THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:04
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Can we have another fashion/clothing thread? Pretty please?  (Read 80593 times)

Zingoleb

my opinion is that clothing shouldn't be divided by gender and you can wear whatever you want

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

I think that anyone who wants to carry things regularly should have a cute bag to make it easier.

If you want opinions on specific bags, that might be a thing the fashion thread could help with?
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

mtmerrick

Opinion: Asians are 2-20 years ahead of us tech-wise. they're 2-10 years or just completely retarded when it comes to 'modern' fashion or aesthetics.

Tldr: do not look at those areas as fashionable,  IMHO.

The above said, manbags are easy to make look feminine or just plain ol derpy. But if you can find a decent looking one that works for you it can be a quasi-neat look. They're certainly pretty practical.

If you're not concerned about fashion at all (and the obvious security risk they pose), then why are you even asking us - go for it.

I personally prefer a backpack, but a manbags can go more places, so......

*shrugs*

Papersatan

Opinion: Asians are 2-20 years ahead of us tech-wise. they're 2-10 years or just completely retarded when it comes to 'modern' fashion or aesthetics.

Err... That's sort of a problematic assessment. 

Perhaps, 'trends are regional, and so what is fashionable in east Asia at the moment is not necessarily on trend in North America' would be a better way to express that....

Lines

• Awakened

I tend to think the Japanese have a better sense of aesthetics than most Americans do, but that's just my opinion.

And you know what, satchels are practical and convenient. If you feel like you'd get a lot of use out of one, go for it. Sometimes it's annoying having a purse, but sometimes it's hella useful.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.

I think a leather belt pouch is damn manly.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

If you carry more than what fits in your pockets you're carrying too much day to day.

Addendum: carrying a laptop is permitted in a backpack. Backpacks should never be rated for fashion but rather size and function.

Disclaimer: I only wear jeans, tshirts, and gym shorts all day every day.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Eh I disagree on the tech level, Japan is running on Windows Vista, uses Fax machines and has actual PAPER WORK still. (as in as the bulk of the work being done is on dead trees)
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

This is Chatter, not Discuss, so in the interests of harmony, I'm not picking up this gage.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Very prudent.  But I'll just add that yesterday I heard a radio interview with the editor of the Chinese edition of Vogue, who was described as "the most powerful woman in the worldwide fashion industry."  Quite simply, at that level, the Chinese market is now the largest in the world by value.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese

Eh I disagree on the tech level, Japan is running on Windows Vista, uses Fax machines and has actual PAPER WORK still. (as in as the bulk of the work being done is on dead trees)

Uh yeah my office runs on XP and we use fax machines every single day. Often. We also have a fuck-ton of paperwork - on paper - that we cannot get rid of. Maybe 70 large filing cabinet drawers full? And this is after a purge.

Back to clothing! Boy that I like needs a suit. It has to be relatively cheap, and does not need to be high quality - this is more for fun than for business, as he works at a seafood restaurant. He is the skinniest boy alive and needs something slim-fit that works well with his frame. Anyone have any suggestions? There are a bunch of good-looking ones on ebay but they're basically all from Hong Kong and while this is not inherently a problem, it means that returning for fit issues becomes much more difficult.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

ackblom12

Seriously, the corporate shift to digital archiving is incredibly new in the US. It's incredibly new for the entire world really. Paperwork was (and in many ways still is) simply the most reliable method of data storage for a very long time.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

I have two manbags. I keep the strap pretty long all the the time, but nobody has really told me it looks terrible.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

my opinion is that clothing shouldn't be divided by gender and you can wear whatever you want

Also I completely agree with Unicorn here. If you want to carry a bag, carry a fucking bag! Who cares what it looks like if you use it?
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

Or alternatively who cares if you use it, if you like what it looks like.  :-D
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses

Alt3: Just carry a bag! It doesn't matter if you hate it and never use it - bag-carrying is compulsory! >:(
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

After 4 years I've finally started to wear through the soles of my high top chucks. Looks like its time to buy another identical pair.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr

Back to clothing! Boy that I like needs a suit. It has to be relatively cheap, and does not need to be high quality - this is more for fun than for business, as he works at a seafood restaurant. He is the skinniest boy alive and needs something slim-fit that works well with his frame. Anyone have any suggestions? There are a bunch of good-looking ones on ebay but they're basically all from Hong Kong and while this is not inherently a problem, it means that returning for fit issues becomes much more difficult.

Slim fit for sure on that boy. Have you checked like Kohl's or Burlington Coat Factory? Online at least, Burlington's most expensive jacket is $100.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Seriously, the corporate shift to digital archiving is incredibly new in the US. It's incredibly new for the entire world really. Paperwork was (and in many ways still is) simply the most reliable method of data storage for a very long time.

