THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 08:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spiderweb Software (with Humble Bundle alert!)  (Read 3415 times)

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
Spiderweb Software (with Humble Bundle alert!)
« on: 14 Jul 2013, 10:49 »

http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/

They've got a Humble Weekly Bundle this week, with the vast majority of their catalog from their twenty years of  operation involved in it.

So yeah, you should possibly consider getting on that shit. If you're at all into this sort of gameplay, I'm going to say it's almost assuredly worth your money. Jeff Vogel and his little crew (which consists mostly of him) generally put together a fun, well fleshed-out romp. And I take more pleasure than I should in revisiting areas from older games in newer ones to see how they changed.

Now there are some valid gripes to make here. Sometimes the games aren't as well-balanced as they could be, sometimes the turn-based combat can get a little fidgety to manage, and the games themselves can look samey.  Also remakes, remakes as far as the eye can see! First there were Exiles 1-3(.5), then they were remade as Avernum, and now he actually has a remake of Avernum (titled, awkwardly enough, Avernum: Escape From the Pit). And the Nethergate game in that list is a remake itself.

Anyway, the few times they make a new engine, they tend to port some of their older stuff into it.

Still, it's hard to beat for the hours and hours of murder-hobo 'swipe everything not nailed down' style of fun. Oh and for those that remember, their Geneforge setting is the one we tooled around in for Unicorn's Mafia game.

Much thanks to LTK for bringing this to my attention.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
Re: Spiderweb Software (with Humble Bundle alert!)
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jul 2013, 10:53 »

for full disclosure's sake, I should point out the obvious, that I'm a fan. I mean I can remember how to spell vahnatai and slithzerakai. I remember when the nepharim were a thing.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jul 2013, 10:55 »

Now I haven't looked, but the demos of Spiderweb's games at least used to include hours of gameplay, if you want to tool around with them before making a decision.

ackblom12

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2013, 10:56 »

Spiderweb makes some amaaaazing RPGs. You have to get around the absolutely horrendous UI and the low budget graphics, but they're wonderful if you can do so.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jul 2013, 12:07 »

I'd have picked this one up if I didn't already own all of the games. They're all fantastic. I was going to make a thread about it earlier today, but I forgot.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Zingoleb

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jul 2013, 21:05 »

Spiderweb makes some amaaaazing RPGs. You have to get around the absolutely horrendous UI and the low budget graphics, but they're wonderful if you can do so.

the ui gets better! (on that note, the inventory system in geneforge 3-5 is so much better it almost renders the first two games unplayable)

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #6 on: 17 Jul 2013, 21:29 »

Something like 12 hours left, get 'em while they're hot!

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #7 on: 16 Sep 2013, 18:14 »

Beat Geneforge 1 finally.

I didn't do *all* the possible endings (partially because goddamnit there's a double-handful, sort of), but most. Off the top of my head the biggest ones I skipped were
(click to show/hide)

Kind of want to start G2, but I think *if* I start a new one tonight it'll be either Avernum 3 or the Avernum 1 remake.

Ooh or maybe I should do the Nethergate remake instead...

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #8 on: 17 Sep 2013, 01:44 »

Avernum 3 is a great choice. The remake is also good - the Spiderweb combat design has gotten a lot better in the later years.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #9 on: 17 Sep 2013, 05:54 »

Decided to do Nethergate. Which is fun. Hail Caesar!
Pages: [1]   Go Up