THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Guitars, guitars, guitars  (Read 175817 times)

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
Re: Guitars, guitars, guitars
« Reply #300 on: 25 Mar 2014, 06:21 »

Baby Taylor is interesting to me. I like the fact the wife is playing an instrument that towers over her and I (more than a foot taller than her) play a tiny guitar. But I dislike Ukes.... Let me know how that works for you? Lately gas-sing over acoustic archtops.
http://elderly.com/vintage/items/45U-1677.htm
Hotness?
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

KingOfIreland

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Artist formerly known as Tuathal
« Reply #301 on: 25 Mar 2014, 07:49 »

The yamaha guitalele is a fucking amazing piece of kit too. 70 euros of beautiful sounding classical guitar at uke scale.
"Cock's Fresh Prepared steak"

Kwaping

• Pedals!
    • Kwaping!
« Reply #302 on: 25 Mar 2014, 13:16 »

I dislike acoustics in general, but that Baby Taylor is working out pretty well. Cheap, well-made, sounds passable, and most of all - easy to play. I imagine if you have large hands it might be problematic, but it's fine for me. The short scale is key to making it play like an electric - totally easy bends, for example. The portability doesn't hurt either.

Definitely try one out before buying, or at least get a good return policy. Being Taylor's low-end model, and not made in their normal U.S. factory, quality can vary greatly between individual guitars.  I played two at the store (Guitar Center) and the one I bought was drastically better than the other. I've never experienced such a noticeable difference between two guitars of the same make and model.
No amount of gear will make up for a lack of skill - but I keep trying!

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #303 on: 30 Mar 2014, 05:57 »

So..

I've gotten rid of my entire rack. I need a new amp now. LET THE GASSING COMMENCE

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
    • cumming on the face of society
« Reply #304 on: 30 Mar 2014, 08:10 »

What sort of amp you looking for? I've been liking the new Blackstar ID series for a good modelling amp, but I really want a Hughes and Ketner tubemeister stack, I've never played through such a full and creamy amp before.
La vie est drôle

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #305 on: 31 Mar 2014, 05:57 »

If it were a tool I was shopping for, I would shopping for the biggest, ugliest, most unsubtle and vulgar sledgehammer in existence.

Kwaping

• Pedals!
    • Kwaping!
« Reply #306 on: 31 Mar 2014, 07:42 »

Something Orange, maybe?

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #307 on: 31 Mar 2014, 10:09 »

Nah, the only one of those I'm genuinely interested in would be the Thunderverb 200 in all its KT88-y glory. There's no way I can afford that one. At the moment it looks mostly like I'm going to snag a JCM 900 SL-X. The SL-X has an entire extra gain stage built into the Preamp, so it essentially has the obligatory push-everything-into-full-ridiculous-insane-distortion-territory pedal you normally set in front of it built into the head itself. Nifty.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #308 on: 31 Mar 2014, 10:15 »

Also, a cool 100 watts of 6L6 brutality isn't half bad either. It's a single channel amp, so it's basically a hot-rodded JCM800 on steroids. If I can't snatch a Carvin MTS3200 for cheap it'll be this one.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #309 on: 31 Mar 2014, 11:47 »

God I fuckin love you man. You're a man on a mission. Shame I can't have you in my country band.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #310 on: 31 Mar 2014, 13:27 »

I'm not sure that would be advisable, for your own sake.

Also, the absence of blastbeats would make me mortally confused and disoriented.

TheCollyWolly

• Larger than most fish
  • pressganged into service on a gnome submarine
« Reply #311 on: 02 Apr 2014, 11:00 »

Well I got to play one of the new Silverface Princeton reissues, and I need someone that will pay $900 for my eternal soul. Any takers?

KingOfIreland

• Artist formerly known as Tuathal
« Reply #312 on: 04 Apr 2014, 13:16 »

So..

I've gotten rid of my entire rack. I need a new amp now. LET THE GASSING COMMENCE

SOVTEK BASS RIG
"Cock's Fresh Prepared steak"

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #313 on: 05 Apr 2014, 03:52 »

So..

SOVTEK BASS RIG

That would... Actually be a good idea. Unfortunately it's not something that's available near me.
Also, there's a Monster Effects Mastortion fuzz/drive for sale for super cheap near me. Oh dang...

