THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: Tattoos and other body mods  (Read 220349 times)

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
Re: Tattoos and other body mods
« Reply #650 on: 18 Mar 2014, 13:59 »

Aw man I wish you could come here. My piercer is amazing. And if the navel is done right, it lasts as long as you want it to.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #651 on: 18 Mar 2014, 14:46 »

Yeah, just between flights.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #652 on: 18 Mar 2014, 14:47 »

Dang. If you were there for even a few hours I would've been able to see ya :P
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #653 on: 18 Mar 2014, 15:45 »

Longest layover is just three hours but coming or going I'm sure I'll be so tired and jet-lagged I'm going to sleep through most of the traveling.

Aw man I wish you could come here. My piercer is amazing. And if the navel is done right, it lasts as long as you want it to.

Missed this earlier. I would love to go to your piercer and hang out with you. I really want a few piercings right now and I'm tempted to get them while I'm not working but I think that'd be taken as a sign I won't come back and I intend to in the summer. Plus it would suck to get something and only have it in temporarily so ideally I'd be getting a piercing that's not visible.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #654 on: 18 Mar 2014, 15:49 »

Since I work in an office, I get any new facial piercings done with clear glass pieces. Then once they're healed, I can change them to whatever fancy jewelry I have.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #655 on: 18 Mar 2014, 15:52 »

So what brings you to the Big Easy, Welu?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #656 on: 18 Mar 2014, 16:02 »

Since I work in an office, I get any new facial piercings done with clear glass pieces. Then once they're healed, I can change them to whatever fancy jewelry I have.

I really want to get a labret piercing but I work in a shop that's pretty strict, so I'd be scared of risking it. I really shouldn't have upper ear piercings but I'm able to hide them under my hair. My manager doesn't care but the higher-ups do and if any of them saw me working with visible piercings I'd be told to take them out, and higher-ups visit a couple times a week so there's no avoiding them. It's kinda bollocks considering they've no rules on tattoos and one lad and I have visible forearms tattoos and nothing has ever been said about them.

So what brings you to the Big Easy, Welu?

RASSLIN'! Gonna see Wrestlemania 30 and it's only two weeks away and I'm so excited!

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #657 on: 18 Mar 2014, 16:04 »

Nice! I was at 29 when it was in New Jersey.

Yes, New Jersey. In the same stadium the most recent Super Bowl was held in. WHICH IS ALSO IN NEW JERSEY.

(If anyone is confused, both were marketed as being either in NY or "NY/NJ", and while some of the lead up events were in the city...the actual events were at Met Life Stadium in New Jersey, damn it)

Anyway, my point is you'll have fun :)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #658 on: 18 Mar 2014, 16:10 »

There are plenty of easily hidden piercings... navel, nipple, crotch, dermal implants anywhere you want, septum, smiley... I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #659 on: 18 Mar 2014, 16:33 »

I want nipple piercings but I'm positive mine are too small. Like even when erect they're still pretty much flat, I'd be worried they'd be pierced too deep into the areola if done by the wrong person.
If I had a more reliable piercer nearby I'd get some kind of dermal implants. I could get them in the states but then if there's any issues I'm not sure who I'd go to for help.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #660 on: 19 Mar 2014, 06:08 »

So apparently there's the Association of Body Modification Artists in Ireland, but I've looked at the facebook page and I can't say I would fully trust them. I can't find another website for them so I don't know if it's just the FB page that looks sketchy or what.

I would definitely see a reputable piercer (personally, I prefer those that are part of the Association of Professional Piercers) for the initial piercings, especially nipples or dermal implants. But you can easily go to any piercer to have things removed - like the implants - and do just fine, as long as the shop is clean. I would suggest keeping in contact with the original piercer if you get an implant, so you can ask them questions and they can tell you if you need to get it removed. You can also go to a doctor if you need them removed, and they can usually do it with less trauma.

But as long as you have the right jewelry, there's not much you need the original piercer for.

To bypass all this though, you can just come stay with me for a month and get pierced <3

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #661 on: 19 Mar 2014, 06:19 »

Thanks for all the advice, Neko. It's really helpful and I'll have a good think about it. Maybe next year when I'm working again and have money I'll be able to see you!

