THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 08:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Can we have another fashion/clothing thread? Pretty please?  (Read 80663 times)

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
Re: Can we have another fashion/clothing thread? Pretty please?
« Reply #400 on: 25 Oct 2014, 17:16 »

Thank you, Dalillama - and no worries, I wouldn't post a pic if I wasn't comfortable with comments. And that dress is wonderful!
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #401 on: 17 Nov 2014, 17:27 »

FOUND MY WEDDING DRESS! Okay I know I posted one I really wanted a few weeks back, and while I still like that one I found one I LOVE! it's a little less traditional and a little more my style, I figured why not wear something I could see myself wearing at a different event, wedding dresses always seemed kind of scary to me because they're supposed to be so special. This one is also special, but it's more "beautiful dress that I want to wear because I like it" than "Wedding Dress I will wear to perform the bridal role" Also I'm clumsy and the thought of everyone watching me while I'm wearing a long dress and high heels is super scary, so a short dress and ballet flats it is. I want to wear something I'm comfortable with, not something everyone expects me to wear just because it's supposed to be a certain way. Anyway, this is it:

I will accessorize a lot differently than in that photo, but you get the idea. I've already bought it and given the designer my measurements so she can alter it, so no takesies backsies! Eeee!
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #402 on: 17 Nov 2014, 17:34 »

beautiful!

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #403 on: 18 Nov 2014, 03:46 »

It is a lovely dress, and I think it will still work very well in a garden-party wedding context.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #404 on: 18 Nov 2014, 06:31 »

I think you'll look smashing, Kris! I like this one a lot.

I have a fashion question for thick legged ladies - where do you buy your leggings? And do you know of any place that sells fleece lined ones?
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #405 on: 18 Nov 2014, 06:39 »

Oooooh, pretty!!!

Linds, I get mine at H&M- they sell super stretchy ones that are cheap and awesome. I lucked out on my fleece lined ones at Job Lot for $5 a pair but a friend of mine bought hers at JC Penney last year and she loves them.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #406 on: 18 Nov 2014, 06:49 »

That dress is so pretty!

Metope

« Reply #407 on: 18 Nov 2014, 07:17 »

Thanks everyone! I'm so excited!

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #408 on: 19 Jan 2015, 16:00 »

I think I found The DressTM...

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #409 on: 20 Jan 2015, 00:35 »

Apparently it does require you to be 10 feet tall or to wear stilts, though.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Metope

« Reply #410 on: 20 Jan 2015, 08:12 »

Eee! Super pretty!

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #411 on: 20 Jan 2015, 08:59 »

I have no idea if I'll get it but the shape and black decoration is exactly the style I want. I may get sleeves though. Don't want to be pulling up a strapless dress all day.

Metope

« Reply #412 on: 20 Jan 2015, 09:05 »

You could maybe find some sort of cardigan or a bolero type of thing to go over it? I'm definitely getting a cardigan to go with my dress in case it'll be chilly in the evening.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #413 on: 20 Jan 2015, 09:07 »

Yeah, I'll have to get some kind of sleeves or cover because it'll be in Autumn.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #414 on: 20 Jan 2015, 09:14 »

I did something very different and bought brown dress pants (not khakis).  Wearing a dark turquoise polo.  I think I look great.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #415 on: 20 Jan 2015, 11:42 »

Welu, it's so pretty!!!

I have no idea if I'll get it but the shape and black decoration is exactly the style I want. I may get sleeves though. Don't want to be pulling up a strapless dress all day.

I think my wedding dress was the only strapless dress I've ever worn that I never had to pull up. With alterations and the right undergarments, you probably won't have to worry about it. But if you do, adding lace cap sleeves is pretty easy.

lepetitfromage

« Reply #416 on: 20 Jan 2015, 11:57 »

Beautiful! My dress was strapless as well and I don't remember ever having to pull mine up either. It fit like a glove :-)

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #417 on: 20 Jan 2015, 12:31 »

Little Cheese, every time I see your avatar I want to listen to the peppers 

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #418 on: 20 Jan 2015, 12:46 »

We'll see in a year or so. I'll definitely be posting photos of fittings and stuff when they happen. Oh yeah, plus the actual wedding. :)

Edit: I found a similar one with small sleeves and I'm waiting to hear if it's available in any nearby stores. I think it's also the less expensive one so that's tempting.

« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2015, 13:01 by Welu »

Metope

« Reply #419 on: 20 Jan 2015, 13:19 »

That one's nice too, but I think I prefer the first one, mostly because I think the black part on that one is a more fun and bold.

Oh yeah, actual wedding... I don't know if I've mentioned the current arrangements for mine, but because I won't be able to move to the states until autumn we've decided to postpone the wedding till summer '16, since more of my friends and family will be able to make it over in summer and it also means not having to rent a venue since we'll just be outside in the yard. Anyway! Because of visa reasons we need to get married within 90 days of me arriving in the country, so we're planning on doing a quickie at city hall (technically we'll be married months before the actual wedding)... should I wear my wedding dress to city hall? Seeing how it's already arrived and it's not a super extravagant dress, would it be okay to wear it twice? I really like it and want to wear it when I have the chance, but I also don't want to be overdressed for a quick ceremony with no parties at city hall. What on earth do people who get married that way wear?

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #420 on: 20 Jan 2015, 13:44 »

A friend of mine who married an American had to do the same thing. They were technically married by a judge(?) in an office a few days after she arrived in the USA on her "fiancée visa". They had a "service of blessing on a civil marriage" in church the following summer, because they wanted 1) a religious ceremony and 2) an event that their friends and families could share.

My friend just wore a skirt-suit to the civil marriage, but a more "bridal" white dress for the service of blessing and subsequent garden-party.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Metope

« Reply #421 on: 20 Jan 2015, 13:54 »

Yeah, I might wear something casual, sounds like the exact same thing really. It really is the most sensible thing since it's really hard to pull together a wedding in 90 days, especially when half the guests have to cross a giant ocean to get there.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #422 on: 20 Jan 2015, 17:04 »

This thread continues to make me jealous of the sheer number of options for clothes women have, and I'm saying this as a man wearing a skirt (albeit it's a kilt) right now.

Especially shoes. It's insane trying to fight a good pair of knee length or calf high boots in men's sizes that isn't a bloody cowboy boot...
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #423 on: 20 Jan 2015, 20:53 »

They probably still have the 20-eye Docs.  Probably a better match to a kilt anyhow.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #424 on: 21 Jan 2015, 15:12 »

... should I wear my wedding dress to city hall? Seeing how it's already arrived and it's not a super extravagant dress, would it be okay to wear it twice? I really like it and want to wear it when I have the chance, but I also don't want to be overdressed for a quick ceremony with no parties at city hall. What on earth do people who get married that way wear?

If you want to wear it, I say go for it! Buuuut if you want to get that first look from your dude when you start walking down the isle, that's a pretty special moment. (Actually that's my favorite part of any wedding, watching the groom's face when the bride starts walking down the isle.) On the flipside, though, if you want to wear it more than once, this is definitely the best chance to do so. I wish I had a reason to wear mine again.

Metope

« Reply #425 on: 21 Jan 2015, 15:19 »

I get that look from him every time we see each other  :-D

But yeah, I don't really think that matters. He's seen the dress (actually, he's seen it while I haven't since I got it shipped to his address), and we'll probably get ready for the wedding together anyway. After having waited several months several times I don't really feel like doing the "bride and groom shouldn't see each other before the wedding" thing. Also, since it's the most expensive dress I've ever bought I'd like to wear it more than once. I just hope it won't be too dressy for the dull office we're getting married in...

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #426 on: 21 Jan 2015, 16:22 »

On a wedding ring note:
http://domesticity.gawker.com/if-you-buy-a-harry-potter-engagement-ring-you-should-no-1680663930

I can't wait for this to hit Tumblr, thou hast aroused the wrath of the fandoms!
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2015, 09:24 by GarandMarine »
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #427 on: 22 Jan 2015, 03:33 »

They can fuck off.

Also Kris, it doesn't matter if you're too dressy. You're getting married! Also bring a little brightness to that dreary place. Might cheer everyone up. :)

lepetitfromage

« Reply #428 on: 22 Jan 2015, 06:50 »

I agree! I think the fact that its short lessens the formal feel, too. You can style it differently than you do for the wedding- maybe adding a pretty shawl or shrug to it? It could look really pretty with a beaded or lace one! I love the idea of wearing the same dress but really changing up everything else- hair, shoes, jewelry, etc.

