THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What aumented reality pal would you want?

Holo Maid
- 26 (17.7%)
Holo Holo
- 12 (8.2%)
Holo Nefertiti
- 12 (8.2%)
Holo Gram
- 10 (6.8%)
Holo Day
- 6 (4.1%)
Holo Fireman
- 1 (0.7%)
Holo Ship
- 2 (1.4%)
Holo Station
- 11 (7.5%)
Holo Man
- 0 (0%)
Holo Nic Cage
- 18 (12.2%)
Holo Pony
- 26 (17.7%)
Holo, I'm going to complain you didn't put in my idea.
- 23 (15.6%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2495-2499 (22-26 July, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 130198 times)

HiEv

• Not quite a lurker

Am I the only one sitting here now scheming a way to find time to rewatch Hand Maid May?

Nope.  That's one of my all time favorite anime.

I actually just came here to ask if Dale was familiar with Hand Maid May.

(Funny thing about the DVD title depicted there.  I tried to order that DVD at a store and the clerk said there was a product recall on it.  After she showed me the screen I had to explain to her that "Product Recall" was the subtitle of the 2nd DVD release, and not an actual product recall.  :-P )
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2013, 07:57 by HiEv »

Tulpa

• Balloon animal serial killer

Secret robot cave that now serves as google's headquarters?

I'd of named her April :wink: (or, you know, asked her to pick). And she has the makings of a tsundere.

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

"Okay, fine, how about June?"  :-P
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Mmeaninglessnamee

• Plantmonster

Or maybe January, because she's been quite cold toward Dale.
Signature? More like Sigindustrial!

tuxedobob

• Plantmonster

Yeah... I don't see what this holo character really adds to the comic. I kinda hope he's going somewhere interesting with it, because if it were me, I'd just take the classes off.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

I think that's not at all unlikely, given that she hasn't shown the license agreement or any formal contract or official notification of the glasses' manufacturer to Dale and promises so much money for a test of rather short duration. On the other hand - that would be a pretty elaborate and involved ruse.

If a Nigerian Scammer can con people out of thousands with a simple engrish-laced letter, I wouldn't put it past the scammers in the QC universe to try something as bold. Plus why not con people who technically have money and are "gullible": Single 30-unders with no hard expenses.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

I found the "ro-" a bit odd, but I wondered if she was going to say something like "room 101" or "room 8". Not sure why she'd correct herself though.

She's from room 217.

Ph2

• Balloon animal serial killer

"Okay, fine, how about June?"  :-P

Or Febuary.
Holopony is best pony.

(click to show/hide)

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

If I ever have a kid, I'm going to name it November.

(click to show/hide)
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Interesting how some months are acceptable as names and some aren't. January Jones is the only January I know of, but April through July (Julia/Julius) are fairly common, and August isn't unheard of.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Winslow picked his own name.

The reference for that was Hannelore's Formspring Q&A, a rich source of information which has sadly expired. I don't suppose anyone copied it before it went away?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

Interesting how some months are acceptable as names and some aren't. January Jones is the only January I know of, but April through July (Julia/Julius) are fairly common, and August isn't unheard of.

Augustus and Julius are more common because of the people the month is named after, rather than the month itself.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

True, for Julia/Julius and Augustus, but I know a couple people who are just named August.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

In Germany, August is (a rather old-fashioned) name which is independent of the month - also called August in German. However, they are pronounced differently (the name having the stress on the first syllable, the month on the second), which is why I think they are independent.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Romulus?

Anybody seen a Bird of Prey hovering over Northampton?
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Interesting. Over in the states, both the name and the month are stressed on the first syllable. (It's the month I was born!)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Actually, so was I.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.

What happened to Holo Maid May's shoulder straps in panel 4a?
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

The projection glitched?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Earin

• Plantmonster

ro-

Robot Heaven?

