THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 Apr 2024, 16:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Saint's Row IV  (Read 13166 times)

ackblom12

Saint's Row IV
« on: 08 Aug 2013, 20:00 »

So Saint's Row IV is about to be released, and while I was kind of meh on it coming so soon after SR3, the more I hear the more I love it. The gameplay changes have essentially turned it into Crackdown: Saint's Row and it just sounds perfect.

Also, this:

ackblom12

Re: Saint's Row IV
« Reply #1 on: 10 Aug 2013, 02:44 »

And now Deep Silver is taking Over the Top to new levels with...

Saint's Row IV Gets $1 Million Special Edition

kyomi

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
« Reply #2 on: 12 Aug 2013, 12:16 »

It says spoilers in the video so I didn't want to watch.

Is it out already somewhere? Or is that a beta or something? I thought SR4 was coming out like next week.

ackblom12

« Reply #3 on: 12 Aug 2013, 14:43 »

It's a review copy Destructoid got. How much do you know about SRIV thus far? It may not spoil anything of importance depending on what you know.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #4 on: 12 Aug 2013, 15:15 »

Spoilers:

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #5 on: 14 Aug 2013, 21:50 »

I wasn't paying any attention at all to this game, because fuuuuck I want to play the first few first, damnit!

That said, I did accidentally see a Youtube ad video for it, and so I came right over here to check on this thread. I laughed and laughed in humor and delight.

ackblom12

« Reply #6 on: 15 Aug 2013, 04:11 »

If you decide to play the earlier games, I'd recommend skipping the first one. It was pretty clearly nothing but a GTA clone looking to be controversial as possible and wasn't terribly fun. Two improved a helllll of a lot and the game was just fun as hell. 3 is when the writing got incredibly silly and they just decided to see how absolutely ridiculous they could possibly get.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #7 on: 15 Aug 2013, 07:48 »

Now I'd actually played a demo of the first and was impressed (at the time) with what customization and changes it had brought to the GTA formula.

That said, I played for about fifteen or twenty minutes, not long enough to engage how satisfying a full product is.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #8 on: 15 Aug 2013, 13:09 »

I became hooked on SRIII purely because of the airplane 'level' (you know what I speak of if you've played it), and because this game does not try to take itself seriously at all.  We need more games like this.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

KingOfIreland

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Artist formerly known as Tuathal
« Reply #9 on: 15 Aug 2013, 14:20 »

I loved SR2 in co op mode, but SR3 just played terribly and couldn't decide on a genre for any two given minutes, executing none of them well, gameplay wise.
"Cock's Fresh Prepared steak"

ackblom12

« Reply #10 on: 15 Aug 2013, 14:24 »

I absolutely love SR3 for so many reasons, but to each their own.

ackblom12

« Reply #11 on: 15 Aug 2013, 16:26 »

Saints Row IV Review

Spoilers, obviously.

ackblom12

« Reply #12 on: 20 Aug 2013, 11:11 »

Oh my god it's just stupidly fun to do anything whatsoever in this game.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #13 on: 23 Aug 2013, 14:11 »

Picked it up today, going to play a bit later tonight.

Stybar

• Emoticontraindication
  • YAAAAAAY!
« Reply #14 on: 23 Aug 2013, 14:15 »

I'm not going to buy it. Not now, at least. I'll wait untill the price drops, then I'll consider buying it.
I loved SR3, but I got through it pretty quickly. I don't want to spend 60$ on SR4 when it will allow me a couple of days of insane fun, and then nothing.
No, I do not give out free kisses. Gross.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #15 on: 23 Aug 2013, 15:54 »

Grabbed it today, we'll see how it goes.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #16 on: 24 Aug 2013, 08:23 »

Played through the first few missions.
The good:
A lot of customisation, something I quite enjoy in games, even if I don't actually like the gang style (bear in mind this is the first Saint's Row game I've played).
Its funny, especially when you use Troy Baker's voice. Still haven't tried Nolan North's, but there's still plenty of time. Also hilarious to see a guy built like a tank doing a hilarious walk in a 50's style sitcom.
It's quick to pick up if you haven't played the series before (AND IT HAS A DECENT MANUAL! RATHER THAN THE SCRAP OF PAPER GAMES HAVE NOWADAYS!)

The bad:
I know the series is supposedly to be outlandish, but I don't know, it feels a little too out there for me.
It feels a lot of Grand Theft Auto, but that's probably just me.
It's a little too easy to get the cops and aliens after you. All I did was steal a car, knock over a couple dozen pedestrians and knock a couple of cop cars off the highway and suddenly I've got Tron-cars after me! (Yeah, ok, this one was a joke)

Decent game, but I haven't really gotten that far into it to really get a strong impression of it yet.

