THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 23:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weapon you'd like to own ?  (Read 17758 times)

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
Weapon you'd like to own ?
« on: 24 Aug 2020, 07:13 »

So it turns out that Marigold would like to own a Naginata.  :-D

https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=4336

What weapon would you like to own, if any ?

Personally I kind of fancy having a classic mediveal longsword to hang to the wall. I just like the symmetry and the symbolism.
Carpe Diem

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
Re: Weapon you'd like to own ?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2020, 07:21 »

I already own quite a few:

Replica 'Wallace' Broadsword.
Katana replicas from Highlander and The Last Samurai.
Replica Longsword from Excalibur.
French sabre (genuine antique)
Mass produced 'prop level' basket swords (unedged)

As well as a healthy haul of high Q latex weapons for 'Viking' LARP.
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2020, 07:25 »

Frankly, I am hard-pressed not to fillet my hand with a cheese-knife. I know it would be fundamentally suicidal to trust myself with anything more specifically designed to cause harm.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2020, 08:26 »

Orbital death ray, assuming that it had a computer capable of finding any target(s) on the planet.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #4 on: 24 Aug 2020, 09:25 »

A Death Note.

No, uh, I would rather not have any weapons, cheers, even as ornaments. It took cracking this thread open to actually settle on my position there.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #5 on: 24 Aug 2020, 10:38 »

I followed an archery course as a kid, but a proper bow was far too expensive to purchase at the time, so I'd really like to have one of those. Particularly, this guy's "instant legolas" model.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #6 on: 24 Aug 2020, 11:05 »

Are guns acceptable answers? Because I'd love to own a Remington rolling block. beautiful gun, and the mechanism is so elegantly simple.
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #7 on: 24 Aug 2020, 19:26 »

A set of throwing knives or a tomahawk, both fun to throw at a stump in the backyard.
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #8 on: 25 Aug 2020, 01:00 »

Frankly, I am hard-pressed not to fillet my hand with a cheese-knife. I know it would be fundamentally suicidal to trust myself with anything more specifically designed to cause harm.
Well yeah thats why I only want to decorate the wall with it.

Are guns acceptable answers? Because I'd love to own a Remington rolling block. beautiful gun, and the mechanism is so elegantly simple.
I would say compared to an orbital death ray a gun sounds pretty harmless.
Carpe Diem

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #9 on: 25 Aug 2020, 07:01 »

I have a couple of rapiers and sabres, and a crusader style replica. A baskethilt prop, as well, though that's really too heavy handle much. A LOTR replica as well. I also have a morning star flail somewhere, but I don't really like it.

I used to have a nice die cast filigreed decorative halberd, but it broke. Anyone any thoughts on how to repair zamac?

In all fairness, most cheese knives I've seen people use, are downright dangerous, with their lack of cutting edge. The sharper your knife, the less power you need to exert on it, the less chance you have of glancing off, and hitting something you don't want. I'm a firm believer of proper edges on your tools.
« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2020, 07:07 by Cornelius »
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #10 on: 26 Aug 2020, 20:45 »

Katana, but IIRC that's japanese for just "sword". But yes, a samurai sword. Doesn't need an edge. Maybe a wazikashi (I hope I got that right), which is the same but as knife.

And a Mauser Modell 98. Because I love the aesthetic.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #11 on: 27 Aug 2020, 05:09 »

Oh the katana is in no way the japanese word for "sword" at all.

Quite on the contrary this was a very, very specific kind of sword, and the primary sword of the japanese warrior class, the Samurai.

If you even wear the edge downward instead of upward, the japanese already use a different word for that. If the curvature of the blade is too strong, different word.