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

I think that's not at all unlikely, given that she hasn't shown the license agreement or any formal contract or official notification of the glasses' manufacturer to Dale and promises so much money for a test of rather short duration. On the other hand - that would be a pretty elaborate and involved ruse.

If a Nigerian Scammer can con people out of thousands with a simple engrish-laced letter, I wouldn't put it past the scammers in the QC universe to try something as bold. Plus why not con people who technically have money and are "gullible": Single 30-unders with no hard expenses.

Disposable income is not really the same as money. Twenty-somethings do not normally have the kind of credit rating that would allow for remortgaging to the tune of a couple hundred grand in under a week, nor are they likely to fall for Internet scams.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

If I heard (rather than saw, in a balloon) a cut-off place reference starting with the "Ro" sound, I would probably think of Rhode Island.  Possibly followed by Romania, as others have suggested.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

What happened to Holo Maid May's shoulder straps in panel 4a?

They went to the same dimension as her gloves from the last strip, Claire's shirt text, Dora's lipstick and Tai's earrings.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Salty

• Plantmonster
  • The Lyingest Liar

I remember that anime.

Those robots be crazy.

Also, Holomeido-chan is something that I would find incredibly aggravating.
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2013, 20:37 by Salty »

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet

But we already know she has his calendar (and presumably email, search history, etc etc); doesn't she know what all he does?

Jazzmaster

• Obscure cultural reference

I love Dale's "too cool for fools" attitude, although he almost seems too serious sometimes.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Welcome, HiEv!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

quix0te

• Emoticontraindication

Yep.  Really marking down the days until the hologram goes away.  Poor Dale.  I can't help but think that if you've got enough money to develop a 'Virtual Buddy', you can afford to do a little market research.  Or even, you know, ask around 'If you had a virtual companion, would you want them to act like a continuous asshat?'
"Hmm.  Our Market Research suggests our users would prefer Amy Adams to Roseanne Barr."

grasslad

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

While some people seem less than thrilled by the hologram I actually rather like this turn of events. She's pretty much the polar opposite of most of the cast in terms of personality and thus disrupts the usual dynamics of the strip. I somewhat doubt she will be around long, but I still think it's nice to have something break the monotony of the strip occasionally. I've also been hoping to see more of Dale at some point so that's an added bonus.

rschill

• FIGHT YOU

She can't have had much of a history with humans if she just now got a name.   For all we know she could have been "born" yesterday. 

Anyway, she's well positioned to fill out some details in Dale's life. 

She also might be a secret beetle. 

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

But can she shoot eels out of her...........

Truec

• Furry furrier

But can she shoot eels out of her...........

She's a hologram AI targeted at nerds, I assume that she can shoot anything out of any orifice.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Yup, I am convinced. She's either some twisted game show or a psychology experiment.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Welcome, grasslad!

We don't really know how AnthroPCs develop the personalities they have. Maybe some hilarious algorithmic botch of analyzing Dale's search history led to (mis)shaping Dickmouth Stinkface's psyche.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Must be expensive too, or examples like May or Pintsize would be promptly erased for a fresh try.

I am pretty sure that would be murder.

Sure, but who's watching? I propose that generating a new AI is computationally expensive, to the extent that only 100 supercomputers in the world are capable of it, and these are carefully monitored.

..did you really just suggest that murdering sentient life forms is okay as long as no one notices?
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

I think perhaps Perfectly Reasonable was proposing that major corporations with a monopoly on the creation of said lifeforms might deem it acceptable. Ŕ la Kara.

However, in QCverse, while AnthroPCs are not cheap, it seems the chief expense is the chassis, because the AI has civil rights, and to sell one you have created would be legally analogous to selling your child (and perhaps this is why the hardware is so expensive).

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker

Romulus?

Anybody seen a Bird of Prey hovering over Northampton?
This will be my head canon from now on. Though I'll make it a Warbird, because they are hilariously shaped.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Must be expensive too, or examples like May or Pintsize would be promptly erased for a fresh try.