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #314 on: 05 Apr 2014, 08:52 »

oh mannnn. I just realized something. the overwhelming majority of tubes manufactured today are made in Russia under the Sovtek brand. since it's Cold War II right now, what does that mean for folks like us?

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #315 on: 05 Apr 2014, 13:10 »

Well I dunno. I'd be okay with going back to solid states if I could manage to find a fucking Ampeg SS150 or VH140 anywhere in Europe. The Randall RG-series also looks quite promising, but I haven't tried those yet.

ALSO: Marshall Lead 100 Mosfet.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #316 on: 05 Apr 2014, 18:38 »

Well I dunno. I'd be okay with going back to solid states

well, that makes one of us...

IDMG

• Curry sauce
« Reply #317 on: 06 Apr 2014, 00:04 »

ALSO: Marshall Lead 100 Mosfet.

Those are pretty awesome, not gonna lie. Less dynamic than an actual JCM800 but not bad sounding.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #318 on: 06 Apr 2014, 02:46 »

There's a dude selling one on the other side of the country, but he won't send it.

Goddamnit.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #319 on: 06 Apr 2014, 14:28 »

Also; I can't afford a Verellen Meatsmoke.

Double-goddamnit.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #320 on: 07 Apr 2014, 15:49 »

So after (what seems like ages) of dragging 2 80lb PA speakers, 45lb power amp, mixer, drum machine, cabling, back up cabling, a 175lb bass cab, 100lb bass head, road cases, extra guitars, 200lbs of guitar plug-in-ables....mics, stands, more cables, back up power amp etc.... I'm down to 1 ginormous URB and my lightweight acoustic (Yamaha AEX500) guitar. No mics, just my naturally loud mouth and fairly quiet guitar. Going from the Parker Nitefly to the clodhopper yamaha was a bit of a challenge but has made me a better man. People can hear my voice blocks away, we actually got a radio gig because of that. Fuck Edison. (apologies Tesla, AC current is wonderful and efficient, I just don't need it for this). We are all gonna die, but Ima take some ears and hearts down with me.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while
« Reply #321 on: 07 Apr 2014, 18:27 »

Bahaha I know that feeling. Going down from all of my equipment to just busking with a guitar and my voice was a hell of a challenge (and belting out tunes sans microphones for four and a half hours really takes a toll on your voice.
The guitar, not so much of an issue for volume, as it's this old Maton from the 70's with possibly the biggest booming sound I've ever heard from a dreadnought acoustic. The thing is a piece of art.
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #322 on: 10 Apr 2014, 03:46 »

For the amount of love I have for playing in a band, I love performing solo, without my bandmates. In a group, you potentially have someone else to blame when fuckups occur, and vice-versa. Self-accompanied solo singing? Nobody to blame but yourself. If you're honest with your self-critiques (being careful not to be too harsh), it can be the most humbling and educational experience ever. Bonus points if you record some of your performances and listen back for nitpicking purposes. :D

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #323 on: 10 Apr 2014, 03:51 »

It also, of course, means that if you fuck up you can just go round the chord progression again and pretend no mistake was made. In a band you have to rehearse like FUCK.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #324 on: 10 Apr 2014, 16:20 »

It also, of course, means that if you fuck up you can just go round the chord progression again and pretend no mistake was made. In a band you have to rehearse like FUCK.
QFT
additionally if your drummer is a sequenced machine it just keeps going into verse 3 when you are figuring out wtf you did wrong on that chorus 2. It will leave you behind in a cloud of virtual dust...bastard!
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

IDMG

• Curry sauce
« Reply #325 on: 10 Apr 2014, 21:52 »

I've done open-mic drone things just as a solo electric player. is cool.

My voice should never be heard by humans.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #326 on: 11 Apr 2014, 02:39 »

Okay, little update:

I got me a Carvin MTS3200 50th Anniversary Edition. I'm a fan. These things apparently have a reputation (among those in the know) for being extremely underrated, overlooked amps for metal. Now, I've heard somewhere that these were more or less ubiquitous in the Californian PxV/HxC scene in the 90s, due to them being a great deal cheaper than most other tube heads.

Anyway, I chose this over the JCM 900 SL-X, and I am pleased I did. The gain channel on this thing is just ridiculous. The amount of low end it can crank out is borderline absurd. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with it. It'll do what I need it to do, and it is simple to operate.

