as I find it less and less likely that I'll find a stable, reliable mate, however I wouldn't mind breeding at some point, if just so my eventual grandchildren can say "Oh yeah? Well my Granpa can kick your dad's ass!"

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #441 on: 17 Nov 2013, 06:47 »

Not judging the breeders though!!

Global Moderator Comment Please do not use the term breeder/s. It's really not a nice way to refer to people who desire to have their own children.

I really respect your decision to adopt! Not enough people want to put in the time and effort (since it's such a long process) to even do it and I really think people should. Same with foster parents.
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2013, 15:53 by Linds »

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #442 on: 17 Nov 2013, 10:52 »

U3NSNR

Any guesses?

Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken: No Surrender, No Retreat.

Gotta admit though, I had to google part of that. The U3 part I knew, but the rest must have slipped my memory. Also I like it!

I've been saving up some money and unless I blow it all on concert tickets (that's not at all an unrealistic thing to happen, I love concerts), I might have the money to get a tattoo done soon. Now I only have to settle for an idea. I'm terrible at such things.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #443 on: 17 Nov 2013, 12:44 »

Wait where'd you find it?

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #444 on: 17 Nov 2013, 17:07 »

First hit in google is some forum post on a site called Terminal Lances, whatever that may be. Someone there wrote what it meant. Fun Fact: The third hit is your post.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #445 on: 17 Nov 2013, 17:28 »

Oh. Hahahah. Terminal Lance is a Marine Corps website. The individual who posted that on there is me as "ChaplainKalashnikovMarine" or something like that.

Fun fact: I'm an ordained minister! (proof god is dead)

Now school circle yoohoos and I'll tell you all what a Terminal Lance is.

A Terminal Lance is a salty, disgruntled motherfucker who hates all existence and the bullshit that existence contains. He or she is OFP and gives 0 fucks.

Propaganda aside a Terminal Lance is a Marine who will never proceed past the rank of Lance Corporal for one reason or another. (Mostly the promotion system shitting on us). It's become a bit of a sub culture thing within the wider Marine Corps largely characterized as the "Lance Corporal Underground".

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #446 on: 18 Nov 2013, 11:31 »

Purple!

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #447 on: 18 Nov 2013, 11:35 »

It's pretty and shiny! It's even got the reflection of the camera or phone in it?

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #448 on: 18 Nov 2013, 12:52 »

Yup, my phone. That's Anatometal quality right there :D

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #449 on: 18 Nov 2013, 21:03 »

Purple metal is awesome.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20   Go Up