I'm loving all the gorgeous dresses in this thread right now. Keep 'em coming!!!  :-P

(Oh yeah, and the author of that article can suck it. Where's the fun in engagements and weddings if you can't include your personalities??)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #429 on: 22 Jan 2015, 09:26 »

Considering engagement rings are a "tradition" manufactured by quite literally the worst company on Earth to drive sales you may as well have fun with it.

Take it away Adam!

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #430 on: 22 Jan 2015, 09:59 »

Wear your Viking Invader outfit including cartoonish horned helmet to let them clearly know what you're there to do. You could wear the dress too, and wear the helmet for only one event, that way everyone's attention will be diverted and it'll be like you only wore it once.

Those of my friends and acquaintances who've gotten married at the city hall or the like have dressed in different ways. Some went full-on princess bride while others stuck to nice skirt-suits and the like.
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Metope

« Reply #431 on: 22 Jan 2015, 10:56 »

Yay, Linds and Cheese have convinced me, I will wear the dress! I like the idea of switching out everything else too, I can wear a pretty pair of flats and maybe a nice cardigan... we will see.

And yeah, nothing wrong with fun engagement rings. The fact that two adults who want to get married can look at an important life decision with a more relaxed view and also include their mutual interest into the engagement somehow tells me that they should get married.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #432 on: 09 Mar 2015, 20:01 »

My duffel bag is too bulky to take into work when all I'll have in it is my packed breakfast, a water bottle and a book to read.  I've been thinking about messenger type bags but am unsure.  This on in particular strikes my fancy as I like the idea of wearing in cross the body but it may be slightly too small as I'd like a separate compartment for the book in case the breakfast spills or leaks..

Any ideas or suggestions?
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Papersatan

« Reply #433 on: 11 Mar 2015, 09:16 »

I like that, idk how bulky your food generally is, but you could put it in a cheap lunch bag like this inside that bag:

In clothes news, I am wearing shorts in public for probably the first time since middleschool, when I only long baggy men's shorts, these are mid thigh and tight. Feels fucking great, and I honestly feel hot as shit. Selfie probably forthcoming.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #434 on: 11 Mar 2015, 09:23 »

The bulky bit is the 750ml water bottle, everything else is small.  Now the books I read are about a couple of inches thick with length and width being various sizes. Sometimes its just a novel, other times its tech books to study.  The lunch bag would be too small for all that.

Was also thinking about this one.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #435 on: 11 Mar 2015, 14:04 »

Stuff over one shoulder is really bad for the back. I much prefer how such bags look but I already have back issues.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Aimless

« Reply #436 on: 31 Mar 2015, 15:19 »

So, I seem to have lost my dress shoes in the move...  does anyone know of any Manhattan stores where I can get a decent pair of dark brown leather dress shoes at a fair price or just for cheap?

lepetitfromage

« Reply #437 on: 31 Mar 2015, 20:31 »

DSW is always my go-to when I need nice shoes and don't want to spend a lot. There's one in Union Square that I remember enjoying. There's another on 34th as well.  :-)

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #438 on: 31 Mar 2015, 20:45 »

Marshall's/TJ Maxx is also worth a try. The selection's hit-or-miss, especially for men's shoes, but the prices are good. Whatever you do, just don't go to Payless. Their shoes are crap.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Aimless

« Reply #439 on: 31 Mar 2015, 21:49 »

Thanks, will check those out! If anyone knows of any others holla :) it's the first thing on my itinerary :o it's hard to find good leather dress shoes without breaking the bank so I'm pretty sad about losing mine :(

lepetitfromage

« Reply #440 on: 01 Apr 2015, 07:02 »

Best of luck! I feel the same way about my leather boots. It's hard for me to find them so when I do, I get super bummed when they finally crap out.

I have a question!

I thought I was content with the idea for my interview outfit tomorrow but I'm worried that it isn't "professional" enough. I've searched high and low for a suit and gave up because I couldn't find one that fits me well and actually matches. For some reason, it is practically impossible to find suit separates made for women that actually GO together. You can have a pinstripe blazer or pants- not both. Or you can have both in black but the fabric is different so the blacks don't match. Oh, and when you find something that is acceptable, they'll have your size in one piece but not in the other. Another fun problem? Being able to find pants that fit great but then realizing that the largest size jacket they make in that line won't button over your bosom. Or it buttons just below and makes you look like you're trying to be Dita Von Teese.