There are some caveats, though:
- It does not have a master volume knob. This means that I couldn't quite run my Sansamp into the FX Return in any practical fashion, since I couldn't regulate volume. I found a workaround for this, though. I immediately snagged one of these: http://effektpedaler.dk/product.asp?product=5013
The clever thing about this, is that it can also TURN DOWN, to the point of turning off completely. So now I have a master volume knob, without having to go in and mod anything. Also, I got a sweet new boost pedal! Yay! When using the amp for my Grind band, I'll probably just run it into the preamp to give the whole thing a little slap and drive it a bit harder.

- The power section actually has EL34's. The exact type of tubes I was trying to avoid. But I'm okay with it; it sounds brutal so I'm happy. I'll just toss 6L6's in it, come next retubing. It has a bias switch on the back of it, so there's literally zero modding or adjusting needed. Lovely.

Kwaping

• Pedals!
    • Kwaping!
« Reply #327 on: 11 Apr 2014, 09:20 »

Congrats on a nice purchase!

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
« Reply #328 on: 12 Apr 2014, 06:54 »

Okay, little update:

I got me a Carvin MTS3200 50th Anniversary Edition. I'm a fan. These things apparently have a reputation (among those in the know) for being extremely underrated, overlooked amps for metal. Now, I've heard somewhere that these were more or less ubiquitous in the Californian PxV/HxC scene in the 90s, due to them being a great deal cheaper than most other tube heads.

Anyway, I chose this over the JCM 900 SL-X, and I am pleased I did. The gain channel on this thing is just ridiculous. The amount of low end it can crank out is borderline absurd. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with it. It'll do what I need it to do, and it is simple to operate.

There are some caveats, though:
- It does not have a master volume knob. This means that I couldn't quite run my Sansamp into the FX Return in any practical fashion, since I couldn't regulate volume. I found a workaround for this, though. I immediately snagged one of these: http://effektpedaler.dk/product.asp?product=5013
The clever thing about this, is that it can also TURN DOWN, to the point of turning off completely. So now I have a master volume knob, without having to go in and mod anything. Also, I got a sweet new boost pedal! Yay! When using the amp for my Grind band, I'll probably just run it into the preamp to give the whole thing a little slap and drive it a bit harder.

- The power section actually has EL34's. The exact type of tubes I was trying to avoid. But I'm okay with it; it sounds brutal so I'm happy. I'll just toss 6L6's in it, come next retubing. It has a bias switch on the back of it, so there's literally zero modding or adjusting needed. Lovely.

Sounds like a pretty awesome purchase man!

To be honest though, I think most people underestimate amps in general, a cheap, not particularly well made guitar can still sound great out of a very good amp. To be honest though, I don't really play metal so a lot of what you want from an amp is completely different to what I look for, I'm quite happy with my Fender 112, it's loud, it has a great clean sound, and it can really dial up the brightness when I want to get my twang on. It also sounds great with a fuzz pedal when I start playing some shoegaze.
La vie est drôle

Usurpatore Hominum LXVI

• Plantmonster
  • The man who walks his own road, walks alone.
« Reply #329 on: 12 Apr 2014, 20:17 »

Congrats on a nice purchase!

Speaking of nice purchases, a friend of mine just sold me a ton of pedals for around $100, including my long-sought after love - an MXR six-band EQ. Seriously, my tone is twice as ballsy now thanks to that little box.
The red in the sky is mine.

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
« Reply #330 on: 16 Apr 2014, 01:38 »

So I got my Squier Bass VI on monday, and after a couple of days of heavy usage, I can say that it is fuck awesome. It definitely needs some new strings (which I've already ordered, should be here today or tomorrow) and at some point the 9.5 radius Staytrem bridge would be a good investment for Ł65 to improve the intonation. In terms of tone and playability though, it's very hard to put down! I'll take some pics later in the week with the whole stable.
La vie est drôle

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #331 on: 16 Apr 2014, 01:44 »

Got to see this guy play this harp guitar at a show tonight. Should have video of my own to post a bit later.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Kwaping

• Pedals!
    • Kwaping!
« Reply #332 on: 18 Apr 2014, 10:44 »

Taekwondoin - I'm jealous!!
Jimor - my old guitar teacher plays a harp guitar. Random fact.

