THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 05:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Uncommon Valor  (Read 3812 times)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Uncommon Valor
« on: 03 Jul 2013, 21:10 »

I wrote this up elsewhere and figured QC might be interested in this extraordinary little mare's story.

These photos are the Staff Sergeant Reckless warhorse memorial. For the unaware Staff Sergeant Reckless (her actual, official Marine Corps rank) served with the 5th Marines during the Korean War, this highly decorated and intelligent warhorse repeatedly exposed herself (willingly, with no urging by a handler) to enemy fire both to carry ammunition and supplies from the ammunition dump in the rear to the firing lines, to evacuate Marine casualties and to protect Marines under fire. Reckless's regular route between the supply point and the line during the ferocious battle for Outpost Vegas (March '53) left her completely exposed to enemy fire, despite this Reckless moved over 5 tons of ammunition and other supplies to the front and completed the majority of her trips alone. Staff Sergeant Reckless returned with her unit to Camp Pendleton after the war and officially retired in 1960. Reckless passed on to her final duty station May 13th, 1963 and was buried with full military honors aboard Camp Pendleton. She was survived by three foals, Dauntless, Fearless and Chesty. No word on if they were as decorated and bad ass as their mom. SSgt Reckless's Military Decorations include two Purple Hearts, Good Conduct Medal, Presidential Unit Citation with star, National Defense Service Medal, Korean Service Medal, United Nations Service Medal, Navy Unit Commendation, and Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation, and the French Fourragere that the 5th Marines earned in WW1 and is worn by all Marines of that unit to this day.  The SSgt Reckless memorial (she is called "Sergeant" Reckless in some media, but those people are frankly pillocks) is due to be dedicated this 26 July, 2013 with a ceremony presided over by Commandant of the Marine Corps General Amos at the National Marine Corps Museum in Quantico, Virginia.

I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

ThinksTooMuch

• Plantmonster
Re: Uncommon Valor
« Reply #1 on: 03 Jul 2013, 23:39 »

Beautiful. My love of horses is given further ammunition.  :-)  Having met a few AF dog handlers and their trainers, I can say military members' bonds with these animals are incredible. And the animals who will brave combat and danger out of loyalty, knowingly...  I get irrationally angry at the people who think it's silly when a dog (or a horse!) gets submitted for military honors. They might not be smart enough to understand the depth of their actions, but animals smart enough to be useful to the military are also smart enough to tell when something is trying to kill them! The kind of loyalty that will keep a MWD defending its handler in the middle of a firefight deserves some respect, damn it.

So my utmost respect for SSgt Reckless.  I will file this story away for future retelling, and do my part to ensure her valor is not forgotten.  And if I'm ever in Quantico, I'll see if I can track the memorial down.
"Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them."  Lemony Snicket

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #2 on: 04 Jul 2013, 03:12 »

Tipping my hat. Thanks for sharing.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #3 on: 04 Jul 2013, 06:33 »

Appropriately, Barber's Adagio for Strings was playing on the radio as I read this. 

I didn't know they were still using horses in Korea - My father in law was with the cavalry during WWII, but I thought that was the end of their army use. 

Thank you. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #4 on: 04 Jul 2013, 06:51 »

The last U.S. Cavalry charge was in something like 2008, so don't be too surprised. ;)

The Marine Corps mountain warfare school trains Marines today to use horses, ponies and mules to transport war material in rough terrain still. The American war horse is a tradition that lives on and will endure.

Reckless was not U.S. issue though to be clear, her Marines bought her off a Korean kid in country.

This song seems appropriate:
Not a valid youtube URL
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Nikolai

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • H-Hello? Is this thing on?
« Reply #5 on: 04 Jul 2013, 12:56 »

The last recorded bayonet charge was September 28th, 2012.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #6 on: 04 Jul 2013, 14:10 »

Ah, this reminds me of one of the more treasured stories of the ANZAC tradition, from the Gallipoli landings, Simpson and his Donkey.

And that was definitely an awesome horse. *Doffs cap respectfully to the memory*
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #7 on: 04 Jul 2013, 16:27 »

Yes, I too thought of Simpson and his donkey. China disbanded its last cavalry brigade in 1985, I think, but the border guards (who are technically police rather than soldiers) still ride ponies out in the Wild West where China blurs into Central Asia, and the sand blows in from the desert. The steppe horsemen have just traded in their composite bows for assault-rifles.
(click to show/hide)
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #8 on: 09 Jul 2013, 18:10 »

My love of horses is given further ammunition.  :-)

I see what you did there.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap
Pages: [1]   Go Up