And the Wakizashi isnt a knife. Its a onehanded sword, the secondary sword of the Samurai, for close quarters and for ritual suicide. Its also seen as the sign of the honor of the Samurai; Samurai who had no master would be called Ronin and not own a Wakizashi.
Carpe Diem

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #12 on: 27 Aug 2020, 06:32 »

Related question: I've seen animé in which a character uses a wakizashi as a parrying blade, dual-wielded with a katana. Did anyone ever actually do that or is it just fight designers trying to crowbar oriental weapon styles in with occidental fencing styles?
~~~~

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #13 on: 27 Aug 2020, 08:03 »

I'm not expert on Japanese swordsmanship but definitely dual wielding was a thing. The style is called Niten Ichi-ryū (二天一流).
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

N.N. Marf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • I came; I vexed; I left. Sorry.
« Reply #14 on: 27 Aug 2020, 10:38 »

A '64 Chevy Malibu.
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)
Quote from: Neil Young (Sixty to Zero, ¶5)
Now the jailhouse was empty
All the criminals were gone

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #15 on: 27 Aug 2020, 22:45 »

A '64 Chevy Malibu.

That does not fall under the definition of a weapon - unless, of course, you plan to drive into a crowd of protesters, as some right-wing extremists have done over the past few years.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #16 on: 27 Aug 2020, 20:09 »

Heinlein defined a weapon as "a device for the manipulation of matter or energy".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #17 on: 27 Aug 2020, 20:43 »

Heinlein defined a weapon as "a device for the manipulation of matter or energy".

...Isn't that pretty much everything? Or, does he mean something specifically designed for that task?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #18 on: 28 Aug 2020, 01:13 »

The OED's prime definition is: "An instrument used or intended to cause bodily harm"; secondary: "A means of gaining an advantage in a conflict".
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #19 on: 28 Aug 2020, 05:58 »

Why, my definition of weapon would be "tool specifically designed for combat", and for the purpose of this thread of course also decorative variants of such tools.

Thus no, stones for example wouldnt count, even if yes you can certainly use them for combat. Neither do cars.

Also not regular axes, as opposed to battle axes. The difference between the two is quite big, by the way, because battle axes have very thin blades and can cut much deeper. They would get stuck and would be hard to remove if you try to hack wood with them, though.

Likewise a regular hammer has a much shorter hilt, in order to have control over where the hammer hits, while a warhammer will favor range and impact energy and will probably also have a spike as an alternative to the blund head on the other side.

Of course all logic flies out of the window once we discuss fantasy weapons, since they typically look nothing like the actual weapon, which however would also be valid choices for this thread, because they are also decorative versions of actual weapons.
Carpe Diem

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #20 on: 28 Aug 2020, 22:51 »

Yeah, he also said that, “an armed society is a polite society.” So, I'd be careful about attempting to divine great insight into his quotes. He wrote some good novels, though, I guess.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #21 on: 28 Aug 2020, 23:16 »

I would say that improvised weapons, like carpenters' claw-hammers, for example (The Raid 2, warning NSFW-bloody), are still certainly weapons. Many pre-gunpowder weapons were based on agricultural implements like billhooks. I would argue that any object becomes a weapon once it is wielded with intent to cause injury. Purpose-made weapons have the intent to do harm built into their very creation, which is why making or trading in them is not Right Livelihood for a Buddhist.

Yeah, he also said that, “an armed society is a polite society.”
People who quote that unironically, I believe, think only in terms of other people being polite to them, not any obligation on them to be polite to others. But my opinion of Heinlein has never really recovered from reading his short-story "We Also Walk Dogs".
« Last Edit: 28 Aug 2020, 23:22 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #22 on: 28 Aug 2020, 23:23 »

I would argue that any object becomes a weapon once it is wielded with intent to cause injury.
Over here, any object wielded with intent to cause injury not only becomes de jure a weapon, but a forbidden weapon.
« Last Edit: 08 Sep 2020, 05:37 by Cornelius »
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #23 on: 08 Sep 2020, 02:51 »

I would say that improvised weapons, like carpenters' claw-hammers, for example (The Raid 2, warning NSFW-bloody), are still certainly weapons.
Why yes sure improvised weapons are weapons, but for the purpose of this thread, I was asking for actual weapons you'd like to own, not improvised ones.

Likewise a car is obviously a very deadly weapon, but its not what the thing has been designed for, and its not usually the reason why people want a car.
Carpe Diem

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #24 on: 07 Oct 2020, 02:30 »

Swords swords swords !!!  :-D

https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=4368

Swords !!!!!

Carpe Diem

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #25 on: 15 Oct 2020, 12:29 »

If it doesn't have to be a real one, the Kelvan paralyzer is humane and effective.

I might go for a phaser for the sheer versatility. Heating rocks could come in handy on a camping trip, for example.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #26 on: 18 Nov 2020, 21:47 »

While naginatas are cool, I'd go with either a guandao or a European pole-sword over a naginata.

I'd also go for a bardiche, demi-lune, monk's spade, billhook, ranseur, or partisan as my polearm of choice. I've fought using a straight up plastic paddle (the kind used in food manufacturing) and it was a pretty good fit for me.

Getting more up close, I'd like one of those heater shields with the bladed point and a bearded axe. I'm not really a sword guy combat-wise.

It'd be neat to own one of the outlandish gun-[weapon] combos. I'd go for either one of the rifle-battleaxes or a dagger-pistol.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #27 on: 18 Nov 2020, 22:24 »

I'd like two of some kind of sparring staff, like one of those two-handed wooden ones that show up in fantasy novels sometimes. Handy to defend myself if needed and fun to practice-fight with someone else (with minimal injury risk).

Gyrre

« Reply #28 on: 27 Nov 2020, 04:43 »

I'd like two of some kind of sparring staff, like one of those two-handed wooden ones that show up in fantasy novels sometimes. Handy to defend myself if needed and fun to practice-fight with someone else (with minimal injury risk).

I'll recommend fire-hardened oak or bamboo. Bambo can flex when you strike, and fire-hardened oak is a lot sturdier than other wooden bo staffs. I may or may not know this from breaking lesser quarterstaffs while working out some frustrations on the back patio.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #29 on: 27 Nov 2020, 06:51 »

I already own "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction" (a reciprocating saw and a hammer drill among them), and an occasionally sharp way with words, so I'm full up on weapons.
This space intentionally left almost blank.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #30 on: 05 Dec 2020, 10:31 »

Kukri are both weapons and tools, by design.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Wingy

• Is my cape on right?
« Reply #31 on: 05 Dec 2020, 13:54 »

After thinking about this some more, I want a phaser.  It can even be permanently set on stun.  I also want it internet enabled so I could zap certain nitwits via the web, but I could live without that.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #32 on: 05 Dec 2020, 14:12 »

A chrome-and-bronze 'Elemental Nature' double-ended lightsaber from Jedi: Fallen Order. Very beautiful design from the Respawn Games art team; the sort of thing that would do nicely as a conversation piece as well as a way of acknowledging my inner geek.
~~~~

