THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: When in Rome, do as the Romans do  (Read 33407 times)

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
When in Rome, do as the Romans do
« on: 11 Sep 2013, 07:57 »

I'm always fascinated by all the small differences between cultures. Whether it's the different ways of counting with your hands, as has been made popular by Quentin Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds, or different eating manners, it's the small things that can make a big difference. This community is spread so widely over the world, that it's a fine opportunity for us to find out what's true and what's not.

I'm very interested in e.g. eating manners in the US. I've heard that it would be common to cut everything on the plate into pieces and then lay down the knife and change the fork to the right hand.
In Germany you'd normally keep the knife in the right hand as long as you eat, and only cut your food, right before you push it onto the fork.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
Re: When in Rome, do as the Romans do
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2013, 07:59 »

I've never done it that way, though I don't really pay enough attention to that sort of thing to notice if anyone else does it that way.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

questionablydiscontent

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2013, 11:47 »

I'm very interested in e.g. eating manners in the US.
Haha, we don't have manners in the US! :wink:
I've heard that it would be common to cut everything on the plate into pieces and then lay down the knife and change the fork to the right hand.
In Germany you'd normally keep the knife in the right hand as long as you eat, and only cut your food, right before you push it onto the fork.
I'd say the proper etiquette is very similar to that, but I don't think you really need to cut everything on your plate at once. I'm no expert on refined dining, but I don't think how much of the cutting is done at once matters. Cutting a few bits-- or even just one bit-- at a time is fine.
But it is true that after cutting, you're supposed to lay down the knife and place your fork in your right hand before spearing your food onto the tines.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2013, 11:57 »

the only case where I have seen people cut all the food on their plate before eating is when serving a child.  I normally cut my food and eat with the fork that is already in my hand....sometimes I use the knife to stab the piece of food and eat it too... :mrgreen:
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #4 on: 11 Sep 2013, 11:59 »

This might be slightly offensive, but eating that way seems kinda.. childish to me. I remember doing that when I was like 6 years old. Ever since I've been able to muster up the coordination to eat the way it's considered "right" in Germany, I can't imagine anything else. Just feels wrong to me, somehow.

Another interesting eating-related thing is tipping. In Germany it's considered polite to leave a tip, but only if you were satisfied with the service you received. From what I heard, in the US it's considered offensive leaving no tip at all, though I imagine waiters here don't like it either, when you don't tip. It's lost money, after all.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #5 on: 11 Sep 2013, 12:07 »

I'd say the proper etiquette is very similar to that, but I don't think you really need to cut everything on your plate at once. I'm no expert on refined dining, but I don't think how much of the cutting is done at once matters. Cutting a few bits-- or even just one bit-- at a time is fine.
But it is true that after cutting, you're supposed to lay down the knife and place your fork in your right hand before spearing your food onto the tines.
'Supposed to'? For a right-handed individual, doing anything else would be extremely impractical. It's difficult for me to cut food with the knife in my left hand, and also to eat it with the fork in my left hand, so obviously I'd switch the fork to my right hand after I cut my food. I imagine everyone does.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #6 on: 11 Sep 2013, 12:07 »

in the US tips are how the servers get paid, they get paid next to nothing by the restaurant because they are expected to make their actual money from tips.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #7 on: 11 Sep 2013, 12:13 »

From what I've heard, waiters in the US don't always get a fixed pay, so tips are their only income. In Germany that's different. Waiters or waitresses are always being paid a fixed salary by their employer, so they don't actually "need" the tip. It's still more polite to leave one, albeit a smaller one. In Germany 10% or more are typical if you were happy.

Also I was surprised when I saw photos of receipts which have a "tip" field to fill in. Here there is the normal price on the receipt, and usually you hand over the money saying either "Stimmt so" (which means something like "I gave you this sum intentionally") or the sum you want to give.

ps: And two new replies. LTK: well, in Germany you basically keep knife and fork in your hands at all times, unless you want to drink something. Like ChaoSera said, to us it seems childish to change hands for the fork.
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #8 on: 11 Sep 2013, 12:14 »

'Supposed to'? For a right-handed individual, doing anything else would be extremely impractical. It's difficult for me to cut food with the knife in my left hand, and also to eat it with the fork in my left hand, so obviously I'd switch the fork to my right hand after I cut my food. I imagine everyone does.
I'm right handed and I can't cut my food with my left hand, either. But using the fork with my left hand is the easiest thing in the world, it just takes a little practice at first. After a few months of doing it, it feels as natural as the eating itself.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #9 on: 11 Sep 2013, 12:18 »

