THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:55
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Character concept art  (Read 5105 times)

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
Character concept art
« on: 12 Jul 2013, 11:30 »

I've had an idea for a webcomic bouncing around in my mind for a while, and I've been fiddling with some concept art for some of the characters. Don't know if this will ever come to fruition - right now I'm just playing around with the art to see what it's going to take and if it's something I really want to put the time into making work.

Anyway, here's the main female cast of characters so far - the male cast is still a work in progress:

The art is done with 3-D modeling in DAZ3D, and most of the clothes and such are freeware from various sources.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
Re: Character concept art
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2013, 12:32 »

Looks interesting. What kind of story would the comic have?

I've tried DAZ3D in the past, but never got it to work well on my computer for some reason.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jul 2013, 14:28 »

Looks like an interesting bunch of characters.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

WebcomicUnderdogs

• Not quite a lurker
    • Webcomic Underdogs
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2013, 15:32 »

A good rule of thumb when designing characters is that they should all be identifiable simply by looking at a black out silhouette of those characters. And yours certainly are! Nice!
Check out Webcomic Underdogs, the best friend to the indie creator. Get your comic spotlighted for review, free promotion, fan art, and more! http://webcomicunderdogs.com/

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jul 2013, 08:04 »

It's an H. P. Lovecraft-inspired college story - the characters are students at Miskatonic University. So in addition to the usual college relationship plots, there's also a fair bit of cosmic horror. If you want to think of it as Dumbing of Age meets Cthulhu, that wouldn't be exactly it but it would be in the same ballpark.

Daz3D is a resource hog - my laptop handles it OK but tends to bog down for really complex scenes. I'm due for a hardware upgrade soon anyway, so that may solve that problem. The advantage is that it makes it easy to create and pose some really nice-looking characters. Disadvantage #1 is that it takes a lot of work to set up a scene, but once I have a set built I can re-use it as often as I want - so more work up front, but less in the long run for commonly-used locations. Disadvantage #2 is in the amount of content available. There's a lot of good clothing options for female characters, much less available for male characters. I'm going to have to get much better with modeling stuff from scratch if I'm going make this work.

That being said, my characters are taking shape nicely in my head. At a certain point, they may start demanding that I do this just so that their stories can be told.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up