THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 01:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What aumented reality pal would you want?

Holo Maid
- 26 (17.7%)
Holo Holo
- 12 (8.2%)
Holo Nefertiti
- 12 (8.2%)
Holo Gram
- 10 (6.8%)
Holo Day
- 6 (4.1%)
Holo Fireman
- 1 (0.7%)
Holo Ship
- 2 (1.4%)
Holo Station
- 11 (7.5%)
Holo Man
- 0 (0%)
Holo Nic Cage
- 18 (12.2%)
Holo Pony
- 26 (17.7%)
Holo, I'm going to complain you didn't put in my idea.
- 23 (15.6%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2495-2499 (22-26 July, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 130164 times)

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

One advantage of interacting with the world via hologramic projection: you can't be duct-taped to a wall.
Does pintsize multitask?

Re Sentience:

http://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/newsrel/science/alobster.htm

The team of researchers at UCSD’s Institute for Nonlinear Science (INLS) led by Henry Abarbanel, professor of physics, Misha Rabinovich at INLS and Allen Selverston, professor emeritus of biology, has successfully integrated an electronic neuron within a group of 14 biological neurons from the California spiny lobster. The artificial neuron was accepted by the real ones and its signaling rhythm fell into place with the other cells.

Any lifeform where you can replace large parts of its anatomy with $7.50 worth of Radio Shack parts doesn't meet my definition of "people".

The problem of Animal Rights becomes acute and immediate when we consider the experimentation currently underway with Hybots. It can be persuasively argued that experimentation with primitive organisms like lampreys (Gugliotta 2001) and spiny lobsters(Aguilera 1999) do not involve "thinking creatures" as such. The fact that some of the neural processing can be replaced by an absurdly simple inorganic equivalent is strong evidence of this. A lamprey or a spiny lobster, despite being organic, may in fact be no more than a self-directing robot. The situation described by Graham-Rowe 2001 is less clear : only a few thousand neurons are used, and from Rat foetuses rather than the fully-developed animal, yet it is this very plasticity and higher level of development that leads one to suspect that the result may "think" in an animal fashion rather than merely be a robot with organic parts. Should such a Hybot be able to navigate a maze, then very troubling ethical issues arise regarding cruelty. We can plausibly avoid the issue when dealing with a non-organic artificial intelligence with the same external behaviour, but we know Rats think. And the situation regarding fully inorganic artificial intelligence is not as clear-cut as it once was, given the experimentation with Cyborgs and prosthetic brain parts. There is potential for suffering on a scale undreamt-of, and for very much longer than a normal lifespan. Call it Hell on Earth. Conversely, there is the possibility that we might fully understand the nature of thought, and resolve the issues of how we should treat animals. We may even be able to augment ourselves to become, if not Gods, perhaps a little more wise as well as intelligent. Call it Heaven on Earth.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Yup, I am convinced. She's either some twisted game show or a psychology experiment.

And at the end of the experiment someone's yelling, "Psych!"
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

I am reminded of Deus Ex: Human Revolution. That game did address transhumanism, if only on a very shallow basis.

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

Have to give Dale some credit. He is trying to be gentlemanly, even with her very un-ladylike behaviour. He might still be a jerk, but at least he is a decent jerk.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Holograms are more useful for that purpose. Having something change constantly in your peripheral vision is a huge distraction and should be made illegal.
Who says that Dale's glasses present stuff in his peripheral vision? Jeph hasn't offered any details, and it's perfectly possible that the information *is* presented focussed at infinity like an HUD.

About bugs being sentient: If I remember correctly, bugs only react to stimuli and react to those through reflex. That in itself cannot be considered sentient (as in, the bug doesn't stop to think WHY it's doing things).
That is a matter of definition. Sentience is not the same thing as intelligence. My dictionary defines sentience as the ability to feel or perceive, and that bugs certainly can do.

Spiders and insects are both arthropods. If you want to distinguish, spiders are arachnids.
Perhaps I missed the word "other" in front of arthropods then.

As for sentience, my dictionary includes a clause about differentiating itself from its environment.
Which is important as otherwise Lego have been selling sentient machines for decades
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Sentience is a wonky concept to begin with.
Indeed it is, which is why I believe we should be careful about denying it.

Any lifeform where you can replace large parts of its anatomy with $7.50 worth of Radio Shack parts doesn't meet my definition of "people".
Well, I don't think lobsters are people either (they are arthropods too), but I still don't regard them as non-sentient. We already replace quite large parts of human beings with metal, plastic and electronics. One day we may develop the means to replace brain tissue in the same way we do heart valves, but I don't think that will necessarily lessen our sentience or humanity.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

I dunno about you guys but Dale is getting more respect from me with this strip in particular.  :-)

You go, dude!

