THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 04:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What aumented reality pal would you want?

Holo Maid
- 26 (17.7%)
Holo Holo
- 12 (8.2%)
Holo Nefertiti
- 12 (8.2%)
Holo Gram
- 10 (6.8%)
Holo Day
- 6 (4.1%)
Holo Fireman
- 1 (0.7%)
Holo Ship
- 2 (1.4%)
Holo Station
- 11 (7.5%)
Holo Man
- 0 (0%)
Holo Nic Cage
- 18 (12.2%)
Holo Pony
- 26 (17.7%)
Holo, I'm going to complain you didn't put in my idea.
- 23 (15.6%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2495-2499 (22-26 July, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 132622 times)

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

"May contain butts"?
What do you know about Pokémon?

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

I'm starting to lean toward the opinion that May could be a part of a social or psychological study. He did "agree" to the evaluation (albeit without knowing what the agreement was).

The interesting question would be, was it by chance, or just "coincidental"?

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to check your posterior before posting.
Good thing you warned me. There seems to be a crack in mine.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s

Homeopathic medicines are very useful. They provoke a placebo response without any danger of adverse side effects.  I know a doctor who recommends them for that reason.  Of course he doesn't tell that to the patients because then it wouldn't work.
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

toffee-skye

• Emoticontraindication
  • cryborg

i got the impression May wasn't impressed by the homeopathic butt cream because it implied there was something wrong with the dude's butt, not because it's homeopathic  :psyduck:
my name is Anna and i like people, places, and things.
current MRes student and serial timewaster

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

I'm thinking that May might be lacking just a little restraint, and what's the word for it?

Oh yes, class.

On the other hand, Dale is starting to look like an interesting character.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

I'm thinking that May might be lacking just a little restraint, and what's the word for it?

Oh yes, class.
Maybe she's running on C?

rschill

• FIGHT YOU

Oh yes, class.
Maybe she's running on C?

:-\

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.

I wonder, if May gets too out of hand, could Dale take the iGlass portion of his glasses off and stow them in  a case where he couldn't see or hear May (and she couldn't hear or see anything) until he was ready to put up with her shenanigans again? Does Dale wear those glasses for any level of corrective vision?
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

He must be, he used regular glasses earlier, didn't he? Or were they mere sunglasses?
What do you know about Pokémon?

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

zmeiat_joro

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Homeopathic medicines are very useful. They provoke a placebo response without any danger of adverse side effects.  I know a doctor who recommends them for that reason.  Of course he doesn't tell that to the patients because then it wouldn't work.

There are products companies label homeopathic that do contain active ingredients, as was with the case of a nasal spray which contained Zinc and caused permanent loss of smell in some cases. I seem to recall, but I'm not actually sure, that due to them being labeled homeopathic and not actual medication, they were subject to less strict regulation than medication. So don't count on anything labeled homeopathic to be harmless. Not to mention the danger of people self-medicating with placebos for dangerous conditions, which they are encouraging by fostering in them the idea that homeopathy is not placebos.

Same for Chiropractice or whatever it's spelled -- beside their crackpot claims (on the same level as homeopathy), don't go to one instead of an actual physical therapist -- there have been numerous cases of severe spinal injury by "chiropracticers" (EDIT: I think they call themselves "chiropractors"), as they are not legally subject to licensing. Same with "nutritionist" rather than dietician -- the latter is subject to legal regulation in most places.
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2013, 08:16 by zmeiat_joro »
I, for one, welcome the fragmentation of deeper levels of shared reality.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

If lobsters sign up for the forum we will treat them with decency and respect.
Well said. And then I'd have to revise my definition of "person" to be more inclusive.
When the facts change, I change my opinions.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

Who says they're written?  I think the AI is some kind of self-generating / replicating code.  A complete personality is... way too complex to be authored.

Not authored - grown. Evolved. That's the one way we know how we can get emergent behaviour at the moment. Use a meta-genetic algorithm to optimise evolution of  AI's. You end up with something that has the properties you want, but you have no idea how to get there from here. It has other properties too that you haven't considered.

That reminds me, I better get back to my thesis (on this very subject - experimental work).

