THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 17:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What aumented reality pal would you want?

Holo Maid
- 26 (17.7%)
Holo Holo
- 12 (8.2%)
Holo Nefertiti
- 12 (8.2%)
Holo Gram
- 10 (6.8%)
Holo Day
- 6 (4.1%)
Holo Fireman
- 1 (0.7%)
Holo Ship
- 2 (1.4%)
Holo Station
- 11 (7.5%)
Holo Man
- 0 (0%)
Holo Nic Cage
- 18 (12.2%)
Holo Pony
- 26 (17.7%)
Holo, I'm going to complain you didn't put in my idea.
- 23 (15.6%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2495-2499 (22-26 July, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 132676 times)

rschill

• FIGHT YOU

As far as I can tell, he's never stalked her, he just did that whenever he happened to run into her.

There was the WOW stuff, but that was more of a challenge between peers than a creepy stalker thing. 

I do think it's a little awkward for him to be trying to get a job where all her friends work and/or hang out. 

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

You're forgetting that the first time we saw Dale, he was introduced as a regular patron of Coffee of Doom and - shock and horror - someone that the staff actually likes.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.

Any lifeform where you can replace large parts of its anatomy with $7.50 worth of Radio Shack parts doesn't meet my definition of "people".

I have to admit, on a forum that seems to take acceptance and fair treatment of a wide variety of classes, representations and identifications of people so seriously, to the point of "we don't refer to X as Y here" for terms that are ubiquitous in other contexts, I find such an arbitrary statement of exclusion kinda funny.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

rschill

• FIGHT YOU

Any lifeform where you can replace large parts of its anatomy with $7.50 worth of Radio Shack parts doesn't meet my definition of "people".

I have to admit, on a forum that seems to take acceptance and fair treatment of a wide variety of classes, representations and identifications of people so seriously, to the point of "we don't refer to X as Y here" for terms that are ubiquitous in other contexts, I find such an arbitrary statement of exclusion kinda funny.

The values of "large parts" and what $7.50 can get you at Radio Shack make a qualitative difference it seems to me.

Could you run, say... a word processing program in a bug brain?  A text editor?  a chess AI capable of beating an absolute beginner human? 

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

If lobsters sign up for the forum we will treat them with decency and respect.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.

No, no, it's not the choice of "group" being excluded by it that amuses me, it's the arbitrary nature of choosing a particular currency value as "the line" over which one must cross to be considered a person. An $8 brain is okay, but $7.45? Squish it.

Or slightly more seriously (if only slightly), the notion that such judgment should exist in the sense of defining people based on what they are rather than who they are.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!

Funny you say that! In a forum some friends and I goofed off on, it somehow ended up being that I was a lobster (and referred to as such by a couple people). I ended up alternating pics of them and Zoidberg as my avatar. And I've yet to be disrespected here so.... mission accomplished?  :laugh:

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined

A little late to the game this week but going back to the Ro- thing, why does it have to be rho and not Ru as on Roomba?

It will be interesting to find out what "May" was doing originally before becoming part of this market research .... maybe "she" is actually killbot 9000 packed in a storeroom somewhere?
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

toffee-skye

• Emoticontraindication
  • cryborg

hmm, i don't think this is a prank of Marigold's. we saw her fanfic, and let's face it, that was pretty dire. i hate to say it, but i don't think she actually has the authorial prowess to pull off something like this: it's too subtle, too complex. May is definitely her own person, not a figment of a stung, insecure geek's imagination. i don't mean to sound disparaging but i doubt Mari actually has that much imagination.

i think May is real, and that she's pretty pissed off at her existence: from what we can tell she was created just for this purpose and is very, very aware of it. i'd like to see her be put into her own chassis, and given her freedom, but i'm a romantic when it comes to nihilistic, self-aware intelligences (see also: the Nexus-6 androids in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?)
my name is Anna and i like people, places, and things.
current MRes student and serial timewaster

Tobimaro

• Emoticontraindication

I'm not that hip into song lyrics.  Does anybody know what song May is butchering?   :?

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra

I'm not that hip into song lyrics.  Does anybody know what song May is butchering?   :?

[Redundant embedding edited out] :P

Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

TimO

• Emoticontraindication
    • TimO's Blog

Aside from the massive technological complexity that would be implied for the creation of a "prank" like Dickmouth Stinkyface May, I don't think Marigold is nasty enough to do something like that, since May as a prank would have quite a bit of potential to be an unpleasant one (as opposed to just being a bit obnoxious).
Actually, it is rocket science.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Pintsize
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

PT410x.
a 'dčanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeňid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.

This^.

