THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: This forum is like a family  (Read 46016 times)

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
Re: This forum is like a family
« Reply #150 on: 11 Aug 2013, 14:40 »

But that's my problem with a touch screen - I hit all around the key, even looking at it.  When it registers.  So I have to look back and forth.  The buttons are tiny, but you don't use it the way you do a keyboard, you're not doing tenfinger typing, it's thumbs and an occasional finger. 

No, not that finger...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #151 on: 11 Aug 2013, 14:47 »

Fair enough, it's just a matter of preference I suppose.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #152 on: 11 Aug 2013, 15:03 »

I prefer a stylus to fingers, but these new "pressure sensitive" styluses don't hit the right spot most of the time. Of course, I'm using it on my iPod Touch, whose small size might have something to do with it...
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #153 on: 11 Aug 2013, 15:05 »

Call me an old fuddy duddy, but I'm a Keyboard and Mouse person.

About the only interaction I have with Touch Screen Tec is the local Westpac ATM's.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #154 on: 11 Aug 2013, 15:58 »

Well, I definitely prefer keyboards. Good keyboards are better than bad keyboards, but most keyboards are better than touchscreens for text input. I absolutely loved my Palm Prē for that. Well, I loved my Palm Prē for almost everything. If they had brought webOS on newer devices with better hardware I might still use it.

Anyway, Keyboards for text input. Trackballs for pointing. Mice for playing shooters. Graphics tablets for drawing/picture editing. Touchscreens for applications like Maps or so. Maybe browser navigation as well.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #155 on: 11 Aug 2013, 16:26 »

I prefer a stylus to fingers, but these new "pressure sensitive" styluses don't hit the right spot most of the time. Of course, I'm using it on my iPod Touch, whose small size might have something to do with it...
OK, you cannot use an iOS device with a pressure sensitive stylus, unless it's an active electronic stylus - that is to say one with batteries and a data connection of some kind to the device (Bluetooth, plugged into the headphone jack, ect)

A non-powered non-capacitive stylus cannot interface with an iOS Screen, as their screens only accept capacitive touch, and capacitive touch technology cannot be pressure sensitive.

So either you're highly mistaken, are being sold a scam, or are using something bizarre. Sorry.

And I'm not picking on iOS either - this holds true for Windows phones and 99% of android phones as well - in fact it holds true for Pretty much all devices with a capacitive touch screen, unless they have an added physical component inside the screen, which is rare and expensive and usually sourced from Wacom.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #156 on: 11 Aug 2013, 16:32 »

Just another Joe like 46

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #157 on: 11 Aug 2013, 16:36 »

I once watched Barmymoo typing on the iPad screen, and in a moving car. I think she was somewhere around 50-60 wpm. I remarked on it. She said she'd been typing since she was very young.

Yeah, but still ....

I don't remember this happening (although I'm assuming it was on our epic road trip to the land of cheese and grumpy prison wardens) but I just did a speed test on my laptop keyboard and typed out a section of text 100 wpm with no mistakes. I am a very fast typist, but touch screens really slow me down. I get frustrated with the touch screen ticket machines at train stations because it always takes multiple attempts to get my ticket. Why can't we have BUTTONS? I wouldn't want a Qwerty keyboard on my phone though. I got confused enough when my work phone required me to press a different button to get a space than my personal phone. I was always accidentally changing the character type instead of putting a space into the message. My texts typicallyLOOKEDLIKE8447.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #158 on: 11 Aug 2013, 19:06 »

OK, you cannot use an iOS device with a pressure sensitive stylus, unless it's an active electronic stylus - that is to say one with batteries and a data connection of some kind to the device (Bluetooth, plugged into the headphone jack, ect)

A non-powered non-capacitive stylus cannot interface with an iOS Screen, as their screens only accept capacitive touch, and capacitive touch technology cannot be pressure sensitive.

So either you're highly mistaken, are being sold a scam, or are using something bizarre. Sorry.