Erm....where was I? Oh yeah!

I'm meeting with an associate dean of a college and want to look as professional as possible with the items in my closet. I can't do button downs and most of my pullover shirts are just not professional enough (loud, low cut, cotton or sheer). I have a pretty lace skirt and a black short sleeve sweater that I'm likely going to pair with tights and my aforementioned boots. I'm thinking about stopping by the mall tonight after work to pick up a nice black blazer to put over the outfit I have planned but I want to make sure it doesn't look silly. I didn't think far enough ahead to bring my outfit with me and I can't go back home before the mall.

Let's pretend that the shirt is black instead of green and we've almost got my outfit (those were the closest things I found. Boots are exactly the ones I have). The skirt hits just below the knee but about an inch or so above the boots. Blazer or no blazer?

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #441 on: 01 Apr 2015, 16:34 »

Looks fine from here. Maybe something other than black for the jacket/blazer? Unless you gravitate toward black for one reason or another (I tend to), having the jacket in another color -- something neutral that'll go with other stuff you own -- can make the sweater pop a bit more.

Then again, since that's coming from someone who's in the habit of throwing a jacket on over a basic button down or a decent solid t-shirt, jeans, and nice shoes, you may want to take that with a grain of salt. :D

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #442 on: 18 Apr 2015, 00:41 »

Would a Kingsman-style suit be usable in the US for normal suit things? In other words, if I got one, would it be useful only for cosplay?

Are they fundamentally unusable for someone who's fat?

I'm kind of inspired by the Harry Hart look but come from a background of believing that clothes are a nuisance tolerated so as to avoid arrest and to provide pockets. It would take a lot of mentoring for me to get it right.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #443 on: 18 Apr 2015, 08:59 »

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use it for normal suit wear as well (I had to Google it, since I had no idea what you were talking about). It looks sharp.

As for the weight thing... ergh. Whole 'nother issue. I seem to carry most of my weight around my midsection, which makes sizing a nightmare. Lately, suit jackets seem to accentuate the gut. Some of it comes down to whether you're going to buy off-the-rack or if you can/will get it custom-tailored. As for me, I'm hanging onto a lot of my stuff 'til I lose the weight again, 'cause I don't dress formally(-ish) often enough to buy for my current weight.

And don't worry about "mentoring." I mean, someone with a good eye helps, but as you try more things, you'll get a feel for a look that you're happy with and that suits you (.5  :claireface: since last pun was only partially intended).

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #444 on: 19 Apr 2015, 11:23 »

There's at least one source that says fat men shouldn't attempt double-breasted suits.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #445 on: 19 Apr 2015, 12:41 »

MEH. I have always thought double-breasted suits look the best and if you like them, wear them. If it's tailored well, it'll look good.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #446 on: 21 Apr 2015, 16:04 »

There's at least one source that says fat men shouldn't attempt double-breasted suits.
I have heard this too, but I think it's a load of rubbish. If well-tailored, I think the double breasted suit is more flexible for a man's body-shape than single:

The only downside of double-breasted, is that you can't wear the jacket unbuttoned. A double-breasted jacket flapping open looks bad on anyone IMHO.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #447 on: 21 Apr 2015, 16:17 »

Double-breasted is the classic style. The tailoring makes all the difference, in any event. If it's shapeless, it's not going to do you any favors whether you look like Paul Reubens or Sydney Greenstreet.

Metope

« Reply #448 on: 22 Apr 2015, 04:19 »

People who say "fat people can't wear this and that" are basing their opinions on that you look bad just because you're fat and anything that isn't made to conceal or tone down your size will look bad since skinny is the ideal. Screw those opinions, wear whatever you want. The important thing is that the clothes need to fit you.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #449 on: 29 Apr 2015, 12:58 »

Thanks, all.

I'll pursue this for fun and maybe for generic normal suit purposes. I got some encouraging feedback from a master cosplayer.

Come to think of it, do we have a place (and enough interest) to discuss cosplay?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up