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #662 on: 24 Mar 2014, 09:40 »

For those of you who want to see my full cuff, check out my book of faces, I just put the video up.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #663 on: 25 Mar 2014, 05:14 »

Shiiiit. I've got some discolored skin around two of the words and it's not washing... thinking I may have smeared a little T_T

In other news:
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/aug/11/devastated-by-my-sons-tattoo
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #664 on: 25 Mar 2014, 05:45 »

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/aug/11/devastated-by-my-sons-tattoo

I can't even think how to respond to that.  Yes, I will admit that I might have started with a somewhat similar reaction in the past, but with such intensity? such... selfishness?  She does end up saying it's all about how she feels hurt by it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #665 on: 25 Mar 2014, 05:54 »

Yeah I was rendered rather speechless... my mother was against my tattoos initially but she likes them now, she's even getting one. When in doubt widen your perspective.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #666 on: 25 Mar 2014, 06:52 »

That article has made me rage.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #667 on: 25 Mar 2014, 07:02 »

At least everyone she talks to tells her she's in the wrong.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #668 on: 25 Mar 2014, 07:32 »

Wow.... Soooo melodramatic. I can understand that she doesn't like tatoos and doesn't like it that her son got one in particular - tastes are different after all - but comparing it to losing an arm in an accident and saying he couldn't have done anything else to hurt her worse is extreme and completely inappropriate. What message does that send to her son?
Also, why do they even publish this? It's completely irrelevant to everyone else.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #669 on: 25 Mar 2014, 16:57 »

So... I'm kinda being paranoid, but could you ink experienced people take a look at these?

http://imgur.com/a/eLDpB

it's a little more visible to the naked eye but the skin around two words is a little greyish and I've never seen that before

My tattooist says just ride out the healing cycle and we'll see where I end up, I already know I need to go in for some touch up and thickening on some of the lines. You can acually see one of the runes that needs a little TLC in the upper right of the second image. Only one or two like that though, so very good over all.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #670 on: 25 Mar 2014, 20:10 »

Parts of my most recent tattoo had that look as well, at first. I have no idea what causes it, but it has gone away. Honestly, no matter what it is, you can't do anything about it right now. So it does you no good to worry. I think you need to do what your artist said, just ride it out and let everything heal before you get too concerned.

Remember that the tattoo gun injects ink deep into your skin. If some of the ink got smeared somehow, it would either wash off, or just be in the top layers of skin, like when you write on yourself with marker. Meaning that it will fade.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #671 on: 26 Mar 2014, 02:27 »

The woman in that opinion piece reminds me of my dad's reaction when I got my nose pierced. It wasn't really about the nose piercing, it was about his sudden realisation that he couldn't control what I did with my life, and his resulting fury. The fact that I recognised that, even at the time, did not make me any less homeless, however.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #672 on: 26 Mar 2014, 05:43 »

Wait, you got kicked out of your own home for getting your nose pierced? That makes that mom seem downright reasonable. I'm so sorry you went through that.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #673 on: 26 Mar 2014, 05:52 »

My dad didn't talk to me for 3 months after he found out about my tattoos. My mum always tells me not to get any more because I'm ruining my "beautiful skin that [she] made". She usually says this while rubbing my arm in a way that makes me exceptionately uncomfortable. But I also don't like being touched by people I hate so...
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #674 on: 26 Mar 2014, 06:49 »

I remember that article from a while ago and can't read it again for fear of rage induced headaches. I believe May has got it right though.

The woman in that opinion piece reminds me of my dad's reaction when I got my nose pierced. It wasn't really about the nose piercing, it was about his sudden realisation that he couldn't control what I did with my life, and his resulting fury. The fact that I recognised that, even at the time, did not make me any less homeless, however.

I'm sorry that happened to you.

My Da doesn't like modifications in any form, even obviously dyed hair (so unnatural colours or multiple colours), but he also doesn't really comment on mine. Any time I've shown him something new I've got either a vague shake of the head or, "Hm. It's not as bad as I thought it would be." My Mammy is more vocal about her dislike but she also came with me for support when I got one of my tattoos. Maybe because by asking her to come, I've shown I will always rely on her, despite making other choices totally against her will? Or maybe she's just more chill than she lets on.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #675 on: 26 Mar 2014, 09:12 »

I guess I'm lucky, then. My mom had a tattoo before I was born (a badly done heart on her butt), and had some ear piercings. She took me and my sister to get our lips pierced when I was underage, and now wants to stretch her ears - though not to the extent that I have. My dad just doesn't care either way.

