THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 18:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

GUEST STRIP WEEK! Who's your favorite Guest Stripper?

James Wheeler (the first one, #24)
- 0 (0%)
Stirling McLaughlin (JavaSmell!)
- 0 (0%)
Sam Logan!
- 1 (3%)
John A from Scary Go Round!
- 1 (3%)
Rikk Estoban, Skull Panda!
- 0 (0%)
Jason Sigala!
- 0 (0%)
Mitch Klem (409)
- 0 (0%)
Cris Hastings/Kent Archer (670)
- 0 (0%)
Ryan North & Liz Greenfield (674)
- 0 (0%)
Minimalist Stick Figure Theatre (782)
- 0 (0%)
David Willis (numerous)
- 2 (6.1%)
R.K. Milholland (numerous)
- 4 (12.1%)
Ryan Estrada (971)
- 0 (0%)
Zach Weiner
- 2 (6.1%)
Rene Engstrom
- 1 (3%)
R. Stevens (Diesel Sweeties)
- 0 (0%)
Angela Melick (Wasted Talent, 1266)
- 1 (3%)
John Keough, Lucid TV (1365)
- 1 (3%)
Joel Watson
- 0 (0%)
Danielle Corsetto!
- 5 (15.2%)
A bunch of weirdos (2316)
- 11 (33.3%)
Someone else!
- 4 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2515-2519 (August 19-23, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 28025 times)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Do I get to post my hostnames?

Solaris
sparcgap: A Sun Ultra 1 200E Creator3D that I no longer have, my first Solaris box. Jumped the gap into SPARC ownership (although my printer is SPARC-based, too).
leydenjar: An RDI PowerLite 640 (50 MHz) that I was given. This being a laptop clone of the SPARCstation LX, it's an old way to take a SPARC with you. A Leyden jar was an old way to take a spark with you. ;)
brescia: A Sun Blade 2500 2x 1.6 GHz, which was the fastest CPU configuration offered in a workstation-class SPARC machine. So, it was the "biggest" SPARC. The lightning strike with the biggest impact as far as death toll struck Brescia, Italy, when it hit the Bastion of San Nazaro, detonating 90 Mg of gun powder, and killing 3000. We'll call that the "biggest" spark.

Other *nix
uncannyvalley: A Dell CS24-SC running FreeBSD 9.1 (runs http://bhtooefr.org). Basically, a whitebox server that Dell slapped their logo on, to get a 2-socket, 4-bay 1U machine. So, it's a weird Dell. Weird == uncanny, Dell == valley.
korora: An IBM RS/6000 Model 250, although that has nothing (except for the size, the 2xx chassis being the smallest MCA machine with two 32-bit MCA slots) to do with the name, and it's only in this category because the host OS is AIX. It's got a P/390 Adapter/A (with RAM card) installed, which is a System/390-compatible CPU, 32 MiB RAM (and another card bolted to it with another 96 MiB), and glue logic to attach it to the MCA bus. Kororā is Māori for the Little Blue Penguin, which is the smallest penguin. IBM is commonly referred to as Big Blue. The mainframes are the biggest IBM hardware. This is the smallest possible IBM mainframe.

RISC OS
riscybusiness - This was my StrongARM Acorn RiscPC. I might resurrect it (needs a motherboard) eventually.
sapling - My Acorn A3020. The A3010 and A3020 were the smallest non-laptop RISC OS machines, and were also among the slowest (there were a few slower, though). Good for games, though.

Wintel
KiaAvella: An Acer Aspire One D250. In the US, Ford sold the Kia Avella (a variant of the first-generation Mazda 121) as the Ford Aspire.
Ko-Hyoteki: A Fujitsu P1620. Core 2 Duo in a netbook sized machine... so a little machine that pack(ed for its time) a punch. Ko-hyoteki means target (which was some subterfuge, in case it was discovered by spies), but was the name used for several classes of midget submarine that the Japanese used in WW2 (including in the attack on Pearl Harbor) - a little machine that packed a punch.