Here I figured the Marine Corps was usually BEHIND the bell curve tech wise. Even the security company I work for is almost 98% shifted to electronic everything. I haven't seen a fax machine in use in years, my office had one when I was doing Operations, but it was unplugged in a corner, everything was moved by PDF with electronic signatures except for the few things we needed a hard copy archive of like the flight schedule, pilot log books were also kept in physical form as well as electronic, but that's tradition more then anything else.

After 4 years I've finally started to wear through the soles of my high top chucks. Looks like its time to buy another identical pair.

This is an excellent fashion choice. (not sarcasm, I love my chucks)

As for suits, if you want a good suit on the cheap and aren't really looking for a specific cut (English vs. Italian vs. American) locate a good tailor (if you live near a military base go that one, they're usually cheaper and they know what they're about) and then make a run to your local good wills/salvation armies, find a suit as close to size as possible in good condition. You'll pay no more then $30. I have three Italian suits from this method, and they're all tailored. I don't care if you're having the suit made for you, or you're buying it off the rack, it needs to be measured, fit and tailored to the wearer in person. Sure it's an extra $10-$20, but it's well worth it. Especially considering how much you're saving on the suit itself.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Thanks, both of you! I found this online, and I like it a lot: http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-c26473/billy-london-slim-fit-sharkskin-suit-separates.jsp

I guess we will be going to Kohl's soon! And I will definitely check out some thrift shops. I just can't wait to see him in a suit <3

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I haven't seen a fax machine in use in years,

In my office we use faxes constantly; it remains the most secure method of transmitting information (patient data in clinical trials in this instance) between a wide range of parties with independent control over their security infrastructures (pharma companies, and hospitals in different countries).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Not sure what to tell you then, maybe our electronic systems were just more secure, but the Corps is usually on the back end of high tech, never saw them when I was working security at Lockheed Martin with one exception, there was one in the printer/copy room closest to the VP's office because the big boss still preferred ye olde tech. I realize that's a limited pool of "Department of Defense", "Large Global Defense Contractor" and "National Security Firm" but I'm actually truly surprised.

Papersatan

This is a thing I am qualified to talk about!

US government offices are more likely to use electronic communication than private industries because they 1. have money and 2. a federal mandate to attempt to do so.

Government records keeping is a big deal and the US National Archives is charged with securely storing all federal records with legal or historical value forever. 
Their holdings are currently:
approximately 10 billion pages of textual records; 12 million maps, charts, and architectural and engineering drawings; 25 million still photographs and graphics; 24 million aerial photographs; 300,000 reels of motion picture film; 400,000 video and sound recordings; and 133 terabytes of electronic data
-NARA Website

There comes a point when the logistics of storing this much paper is no longer cheaper than mandating that departments start storing their records electronically, and so the federal government has ordered government departments to take steps to stop using paper.  The two biggest reasons organizations give for aiming for a 'paperless office' are complying with regulations, and to reduce storage costs.  Many organizations operate without strict record keeping laws, and don't generate enough volume for storage to be more costly than change.

Electronic records keeping costs 1. new equipment and software 2. new training for staff to learn this new equipment and software  3. IT support for this new hardware and software. In addition, it may require a lengthy review by the legal and records departments to make sure that the new systems actually meet records keeping requirements, and are secure enough not to put the organization at risk, both from unauthorized access and from loss.  It is well and good to laugh at an office that is still using XP and printed forms, but if it does what they need, why would then spend the money on an upgrade, and they spend the money to retrain all their staff.  It it ain't broke...

Simply adopting a new technologies to transmit information can put an organization at considerable risk if there is not, built in to the new methods, some way of capturing things that need to be kept. 45% of companies allow emails to just remain in user inboxes, if these emails contain sensitive information or need to be kept as records this puts them at tremendous risk, but purchasing and training staff on a system that can capture these records is costly, as a result  18% of organizations resort to printing emails and storing paper, and many (I don't have a number) rely on records that are paper-based to start with.  Large organizations, particularly ones that regularly need to transmit secure information, can ensure their communications are securely encrypted and that there a protocols in place to prevent breeches (think reply all disasters), it is another hurdle for smaller organizations. 

Allowing things to be born digital and stay that way has a lot of benefits, and more organizations are realizing that they will have to change eventually.  This is great because it ensures me a career.

Kat
MSI- Archives and Records Management (Anticipated Dec 2013)

:-D

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.

OH MY GOD. I believe that I have found the designer I will trust to make my wedding dress, should I ever choose to get married. holy shit these are gorgeous.http://wai-ching.com/

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

I was going to say I'd steal your designer but One. That'd be mean. and Two. My Da knows a person up for the task any way. Though yeah, those dresses are amazing.

May I use this thread to share shoes I will never be able to afford but wouldn't have the confidence to wear even I owned them?

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses

Ow my ankles! How do people even wear shoes like that?

Papersatan

practice

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

So cute!

First, they have platforms in the toe section - so they're not as high as you'd think. And second, it's mostly just a skill you learn. I still can't do super thin heels, but I'm okay with wedges or thicker heels.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

I can walk in them okay, mainly just out of practice. My problem is due to how I walk I wear down the heels unevenly and cause them to have a prominent slant. It's cheap enough to fix but irritating and hard to unlearn the way I walk.