Stybar

• Emoticontraindication
  • YAAAAAAY!
« Reply #17 on: 24 Aug 2013, 11:17 »

About the "outlandish" part, I read in a review that "The devellopers must have been taken home from work in straightjackets". I'm guessing that the complete and utter insanity would be part of the (allure of the) game?

That also could be an explanation to the easy cop-level. It's easier to create insane situations like that.
No, I do not give out free kisses. Gross.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #18 on: 25 Aug 2013, 14:50 »

More of the standard mad cap insanity. I am loving it. Holy fuck super powers <3 just when I thought this game series couldn't get more fun. Few things make me laugh more then watching my main character who, I have recently realized is basically a down right clone of fetish model Bianca Beauchamp running into an enemy controlled zone and punching an enemy so hard he's transported into a small pocket dimension where pain is god and Bianca is pope. I barely drive cars or any vehicles any more. Why the hell would I want to?
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

ackblom12

« Reply #19 on: 25 Aug 2013, 14:56 »

I would occasionally teleport in a tank or something for good ol times, but then I got to level 50 and got infinite RPG ammo. There is so much they did right in this game. I'm actually really really eager to see what they do with the next gen consoles for the series reboot.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #20 on: 25 Aug 2013, 15:08 »

The super speed is ridiculously awesome - its just, wow. (That said, I do love my modded Raycaster. I've done it up to look like an open topped Dodge Viper.)

Currently just running about the simulation, hacking stores to pre-empt Kinsie. And I love the Robocop style SMGs.

Although, considering how much I've played, I've only just freed Matt from his own prison and done a couple of his tasks.

ackblom12

« Reply #21 on: 25 Aug 2013, 15:09 »

Yeah, this game is a lot more densely packed with stuff to do than 3 was. Also more variety.

Also also, I am constantly reminded of how bad I am at Insurance Fraud.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #22 on: 25 Aug 2013, 15:31 »

I hate Fraud. That mini game is the one dark spot on an otherwise brilliant franchise.

A franchise that has given me Malcom Reynold's pistol. Fuck yes.

ackblom12

« Reply #23 on: 25 Aug 2013, 15:43 »

Oh, also I laughed a lot more than I should have at the Golden Cid, aka the literal Golden Snitch.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #24 on: 25 Aug 2013, 16:39 »

As if I wasn't sold already. Damnit guys, give a girl time to wait for the price to fall down. :p

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #25 on: 25 Aug 2013, 16:45 »

Am I the only one who gets really involved in playing dress up in SR games? Presently Bianca is running around in the new "Apocalypse" clothes, stolen directly from Resident Evil, dual wielding Malcom Reynold's pistols. This is too much fun.

ackblom12

« Reply #26 on: 25 Aug 2013, 17:29 »

I play so much dress up. I tend to go between a muscular black woman with dreads and getting as close as possible to making a Janelle Monáe clone as I possibly can.

Edit: Holy shit, there's an ascii graphics mode. if you type 'ascii' into the cheat menu it'll activate it. It disables achievements and challenges like any other cheat though.

« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2013, 18:11 by ackblom12 »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #27 on: 25 Aug 2013, 18:18 »

If I'm playing female it's as previously stated Bianca Beauchamp. My male play through (not gonna really bother this time tbh) is usually based on me, albeit me if I had continued body building, not busted my legs and was four inches taller.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #28 on: 25 Aug 2013, 22:09 »

The best part of the $1 million edition is that it seems like a bargain (considering you get to go to fucking space). Also yeah, played a bit of this tonight, like it so far. Not that far in yet (I don't have superpowers), but should be fun.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #29 on: 26 Aug 2013, 17:32 »

The best part of the $1 million edition is that it seems like a bargain (considering you get to go to fucking space).
Wrrrrroooooonnnnnggggg.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #30 on: 26 Aug 2013, 22:37 »

Didn't realize it was "only" a quarter million to go into SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #31 on: 30 Aug 2013, 23:30 »

Just beat the game. Fun stuff, I like how
(click to show/hide)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

TheEvilDog

« Reply #32 on: 05 Sep 2013, 04:21 »

Last night I wanted to clear the towers, but I didn't want to do that jumping crap. So I stole a helicopter and got the last three done in about five minutes. Love it!

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #33 on: 05 Sep 2013, 07:22 »

I didn't want to do that jumping crap
:psyduck:

A helicopter over jumping? Madness. Utter madness.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

TheEvilDog

« Reply #34 on: 05 Sep 2013, 14:07 »

............The streaking is far more fun that it should be...especially at super speed....