Other
bradbury: My printer. Capable of burning through paper. (Also, this acts as a continuation of the theme that the other SPARC machines started (I named this one last, it ran the factory default hostname for the longest time). What could set paper on fire? A spark. And this has a SPARC.)

None of my Apple devices have interesting hostnames (bhtooefr-ibook for my iBook G4 IIRC (been a LOOOOONG time since I've booted that), bhtooefr-mbpr for my MBP Retina, I don't think the Mac LC has a hostname (I got it to use it as a IIGS peripheral, though, to route LocalTalk traffic), and the IIGS doesn't have a hostname (nowhere to put one, although there is a Unix-like environment for it, but I haven't gotten that running to the point that I can change it from the default).) My phones and tablet run their defaults.

After all of those puns, I think I'll go ahead and put a C-note in the pun jar.
« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2013, 15:54 by bhtooefr »

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

I really should come up with some theme for my hostnames... all my computers have hostnames of the form (myname)-(type of computer), e.g. (myname)-DESKTOP.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

My home server host is running Hyper-V - it is called Juggler because it has to juggle its workload.

The domain controller (virtual) is called Boss, and the backup domain controller (physical - an old laptop in fact) is Sidekick.  The file and web server (also SSH, torrents) is Minion (also virtual).  No explanations needed, I guess.

(Previous servers have been called Dunce, 'cos the desktop is cleverer, and Elf, 'cos it was a busy little helper.)

Current desktops - mine: Willis (a family name); my wife's: Polly (one of the dogs) and Oxford ('cos it was my wife's work machine when she worked there).  There's also a couple of laptops, but their names keep changing, and I can't remember what they are at present.

My domain name (both MS and Internet) is cassland.org - I used to live in a Cassland Road.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

I feel like Willis captured the spirit of Claire quite well in this guest strip.  :-D :-D

And having read through all of Roomies!/It's Walky! this weekend made me really confused when I opened QC and saw Willis' art style.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

My computer's name is "gaidhlig".  Self explanatory for a celtic geek.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Claire, what have you done?!

Also,

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

I did not realize what the spaceships were on first viewing.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

She's just upset because nobody's alive to hear her pun.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

Look out! There are Llamas!

Ok, Alpacas. Same diff.

I suppose I better explain again....

Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Toe

• Obscure cultural reference

I object, this comic only shows one butt, when there obviously has to be plural butts for an appropriate BUTTS LOL, I mean we have a clear case of Butts Disease, there's a dire need here, so BUTTS!!!!

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Ok, Alpacas. Same diff.

I suppose I better explain again....

*shake shake*

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Ooooh curse you troll master general Jephizba! Curse you! Enjoy your vacation!
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

I object, this comic only shows one butt, when there obviously has to be plural butts for an appropriate BUTTS LOL, I mean we have a clear case of Butts Disease, there's a dire need here, so BUTTS!!!!

Pretty sure it's Faye's butt, though.  That's worth a few right there...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

FuryoftheStars

• Furry furrier

She's just upset because nobody's alive to hear her pun.

Ok, Alpacas. Same diff.
*facepalm*  I didn't catch the spelling until after I read these two and went back to look again....

Well, you do also have a couple robot Alpaca butts in profile....  Yeah, I don't think those would count for much, either.

TimO

• Emoticontraindication
    • TimO's Blog

Regarding May's name, presumably in AI/AnthroPC space, they communicate using their own "internal" naming / designation system.  This could quite possibly something as simple as an IPv6 address, but it doesn't necessarily need to be human readable (OK, we can read IPv6 IPs, but they're not very friendly).

If May hadn't had much to do with human's previously, she may not have needed a name which humans could easily use, so her interactions with Dale may have been her first significant human to non-human communication, and that necessitated a name.

I quite liked May, she had an appropriately "what the fuck" attitude, so hopefully we'll see her again, further downstream.

Since we have a lot of machines at work (I'm not sure how many, certainly tens of thousands), but only one Windows domain, and thanks to Microsoft's forethought, a flat namespace, every machine has to be uniquely identifiable via it's name alone (even though the FQDN allows them to be recognised through the hierarchical structure of the DNS system).  Locally, through random historical chance, we've ended up giving all our lab's servers names relating to horses, so they've become more and more cryptic.  The early ones were Unicorn and Pegasus, but in more recent times we've had to resort to names like Xanthus and Balius!
Actually, it is rocket science.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

thanks to Microsoft's forethought, a flat namespace, every machine has to be uniquely identifiable via it's name alone (even though the FQDN allows them to be recognised through the hierarchical structure of the DNS system).