See

Using Meta-Genetic Algorithms to tune parameters of Genetic Algorithms to find lowest energy Molecular Conformers
ZE Brain, MA Addicoat 
Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on the Synthesis and Simulation of Living Systems

Optimization of a genetic algorithm for searching molecular conformer space
ZE Brain, MA Addicoat
The Journal of chemical physics 135 (17), 174106-174106-10

Optimization of a Genetic Algorithm for the Functionalization of Fullerenes
MA Addicoat, AJ Page, ZE Brain, L Flack, K Morokuma, S Irle
Journal of Chemical Theory and Computation 8 (5), 1841-1851

Using a Meta-GA for parametric optimization of simple GAs in the computational chemistry domain
MA Addicoat, ZE Brain
Proceedings of the 12th annual conference on Genetic and evolutionary computation
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Did they ever actually get rid of Momo's old shell?

...You were thinking that too, hey?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Momo's old shell would be a fitting purgatory for May I think.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

May in Momo's old chassis? Do we really want her to have control of an eel tank?
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Dev Null

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Anyways, the correct pronunciation of the appropriate curse / insult from a WoW player is "Gnome", not "Gno-may".  What are you, French?

Eternal_Newbie

• Balloon animal serial killer

Personally, I don't see where all the "Nigerian Prince" sayers are coming from o.o if a stranger approaches you on the street and says "sorry, could you take a picture of me, I will give you some cookies for that", do you automatically assume you are being scammed out of money?

As a result of several encounters with pickpockets, yes.

Personally I am unsure whether Dickmouth Stinkface is part of a scam. I definitely think she owes someone money, which is why she is doing the job. Perhaps Dale will prove a good influence on her as others have suggested.

Also, add me to the list of those thinking that her in Momo's old chassis is a terrible idea.
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2013, 09:38 by Eternal_Newbie »
"Microsoft Kills Santa Claus" - The Register

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Terrible idea for the cast, certainly. For us?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

HiEv

• Not quite a lurker

Even if you'd heard several people say that a specific chiropractor had helped them with a particular issue that you were also suffering from?

Yes.

Keep in mind that people have even had medical procedures that they thought had actually helped them, but once double-blind placebo controlled studies were done, it was found that they were no better than a placebo.

For example, doctors used to do a kind of arthroscopic knee surgery called arthroscopic lavage or debridement, where loose cartilage is removed from inside the knee.  This was supposed to help alleviate knee pain.  However, when compared to surgery where no actual debridement occurred, there was no significant difference in results.  As such this practice has almost entirely fallen out of use.  See: "Study Finds Common Knee Surgery No Better Than Placebo" (Science Daily - 7/12/2002).

With some things, especially with things like pain and fatigue, placebo effects are quite prone to occur, so special care has to be taken to not be fooled by that.

Also, even more common, is what is called "regression to the mean."  People tend to go for treatment when they're at their worst, and the body tends to heal over time or get used to problems, so these two facts combined can make any treatment seem effective.  People assume because they got the treatment and then they got better, that this means that the treatment helped them, but that's not necessarily the case.  You can't tell if you're getting better because of the treatment or if you would have gotten better anyways without the treatment unless you do scientific testing.

This is why I don't blindly take people at their word; anecdotes are not data.  I look at the objective scientific evidence instead.

I find it interesting because I go to the NHS GP like a good little girl and tell them "I have this problem" or "the problem is a lot worse now" and they say "here are stronger painkillers, go home". At least an alternative medicine practitioner might make a bit more effort to work out what is wrong with me than that.

That doesn't actually mean that they're any better at diagnosing or treating the problem.

That said, some portions of chiropractic are OK while others are superstitious nonsense.  Look up "innate intelligence" in relation to chiropractic some time.  The quality of a chiropractor greatly depends on how much he subscribes to objective science versus pseudo-scientific nonsense.

Personally, I think it's unethical to have patients spend money on treatments that don't really do anything and dangerous to promote the idea that they actually do something.  If you think homeopathy is harmless, you're wrong.

There are products companies label homeopathic that do contain active ingredients, as was with the case of a nasal spray which contained Zinc and caused permanent loss of smell in some cases. I seem to recall, but I'm not actually sure, that due to them being labeled homeopathic and not actual medication, they were subject to less strict regulation than medication. So don't count on anything labeled homeopathic to be harmless.

