THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 17:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Can we have another fashion/clothing thread? Pretty please?  (Read 82341 times)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
Re: Can we have another fashion/clothing thread? Pretty please?
« Reply #150 on: 30 Aug 2013, 08:03 »

Yup! Sadly they often require an NUS card (National Union of Students) which I don't have and which costs £20 a year, I think. Not worth it, and I'm not mad about the NUS anyway. Some places do just accept uni IDs though. I still have my Cambridge one and no qualms at all about using it until I get my Birmingham one instead!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #151 on: 30 Aug 2013, 09:19 »

Oooh, those are all lovely!

I also feel the need to share that up until this recent discussion, I had never heard the term "skater skirt". I feel so out of the loop! Is this a new term? Something more popular in the UK?

May- there is also a discount code for 25% off when you enter "style25" at checkout. It only came up for me on the US version of the site, but you never know- it might work!
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #152 on: 30 Aug 2013, 09:53 »

Pretty sure they just make up names.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Papersatan

« Reply #153 on: 30 Aug 2013, 11:39 »

I've only seen 'skater skirt' used recently.  It seems to mean an above the knee skirt that is about 3/4 full. 

There are a lot of named clothing styles that I don't feel like used to have names, or at least not names consumers knew.  I have a theory about that. I wen't on a rant in the complaints thread about search technologies relying on words, and this is one example of how our reliance on an imperfect technology shapes us to it's limits.

When we shopped mostly in stores we never knew what clothing styles were called, unless they were really trending, or we read fashion magazines.  When you used to go to a clothing store and you had a style of skirt in mind you could say "I want something about mid thigh, sort of full, but I don't want to look like a square dancer!" or "a nice vintagy dress, with a structured bodice, but a pretty full skirt" and a sales clerk could help you find it.  Or it was easy to browse the racks and see what you wanted, particularly in more than one category at once (skirts and tops). 

Online search tools are pretty bad at this. If you are on a department store's website there may be 300 skirts available. If you know what to type in that search bar you will be more successful.  Some of them have pretty good filtering systems that allow you to filter by trait, but that trait will still be listed as "skater" or "fit and flare"

That said, google trends shows that 'Skater skirt' didn't gain traction until 2011, and is mostly searched in the UK and... The Philippines.
(Uk search index 92, Philippines 80, Ireland 53, USA 10.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

lepetitfromage

« Reply #154 on: 30 Aug 2013, 13:15 »

Hmmmm.....makes sense. I mean, the skirt style itself doesn't look that new to me. :-P

Also- thanks! Your posts are always so informative and insightful :-)

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #155 on: 30 Aug 2013, 15:51 »

I also feel the need to share that up until this recent discussion, I had never heard the term "skater skirt". I feel so out of the loop! Is this a new term? Something more popular in the UK?
I thought that too. As far as I am concerned a skater skirt is this:

Dorothy Perkins seems to have nice stuff; it's a pity they don't operate in Australia. I liked everything that Papersatan linked (especially that first dress), though that is probably just a reflection of her good taste. The dark red dress Nekowafer linked is gorgeous!.

Edit: Somehow I messed up the image link before.
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2013, 16:27 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #156 on: 30 Aug 2013, 15:53 »

I'm really hoping that most if not all of those things are a) in stock and b) fit me, because I want them all! I didn't go to DP today, but I'm planning on going there first tomorrow.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #157 on: 30 Aug 2013, 15:53 »

The only place I've seen the term skater skirt, before recently, was a knitting pattern meant to recreate a skirt from 40s photos: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/PATTskatingqueen.html
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #158 on: 30 Aug 2013, 16:01 »

I just thought it was because they looked like vintage ice skating skirts - short circle skirts that had a nice twirly effect when spinning in skates. Like this:

:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #159 on: 31 Aug 2013, 10:52 »

Style advisory panel, my mum and I went shopping today!

When I say shopping, I mean "trying things on and letting the possibility of purchasing them percolate until at least Monday". We didn't make it to M&S or Dorothy Perkins, because we couldn't find them until 5.30 at which point we urgently needed a sit down and a drink (handily, the M&S cafe has soya milk! So I had a delicious caramel latte).

Here are the things I am considering.

Black and white heart print dress. I would have preferred this in blue or possibly dark red but only black exists.
Floral dress. I'd wear it with a cardigan because it (and the black heart dress) has the classic "look at the side of my bra" problem under the arms.
Denim dress. I'm dithering over this, because it's cute but not quite smart enough to wear on placement, I don't think. (I still don't know whether I would wear uniform or civvies on community placements anyway so this might not matter.)
Denim skirt. This is much longer on me than on the model!
Kitty cat jumper! I'd need to wear something under it to smooth out the lines but it's nice.

