THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 Apr 2024, 11:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What metadata would you want augmented reality to show about you?

Full name
- 15 (3.2%)
First Name
- 27 (5.8%)
Nickname
- 31 (6.6%)
Weight
- 5 (1.1%)
Sex
- 22 (4.7%)
Orientation
- 25 (5.4%)
Schooling
- 8 (1.7%)
Employment
- 9 (1.9%)
Friends list
- 5 (1.1%)
Mutual Friends
- 31 (6.6%)
Dislikes
- 15 (3.2%)
Sign
- 9 (1.9%)
Birthday
- 17 (3.6%)
Religion
- 11 (2.4%)
Politics
- 9 (1.9%)
Blood type
- 21 (4.5%)
Relationship status
- 26 (5.6%)
Languages
- 19 (4.1%)
Contact info
- 7 (1.5%)
Home
- 2 (0.4%)
Hometown
- 10 (2.1%)
This poll is too long!
- 18 (3.9%)
You forgot something!
- 18 (3.9%)
It should show nothing.
- 35 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 93

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2510-2514 (August 12-16, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 55978 times)

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

or it's part of her gui to simulate human body language.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

I really don't like Marigold at this point.
I do. I just don't like her attitude.
But then, I don't expect perfection in friends, nor they in me. We try to be good people, but if sometimes we fail, we have friends to pull us up and tell us what assholes we're being. This hurts both the giver of the comment, and the receiver, so we try really, really hard not to deserve it.

Marbear - you're being an asshole, dear. We love you anyway, but please quit it.

Aye, I should have re-phrased that since I agree with you. You know, I was in the heat of the moment and stuff. :P

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

-blinks- Where'd the pizza go, anyway?
I ate it. Being a mod has its privileges.

Exchange of the year, right here.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

So apparently, Momo can hear May, but cannot see her unless she's wearing the Glasses.
I think she's just trying the glasses on for fun.

-blinks- Where'd the pizza go, anyway?

I ate it. Being a mod has its privileges.

You didn't share?  There are words for people like you.

VERY hungry ?

So apparently, Momo can hear May, but cannot see her unless she's wearing the Glasses.
No, there's a sensor in the glasses - unless someone's wearing them, May's confined to the server.
Momo donned the glasses so May would be there, not to see her.

Ooooh ok thats an excellent idea.
Carpe Diem

westrim

No, there's a sensor in the glasses - unless someone's wearing them, May's confined to the server.
Momo donned the glasses so May would be there, not to see her.
I see no evidence for that belief. Dale turned them off with a physical click to cut her off. As long as they're turned on, she has eyes and ears. I think Sorflakne has it right.

I dunno why Jeph is so surprised that his Kickstarter is doing well. What part of "horde of loyal fans" did he miss, especially since he lives off the merch they buy already? Is it just false modesty?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

What artist is not tormented by self-doubt?  Even if he knew this would happen, he still might not have believed it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Tormuse

• Larger than most fish
  • I'm not really that patriotic... really!

Is it just false modesty?

I wouldn't say it's false.  Jeph has a long history of underestimating how much people enjoy his work and care about him.  And even if he wasn't modest, reaching 300% of his goal in such a short time is pretty impressive!  In any case, I think he just plain and simply understands how important it is to be thankful for the support of his fans.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Didn't he say earlier that there would be feels on Friday? (I think he may still be drawing ahead a bit.)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Why do some people replace "feelings" with "feels"? Just...why?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Either it's a neologism chosen for effect (one which I could certainly do without), or it comes to mind readily because their hovercraft is full of feels.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

#FeelowFriday?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

For me feels and feelings are not synonyms, though I can't easily explain right now.

jmucchiello

• Curry sauce

Why do some people replace "feelings" with "feels"? Just...why?
I assume it relates to Girls With Slingshots in some way since he and Daniel Corsetto are friends.

jmucchiello

• Curry sauce

For me feels and feelings are not synonyms, though I can't easily explain right now.
Feels are unwanted feelings of responsibility and growig up.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Wait, what? I've just seen it used when something provokes an emotional response in general. Also does Corsetto use that word a lot? I honestly hadn't noticed.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Maybe it means they're all going to grope each other.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

Leaving May extremely frustrated, because she can neither grope nor be groped by anyone else present.