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

I think this might even part of the "purpose" of this story arc. Showing to the people who don't like Dale that he's decent.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Either that, or making him decent.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

:roll: As a matter of fact, no, I don't if I can avoid it.
Nor do I. In my book, bugs are sentient; just not very.

Jeph seems to be all over the place on the "civil rights" of AI's depending on Rule Of Funny. May certainly does not seem to be treated the way Momo is, for example, and Agent Turing was quite ready to treat Pintsize simply as property.

There's been a trend (to which you can doubtless find exceptions) toward greater legal protection of AIs over time. Their Equal Rights Amendment may have happened during the course of the comic, in fact: Clinton referred to it as if it were new.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

HiEv

• Not quite a lurker

What happened to Holo Maid May's shoulder straps in panel 4a?

They went to the same dimension as her gloves from the last strip, Claire's shirt text, Dora's lipstick and Tai's earrings.

Well, keep in mind that she is in beta.  These glitches will have to be reported.   :wink:

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

I think the universe will explode if Pintsize and May ever meet.  Dear god.  I imagine Pintsize would want her transferred to a more...corporeal body.

lol.  Or imagine the debate between Momo and May. Egad!

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku

Since May's location is primarily in his peripheral vision, can he even see her that well at this point? The Glasses don't extend all the way around his head, so he should theoretically only be able to hear her and maybe see a small portion of her. And depending on how bad his vision is, she may just be a blue blur if he can see her at all through his peripherals.

I'm probably wrong, but that was my first question.
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!

I think the universe will explode if Pintsize and May ever meet.  Dear god.  I imagine Pintsize would want her transferred to a more...corporeal body.

For some reason I imagine Pintsize would end up wanting her downloaded so that they can share the same headspace for a while. I imagine May would be opposed to living in such filth though.

TimO

• Emoticontraindication
    • TimO's Blog

If Pintsize and/or Momo see May, I'm assuming that since they'll in effect have an Always On connection to the Internet, that should she choose to let them, they could be aware of May, in much the same way as Dale is via his glasses, although to them it would be a more direct feed into their "brains".

I think it's going to be interesting to see how this works out, regardless of what happens.  We're seeing more of Dale, and getting some more familiarity with the AI tech of the QC universe.  Whether May ends up as a regular or not, as others have's said, she throws a spanner into the more routine interactions.  Like Pintsize, she's could be a disruptive element of the story.
Actually, it is rocket science.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

I always thought Dale was getting a bum rap... Hope he's headed to CoD for his first day at work.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Well no, today's pizza delivery day.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

"Curiouser and curiouser."  Said Alice.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Boradis

• Plantmonster

My second guess would be something with "robot" at the beginning.

Epileptic tree: It is "robot", because it's Momo getting revenge on Dale for "ditching" Marigold.

May seems too mean spirited to be Momo. My bet is it's Marigold. She's got hacking skillz, and assuming he'd like a hot slave maid in a skimpy outfit and that he lives off his parents sounds like the kind of unfair psycho shit she throws at him all the time.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.

Roistering. Robbers. Roost...

..did you really just suggest that murdering sentient life forms is okay as long as no one notices?

If generating AIs is cheap and simple, then you can create (and murder) as many as you please in the secrecy of your basement. I don't like that idea, so I'm suggesting the process is complicated and expensive. The AI you produce may not be exactly what you want, but you have too much invested in it to discard it. AIs who wish to become independent may need to serve a period of indenture.

We now know "May" isn't after Dale's money because she didn't go 'boink' and vanish in a cloud of loose pixels when she learned he hardly has any. So what -is- she after?

What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Storel

A lot of people seem to think that May is being treated less like a free citizen than, say, Pintsize or Winslow or Momo. I don't see how that follows from what we've seen so far. Haven't you ever known someone who does nothing but complain about their job, no matter how good or bad the job may actually be?

Consider this possibility: May was hired to work on this beta test project, and she's getting paid decently for it, but because of her, ah, difficult personality, :roll: she just can't stop complaining about it. Doesn't that explain everything we've seen so far just as well as the darker theories?

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

She could be on parole, doing Community service  :-P .

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.

"May" might not identify as female. That could be another reason to dislike the job.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Is there any indication that she doesn't?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Well I don't know how ethical it is, but I think Dale is strongly considering how to kill May right about now.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor

$10 says Dale buys May's program at the end of the test period and installs her in an anthroPC chassis.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Are AI's bad singers because they have no soul?