In other news...
I've been playing a lot of bass lately (Rocksmith is fun!), now when I go back to guitar the strings feel like steel spiderwebs. My guitar playing has actually regressed quite a bit since playing bass. But on the flip side, I don't care, because bass is fun!

Would a bass VI bridge the gap nicely between my newfound bass enjoyment and my established guitar skillz?

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
« Reply #333 on: 18 Apr 2014, 12:18 »

Would a bass VI bridge the gap nicely between my newfound bass enjoyment and my established guitar skillz?

Depends on what strings you use and what tuning you have it at. It's traditionally tuned E-E, but a bass E, there's no reason why you can't tune it up to B like a baritone though, that's what I plan on doing at least. Also, you can still play full chords even when tuned E-E, I'd say find one to try out first.
La vie est drôle

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #334 on: 18 Apr 2014, 13:06 »

Kwaping, bass is a whole lot of fun! If you want to stay good at guitar though, you're gonna have to practice it more. I'm very lucky to have a band where I play bass, but I switch between guitar and drums at my open mics. It's struck a nice balance, and every time I learn something on one instrument I seem to learn something else about the others.

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
« Reply #335 on: 19 Apr 2014, 07:30 »

As promised, here they all are.

From left to right, Fender Modern Player Mustang (with Mint Guard and witch-hats), Tanglewood Memphis, Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar HH, Squier Vintage Modified Bass VI

(click to show/hide)
La vie est drôle

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #336 on: 20 Apr 2014, 01:34 »

So I spent some quality time with my amp yesterday again. Hot diggity.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #337 on: 20 Apr 2014, 01:34 »

Taekwondoin: yep we can be friends

IDMG

• Curry sauce
« Reply #338 on: 24 Apr 2014, 16:28 »

loading off a lot of stuff recently

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #339 on: 25 Apr 2014, 03:08 »

Taekwondoin: I hate your fucking guts.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
« Reply #340 on: 25 Apr 2014, 07:48 »

I love you too.
La vie est drôle

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #341 on: 25 Apr 2014, 07:51 »

Aww - twue wuv on the fowum!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #342 on: 25 Apr 2014, 09:08 »

as badly as I want one, one thing I will never understand is why the Bass VI needs a god damn vibrato. makes no fucking sense to me

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
« Reply #343 on: 25 Apr 2014, 13:15 »

It's certainly an oddity, but it's a lot of fun on the higher strings and you can get some nice sounds from it. The one thing that annoys me about it is that on the Squier it isn't a locking trem, and using it too much just destroys the tuning. I guess it could be an easy fix with a full fender vibrato put in place, and that's something I'm looking to do in the future.
La vie est drôle

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #344 on: 25 Apr 2014, 14:47 »

nice, those trem units aren't terribly expensive either. like US$70

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #345 on: 25 Apr 2014, 15:32 »

in other news, I finally have a proper action photo that I posted to the pic thread in CHATTER, and forgot to post in the slightly more relevant thread til now.

god that thing makes me look like an actually big person

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
« Reply #346 on: 28 Apr 2014, 02:50 »

Ha that's pretty fucking awesome, pink guitars FTW!

Also, if anyone ever thinks that bass is unimportant...

I love that tone, and it's a Starcaster.
La vie est drôle

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #347 on: 28 Apr 2014, 03:36 »

If anyone thinks bass is unimportant, they've never tried to perform without a bassist. And apparently that video isn't available in the US, weird.

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
« Reply #348 on: 28 Apr 2014, 03:56 »

If anyone thinks bass is unimportant, they've never tried to perform without a bassist. And apparently that video isn't available in the US, weird.

If you can find it, it is Royal Blood and the song is Little Monsters, it's just a bass and drums with a kick ass bass tone.

And yeah, performing without a bass line is fucking hard.
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2014, 04:23 by Taekwondoin »
La vie est drôle

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while
« Reply #349 on: 28 Apr 2014, 04:03 »

Performing without a bass line is hard unless you have a pianist who knows what they're doing.
Or, at least in my case, knows how to drown out everything in glorious, fist-smashing, reverberating, bassy piano goodness. (Were there enough intensifiers in that sentence? I certainly don't think so)
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up