Correct. You're talking about Zicam, and the manufacturer, Matrixx Initiatives, paid $12 million to settle 340 lawsuits from the people who lost their sense of smell (and thus some sense of taste as well) due to using this self-proclaimed "homeopathic" product.  Some products calling themselves homeopathic actually do have active ingredients when they're not sufficiently diluted, though most are just water, sugar, lactose, alcohol, or some other dilutant.

Unfortunately bills have been passed by senators who are fans of homeopathy which make it so that that these products don't have to be tested for safety or efficacy before being sold the way real medicines do, so the public can easily get screwed over like this.  And where the FDA can investigate, they've found manufacturers who have allowed glass shards to contaminate the product, who've failed to put anything homeopathic in the product, and who've put greatly varying doses in products, and they've found all of these violations in just one manufacturing plant.

In case you hadn't guessed, I'm not a fan of companies selling products which aren't likely to do what they claim they do and at best they do nothing.  It's all fraud as far as I'm concerned, and dangerous fraud preying on those who often really need medical help to boot.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

I can just imagine the commercial for the homeopathic butt cream:

(click to show/hide)

Boradis

• Plantmonster

May seems too mean spirited to be Momo. My bet is it's Marigold. She's got hacking skillz, and assuming he'd like a hot slave maid in a skimpy outfit and that he lives off his parents sounds like the kind of unfair psycho shit she throws at him all the time.
Now there's an idea!

Boradis makes an interesting suggestion, but where the heck would Marbear get an A.I. just to toss at Dale?  :psyduck:

What if it's just Marigold talking through an AI "skin?"

I think the suggestions was that there isn't really any AI, its Marigold herself.
Bingo.

And I sort of object to Marigold throwing "unfair psycho shit" at Dale (this refers to the quote from Boradis). I don't want to restart the discussion about how objectable Marigolds behaviour towards Dale was or wasn't, but I really don't see any psycho shit.

I'm sorry my wording was harsh…

(I've deleted the rest of my response since you said you didn't want to restart this discussion. Suffice to say I disagree.)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Steve passed Dales name onto the DOKA and now there testing him.

Either  that. or it's Microsoft.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Dickmouth Stinkface is on the same Internet as all of the characters who have Internet connections in their heads.

Since she's there for (anti)social interaction, shouldn't she make herself visible to the people who could see her without expensive holoprojection equipment, such as Momo? One of the things companions typically do is interact with your friends.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Satan

• Not quite a lurker
  • Mein Fuhrer! I CAN WALK!

"Homeopathic butt cream" is totally going to be my go-to euphemism from now on.

"Hey baby, would you like to try some of my homeopathic butt cream? It comes with it's own applicator stick."
i will bong and fong with you

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Dickmouth Stinkface is on the same Internet as all of the characters who have Internet connections in their heads.

Since she's there for (anti)social interaction, shouldn't she make herself visible to the people who could see her without expensive holoprojection equipment, such as Momo? One of the things companions typically do is interact with your friends.

Not if there is an ulterior motive ... such as the time-honored practice of "fuckin' with someone."
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES

"Hey baby, would you like to try some of my homeopathic butt cream? It comes with it's own applicator stick."

It's more of an injection really.    :psyduck:

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Maybe it's a cream for homeopathic butts.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.

First post, please correct mistakes gently  :laugh:

I think May is being punished. She has been a naughty, naughty AI (hopefully with nothing regarding nuclear launch codes) and the Global Meta AI has partnered her with Dale in the hopes that he is a positive influence.

He is being paid for it, but doesn't know it because that makes him a more convincing role model (not an authoritive figure, which she would rebel against)

Welcome.
I like this notion. Certainly Dale has shown the patience of a saint so far.

What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

zmeiat_joro

Basically I am a HUGE fan of companies actually selling medication for illnesses I actually have

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.

Now I begin to realize why N.U.R.R.'s are notorious. (Google has failed me.)
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

zmeiat_joro

Even if the prices are slightly unreasonable;

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

That's IT! "May" is WINDOWS 8!!!!!
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

I just had a thought (unusual, I know): what if this is setting up a situation where Marigold sees Dale talking to May, causing her to get jealous, not knowing that May is a holographic AI thing?