My grandparents are curious and not happy about my mods, but they also don't see a point in complaining or worrying about them. My great grandmother definitely disapproves, so I always hide my facial piercings when I see her. The woman is almost 100, I don't mind doing things just to make her happy.
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2014, 09:46 by nekowafer »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #676 on: 26 Mar 2014, 09:23 »

My grandparents are not big fans of my ink, but are content to ignore it, of course it's harder for them to do now that I have an actual exposed piece on my calf, otherwise my folks are supportive, my dad does occasionally remind me about potential career issues, but I've gotten along fairly well in the world so far, so he's not too mussed any more.

I find Jimmy's mother and the lady from the Guardian article to be extremely creepy. It's almost a fetishistic attiude they seem to be taking towards their children. It just strikes be as being off you know?

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #677 on: 27 Mar 2014, 01:43 »

My mum always tells me not to get any more because I'm ruining my "beautiful skin that [she] made".
How very Confucian: "Our bodies, to every hair and bit of skin, are received by us from our parents, and we must not presume to injure or wound them. This is the beginning of filial piety."

I confess that filial respect is one of the reasons I would not get a tattoo other than a functional one for radiotherapy etc., but it is not a good reason to condemn others.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #678 on: 27 Mar 2014, 02:31 »

And if I believed in concepts such as filial loyalty or respect I would agree.

I do not. Fuck off, mum.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #679 on: 27 Mar 2014, 04:22 »

I would not get a tattoo other than a functional one for radiotherapy etc.

Props for being aware of those; I have four dots, two on the front and two on the back, for that very reason.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #680 on: 27 Mar 2014, 04:22 »

I absolutely respect my parents, but my meat is my meat. It's the only meat I have, the only meat I'm getting and the one thing I can truly say is mine.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #681 on: 27 Mar 2014, 12:59 »

I am quite happy to respect my parents' views on things, but they're not any more deserving of a controlling interest in my choices over my own body than anyone else who I spend time with on a regular basis. In fact I would probably be more influenced by the opinion of a partner than a parent. The point of having children is to raise adults. Adults get to make their own decisions.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #682 on: 27 Mar 2014, 13:10 »

My dad had the same reaction when I got my tattoo as your dad had to your piercing, May. When I told him I was planning on getting it, he told me he wouldn't give me the money he'd promised me for my education if I went through with it. I basically told him that if he thought he could use the promise of money as a way to buy me, and blackmail me if I didn't do what he said, he could keep it all to himself because I'm better off without it. Thankfully it made him realise he was being an idiot and apologised, and he even said he hadn't been thinking straight and of course I was right. Now he even likes my tattoo!
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
    • cumming on the face of society
« Reply #683 on: 27 Mar 2014, 13:52 »

Well that article made me super angry. And I agree with GM, there was some weird fetishising about her son there, definitely felt very uncomfortable reading that.

Neither of my parents cared about me getting tattoo's, I have 3, my dad has 4, my brother has 6. I don't see how it could ever be their right to criticise your decision on the aesthetic of your own body.
La vie est drôle

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #684 on: 27 Mar 2014, 14:34 »

My partner has asked I refrain from getting more visible tattoos and piercings before our wedding, although he knows they're important to me and hasn't outright tried to guilt me about it. I essentially told him if I can get them, I get them, but I'll keep his wishes in mind. He asked that months ago though and he seems more open to the idea of visible tattoos now. I think he just sees pain when he sees any kinda modification and that's where a lot of his dislike comes from, but now he's been with me during a tattoo session they're more mundane.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #685 on: 27 Mar 2014, 16:23 »

Gosh, I am so glad that my mother had a tattoo, so if I ever get one, I won't have to mess around with this emotional shit.

...provided she thinks rationally.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #686 on: 27 Mar 2014, 16:33 »

I bet my mom is really happy I have skin sensitivities/allergies to metal and never came home with more face metal. (I surprised her when I got my ears done and she took it in stride rather well, but those are just my ears.) Not that she doesn't want me to do it, she hates all facial piercings equally, but in the way where she gave my bff a face of disapproval when she got her nose pierced and then immediately got over it. If I did it, I'd probably hear about it, but she'd drop it once she realized I didn't give a shit. When the time comes where I finally get tattooed, well, if it's one that easily hidden I really don't think she'll care.