And I'm not picking on iOS either - this holds true for Windows phones and 99% of android phones as well - in fact it holds true for Pretty much all devices with a capacitive touch screen, unless they have an added physical component inside the screen, which is rare and expensive and usually sourced from Wacom.
This may be an equivalent. IIRC, it's gotr mixed reviews, has batteries and maybe uses a bluetooth connection with the tablet to transmit pressure readings. I've read about it in the past, but didn't review it just now.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #159 on: 11 Aug 2013, 19:09 »

I once watched Barmymoo typing on the iPad screen, and in a moving car. I think she was somewhere around 50-60 wpm. I remarked on it. She said she'd been typing since she was very young.

Yeah, but still ....

I don't remember this happening (although I'm assuming it was on our epic road trip to the land of cheese and grumpy prison wardens) but I just did a speed test on my laptop keyboard and typed out a section of text 100 wpm with no mistakes. I am a very fast typist, but touch screens really slow me down.

OK, I may have exaggerated the speed, but it was impressively touch-typingly fast. I think you were dealing with your writing group.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #160 on: 11 Aug 2013, 20:28 »

Do you guys remember the days when we all used to actually hang out like, all the time?

I doubt there's many of us left from back then. We even made Jimmy come to America once.

edit: I have found pictures from this. Linds rode a bronze donkey, too:

Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #161 on: 11 Aug 2013, 20:44 »

Man, I wish I was around back then :/
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #162 on: 12 Aug 2013, 03:41 »

I mean, it wasn't a time-specific phenomenon - we could arrange meetups now too! Aren't there three being arranged at the moment?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #163 on: 12 Aug 2013, 04:38 »

We just had one! We just need to keep doing it till it becomes a habit.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

mtmerrick

« Reply #164 on: 12 Aug 2013, 08:04 »

No one replied to my CES meetup idea… :(

@JWH- that's a capacitive stylus. Inherently not pressure-sensitive.

@redball- that's the "active stylus" I mentioned. That (and things like it) are rare,  expensive, and hard to use. They deliver very inconsistent results, but some people still swear by them anyways. *shrugs*

Using one of those with an iphone/ipod would be laughably overkill, btw :P

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #165 on: 12 Aug 2013, 08:23 »

But you still press with the stylus, yes?  So it's an issie of whether the pad is pressure sensitive, no? 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

mtmerrick

« Reply #166 on: 12 Aug 2013, 09:01 »

No, with an active stylus like that, while it is pressure sensitive, the touchscreen doesn't have to be. It converts the pressure to either a wireless/wired signal, or actually electrically creates the capacitive surface. The transmitting method can be laggy, and electrically creating the surface is not reliable at all. Neither is really that great.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #167 on: 12 Aug 2013, 11:38 »

You press with the stylus but if I recall correctly, it's only a PRESSING-NOTPRESSING kinda thing, there really isn't any bit of sensitivity measured. Not on iPhones and iPads, that is. The Surface Pro has a Wacom stylus thingy, and it is SO GREAT. The Vaio I am using has an active pen. It is decent, but eh.

mtmerrick

« Reply #168 on: 12 Aug 2013, 12:18 »

yeah, i'm a note 2 user. I'm quite familiar with how wonderful wacom-based tech is <3 nothing else even compares. haven't gotten a chance to try out the surface's, but i hear its just as good.

the stylus redball linked to (which will not load on the PC i'm using right now for some reason) showed varying lineweights by pressure, and claims to work on all capacitive displays. I've see that pen before, its of the generated-capacitive-surface variety.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #169 on: 12 Aug 2013, 13:03 »

I mean, it wasn't a time-specific phenomenon - we could arrange meetups now too!

There's a lot less people I wanna meet now that I know them better.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #170 on: 12 Aug 2013, 13:36 »

@JWH- that's a capacitive stylus. Inherently not pressure-sensitive.

Yeah, you're telling me. I try pushing buttons on the screen with it, and it's about 80% likely to actually touch the right one (or get it to "click").

Still beats using fingers.
Just another Joe like 46
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up