This is why my machines at work all have (had, it's changed recently) names starting with clph- and ending with the last digits of their IP address (and some coded letters in between).

However, note that it's no longer necessary to use NetBIOS/WINS in a domain, so the flat namespace can be history.

In my previous job, the naming "scheme" was that any new machine, server or desktop, had to have a name that was as completely unconnected with any other name on the network as could be thought of; that's how I ended up with a desktop called "Bread".
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

The server names at work are named using a scheeme that is frequently changed. We have

Animals of prey
Asterix characters
Scientist
Nordic mythology

depending more on when the server was named than what it is or what is does. The most recent scheme is  strings of letters and digits that seem emminently logical to the infrastructure people, but utterly random to everybody else.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

For my stuff the naming scheme is Nordic Mythology as well.

My Android has the hostname "ratatoskur".
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

FuryoftheStars

• Furry furrier

Our work servers are named... not very originally.  First couple letters are the site designation followed by what it hosts (ie, DC for Domain Controller, FP for File & Print, NOTES for our old Lotus Notes mail server, etc) and a numeric if needed.  Regular PCs are either the user's last name first initial with the PC model tacked on the end, or site initials and station location.  It works, though.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Fuzzy mini-llamas.

EDIT: PT410X found his serial number more dignified for ID purposes than a human-style name.

Interesting difference: Winslow got to pick his own name, May didn't. Is that a civil right you lose in Robot Jail?
« Last Edit: 20 Aug 2013, 17:06 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

Fuzzy mini-llamas.

Link no worky.

Interesting difference: Winslow got to pick his own name, May didn't. Is that a civil right you lose in Robot Jail?

For companion APCs, I have the impression that the process is pretty informal: if the 'bot doesn't already have a name, it and the human toss around some ideas, and the 'bot picks one it likes. Or if it doesn't have a strong preference, maybe it lets the human pick. (I don't think they've ever mentioned how Pintsize got named, though.)

For an AI prisoner in a work-release program, the rules are likely a bit stricter. In fact, I think May explicitly tells Dale "You get to name me" because of the program she's in. So yeah, that's probably a right you don't get when you're a  prisoner.

FuryoftheStars

• Furry furrier

For companion APCs, I have the impression that the process is pretty informal: if the 'bot doesn't already have a name, it and the human toss around some ideas, and the 'bot picks one it likes. Or if it doesn't have a strong preference, maybe it lets the human pick. (I don't think they've ever mentioned how Pintsize got named, though.)

For an AI prisoner in a work-release program, the rules are likely a bit stricter. In fact, I think May explicitly tells Dale "You get to name me" because of the program she's in. So yeah, that's probably a right you don't get when you're a  prisoner.
Hmm, obviously up for interpretation, but my view of it was that she simply didn't have one yet and/or didn't care... 2495, 3rd panel

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage

The Alpacalypse

Damn

*Heads for a Llamasary*
James The Kugai 

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

I don't know if Christianity will save us from the Alpacalypse. Perhaps we should consult the Dalai Llama?
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

and it looks like she's..... aiming?

FuryoftheStars

• Furry furrier

I don't know if Christianity will save us from the Alpacalypse. Perhaps we should consult the Dalai Llama?
Didn't Sim City 2k or 3k have funny cracks now and again involving Llamas?  Including some reference to a Dali Llama?

and it looks like she's..... aiming?
I'm sorry... that comment couldn't help but remind me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9rBv4Dn3Bk&feature=player_detailpage&t=83, start 1:23

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Hmm. Reading Jeph's twitter makes me imagine him like this. :-D

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Link no worky.

Thank you -- fixed it.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES

I have no idea what's going on in todays guest comic and am confused that Claire is suddenly built like Triple H.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

May's Gone, Where do we go from here?