Possibly another hologram could interact with her "physically". Maybe Marigold can introduce May to Station.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Spaceshipping?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

What are all the freight companies gonna do when that definition of 'shipping' takes over?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

Leaving May extremely frustrated, because she can neither grope nor be groped by anyone else present.

Possibly another holograma mime could interact with her "physically".
Hey, they gotta be useful for something ...
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

jmucchiello

• Curry sauce

Wait, what? I've just seen it used when something provokes an emotional response in general. Also does Corsetto use that word a lot? I honestly hadn't noticed.
Actually I can't find any examples. Perhaps it's just because that strip is about avoiding feelings (at times) and thus I just associate it with the degenerate "feels" term.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

for me, feels are what I get when reacting to something I'm reading, usually on the internet, on facebook, webcomics, etc and are more of a passive thing

feelings come from a more active place, from deeper reflection or some analytical emotional processing going on in my brain

so you get the feels from things you witness, but you have feelings about things you do

that's my take, not sure if that's backed up in The Literature

Edit: this would seem to contradict Jeph expecting to get the feels from his drawing of the comic... ymmv

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

That was my impression, too, by usage - feelings are yours; feels are thrust upon you. 

Both can happen when you least expect. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

There will be blood
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

... feels are thrust upon you ...

You can press charges.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

altheora

• Not quite a lurker

What are all the freight companies gonna do when that definition of 'shipping' takes over?

I think that's why they're now calling it "logistics".

willpell

• Plantmonster

I'm sure this TOTALLY needed to be said, but...Momo + Glowing glasses = Cutest Non-Fuzzy Anything Ever.
"From the moment I wake, it rains grenades, so I scribble on the page and reality fades."
--Otep, "Serv Asat"

ab720

• Not quite a lurker

If I told someone to leave and they instead walked into my bedroom, yikes.

altheora

• Not quite a lurker

Well, that went surprisingly well. o.o

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Wow - I just can't get used to these early updates! 

Suddenly, those two are surprisingly self-aware.  Dale's obviously been thinking about this a lot - I wonder what Marigold's deal is?
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Am I a bad person for liking the Momo/May interaction more than Dale/Marigold? 
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Nah, I like both though. FWIENDS!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

MightionNY

• Plantmonster
  • Protectobots, combine!

I just had a glorious, three-word thought regarding May:

Momo's.

Old.

Chassis.

:D
"Dance like it hurts.  Love like you need money.  Work when people are watching." -Dogbert

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Did this glorious thought come when you were reading this or last week's WCDT and saw it mentioned several times? :emotrex:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Well, considering how little May likes the 'anime maid' look, I kinda doubt she would appreciate 'chibi anime doll' much more. Any body may be a better option than stuck in a Robot Jail server bank though. Assuming they even let her out and into a body anytime soon.

MightionNY

• Plantmonster
  • Protectobots, combine!

Did this glorious thought come when you were reading this or last week's WCDT and saw it mentioned several times? :emotrex:

.... I haven't read the forums that much lately....

....I guess it wasn't an original glorious thought. :D
"Dance like it hurts.  Love like you need money.  Work when people are watching." -Dogbert

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.

The body language in this comic (2512) is wonderful.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

westrim

I don't like the Dale and Marigold dialogue here at all. It seems like it's hopping through and over steps for the sake of brevity or easy writing or something. How did he start speaking considering she was in a door slamming mood? She accepted his explanation pretty readily for someone so suspicious. And it completely skips over how much of an ass SHE was about WoW, if only for informing her behavior (to expand, I'm not saying it should be mentioned, but that she should be behaving differently based on her previous behavior).

Okay, out with it. I like the idea of the storyline of Dale and Marigold, but the writing and plotting has been not to my liking. It's not cohesive, rife with unexplained skipping and backstepping of chronology and behavior. I like Jeph's writing, but this... this plot was not well written, ever since the peace offering pizza.

Is it me or does Momo look really stoned with the glasses on and her mouth like that?