I did buy this navy cardigan with cute pockets. It's smart enough for work but not just a boring blue, I like it :)

Papersatan

« Reply #160 on: 31 Aug 2013, 11:22 »

Love the cardigan.

I also love the kitty jumper, the floral dress and the denim skirt.

Can we talk about the low cut armpits on all these damn dresses that insist on showing your bra? because that is a HUGE pet-peeve of mine.  Usually I wear one of those lacy camisoles under them in a matching color and they cover the bra and aren't as noticable I think, but I shouldn't have to do that, damnit.   

I bought the most amazing dress from Eshakti, it would look AMAZING on me, but I can't wear it because I can't find a single bra that will look suitable under it.  Part of that is a bloo bloo no one makes good bras for my size complaint, but even the best strapless bra is going to show out the sides, because these armpits are HUGE.  I don't want to wear it was a cardigan, because I wanted a sundress to wear out in the sun on hot days.  <pout>  It is too late to return it, because I was convinced if I just found the right bra...   I am considering turning it into a skirt, but that is just a waste of what could have been the perfect dress.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #161 on: 31 Aug 2013, 11:31 »

I reckon the problem is, they design the dresses for small sizes and people with small breasts can wear more flimsy bras, which don't have the same side panels. Then they scale up, but don't take account of the more industrial size of underwear. I hate it!

Papersatan

« Reply #162 on: 31 Aug 2013, 11:55 »

I think you're probably right.

For reference, here is the dress:

It's hard to see because shitty pic, and my bra is black, but the dress ends where my finger is, and the rest is bra hanging out:

Also the straps could use to be an inch shorter because they fall down, which would not be a problem if I could wear a real bra, but because it is so low cut the whole way across, I have to wear a strapless bra, so I can't attach the dress straps to anything.

The good side, is that I paid $1.40 for this dress because I used the gift cards I got when you guys used my referral codes.  So I didn't really lose anything.  I can still wear it with a cardigan, I just don't want to have to.

I have also been trying to figure out if I could replace the straps in a way that would fix my problem, matching the blacks would be hard though. 

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #163 on: 31 Aug 2013, 13:13 »

Why not just take in the straps at the top of the shoulder to remove that inch?
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #164 on: 31 Aug 2013, 13:30 »

I think she meant, replace the straps entirely so they're cut in a way that would provide enough coverage to allow for a regular bra? Most strapless bras have a round top on the cup, more or less like Ariel's seashells, and also like the neckline of the dress, but on a bra with straps the cup tapers up in a triangle to where the strap connects so it would show.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #165 on: 31 Aug 2013, 13:45 »

I don't know about Kat's dress specifically but often if you adjust the strap length, the dress won't fit any more - the allowance for the breasts gets shifted up and you end up with a waistline-on-the-nipples scenario.

Papersatan

« Reply #166 on: 31 Aug 2013, 13:55 »

I could take the straps in enough to fix them falling down, but it won't fix the low arm pits.  It's a structured bodice, so it can't sit any higher on me than it does now.  The straps don't attach like normal straps. they curve under the arm, forming the top of the side of the dress.  I was thinking I could replace them and make them thicker under the arm to cover the bra. 

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #167 on: 31 Aug 2013, 22:55 »

I'm pretty flatfooted, so Chucks are some of the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn.

:?  I'm missing something - I'm completely flatfooted - no arch at all, my footprint's a perfect triangle.  And I can't wear keds or anything without arch support without incredible amounts of pain after a few hours of walking.  I have to wear orthotics with shoes that already havew an arch support if I want to be comfortable all day. 

This is why the armed forces refuse flat feet - we can't slog the distance. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #168 on: 01 Sep 2013, 01:36 »

Best shoes I've ever worn: Campers.
Seriously. They are the most comfortable shoes. I don't even know how many pairs of campers I've owned over the years.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #169 on: 01 Sep 2013, 07:11 »

Campers is a brand? 

This is what found.  Many of them look like Keds. 

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #170 on: 01 Sep 2013, 08:13 »

This is their official website.

This is the classic Camper shoe, super comfy, called Pelotas:

The shoe is known for having weird soles:

And this is the shoe I got most recently, called Seamar:

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #171 on: 01 Sep 2013, 09:35 »

I have a thing for Adidas and have several pairs. Also some PF Flyers in bright purple to fill my need for Chucks-like shoes.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Papersatan

« Reply #172 on: 01 Sep 2013, 10:18 »

Makes sense; 'Pelota' is Spanish for 'ball'. 