From what I've heard, waiters in the US don't always get a fixed pay, so tips are their only income.
They get paid a lower minimum wage than any other job, and that minimum wage hasn't been increased in decades. I don't remember the exact amount, but it's about $2.50/hour.

ps: And two new replies. LTK: well, in Germany you basically keep knife and fork in your hands at all times, unless you want to drink something. Like ChaoSera said, to us it seems childish to change hands for the fork.
The way I do it is I hold the knife with my left hand and the fork with my right hand, and I don't switch hands. I guess I'm weird, or maybe I'm unknowingly a left-handed German?  :psyduck:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #10 on: 11 Sep 2013, 12:24 »

Well, we know your secret now. You're a secret, left-handed, beetle.

Yeah, but another thing is this:
spearing your food onto the tines.
In Germany that might be alright for steak or something, but at least in a fine restaurant the normal way to hold a fork, to which you revert after you ate the bite you had "speared" onto it, is this.

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #11 on: 11 Sep 2013, 12:48 »

How this American tips.
Basic Service: 10% of total bill (including taxes) or a minimum of $1 per diner.
Great Service: 15%  or a minimum of $1 per diner.
Awesome Service or Huge Party: 20-25% or $2 per diner.  I may even commend and praise you to your manager.
Car Delivery Service: 20%+
Awesome Service + I'm Drunk + You're Cute:  I don't recall the cost, I just tipped her $50.

edit:
Crappy Service / Bad experience / Piss me off: $1, in coins if I can.  I may even complain to your manager. :x

I won't ever leave Nothing
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #12 on: 11 Sep 2013, 13:05 »

I only remember one instance in which Nick and I didn't leave a tip- the server was acting as though we were inconveniencing her just by being there and as the night progressed it just got worse and worse. Whatever could have gone wrong, did. We tried to bring things up nicely- please, thank you, etc and she just wasn't having it. (We like to abide by the rule "Don't piss off people that handle your food" but this girl was pissed off before we even sat down.)

Generally, we double tax and round up for standard service, throw a couple bucks extra in if you're nice and give 20% to those that go above and beyond. Just once though, when I have enough $ to do so, I'd like to leave a really good server a 100% tip.

If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #13 on: 11 Sep 2013, 13:21 »

as a rule I do 15% if its outstanding service 20%, though for pizza deliveries I typically tip $3.50-$5 and they think I am the most generous man ever for some reason.  I guess they are used to people not tipping at all.
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2013, 13:37 by LeeC »

ackblom12

« Reply #14 on: 11 Sep 2013, 13:24 »

That may be partially due to people mistakenly believing that delivery charges are for the drivers. They absolutely are not.

15% is the absolute least I will tip for decent service. I waited tables for a few years and I don't eat at the kind of places (on the occasion we have money to go out) that the waiters are going to be doing particularly well. Fuck da tip system.
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2013, 13:52 by ackblom12 »

The Seldom Killer

• More witless shite ----->
« Reply #15 on: 11 Sep 2013, 13:50 »

I was speaking to a Canadian recently who, as far as his Danish Grandmother-in-law is concerned, is as good as American. She politely enquired early on in his marriage whether he had learnt to use cutlery yet.

The Seldom Killer

• More witless shite ----->
« Reply #16 on: 11 Sep 2013, 14:06 »

Tipping is an uncomfortable topic in England. Too little may cause offence and is practically complaining,  too much may appear ostentatious and too exemplary of divisive classism. If you only have notes you'd have to ask for change and that requires drawing attention to yourself. Tipping in groups only compounds the issue. We can barely ask for the bill once we've finished eating let alone bring ourselves to publically judge the performance of the serving staff. Frankly, if it weren't for a basically functional minimum wage we'd never eat out adt all.

Next you'll be suggesting we ask for assistance finding something in a shop. Far better to pretend to receive an impotant text, politely thank the cashier, leave the store and never return in case they think you're a loonie or somethink.

Nikolai

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • H-Hello? Is this thing on?
« Reply #17 on: 11 Sep 2013, 14:20 »

On the subject of utensil use, I'm left-handed and the fork never leaves my left hand. I cut with my right hand. When I moved to the USA, I was somewhat shocked to discover that amongst my wife's immediate and extended family, knives are rare; forks are used to cut almost everything.