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #35 on: 05 Sep 2013, 17:30 »

Yeah I barely used any vehicles at all during my entire play through. I could run at high mach and leap tall buildings. Getting around like that and occasionally nuking people with Death From Above WAS AWESOME. Hell I barely used guns once I got super strength leveled up. Beat downs and super powers were the menu of the day.

ackblom12

« Reply #36 on: 07 Sep 2013, 13:57 »

This game has so many wonderful quotes, but my favorite has to be a conversation between Benjamin 'Motherfucking' King and The Boss.

"Benjamin: Got a plan?"

Boss: Gettin' the band back together and we're going to kill Zinyack.

Benjamin: That's not a plan, that's a goal!"

TheEvilDog

« Reply #37 on: 07 Sep 2013, 16:54 »

I love the sing-a-longs Pierce and the Boss have during Pierce's loyalty mission, especially when Zinyak fuck with Biz Markie (actually, the best part is when Male Voice 1 is singing along to Opposites Attract, keeps cracking me up (the game keeps glitching so I've had to play through that mission a couple of times)).

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #38 on: 08 Sep 2013, 14:41 »

Pretty much every line in the game is gold. Seriously. This is awesome. I am probably going to replay the story mode, which is a first for a Saint's Row game. Normally I beat the campaign once and proceed to screw around in the open world when I get bored after that.

kyomi

« Reply #39 on: 11 Sep 2013, 08:35 »

I tend to go for more of a gothic kick-ass type girl.. check her out at the saintsrow.com site, my username is megami7502 :)

I can't believe how well the voice fits her though, I think I used Female 2.. it may have been 1 though.. give her a download and try out.
I was also so happy that she converted to SR4 with no problem  :-D

kyomi

« Reply #40 on: 16 Sep 2013, 05:49 »

Last night I wanted to clear the towers, but I didn't want to do that jumping crap.

You realize you're missing a literal crap ton of.. umm.. "collectibles"? (the crystal things.. forgot what they are)

Anyone have this for PS3?  I'm only missing a hidden trophy that you supposedly get during Matt's mission and killing 1000 Zin with super powers. 

The trophy for 2 hours as female and 2 hours as male seems to be different than it was in SR3. Before you could just start a new game or join someone elses as male and it'll work. I tried this, started a new one as male and then there was a pop up for the trophy that said 60/240.. even though I already beat the game as female. ..

TheEvilDog

« Reply #41 on: 16 Sep 2013, 06:29 »

Last night I wanted to clear the towers, but I didn't want to do that jumping crap.

You realize you're missing a literal crap ton of.. umm.. "collectibles"? (the crystal things.. forgot what they are)

You do realise you can come back and get them later. I just hate the climbing.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #42 on: 16 Sep 2013, 13:26 »

I only got enough of those to power up, didn't see the point after that.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

TheEvilDog

« Reply #43 on: 16 Sep 2013, 14:43 »

Not to mention that some of the powers upgrades aren't that useful and/or completely useless, like Tornado Sprint. Which you can't switch off once you've purchased it.

ackblom12

« Reply #44 on: 16 Sep 2013, 14:45 »

Tornado Sprint caused me so many problems during Insurance Fraud events.

kyomi

« Reply #45 on: 25 Sep 2013, 14:04 »

Insurance Fraud is much easier in this game then it was in SR3.  Sprint into an oncoming vehicle but make yourself ragdoll before you hit it. Most of the time you'll hit it right and can control your body across half the map hitting everything. Don't concern yourself with staying in the "bonus zones", I would only start in them.  There seems to be a magic position to get into, a sort of cartwheel with your arms and legs extended.

Tornado Sprint is just fun... especially randomly running around and then stopping suddenly and seeing a few cars zip past you and slam into things.

Also, I thought you needed to get all 300 of them to power up to the max of everything. They are extremely easy to find... I believe there is a collectible finder upgrade to purchase too. Once you have that, bring up the map (select I think) and just hit down on the D-PAD till it selects collectibles and ta-da.. there they all are. You can even set waypoints to them :)

ackblom12

« Reply #46 on: 25 Sep 2013, 14:06 »

There are almost 1200 bits of code to collect.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #47 on: 25 Sep 2013, 22:36 »

aaaaaaaaaagggghhhhh that's a lot of code.

Also, Mind Over Murder dialogue. That is all.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #48 on: 26 Sep 2013, 04:27 »

Hahahah! Nae I'd like to take a moment to thank our dark and powerful Overlord Zindri for sparing our lives and allowing us to continue to comment for Professor Genki's shows.

kyomi

« Reply #49 on: 26 Sep 2013, 17:13 »

Zinyak :)

Those announcer guys were fun in the Super Ethical Reality Climax games in SR3
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up