Wingy

• Is my cape on right?
« Reply #33 on: 11 Dec 2020, 14:59 »

But does your rake double as a war rake.
Uh, no.  But I won't be picking up the garbage in the snow with it either.  It would be best used as a stepped-on booby trap in a war situation.

Dock Braun

• Curry sauce
  • Wear a mask.
« Reply #34 on: 11 Dec 2020, 21:42 »

Ah, that type of war-rake.
Trouble with the world isn't too many people―it's too many bodies. ---Professor E. Kingswater

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #35 on: 17 May 2022, 11:57 »

The Youtuber Skallagrim has made a video about what weapons he owns, so I remembered this thread here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Noh7ULCInI

Its sort of funny people want to own this much stuff.

Personally, as I said before, I'd want a symmetric longsword. Which Skallagrim doesnt have in his collection (He has a beautiful irish bastard sword, so thats pretty close).
« Last Edit: 17 May 2022, 23:49 by snubnose »
Carpe Diem

Caspian Sea Monster

• FIGHT YOU
  • This avatar shall remain in perpetuity after all.
    • My Twitter or whatever.
« Reply #36 on: 11 Jul 2022, 22:11 »

Late 16th century Munich town guard sword. Here's an original. Windlass Steelcrafts makes a replica but I've heard the weight and balance are extremely unfavorable compared to the original.
Other than that I have no opinion.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #37 on: 28 Jul 2022, 16:52 »

Oooh! I do like that! It's kind of like my jian, but with a more protective hand-guard. It would be more sensible than a rapier for the character I made for an RPG campaign (my first non-SF one!) that was sadly brought undone by Covid-19:
« Last Edit: 28 Jul 2022, 17:03 by Akima »
Pages: [1]   Go Up