THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 05:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So, do you guys like superheroes and MMOs?  (Read 4178 times)

warcabbit

• Plantmonster
So, do you guys like superheroes and MMOs?
« on: 27 Aug 2013, 12:37 »

I'm kind of working on one. I don't know, is anyone interested in that sort of thing? I'll try to answer any questions if anyone is.

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.
Re: So, do you guys like superheroes and MMOs?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2013, 13:03 »

Is this one of the projects that's coming about from the ashes of City of Heroes?

I played that game for seven years and I will never understand why NCSoft shut it down.
Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

Stybar

• Emoticontraindication
  • YAAAAAAY!
« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2013, 13:55 »

Isn't there DC online? It's a game in which you get to create your own hero/vilain and get to save/smash up the city, all in a MMO format.
No, I do not give out free kisses. Gross.

warcabbit

• Plantmonster
« Reply #3 on: 27 Aug 2013, 14:00 »

It is. Missing Worlds Media's version of the Phoenix Project. I'm currently the aide to the President. It involves making sure the team leads are doing what they need to, and patching the heck out of any problems I find. You know, juggling a thousand things.

We've got something like a hundred and thirty people I'm riding herd on, so it can get... interesting.
As far as to why CoH got shut down, there's a number of speculations, ranging from money laundering to simple 'refocusing the company' to 'not invented here'. We can say it was making well over a million a month, and that NCSoft Korea did offer to sell it... at 80 million dollars. Which is basically another way to say 'we don't want to sell it, we want it dead.'

The devs themselves tried to buy it out, as did a number of other people, but that number was... not acceptable.

That's really all I can say about that matter.

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.
« Reply #4 on: 27 Aug 2013, 14:16 »

Aha, that's good to hear. I knew there were some projects being worked on but I didn't realise just how big it had grown.

How similar is this looking to be to CoH?

Edit: Also I tried DC Online, and Champions Online, but eeeeeh, neither of them compare to what City of Heroes was. It was the only MMO to properly catch my attention.
Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

warcabbit

• Plantmonster
« Reply #5 on: 27 Aug 2013, 14:56 »

Inspired by, but not the same. New world, new lore, new gameplay. We've got the advantage of ten years of technology growth. That being said, the overall feel, we intend to keep whole. Jump. Fly. Teleport. Run. Punch.

Fun.

You and seven of your friends and a dumpster full of nazis being punched on fire with explosions. What more could you ask for? Dinosaurs? Moon nazis? Steampunk soldiers?

We can't duplicate anything in CoH. But we can try to remember how it was, and make a new game with the same spirit. Costume contests under the Phoenix statue. Building a personal base. Control of an elite team of personal pets that do your bidding with extreme accuracy. (I remember I once got a pair of robots to act out Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. I'm not sure why I did it, but it was either that or Waiting for Godot, as I saw it.)

Can we do more? Vehicles. Team and personal bases. The freaking mooooooooooon. (Or maybe Mars.)
We can try. Depends a lot on what we learn. There's going to be a lot of learning involved.
Mayhem? Oh yes. For heroes as well. I mean, screw it, you want to punch Cobra in the face, you don't care if the entire base explodes around you, and might like it more if it did.

Shapeshifting. Stretching.

I can't promise you all I've said above. All I can say is that we have design goals, and, given money and time, we will reach as many of them as possible. Some may prove to be impossible. Some may be easier than you think, given the new engines.

But, yes, we intend to be All Things To All People, and I intend to do it well and in ways you can't imagine.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #6 on: 28 Aug 2013, 08:09 »

I wish you luck. I've been keeping a half eye on the projects. I was a long time City player, since they released City of Villains. I sometimes play Champions and DC Heros... But they just aren't the same. I've been through NC Soft killing off a number of fun games that I liked.. But killing off City, and worse how they did it has completely soured me to them. Now I don't want to play any of their games. Which is a shame, because they've always had great games.. they just are sucky at management and have no feel for gamers.. So here's to you and your team, bringing super heroes back to the fun we remember.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #7 on: 31 Aug 2013, 06:29 »

I plaued CoH for years. Tried DCU and Champions online and it just wasn't the same. One thing will bring me to another superhero game, a huge amount of costume choices that I don't have to pay for with 30 goddamn micro transactions. Same with powers, don't make me pay $5 to unlock being able to shoot energy.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

warcabbit

• Plantmonster
« Reply #8 on: 06 Sep 2013, 19:37 »

I think you'll be happy, then. There's designs for... oh god you don't want to know how many class variants plus (mumble) plus pre-diversified powers.
And the costume parts... well, yes. We're going to sell packs, sure, but you get a good choice first. And the packs will have good value. See CoH.

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist
« Reply #9 on: 03 Oct 2013, 16:54 »

Free advice: Have you tried Marvel Legends? Don't do That.

Ben Grimm should not be a character class.

warcabbit

• Plantmonster
« Reply #10 on: 07 Oct 2013, 21:39 »

I dunno. I mean... Ben Grimm. You get thirty of the guy, how could it be a bad thing?

Anyone else, sure.

Thing's cooking along pretty okay, by the way.

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist
« Reply #11 on: 08 Oct 2013, 08:24 »

I dunno. I mean... Ben Grimm. You get thirty of the guy, how could it be a bad thing?
...bad Thing?
I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, but now I'm imagining an evil Thing with like a stone goatee or something; maybe colored purple.

As far as why 30 Grimms would be a Bad Thing, imagine being Thing #30. You'd feel a little redundant. As Penny Arcade put it, you're no longer THE Thing, you're just A Thing.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #12 on: 14 Oct 2013, 21:34 »

Yo are you involved with the City of Titans project? because if so that is looking pretty ace so far.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #13 on: 15 Oct 2013, 04:57 »

As someone who's been involved and had friends involved with Non-Disclosure Agreements and other such policies, it might be more wise to edit out that name, Jace. Some companies I've worked with *have* been paranoid enough to check logs and do web-searches.

warcabbit

• Plantmonster
« Reply #14 on: 18 Oct 2013, 04:32 »

You know, I might just be connected to that thing. Funny how the world works.
Pages: [1]   Go Up