If Dale were a total jerk he would not have been told about the Secret Menu. I would call Dale's behavior towards Marigold 'immature'. I feel like I've missed a comic. In my head it goes like this:

Dale: OK, I admit it. You're good. Really good. Now think what we could do if we worked together.
Marigold: What? Team up? You'd have to play Horde.
Dale: Babe, I can play anything but a sour note.

I notice that "May" is making an effort to be helpful here. Maybe there's hope that she will actually be good for Dale.

What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

I reserve judgement.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Emoroffle

• FIGHT YOU
  • Warning! Bites when asked to.

I want to say May is delightfully annoying. To Dale that is.
Super-villain in training.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

May sorta has a point in panel 3... it's kinda absurd that pharmacies have no issue with selling snake oil...
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Salty

• Plantmonster
  • The Lyingest Liar

May sorta has a point in panel 3... it's kinda absurd that pharmacies have no issue with selling snake oil...
Hah! That's just what I was going to say.

Homeopathy is a form of quackery that should long ago have been eradicated from this world.

As should many other such quackeries *coughCHIROPRACTICScough*.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.

People will start to wonder why Dale says "No may" all the time.

As an AR manifestation, May can only interact with Dale. No doubt Jeph has some reason for this.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Four jobs in two days? I knew he worked several jobs, but yeesh.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

I'm getting the impression that preparing a script days in advance does wonders for Jeph's sleep schedule, or at least his drawing schedule.

Drostan

• Not quite a lurker

This is going to turn out to be a psychotic episode on Dale's part. Overworking, lack of sleep, plus his usual indulgence in fantasy will have created May, only in his head. He'll overlook the strange looks from people, because it's a software, right?

Wrong.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

Usually "cat lady" refers to someone with more than one cat.

"Give her time..."  -- Pinkie Pie

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

Well, i guess her behavior is ....understandable, if this is her first time outside a "box" with a manisfestation of a body; she's curious and everything, but can't interact with the world directly, so she'll try to use Dale as her bitch butler  :roll:.

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.

For a creature with essentially no biologic aspects whatsoever, May still manages to be utterly disgusting. Where would a digital hallucination get such ideas in the first place?
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

...the internet?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Toe

• Obscure cultural reference

Cumby's.

Boxilar

• Emoticontraindication
  • I have a hat

I have two possible explanations for May's behavior.

A. May is a plant by nefarious individuals out to scam Dale. Her snark and attitude are because she's been trapped into it and is doing it against her will. They trapped her consciousness in where ever "a ro-" is and have been using her. She is helpless to fight back, call for help, or even warn Dale because if she does, they just pull the plug, and she dies.

B. (the less dark and creepy version) May is doing a job. She has been hired to evaluate Dale by some outside agency or corporation for a high level job requiring a truely good person. May's initial "Master, I live to serve" bit was to get him to bite. Everything after she turned on the 'tude has been to provoke a negative reaction, to see how he reacts when he thinks no one is looking. (You are what you do when you're all alone in the dark, after all) If so, he's passed with flying colors so far.

I like this arc. Before, what we knew of Dale was that he was a slightly annoying dude who was also a bit creepy. This arc has revealed a fine upstanding dude who works multiple shit jobs, helps suppourt his mother, and refuses to be mean or petty when no one is looking when he could easily get away with it.

He comes of as a more mature and better person than Marigold. I know Marigold has been knocked around by life, has subteranian self esteem and reacts the way she does because of how she's been treated in the past, but the poor girl also seems to have a massive victim complex and is willfully refusing to grow up. I realize growth is painful, but there's living, and there's just existing. Marigold is mostly doing the latter.

Warning - while you were typing 3 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Ah whatever. Ima post it anyway. *dives back into the all concealing shadows*

EDIT; Maybe Hanner's mom or dad, having gotten wind of Dale's possible employment at CoD, sent an evaluator to check him out?
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2013, 22:15 by Boxilar »

Sullivan

• Furry furrier
  • Speaker-to- ... um... hm.

So far May has not been a very appealing companion, virtual or otherwise. Who wrote her algorithm anyway?

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Who says they're written?  I think the AI is some kind of self-generating / replicating code.  A complete personality is... way too complex to be authored. 

Also; homeopathic butt cream?  Does that mean it's made of diluted butts, or... nevermind. 

Homeopathy is a form of quackery that should long ago have been eradicated from this world.

I, for one, have nothing but good to say for chiropractors.  They've gotten me up and walking after two major accidents when the regular doctors just wanted me to have "chronic pain management" (drug me out of my skull, still bent over and limping). 

Some people don't need 'em, and they're no cure all, but dammit when it's appropriate, it really works. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor

I'm of the opinion that May and Pintsize never, ever, under any circumstances, ever meet.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

So far.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Salty

• Plantmonster
  • The Lyingest Liar

I, for one, have nothing but good to say for chiropractors.  They've gotten me up and walking after two major accidents when the regular doctors just wanted me to have "chronic pain management" (drug me out of my skull, still bent over and limping). 