Just picking out what I want for my first tattoo is really freaking hard. I want something 8-bit, I want one that's knitting related, I want something done in embroidery stitches, I want some crow silhouettes, I want the f-holes ala Man Ray, I want this guy to do all of the cats I've had (Chinese and Japanese brush paintings are my art history geek zone), and there's several other ideas floating around in my head. BAH. I need to just pick one and GO.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #687 on: 27 Mar 2014, 17:02 »

I think it's easy to understand that as a parent you imagine futures for your child, and that sometimes the realization that those futures are not what will be can be a loss and lead to over the top reactions; parents are humans.  The thing that matters is if they can get over the loss of the imagined you and accept the actual you as an independent human being.  I also understand not wanting to cause ones parents to go through that.

When I came home with my very long honey-blond hair dyed jungle green, my mother cried and then was rather mean about it for a while.  It was a point of friction between us for a while, but now I sort of understand her reaction.  She hasn't mentioned my hair color in years.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #688 on: 23 Apr 2014, 07:58 »

Pink poodle socks, purple yoga pants, and a ferret tee: best outfit for getting tattooed? This was just a touch up on my STAY CALM thigh tattoos:

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #689 on: 23 Apr 2014, 08:46 »

I like your socks, Neko!

Design I'm thinking about, will bring it to the artist to work out spacing and maybe other font ideas. The one I put in was a rough place holder but the style is growing on me. I'm thinking of getting it on the side of my thigh.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #690 on: 23 Apr 2014, 08:59 »

Thank you! They were from footcardigan - a sock subscription thingy that an ex got me for Christmas one year :D

I really like that design, and the quote. I think the spacing could be a little more... even? Now, this is my obsessive need for symmetry, so if this is not something you care about, feel free to ignore me entirely. It could be like this:

For a moment, why,
I                     even
 touched the sky

(with the moon between I and even)

Or

For a moment,
   why, I even
touched the sky

(with the moon to the right or left)

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #691 on: 23 Apr 2014, 13:08 »

Yeah, I agree about the spacing. I like the idea of the two lines separated but it seems too awkward to get nice spacing that way.

For a moment,
   why, I even
touched the sky

(with the moon to the right or left)

This might be the best idea.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #692 on: 23 Apr 2014, 13:28 »

OR have the words in a circle around the moon. I have so many ideas for stuff that doesn't involve me but once it does, I have no ideas -_-

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #693 on: 23 Apr 2014, 15:25 »

I think most people are like that. Less pressure when it's not your skin, maybe.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #694 on: 23 Apr 2014, 15:28 »

Ooo, I like the idea of the quote going around the moon.

Also I am going to go meet a potential tattoo artist this weekend with two of my friends! My best friend and I made an agreement to get tattoos sometime after my birthday and before hers (mine is tomorrow, hers is next month) and another good friend is going to introduce us to her pretty awesome artist. Kind of excited.

Nikolai

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • H-Hello? Is this thing on?
« Reply #695 on: 01 Jul 2014, 05:58 »

First day back from deployment.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #696 on: 01 Jul 2014, 07:11 »

Yay ink!

Linds, did you ever get that tattoo?

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #697 on: 01 Jul 2014, 11:33 »

Nope. The artists at the place we visited had rather meh portfolios and also shortly after my bff found out she was pregnant. So no tattoos for her until December. (Then it's party on Garth.) There's an artist I really want to get in touch with, though. I'll link his stuff when get home.

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #698 on: 01 Jul 2014, 14:42 »