Regarding tipping, I make a point to never tip less than 15%. Usually I try to do things like round the bill up to the closest base5 amount. Increases for quality food, service, and attractiveness, of course.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #18 on: 11 Sep 2013, 14:50 »

Tipping is practically unheard of down here. though I am aware that in some Restaurants, it's not uncommon - especially from foreign tourists/visitors.

Wait Staff, whether it be at a fine Restaurant or the guy/girl behind the counter at Maccas or Burger King earn the minimum wage here, which is around $13.75 an hour.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #19 on: 11 Sep 2013, 15:38 »

I always keep my fork in my left hand and cut with the right. It's completely normal here - no one ever switches their fork from hand to hand in this country.

I learnt to tip in the USA, so I am a bit more militant about it than most UK people, but I typically go with 15% since we don't have variable tax and do have a semi-living minimum wage (it's not a living wage, but it's about four times the minimum for wait staff in the USA). It's also easy to calculate.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #20 on: 11 Sep 2013, 19:50 »

I don't think this has been said.  If so, I'll say it anyway.

I think it's worth noting that when we (Americans) eat with a fork, we hold the fork like a spoon, making it uncomfortable to use the weak hand.

Europeans turn the fork "upside down" (from our perspective) and hold it like a pencil.  This makes eating with the weak hand far more manageable.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #21 on: 11 Sep 2013, 20:21 »

I disagree.  At least, Ankhtahr's pic that was linked showed the fork that way. 

I write with the right hand, but do everything else left handed.  So I use fork and spoon in the left hand, but I have no problem cutting with a knife using the right hand, so I eat like a German.  Probably because I'm just ambidextrous enough to laugh at people with one nearly useless hand...

As for the "Tip" line on a receipt - it may well have been a credit card receipt, where you wrote in the amount you want to tip. 

It can be zero, but should never be left blank, unless you want your server filling it in...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #22 on: 11 Sep 2013, 20:43 »

I tip 10-20% based on quality of service. If service sucks I will absolutely leave nothing. If it's really terrible I'll ask to see the manager.

I much prefer tipping culture in Japan, namely tipping is extremely rude because you shouldn't have to pay extra for good service. Of course wait staff make more then $4.50 an hour over there too. It is worth noting that by law I'm 98% sure that for tipped staff, if your tips don't equal out to minimum wage per hour, your employer has to make up the difference.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

ackblom12

« Reply #23 on: 11 Sep 2013, 20:48 »

$2.50 is the usual wait staff minimum wage.

While that's technically true, if you don't make minimum wage with tips you just get fired.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #24 on: 11 Sep 2013, 21:07 »

Most places pool the tips anyway. 

Papersatan

« Reply #25 on: 11 Sep 2013, 21:16 »

Awesome Service + I'm Drunk + You're Cute:  I don't recall the cost, I just tipped her $50.

Increases for quality food, service, and attractiveness, of course.

While this is a common practice, I would like to point out just how fucked up it is.  Most wait staff are female and a system of tipping in which (mostly male) customers base the wage they give on the attractiveness of the server forces servers into an awkward position.  If they want to make a decent wage they have to make sure they are sexually attractive, which is not their job.  It also means that waitresses who are not white, or thin or otherwise "conventionally" attractive, get paid less for the same work. 

If you take 3 minutes to really think about what you are saying, you are either saying that you think that being sexually attractive you to is a part of that waitress's job, or that you are entitled to give any woman money as a reward for being sexually attractive to you .  This attitude makes waiting tables have a much higher rate sexual harassment than average, and the workers frequently have to tolerate it if they want to get paid.  ( here's a nice Slate article which mentions the problem)
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra
« Reply #26 on: 11 Sep 2013, 21:25 »

Yeah, tipping is a super weird practice. Ya weirdos.
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #27 on: 11 Sep 2013, 21:34 »

$2.50 is the usual wait staff minimum wage.

It's been $4.00 something in most of the states I've been in, and I have been in many states.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

ackblom12

« Reply #28 on: 11 Sep 2013, 21:40 »

That's fine, but I'm just stating that it's not actually accurate for many states. Double checking it, the Federal minimum wage for tip based waitstaff is actually $2.13. Seems as if most tend to stick to $2.13 - $4, some going up to $5, with a few not actually allowing below minimum wage for tip staff.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm

« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2013, 22:08 by ackblom12 »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #29 on: 11 Sep 2013, 21:48 »

I was speaking to a Canadian recently who, as far as his Danish Grandmother-in-law is concerned, is as good as American. She politely enquired early on in his marriage whether he had learnt to use cutlery yet.