Some people don't need 'em, and they're no cure all, but dammit when it's appropriate, it really works.
No offense to you and your situation, and I have no personal animosity for chiropractors, but I would hesitate to have a chiropractor attempt to treat anything other than back or neck pain.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

So far May has not been a very appealing companion, virtual or otherwise. Who wrote her algorithm anyway?

4chan?

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Even if you'd heard several people say that a specific chiropractor had helped them with a particular issue that you were also suffering from? I find it interesting because I go to the NHS GP like a good little girl and tell them "I have this problem" or "the problem is a lot worse now" and they say "here are stronger painkillers, go home". At least an alternative medicine practitioner might make a bit more effort to work out what is wrong with me than that.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

I find most Chiropractors are extremely good at what they do, mine's helped me manage a lot of back and joint pain quite skillfully. He hasn't managed to /cure/ or in any way solve my issues with my legs, but then again, modern medicine just kinda shrugged at me and wandered away looking listless. All the ones I have experience with actually went to school for it (you know, med school) and are big on preventive care over sick care, but I'd be hard pressed to be convinced that preventive care is worse for you then sick care. That reminds me I need to get in and get my back cracked.

As to Ms. May... yeah, this is some kind of terrible reality T.V. show. May is trying to goad Dale into doing stupid shit in the name of ratings.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Oh wow. That makes a hideous amount of sense.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

...the internet?

Beat me to it.  (Though without the "duh" I would have added at the end.)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

That would explain the apparently high payment. The EULA contained a model release that he doesn't know about.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce

Can AIs reproduce? Because May seems like what would happen if Momo and Pintsize had a baby - and her sense of moral responsibility was entirely inherited from her father. :P

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Even if they can, I doubt Momo would willingly create offspring with Pintsize!
What do you know about Pokémon?

TimO

• Emoticontraindication
    • TimO's Blog

So far we've really just had a lot of preparation for whatever Jeph is planning to do with May and Dale.

We know that she can't be seen by the other cast members, so assuming that this isn't just going to be a "He's going mad" storyline, which has been done a lot in films and TV with "invisible" characters, it's either going to be some complex interactions with the biological cast, which seems unlikely because of the clunkiness of having to go via Dale, or interactions with the electronically based artificial life cast.  The obvious one for that is clearly Momo because of her close relationship with Marigold, and the recent interactions that occurred between Dale and Marigold, albeit they finished badly and rather abruptly.

PT410X could certainly be interesting, if he felt that he had to free May in some fashion, but Momo has also historically been shown to be interested in human behaviours towards the "differently coginated", and we know Jeph considers that a significant feature from the cast descriptions; "... Very interested in AI history and civil rights." (my bold).

Personally I think the ineractions between Dale and Marigold so far, have just been along the lines of rival sports enthusiasts.  Possibly a little cliched up, and given the little we've seen of them probably deliberately so, to add to the drama of the story, but neither has really done anything excessive or extreme.
Actually, it is rocket science.

QuestionableIntentions

• Obscure cultural reference

First post, please correct mistakes gently  :laugh:

I think May is being punished. She has been a naughty, naughty AI (hopefully with nothing regarding nuclear launch codes) and the Global Meta AI has partnered her with Dale in the hopes that he is a positive influence.

He is being paid for it, but doesn't know it because that makes him a more convincing role model (not an authoritive figure, which she would rebel against)

Plus, they didn't want to risk giving her a body :-D

P.S: and they know all about Dale beacause of PRISM. Let's face it, government is a bitch everywhere, but in th QC universe, Prism would also be a member of lolcocks.org or something.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

personally, i'm leaning toward the 'nigerian prince' theory; may is owned by some crime syndicate who's trying to get dale's credit card numbers (maybe by helping him buy some stuff online). then the cast will have to rescue her via download from the mafia server so she can join the regular cast. did they ever actually get rid of momo's old shell?

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Personally, I don't see where all the "Nigerian Prince" sayers are coming from o.o if a stranger approaches you on the street and says "sorry, could you take a picture of me, I will give you some cookies for that", do you automatically assume you are being scammed out of money?
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

It could be even worse, I might be scammed out of cookies!  :psyduck:
What do you know about Pokémon?

rschill

• FIGHT YOU

Can AIs reproduce? Because May seems like what would happen if Momo and Pintsize had a baby - and her sense of moral responsibility was entirely inherited from her father. :P

Pintsize isn't all that immoral, just gross with some boundary weirdness. 

This strip reminds me of those  "Jesus: With You Always"  pictures with the captions that wree all over the net about 10 years ago.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Homeopathic butt cream contains no butts at all...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up