I am pretty sure that would be murder.

Sure, but who's watching? I propose that generating a new AI is computationally expensive, to the extent that only 100 supercomputers in the world are capable of it, and these are carefully monitored.

..did you really just suggest that murdering sentient life forms is okay as long as no one notices?

Seems to be how it works in the real world.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

You kill a bug without impunity at least once a week, no?

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Bugs aren't sentient though.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

:roll: As a matter of fact, no, I don't if I can avoid it.

But I actually took the post to mean "ethically okay", not "possible without punishment".
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

katsmeat

• Furry furrier

I'm vaguely surprised that it's not been made illegal to drive with Glasses, given their potential for sudden distraction. Though I guess they could have  a special driving app that only puts a small amount of essential information in the driver's FoV - it would be quite useful to not have to be constantly glancing at the speedo or the GPS.
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2013, 03:04 by katsmeat »

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Nor do I. In my book, bugs are sentient; just not very.

Jeph seems to be all over the place on the "civil rights" of AI's depending on Rule Of Funny. May certainly does not seem to be treated the way Momo is, for example, and Agent Turing was quite ready to treat Pintsize simply as property.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

Holograms are more useful for that purpose. Having something change constantly in your peripheral vision is a huge distraction and should be made illegal.

BMW has a hologram system in their cars. It is designed to be projected in a way that it seems infinitely far away from your car. That way, it is not in your periphery.

About bugs being sentient: If I remember correctly, bugs only react to stimuli and react to those through reflex. That in itself cannot be considered sentient (as in, the bug doesn't stop to think WHY it's doing things).

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

I'm vaguely surprised that it's not been made illegal to drive with Glasses, given their potential for sudden distraction. Though I guess they could have  a special driving app that only puts a small amount of essential information in the driver's FoV - it would be quite useful to not have to be constantly glancing at the speedo or the GPS.

Legislation might not have caught up yet. Or it might be on hold due to some kind of lobbyism, maybe even AI lobbyism!  :lol:
What do you know about Pokémon?

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Nor do I. In my book, bugs are sentient; just not very.

Jeph seems to be all over the place on the "civil rights" of AI's depending on Rule Of Funny. May certainly does not seem to be treated the way Momo is, for example, and Agent Turing was quite ready to treat Pintsize simply as property.
Hm. Difference in treatment seems to be roughly dependent on how much personal interaction one has with individual AIs on a regular basis. To be somewhat fair to Agent Turing and May's corporate domicile, most government agencies and large corporations treat regular humans with no greater compassion except where explicitly directed by law. And even then, not always.

As for bugs and sentience, I'm nearly convinced that the vast majority of insects aren't even a little bit sentient. Arthropods though… there's a reason spiders are scarier than flies, and it's not the two extra legs.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Holograms are more useful for that purpose. Having something change constantly in your peripheral vision is a huge distraction and should be made illegal.
Who says that Dale's glasses present stuff in his peripheral vision? Jeph hasn't offered any details, and it's perfectly possible that the information *is* presented focussed at infinity like an HUD.

About bugs being sentient: If I remember correctly, bugs only react to stimuli and react to those through reflex. That in itself cannot be considered sentient (as in, the bug doesn't stop to think WHY it's doing things).
That is a matter of definition. Sentience is not the same thing as intelligence. My dictionary defines sentience as the ability to feel or perceive, and that bugs certainly can do.

Spiders and insects are both arthropods. If you want to distinguish, spiders are arachnids.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

Mmmh. I agree with you on all points. I was thinking of the Google Glasses when I wrote the thing about peripheral vision, because those definitely do operate in your periphery.

Considering the sentience VS intelligence thing, that is true according to the definition you use. But then what does "feel and perceive" mean? Does it mean it can accept stimuli from their environment? Because in that case, any server/pc should be sentient as well, because it gets stimuli and reacts to those. Sentience is a wonky concept to begin with.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up