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #173 on: 01 Sep 2013, 15:04 »

Kat, some fashion bloggers I follow have complained about eshakti's low armpits, even when using custom measurements. So you're not alone on that one.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #174 on: 02 Sep 2013, 16:47 »

Re: Campers, I've owned three pairs of these shoes, and they've all become wrecked within a few months despite the price tags being through the roof. My latest was a high heeled pair of sturdy looking leather boots, where the insoles slid down into the tip of the shoe almost immediately, and when I took them back to complain I basically got a 'tough luck' answer and no help. The guy explained to me that instead of stitching the insole to the sole, the glue it on, so when the inside of the shoe gets damp (which happens in all boots when you walk for a while and your feet get sweaty), the glue disintegrates and the insole detaches. I asked him why they do this when they know it will happen, and he gave me a bullshit answer about tradition. So basically they make shit quality shoes because they've always done it that way, and then charge like 160 quid for it. No thanks.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #175 on: 02 Sep 2013, 17:51 »

So did we ever reach a consensus on black or green chucks? If it helps the rest of my wardrobe is jeans and a tshirt.

Metope

« Reply #176 on: 02 Sep 2013, 19:11 »

Navy blue chucks.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #177 on: 02 Sep 2013, 21:20 »

So did we ever reach a consensus on black or green chucks?
When in doubt, go with black.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #178 on: 02 Sep 2013, 23:52 »

Are we talking kelly green?  British racing green?  Neon green?  Mr. Green?   :mrgreen:

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #179 on: 03 Sep 2013, 01:25 »

Probably something like this if I can find it:

If not I guess I'll just roll with black.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #180 on: 03 Sep 2013, 01:33 »

found em online. Will purchase before winter

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #181 on: 03 Sep 2013, 13:32 »

What about solid green or solid black for a change? I don't know what combinations Converse makes but I have these PF Flyers:

On a different note, for those of you that are US women's size 10 and up:

http://www.gwynniebee.com/

Gwynnie Bee is a monthly subscription service for size 10-28. You pay a monthly fee for access to an unlimited wardrobe and unlimited free shipping.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #182 on: 03 Sep 2013, 15:55 »

What about solid green or solid black for a change? I don't know what combinations Converse makes but I have these PF Flyers:

I'm not a huge fan of the all black converse and they don't offer all green. Got the thumbs up on the color from the girlfriend as well so it'll be those shoes for the next couple years.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #183 on: 03 Sep 2013, 16:47 »

Kat, I thought you were still talking about shoe sizes and was like :-o size 28?! And then realised you were actually talking about clothes, not humungous monster feet.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #184 on: 04 Sep 2013, 17:08 »

Oh yes so I booked a personal shopper appointment at Debenhams tomorrow (it's in 13 hours now!). It's free with no minimum spend limit, and although obviously the point is that they persuade you to buy things, I was already planning on that. I might well end up buying some of the things I linked to at the weekend, but I thought I'd see if they came up with anything I liked even more.

I'm still thinking about going to Dorothy Perkins to look at the clothes that Kat found, too, although I will have to see whether I can afford it. I've set myself a strict spending limit for tomorrow.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #185 on: 05 Sep 2013, 12:40 »

Triple posting, wooohooo!

I bought clothes, you guys! The personal shopper thing was great, I just sat there and the clothes came to me! It wasn't stressful, it wasn't tiring, and she chose things that looked really good and some of them fitted really well (some of them did not, but that's always the case).

I got:
A black dress with hearts on
A black dress with cream chiffon sleeves and collar (doesn't seem to be on the website)
An orange top
A grey cardigan
A red and purple floral top
A pink top
A navy skirt
A grey skirt with pink

I'm pretty happy that I managed to stick to my budget - I spent £12 more than the amount I got given a cheque for, and I didn't have to decide against buying something I wanted but I also didn't buy anything I didn't love. I can mix and match most of what I bought with each other, and everything will also match at least one thing I already owned, which is great.
« Last Edit: 05 Sep 2013, 14:09 by Barmymoo »

lepetitfromage

« Reply #186 on: 05 Sep 2013, 12:49 »

Very cute!! I love those teensy bows on the cardigan pockets.

I want a free personal shopper! Do we have those in the US? Can we? It sounds fabulous.

