THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Feb 2024, 14:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How does being a hologram work?  (Read 2187 times)

mikmaxs

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
How does being a hologram work?
« on: 09 Aug 2013, 23:09 »

I've been trying to puzzle this out in my brain... What is May's perspective/The perspective of any AI being holographically projected.
After all, they seem to act from their own point of view, but how is May capable of, say, seeing around a corner that you simply can't see around with the glasses? This wasn't a problem with Station since he obviously had enough cameras to simulate a natural visual perspective, but I'm curious what it looks like from glasses-people perspective.
Also: What are the limitations of glasses-AI? How far away can she go before the projection ceases to function? Is there a snap-to functionIif she drifts out of range which teleports her back in place?
Don't mind me.

SageJiraiya

• Furry furrier
  • My username is from some cartoon or something...
Re: How does being a hologram work?
« Reply #1 on: 09 Aug 2013, 23:23 »

The snap-to concept reminds me of cats and wolves in minecraft. :D

Sorry to disappoint, but early after meeting Dale, May explains that she is not a holographic projection, since it'd be too expensive. She is part of the augmented reality displayed on his glasses. So, only the one wearing the glasses can see and hear her.

I assume that May's understanding of the world is the same as most humans. From our basic field of vision, our minds make assumptions about what it can't perceive. May can only see what Dale sees, although she probably comes with google maps installed. If Dale is walking down the street and a car is out of control that he can not see, May can not warn him, as it is in neither of their fields of vision. However, she could be nice and stay connected to traffic and news reports if she wished.

I wonder what would happen with sound though. Let's say Dale is listening to some heavy tunes while he walks to the local supermarket, and although he hears nothing around him, May could presumably use microphones to listen around for dangerous tones, interrupt his jolly carols for a moment, and inform him as necessary.

This opens up some interesting possibilities, including the potential for echolocation sensed by an AI like May, which is processed into a visual representation to overlay onto Dale's field of vision. This could potentially let him see farther and even through stuff!

So, yeah. Cool.
Cogito Ergo Sum, Amigo.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #2 on: 09 Aug 2013, 23:42 »

Good points!

What if Glasses have a loose privacy policy and May can "see around corners" as long as there's somebody with Glasses there whose view is uploaded to the cloud?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

SageJiraiya

• Furry furrier
  • My username is from some cartoon or something...
« Reply #3 on: 10 Aug 2013, 00:59 »

I'm not sure if loose and intrusive are the same words. Huh.

I am certain you have no idea what I mean, but I feel a need to explain anyway:

The character my username is based on was killed by another character in an anime. That character had 6 bodies under his control. Each of these bodies has legendary eyes which allowed them to communicate and have virtually no blind spots.

This factor made it impossible to defeat one as long as the others could see the aggressor, as even if the one under attack could not see, the others could communicate it visually.

You are welcome to google the six paths of pain, but it'd likely be tough to understand without background in the storyline.

I just felt like sharing that connection.

Back on QC, I think having the public unknowingly wearing observational security cameras on their faces at all times may or may not be a teensy bit manipulative.
Cogito Ergo Sum, Amigo.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #4 on: 10 Aug 2013, 02:40 »

Google maps already uses anonymous data collection to combine GPS data and the location of wifi networks, so I wouldn't be surprised if the QC universe Google equivalent gives certain AIs access to environment data. Probably not May, though.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

aldonius

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #5 on: 11 Aug 2013, 04:31 »

We've already seen that she has access to Dale's calendar.

If they trust her enough/have sufficient controls put in place to probate her as a virtual assistant, I would expect May to have read access to Glass input streams and the public internet. Write access: visual & aural input as hologram-May, possibly data write, all via some very carefully written below-thought-level protocols.

Given that this universe has freaking AI, I would further expect that they have AR-level models of basically the entire developed-world's built environment as part of regular online webmaps.

I have know way of telling how much of the internal feel of a body is simulated for May, but given the rendering detail demonstrated, probably not that much.
Pages: [1]   Go Up