My suspicion regarding feels is that the neologism is highly subject to personal interpretation and the users meaning, as opposed to having a set and obvious definition. All mentioned definitions have probably been meant by a user at one point or another.

Is it just false modesty?
I wouldn't say it's false.  Jeph has a long history of underestimating how much people enjoy his work and care about him.  And even if he wasn't modest, reaching 300% of his goal in such a short time is pretty impressive!  In any case, I think he just plain and simply understands how important it is to be thankful for the support of his fans.
That was the wrong term to use- I shouldn't morning and type. It's just the way he wrote about it, it seemed like it emphasized doubt that the fanbase would come through ("I had ever dared hope", for example) rather than joy that it was so enthusiastic. He better than any of us can see exactly how many people read him every day and buy his merch.
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2013, 22:16 by Westrim »

ab720

• Not quite a lurker

Westrim: Possibly they liked each other, and both realized how they fucked up.

Hell, I could have even been wrong earlier, and Marigold wanted Dale to leave because she was embarrassed, not because she was filled with rage.

Hell, even the Hiss might have been a defense mechanism.

One of the most powerful ways to defuse an argument is to admit that you fucked up.

That being said, the whole momo parent trap bit, it seems a bit creepy, but she does want marigold to have friends.

Romanticide

• Plantmonster

I find it odd that Dale was scared to speak with Marigold normally, he doesn't seem to have any problem to talk to any of the girls of the coffee shop, but I guess when the girl in question likes WoW he freaked out... I find it cute that they finally seem to able to clear the misunderstanding.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Dale seemed to be a confident conversationalist when he and Marigold first met. How do we reconcile that with his saying he's afraid of talking to girls? It's also worth remembering that he's a favorite at Coffee of Doom.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Yeah, his introduction was pretty much 'This is cool guy Dale, he's a pretty cool guy.'

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Allowing for the fact that more people than want to admit it, suffer critical clarity failures when we most want to be clear ... substitute "girls I'm interested in (as girls)" for just "girls" in Dale's speech and things become clear. As I recall, Dale at first had no difficulty in talking to Marigold UNTIL the exact moment he discovered (by reading her T-shirt, IIRC) she was a fellow WoWser/wargamer/whatever the hell they want to call themselves. Then Marigold shifted into "NO TIPS FOR ALLIANCE SCUM" mode -- I'm going to assume, based on some experience, this was a panicked reaction to "omg someone's taking notice of me and I didn't initiate this contact" -- and off we were to the present races.
I don't intend to present this as DALE'S FAULT vs. MARIGOLD'S FAULT RARRR, though it will no doubt degenerate into that. Just as two people of good will, both reacting out of fear. Are they perfect people? Complete fuckups? No more or no less than any other h. sap drawing breath at the moment, despite what we may think of ourselves.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Suddenly, those two are surprisingly self-aware.  Dale's obviously been thinking about this a lot - I wonder what Marigold's deal is?

The smaller inner part of her that figured that this might after all be the case had, until now, been shouted down by insecure majority.

I don't think she's been unaware necessarily, just unwilling to allow herself to believe it. Probably because the last time she became willing to believe something optimistic, she ended up getting crushed.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

As I recall, Dale at first had no difficulty in talking to Marigold UNTIL the exact moment he discovered (by reading her T-shirt, IIRC) she was a fellow WoWser/wargamer/whatever the hell they want to call themselves. Then Marigold shifted into "NO TIPS FOR ALLIANCE SCUM" mode -- I'm going to assume, based on some experience, this was a panicked reaction to "omg someone's taking notice of me and I didn't initiate this contact" -- and off we were to the present races.

I'd forgotten that Marigold got a scared expression as soon as she realized she was risking an actual conversation:
http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1668 . It really shows on her face.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

It seems so obvious now that you point it out. She does not hate every player on the other side. She needs an excuse to end the encounter.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

If I told someone to leave and they instead walked into my bedroom, yikes.
Yes. Now she has a genuine reason to fear him.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

Maybe it was more like a "*knock knock* 'May I come in? I wanna apologise.'"
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up