Lines

• Awakened

I pretty much never wear heels, because the one in style are far too tall. And make me feel like I'm Godzilla. (Which sometimes is a good thing! But seriously. I do not need to be 6'3"-6'4" when dressing up.) I'm digging that first pair, though! I love heels that are styled that way.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

I really like shoes...

And I need to wear these two pairs more often, but they don't really fit my style anymore.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Oh, man, that's nothing.  My wife's closet is three feet of solid shoes, all the way down. 

Not to mention the pile at the foot of the stairs. 

And the other pile by the back door. 

Girl's got is-shoes. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

lepetitfromage

• addicted to the shindig

Ohhhhh....shoes........*sigh* I love them.

There used to be a store in the Manhattan Mall called Square One....super cheap stuff, not really what anyone would call "quality" but at $5, $10 and $15 for cute shoes, who cares? When I lived down there I was just discovering the joy of credit cards and kinda went a little insane. I think in one trip, I spent $150 and came home with 15 pairs....and took photos of them because I was 17 and crazy and my taste in shoes proved that. I probably still have the photos somewhere....

But, I digress....the main reason I am back in this thread right now is because Kat I freaking love you. I just placed my eShakti order and bought these three beauties for a whopping $45.86....total. They're having a buy 2, get 1 free sale AND it stacks with the code you shared!! WOOHOO!

If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

I got my dress and two tops as well :D I will take pictures eventually.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

They're having a buy 2, get 1 free sale AND it stacks with the code you shared!! WOOHOO!
I love the dresses! Perhaps partly because I'm bundled up in layers of winter clothes as I type this.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Incoming: terrible picture of me in my new dress.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

Why do you call it terrible?

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.

Don't you see the ferret cages?

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

Eh. The Stig is a pretty cool ferret.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

Lovely dress, Neko!

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Thanks, Welu!

I'm saying it's terrible because my hair is weird, it's blurry, and I'm not even showing the whole dress. And yes, The Stig is the awesomest of ferrets. <3
« Last Edit: 01 Jul 2013, 07:52 by nekowafer »

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

I have to revise my opinion about button down shirts (i.e. shirts with a button down collar). The collar is very comfortable in these. Normal collars spread open when they're not buttoned close and tied. These stay more or less closed with the top button open.

(In other news, I've started my year long conversion to better clothes by buying two shirts.)
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

lepetitfromage

• addicted to the shindig

Oooh, that's cute! :-)

Sadly, I got an email about my yellow dress saying that they did not have the fabric in stock so they are cancelling that item. I'm curious to see what that does to the total of my purchase since I used a B2G1 offer.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Lines

• Awakened

Rez! Because I want some advice! One of my friends is getting married in October and I need a bridesmaid's dress and it needs to be black, but it can be any knee length black dress. And since eShakti is cheaper (and much more to my style), here's the dresses that I like from there:

Havana Dress:

Virginia Dress:

Hailey Dress:

Michelle Dress:

So what do you guys think? I'll be wearing it with these shoes, this cardigan (which I'll be knitting in black), and this sash in Regency.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

I will forever be in love with the Michelle dress. I just love the waistline.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I don't like sweetheart necklines on me because they're designed to emphasise what I don't have much of, but I think the Havana would look very nice on Linds. The Virginia is nice too. I love the Michelle, but I think it looks a bit more "everyday" rather than special-occasion, and I'm not quite sure how that very strongly defined waistline would work with a relatively narrow sash.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Woooo! I'm about to upgrade my fashionable stat with suit number 3! and the best part is it's brand new, tailoring is included, from Jos. A Bank  (a fine men's clothing store) AND it's free. I just hope they have a suit in the executive collection with a slightly more English cut.

Papersatan

I think Virginia would look better than Havana with the cardigan.

Also, if you have not purchased a sleeveless dress from them, I want you to know that, their poplin ones at least, all seem to have bra strap holder things under them.  I don't know if you know what I mean, but the thin strap of fabric that you can loop under your bra strap and then snap back to the dress, so that the dress strap and the bra strap move as one. 

Lines

• Awakened

Yeah, my maxi dress had those. I do own a pretty good strapless and a decent bustier though, just in case.

My friend really likes the Virginia (to the point she would get it if she had spare funds) and I agree with Kat about how it'd look with the cardigan. I honestly really love the Havana, but I wish so hard it came in red. (They have it in black, berry, navy, and aqua. MEH. This dress needs to come in RED.) The Michelle I also like, but agree with Akima in regards to the sash. (Another dress I'd also prefer in a different color.) They've got that buy two get one free deal going on and I also really want this dress in either red or green.

Papersatan

ermergerd I want that in blue.

I have a new dress too, but I don't have a pic yet.  I need to find a better bra to go with it. :/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up