(FYI-The link to the navy skirt is bringing me to the pink top.)

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #187 on: 05 Sep 2013, 13:04 »

My guess is that high-end stores, Nordstrom's for example, certainly do. But Googling on Macy's personal shopper indicates that it does as well.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #188 on: 05 Sep 2013, 14:11 »

The link to the skirt is now fixed. I actually checked the links, and figured I'd just clicked the pink top twice! Duh.

I imagine many department stores have the service, because it's a great way to get people to spend more money. I hate clothes shopping, I find it depressing and exhausting and overwhelming, especially in big shops with lots of people. Sitting in a comfortable chair in a large dressing room with no one else there and having a woman with a good sense of style bring clothes to me? That I can get behind!

I don't imagine I'll be buying clothes again for a fair while, other than possibly another set of running clothes, but in a few years I might repeat the exercise. They also have a special service for wedding outfits, particularly bridesmaids and mother of the bride, and an express special-occasion one-outfit session for people in a hurry.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #189 on: 05 Sep 2013, 15:09 »

I really like the navy skirt! It's very cute and just interesting enough to be versatile.

lepetitfromage

« Reply #190 on: 06 Sep 2013, 09:04 »

Ooooooh, I do too! The shape of it is great.

Hmm....perhaps the next time I need a wardrobe update, I'll look into one. Right now is definitely not the time to be buying clothes.

Papersatan

« Reply #191 on: 09 Sep 2013, 18:13 »

Adivce me!

Interview tomorrow. 

Black suit with herringbone shirt

or

Navy suit with white shirt?

Or I guess black with white shirt.

The navy pants fit me a little weird (they are tight around the calf) but the black jacket fits a little weird at the shoulders.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #192 on: 09 Sep 2013, 20:14 »

I see the problem, the blue suit's legs taper a good bit more than the other's.  The sleeves also look a bit long. 

I'd go with the black suit, though.  The shoulders may feel a bit weird, but it looks like a better fit, and the (herringbone? I think it's houndstooth?) shirt is visually interesting without being distracting. 

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #193 on: 09 Sep 2013, 20:28 »

It is houndstooth. And I agree with Carl.

Papersatan

« Reply #194 on: 09 Sep 2013, 21:27 »

It's totally Houndstooth.  I dunno why I wrote herringbone. 

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #195 on: 21 Sep 2013, 08:13 »

Found a new clothing site and I've found three dresses I like and may buy for the Christmas work do this year. I know I'm looking really early, if I don't do it now I'll leave it to the week of the do.  :psyduck:

I'm leaning toward the blue dress but it and the middle have see-through backs. Second choice would be the strapless dress. I have no idea how I would wear these though since strapless/backless bras do not bloody work.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #196 on: 21 Sep 2013, 08:27 »

Longlines do. 

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #197 on: 22 Sep 2013, 00:33 »

Also the straps could use to be an inch shorter because they fall down, which would not be a problem if I could wear a real bra, but because it is so low cut the whole way across, I have to wear a strapless bra, so I can't attach the dress straps to anything.

The good side, is that I paid $1.40 for this dress because I used the gift cards I got when you guys used my referral codes.  So I didn't really lose anything.  I can still wear it with a cardigan, I just don't want to have to.

I have also been trying to figure out if I could replace the straps in a way that would fix my problem, matching the blacks would be hard though.

If you're looking for fabric for the straps, why not just get fabric to raise the side of the dress a bit? You might even be able to  make the neckline taller and more bra-accommodating?

After you've done that you might not have to change the straps at all.

If you're not a very sewing-abled person (I'm sure as hell not!) considering taking the dress to a tailor. since the dress was fairly cheap you can justify paying the tailor as part of paying to get a dress that you really want.

Metope

« Reply #198 on: 24 Sep 2013, 12:27 »

So what are people's opinions on dresses like these?

Personally I can't make up my mind wether I like it or not, but I'm leaning towards liking it. It's also on sale, should I buy it?

Papersatan

« Reply #199 on: 24 Sep 2013, 12:37 »

I think this is one of those things that you could wear and look very cute in, but would look terrible on me.  (like that blue and green tablecloth looking dress you were in love with years ago).  I am not a fan of "you need to flatter your body type" but clothing sends a message, and there is no way for the message to not be changed by your body. 

I think if you wore them (particularly knowing the rest of your style) they will look nice: casual and reminiscent of work wear.  If I wore them I would either look like I had 'given up' or like I was in a porn (given my tit to bib ratio). 

What I am saying, is go for it.  I like the stripe too.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up