Zwammy

• Obscure cultural reference

We now know "May" isn't after Dale's money because she didn't go 'boink' and vanish in a cloud of loose pixels when she learned he hardly has any. So what -is- she after?

I don't think he is paying for the service, my understanding is this is a beta test he was getting paid for, so he opted into it. Makes sense if he's working several jobs and helping his mom, doesn't seem like he'd pop good money for that service otherwise.
"Forget reality. We're not part of the reality-based community." Skin Horse

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

That's IT! "May" is WINDOWS 8!!!!!

More likely a forgotten subroutine of Vista
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

"Homeopathic butt cream - no ifs or ands about it!" 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Fhqwhgads

• Not quite a lurker

I just had a thought (unusual, I know): what if this is setting up a situation where Marigold sees Dale talking to May, causing her to get jealous, not knowing that May is a holographic AI thing?
Only Dale can see May though, cause of the glasses.

...which apparently he just turned off.  :-D

TheEvilDog

The fact that Dale put up with May for (I presume) a whole day...well the guy has gotta have the patience of a saint. I would have crushed the glasses and burned them before I even had my morning tea.

Salty

• Plantmonster
  • The Lyingest Liar

*Dramatic sting!*

Also, he looks surprisingly decent with the glasses off...in both senses.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.

I like it much better when his glasses are turned off. It gets annoying never being able to see his eyes. Not sure why that is.

TheEvilDog

Eye contact is incredibly important in communication, to the point where its one of the most telling signs in body language. If you can't see someone's eyes, you miss out on a huge amonut of information and thus a subconscious connection. Even though Dale is a fictional character, we still missed out on a great deal from him and so the disconnect.

At least, thats what I think.

reicreature

• Larger than most fish

I don't always comment on the QC forum, but when I do it is to say:

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang.

I finally get people who are attracted to cartoons.
Maybe it's because Dale without glasses looks an awful lot like my husband when I first started dating him though.

This whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

So this is the point of this story arc. To explain why Dale's glasses no longer glow.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

Wow Dale. You've grown a lot these last days. I wonder why you're so absent the last two panels?

You guys
I think Dale realized how lonely he really is :(

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

I don't always comment on the QC forum, but when I do it is to say:

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang.

I finally get people who are attracted to cartoons.
Maybe it's because Dale without glasses looks an awful lot like my husband when I first started dating him though.

I second this. I think he looks really handsome in that last panel.

So apparently he doesn't need glasses to see? That's interesting. Does that mean he has been only wearing Glasses that whole time, not regular glasses?

...why would he spend money on Glasses anyway. His financial situation confuses me.

Oh, idea. Maybe he is reading up on May on the Internet. I doubt he is the first ever to be in this situation.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku

I think... I think he just put her into a coma. The more I think about him turning off the Glasses, the more uncomfortable it makes me. Her existence is primarily determined by whether his Glasses are on or not.

And I agree that the glowing glasses have always kept him at a distance from us. It's hard to connect with him as a human being because we basically don't get to see him as we normally see others.
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

Spitfire

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

I think... I think he just put her into a coma. The more I think about him turning off the Glasses, the more uncomfortable it makes me. Her existence is primarily determined by whether his Glasses are on or not.

Agreed. Today's comic was a bit disturbing for me. It's obvious that AIs in this universe are fully sentient and capable of emotions, I certainly hope he didn't just kill May. There was genuine fear in her eyes as soon as he spoke of turning off the glasses. And the way she's flickering is just...unsettling.

Earin

• Plantmonster

If she's running in a data centre rather than on the Glasses themselves, I would assume it's more like he's dumped her into a senseless limbo. She probably has internet access but no other communication method.

Indicible

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Jaegermonster impersonator

So, Dale is a Gunnm fan...

In any case, the big question is whether May is still conscious when disconnected.
And then, if she is, is it ethical to disconnect her.
Reminds me of the ST:Voyager episode in which the holodeck characters acquire sentience and independance (yes, I watched ST:V. Sue me.).
Or the whole "am I human if I have a chip instead of a brain?" conundrum in Gunnm and Gunnm Last Order (relevant...).
Signature OF DOOM!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up