The first date, of course.    7 (10.6%)
Back to CoD, as always.    5 (7.6%)
Angus finds out - he got the part!    6 (9.1%)
Wacky "Smif is back in session" hijinks!    1 (1.5%)
MOM shows up in NoHam - and makes a beeline for the Secret Bakery!    3 (4.5%)
Amir books the band for a concert!    5 (7.6%)
A week of guest strips!    7 (10.6%) <-- Sadly, the winner.
A week of Yelling Bird and Harriet!    7 (10.6%)
C'mon, you're slipping; you forgot (unfinished storyline to be named later)    3 (4.5%)
Waffles and Spathe Ham!    1 (1.5%)
WE ARE WORKING ON THAT TECHNOLOGY    7 (10.6%)
Who cares? It'll be funny.    6 (9.1%)
MOAR MAYYYYYY!!!!!!    4 (6.1%)
Claire puns again! (That's for Westrim.)    4 (6.1%)  <--- DAMN YOU, WILLIS!

Total Members Voted: 66
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

I have no idea what's going on in todays guest comic and am confused that Claire is suddenly built like Triple H.

Maybe she was given Steroids instead of Hormones?

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES

I hope this isn't followed by Hanners getting stimulants.

Toe

Took me a moment to figure out the first panel. (Made a lot more sense after that.)

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES

Yeah the entire source of the confusion is 'who is the man in panel 1?' And now I feel silly not knowing it was Hanners just from context.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

I rather like the way the green men are aping the Official Star Trek TOS Bridge Poses.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Kel's style is a bit... wonky.  I quit following Sorcery 101 a while back. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

The new poll is difficult with just a single vote. Willis and Corsetto are, of course, more familiar (not forgetting a bunch of locals). Rolling dice - Danielle gets the nod this time.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Squiddlywinx

• Emoticontraindication

I've been naming electronics since my first iPod asked me to. That was Bob, its successors were Jasper, my kindle's Suzy, and my laptops have been Jonah and Lola because I like Vonnegut and The Kinks.

And this strip seems like a weirdly in character thing for Hannelore to do. Claire and Clinton seem to have their quirks/relationship ramped up for drama but I could see Hannelore encoding some sort of hidden message into at least one of their songs. And now I'm wondering why Deathmole doesn't really make cheap little youtube videos to kind of get Hanners into performing. I'm sure Winslow could help out.

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

Hmm, obviously up for interpretation, but my view of it was that she simply didn't have one yet and/or didn't care... 2495, 3rd panel
Ah, yes, I seem to have misremembered that strip. Looks like you have it right, thanks!

WareWolf

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Makin' This Up As I Go

(Long time lurker, first time poster)

Why is Hanners a dude?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Hanners has been known to hack her hair short. She really needs to stop reading Wikipedia.

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

The guest comic authors really like Claire.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

WareWolf

• Makin' This Up As I Go

The guest comic authors really like Claire.

As the parent of a trans kid, I do too :-)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Why is Hanners a dude?

The more I think about that the more questions I ask myself. Why is it so easy to mentally assign a sex based on a picture with so few cues? The short hair is just the Hanners we know. Is it something about facial dimensions, or is it the thick arms?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

WareWolf

• Makin' This Up As I Go

Why is Hanners a dude?

The more I think about that the more questions I ask myself. Why is it so easy to mentally assign a sex based on a picture with so few cues? The short hair is just the Hanners we know. Is it something about facial dimensions, or is it the thick arms?

The arms, definitely. And the nose. The features are just too large and coarse to be immediately recognizable as Hannelore, who's much more slender and delicate looking.

FuryoftheStars

• Furry furrier

Yeah, I agree.  The nose is what really sets it off for me.  Took me a few times before I realized it was supposed to be Hanners.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
James The Kugai 

Toe

Hanners has been known to hack her hair short. She really needs to stop reading Wikipedia.

I always kinda wondered why she never let it grow back out, since it was sort of an accident. Well, other than the obvious 'because Jeph', of course.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Well she didn't have a particularly good reason to do it in the first place but once it was short maybe she realized she liked it.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up