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Well I don't know how ethical it is, but I think Dale is strongly considering how to kill May right about now.

Fucking Magnets.

Are AI's bad singers because they have no soul?

« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2013, 22:46 by cesariojpn »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

An indenture would violate the AI Equal Rights Amendment.

It's legal to put humans in jobs where they have to wear unwanted outfits and adopt stage names. It's at the edges of ethics and often involves coercion. Is Dickmouth Stinkface being trafficked, or just economically desperate?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

quix0te

• Emoticontraindication

Must be expensive too, or examples like May or Pintsize would be promptly erased for a fresh try.

I am pretty sure that would be murder.
Murder, or SELF ACTUALIZATION?  People change all the time.  Theoretically part of the program would be adapting to make themselves either more pleasant for their companions, or steer their companions towards happier, more productive lives.  I mean, by that logic May could be intended to galvanize Dale into changing some aspect of himself.  Or alternately, both May and Pintsize are yet more products of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.  Pintsize seems to point toward the latter, as he is neither a good companion, nor directing Marten towards a happier, healthier life.

quix0te

• Emoticontraindication

I think this might even part of the "purpose" of this story arc. Showing to the people who don't like Dale that he's decent.
Umm.  In the spectrum of the strip's characters, Dale has seemed positively charming.  He treats Marigold nicely, and hasn't insulted anybody I can think of off the top of my head.  The second puts him ahead of about a third of the characters.

quix0te

• Emoticontraindication

$10 says Dale buys May's program at the end of the test period and installs her in an anthroPC chassis.
I wouldn't rule out Jeph writing that.
 I would doubt it in the real world, #1) because she has the personality of Gilbert Gottfried drunk on tequila, and #2) because I don't see anybody paying for her:  http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-reasons-internet-has-made-everyone-entitled-dick/

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce

She should sing that song from Portal, that sounds best in an AI voice.

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet

Mieville?

Please say we get Mieville.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

He will download her into a Toaster.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Storel

Mieville?

Wait, what does Dora's cat have to do with this?

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

The problem when AIs sing, is that they always over-do the auto-tune.
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2013, 02:48 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Salty

• Plantmonster
  • The Lyingest Liar

It's official.

May is somebody's brilliant attempt at turning Dale into a murderous psychopath.

Y'know, to go with his glasses.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Are you saying May is one of Marigold's "agents"?  :-D
What do you know about Pokémon?

TimO

• Emoticontraindication
    • TimO's Blog

Gods, that would make Talkie Toaster look positively benign!
Actually, it is rocket science.

Hotel Papa

• Not quite a lurker

May seems too mean spirited to be Momo. My bet is it's Marigold. She's got hacking skillz, and assuming he'd like a hot slave maid in a skimpy outfit and that he lives off his parents sounds like the kind of unfair psycho shit she throws at him all the time.
Now there's an idea!

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Pretty sure that's And I Must Scream territory for most AIs out there.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

TO CATCH THEM IS MY REAL TEST
TO TRAIN THEM IS MY CAUSE
 :psyduck:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Random Wanderer

• Not quite a lurker

DAMN IT, now that song is playing over and over in my head. MAKE IT STOP!

I will find a way to have my revenge for this, Jeph.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Now there's an idea!

Boradis makes an interesting suggestion, but where the heck would Marbear get an A.I. just to toss at Dale?  :psyduck:
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

I think the suggestions was that there isn't really any AI, its Marigold herself.
In my opinion, that would be really out of character, though. Both for Marigold to act as the hologram herself as well as to send an actual AI to Dale's glasses. I mean, she is generally awkward around people, and more so around Dale than around almost any other person. This really doesn't seem like something a socially awkward person would do. Until now, Marigold always wanted to get away from Dale, not involve herself with him in any way.
And I sort of object to Marigold throwing "unfair psycho shit" at Dale (this refers to the quote from Boradis). I don't want to restart the discussion about how objectable Marigolds behaviour towards Dale was or wasn't, but I really don't see any psycho shit.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

If anything, Dale's frienemy-like stalking of her was more psycho than anything she's done (including "NO TIPS FOR ALLIANCE SCUM!")
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

As far as I can tell, he's never stalked her, he just did that whenever he happened to run into her.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

Mieville?

Wait, what does Dora's cat have to do with this?

"You got the cat lady again.."

I don't think is her, but i guess that's what ysth was refering to.
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2013, 07:41 by K1dmor »

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Usually "cat lady" refers to someone with more than one cat.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up