THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 13:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Bureau  (Read 6169 times)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
The Bureau
« on: 28 Apr 2013, 12:38 »

Looks awesome!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVUiyKcqXk0

looking like its a stand alone game rather than DLC, so I gave it, its own thread

Set in 1962 at the height of the Cold War, The Bureau tells the origin story of the clandestine XCOM organization's first encounter with a mysterious and devastating enemy. Originally established as America's covert defense against the Soviet Union, The Bureau must adapt and overcome a threat unlike anything the world has faced before. As special agent William Carter, players will call the shots and pull the trigger, leading their squad of agents in the high-stakes secret war for humanity's survival. Paramount to repelling the outside threat is The Bureau's ability to cover-up the enemy's existence in order to prevent worldwide panic.

In the spirit of the XCOM franchise, The Bureau's calculated combat design requires players to think and act tactically. The game's third-person perspective gives the player a sense of spatial awareness and grants them the freedom to transition in and out Carter's unique Battle Focus ability seamlessly – heightening the tactical shooter action. The Bureau also fully embraces the concept of permanent consequence. As our last line of defense, every command can mean the difference between life and death for Carter, his squad and mankind."
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
Re: The Bureau
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2013, 14:20 »

I have to agree.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2013, 14:51 »

Looks pretty good! Will probably pick it up used at some point
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

ackblom12

« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2013, 14:52 »

My only real problem with it before was that it seemed like this is what they were giving us instead of Enemy Unknown, so I'm now sufficiently excited for this game.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2013, 06:09 »

Well of course it's its own game, it's been in development for at least as long as Enemy Unknown, and they were never even related games! I was wondering why they didn't just do a full rebrand, but I guess they now want to piggy-back onto Enemy Unknown's success.

I still like the aesthetic they have going for the aliens, so I will remain Cautiously Optimistic.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2013, 07:44 »

I like the style.  Like the men in black of the 50s I always imagined.

can you post a link of the aliens they are using?  They are suppose to be different than enemy unknow right?
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #6 on: 29 Apr 2013, 10:31 »

honestly the idea would make a great TV show.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2013, 13:37 by Pilchard123 »
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #8 on: 29 Apr 2013, 13:24 »

blah, the outsider one isnt loading. :psyduck:  I am guessing they are the main badguys?

so we are fighting goo and testicles?  Hope they throw some greys in there for funsies.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #9 on: 29 Apr 2013, 13:37 »

Fixed.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #10 on: 29 Apr 2013, 13:41 »

holy shit! I didnt even notice the grey in the background when the kid is riding his bike!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc2z93OcZ-c

WOW! another breakdown, look at whats written on the type writer!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iPv-VBUq4CM#t=302s
« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2013, 14:31 by LeeC »

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #11 on: 30 Apr 2013, 12:38 »

I think I might have the same shirt as that kid. Well, not the exact same one, mine's in my wardrobe.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #12 on: 14 May 2013, 02:26 »

So first they had abstract, otherworldly aliens that invaded via stealth and subterfuge, requiring the player to gather intelligence to defeat vastly more powerful enemies. Now they have a Mass Effect game where you shoot sectoids in the face. Whooptee-fucking-do.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #13 on: 14 May 2013, 06:08 »

Yeah, it kinda sounds like their game has gotten less interesting. I think that the game they are making now is going to be fun, but not in any way unique. They lost that part of it along the way.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #14 on: 14 May 2013, 06:44 »

Yeah the 2010 Horror Investigation game sounds way more interesting and exciting. The latest edition will still probably be fun... but yeah.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #15 on: 14 May 2013, 07:43 »

I am okay with this and maybe they can implement the investigation bit in place of shepard's interactions with the crew/mission people if they do go the ME route.  I would really like the investigative 50s/early 60s MiB feel.  The scarey "makes you disappear" department vibe from the 50s would be cool.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #16 on: 14 May 2013, 09:45 »

Interesting. I do hope that they don't get rid of the investigation parts of the game entirely either. The scenes with the infiltrators, goos and ghosts would make good start of game play. Before the Bureau knows all that's what going on and the aliens are still hidden. Then move to more open warfare later once you've researched better gear and the aliens realize you are onto them. That kind of evolving gameplay would be a good touch.

I really like a lot moving the setting from the 50's to the 60's, the change to third person play and keeping perma-death for the agents. Very much the X-Com feel that I felt was missing from the early talk about the game that had turned me off. And as much as I like the new aliens, I am glad to see classics like the Sectoids and Mutons still there. Originally to me the game didn't really seem like an X-Com game so much as a different game they slapped the XCom title on to try and drum up nostalgia sales, the way happens with some movies.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #17 on: 14 May 2013, 10:22 »

if they didnt put a sectoid or grey looking alien in it, then it wouldnt feel like a 60s roswell scifi romp imho

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #18 on: 14 May 2013, 12:15 »

Yeah the investigation thing is important, as is the whole "MIB with a slice of 60s McCarthyism 'Murrica"

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #19 on: 14 May 2013, 12:19 »

Yeah the investigation thing is important, as is the whole "MIB with a slice of 60s McCarthyism 'Murrica"
they need to have a show of this.  just offing commies and then witness to aliens, and then fighting aliens.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #20 on: 15 May 2013, 10:16 »

they need to have a show of this.  just offing commies and then witness to aliens, and then fighting aliens.

Oooh ooh!  Mindwarping the aliens to off commies!  I mean, that's just the natural progression there, right?

:wink:
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #21 on: 15 May 2013, 11:57 »

it'll be part of the cliff hanger season finale!  probably season 2-3... dont want to peak too early  8-)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #22 on: 28 Jun 2013, 05:01 »

Not a valid youtube URL

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #23 on: 29 Jun 2013, 14:16 »

That's right, shoulder tackle that motherfucking chest-high wall!

:x

It still looks fun, but I couldn't help but roll my eyes a little.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #24 on: 06 Aug 2013, 10:20 »

looks very Mass Effect 2/3 but then again I liked that.  :-D

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #25 on: 18 Aug 2013, 16:03 »

I kind of want to pre-order X:Com The Bureau for that extra mission but I dont really want all that extra crap.

I have a theory about Carter:
(click to show/hide)

also the live action conclusion trailer to the first live action trailer...

looks like the the bureau xcom declassified is getting a 6/10 from most critics.  :-\
« Last Edit: 20 Aug 2013, 09:56 by LeeC »

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #26 on: 20 Aug 2013, 14:36 »

The Outsider looks really good in that video...
Pages: [1]   Go Up