Hallo everyone!
Soo... I've never gotten any tatoo or piercing before, but I am thinking about getting one of my ears pierced (comparatively boring, I know :-P). The thing is, I have no idea how to go about this and I was hoping that someone here - who is prepared to answer some complete beginner questions - could go over some of the basics with me.
Thanks to anyone who answers! I am not on the forum much right now - I have summer holidays and am outside with no internet access most of the time - but I'll be sure to check this thread for answers!
- First of all: I only want to get one ear pierced for now, not both, and I'd like the piercing to be not in the "standard" place for an earlobe piercing, but higher up, so that I could later fit another earlobe piercing in the standard place below if I wanted to (but right now I really only want the one). Is that feasible/sensible for a first time piercing?
- I guess I had better go to a professional piercing studio and have the piercing done with a needle instead of with a piercing gun, right? How do I figure out which piercing studios are reliable and good? (I'm in Germany right now, but I'd also be interested in UK information.) I'll try to ask some people I know, but most of my friends got their ear piercings back at their homes (all over Germany; not where I am now).
- Is there any danger of being allergic to the piercing? I have never had any allergic reaction to jewellery before (as far as I can remember), but I don't wear much jewellery at all. Which material should the piercing be?
- How thick should the piercing be? I saw the discussion about different sizes earlier in this thread. I should probably say that I do not have the intention of ever stretching my piercing.
- I read that earlobe piercings heal in ~6 weeks. Is this realistic? Are there things one can't do during the healing period? I'm thinking about sports, swimming etc.
- Finally, how much should the whole thing cost? I guess this varies a lot regionally/internationally, but some estimates would probably still be helpful for me.

I am really quite scared of how much getting a piercing might hurt (I mean, I have no idea!) and that it might get infected (I'm kind of prone to infections), but I have wanted to do this for a while and now (or maybe rather towards the end of my holidays) seems like a good time in my life to do it.  And I guess if I am careful enough it should heal fine, right?

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #699 on: 01 Jul 2014, 15:02 »

I have 15 piercings right now (working on getting 3 more in the near future) so I'd say I have lots of experience. I'm writing from the US, I don't know if that will change the perspective on any of this, except the price.

- You can get just about anywhere on your ear pierced, whether it's your first or your 50th. The biggest question is whether it's in cartilage, or just flesh. That will change the feeling, desired size, and healing time. I'm going to answer these as though you want the piercing in just flesh, but if this is not the case, I will answer the questions again for cartilage, if you'd like. You can tell the piercer that you want to be able to fit a "traditional" ear piercing underneath this one, and they will mark it, then let you look at the mark to see if it is where you want it.

- I absolutely think you should go to a studio. Piercing with a gun is not only unsanitary, it can cause far more pain than necessary, cause a lot of scar tissue, and it is more likely to become infected, especially with the jewelry they use. You want to go to someone who will use a single-use, very sharp needle, and then use high quality steel or titanium jewelry (either a ring or a barbell) in the new piercing. What area of Germany are you in, if you're comfortable saying? I know piercing people around the country and might be able to give you an idea of where to look.

- The jewelry for a new piercing should be high quality steel (surgical steel is not necessarily high quality, you're looking for implant grade) or high quality titanium. Both are unlikely to cause an allergic reaction; but if you're worried, titanium is your best bet. It is safe for the large majority of people that use it for piercings.

- How thick the piercing should be will depend on what sort of jewelry you want to wear in it, and what size needles your piercer has. The "traditional" size piercing is 18g; these are the size of earrings you can buy in most shops. But if you find a good piercer, they should have a wide range of jewelry in various sizes, and they can show it to you before you make a decision on what you want.

- Healing time depends on how much you mess with the piercing. Six weeks is a pretty safe bet. As long as it is healing well, you'll be able to do just about anything that doesn't involve direct contact with the open, healing wound. I wouldn't suggest swimming until it is healed, just because it can introduce lots of bacteria to the wound. You would probably be okay, it would just make me nervous, personally.

- My piercer does basic piercings, with titanium jewelry, for $40, and I usually give at least $10 tip. That's in USD. I honestly don't know how much that price differs in other places.

The pain is negligible. The biggest issue, at least for me, is the anxiety, and bracing for the pain that I assume is going to be terrible. The only times I've almost passed out are when I was super tense. Also, piercing through just flesh is surprisingly easy and fast. It will be *deep breath in* *quick poke* *deep breath out* and that's it. The jewelry will feel a little uncomfortable going in, but then that's it. As long as you leave the new piercing alone after that (aside from cleaning), the pain should diminish pretty quickly.

As for infections, you just have to be careful what you let touch it. Nothing dirty; that includes clothing, bedding, hats, hair, hands, pets, etc. Clean it in the shower and one or two other times a day with a saline solution, and otherwise LITHA (leave it the hell alone)!

I am always happy to answer questions, no matter how "beginner", and I know the rest of us are too, so feel free to ask away!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20   Go Up