Canadians know all about cutlery.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #30 on: 11 Sep 2013, 22:26 »

Tipping culture is so weird to me. In Norway it's pretty simple, you tip about 10% if you're in a restaurant or cafe where waiters serve you at a table, but if you pay and get served by the counter you don't tip. In the UK, apparently you're supposed to tip your hairdresser, which I never did until an English person told me (and then I felt really bad about my previous hairdresser experiences since I'd lived there for two years at that point). Here in the states, you seem to tip everyone and their grandmother, but I have no idea how much.

As with cutlery, usually when we go out to eat here they don't even give us a knife! I have no problems holding the fork in either hand, but I prefer having the knife in my left and the fork in my right (I'm left handed), and I have no idea how to eat with only a fork. What if you're eating rice or something, how are you supposed to eat the last bit if you don't have a knife to shove it onto the fork with?
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #31 on: 11 Sep 2013, 23:00 »

Use the forks, Luke!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #32 on: 11 Sep 2013, 23:49 »

*groan*

Personally, I hold my knive with the left hand and my fork with the right (and now you made me selfconscious about how I actually hold it...), but I think I am the exception. (Yes, I'm righthanded.) On the other hand, I don't think I have seen the people I hang out with switch hands either...

Tipping: I almost always tip. Usually something like 10% plus round up to the next Euro. (One should probably say I eat out in the range of 5-6 Euro per meal). I don't tip at takeout. I am not sure if I am supposed to tip the hairdresser (part of why I feel awkward going to them. The other part is that they always seem to mess up :() Germans, help me out there?

I also think tipping and eating habits are regionally dependent within Germany. (You Americans may laugh now.)
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #33 on: 11 Sep 2013, 23:58 »

spearing your food onto the tines.
In Germany that might be alright for steak or something, but at least in a fine restaurant the normal way to hold a fork, to which you revert after you ate the bite you had "speared" onto it, is this.

I generally transfer the fork to my right hand if using it like a spoon; when in the left hand it is mostly used with the tines down, either piercing the food, or with the food precariously balanced on top (perhaps squashed on).  I think one reason some children hate peas is being forced to eat them this way.  But I will admit to turning it over when in the left hand more often now than I was taught - if I ever go a really formal meal again, I wouldn't consider doing that, though.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #34 on: 12 Sep 2013, 03:03 »

Like ChaoSera said, to us it seems childish to change hands for the fork.
Meh. At most meals I don't use knife and fork at all, but chopsticks. If I am eating "Western style", I mostly eat like a European with the knife in my right hand and fork in my left, because that is normal in Australia, but I eat things like Quorn-mince Spaghetti Florentine, or Chilli Con Quorné (I stole the idea from Barmymoo) with a fork in my right hand. So... who cares? Heaven knows what you guys would make of a real cultural difference like squat toilets or something.

Tipping in Australia used to be unknown, I understand, and you still don't tip taxi-drivers, porters, in cafés etc. The influence of American culture has introduced it in restaurants, but I'd say 10% would be the maximum if you were happy. People often just "round up to the nearest $10". Bear in mind that the national minimum wage here for a person 20+ years old is about $16 per hour, and "penalty rates" (overtime) may apply in some cases.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #35 on: 12 Sep 2013, 03:09 »

Heaven knows what you guys would make of a real cultural difference like squat toilets or something.

I only know one squattie in the UK, which an acquaintance of mine installed for herself on principle (there's a normal bowl next to it in the same room).  I've not seen one in Germany, but they're not uncommon in France and Italy.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #36 on: 12 Sep 2013, 03:36 »

Like ChaoSera said, to us it seems childish to change hands for the fork.
Meh. At most meals I don't use knife and fork at all, but chopsticks. If I am eating "Western style", I mostly eat like a European with the knife in my right hand and fork in my left, because that is normal in Australia, but I eat things like Quorn-mince Spaghetti Florentine, or Chilli Con Quorné (I stole the idea from Barmymoo) with a fork in my right hand. So... who cares? Heaven knows what you guys would make of a real cultural difference like squat toilets or something.
If I eat something that doesn't require a knife I switch the fork to my right hand aswell, I would feel strange not doing so. Chopsticks are a different thing entirely. I'm not able to use chopsticks properly, I always drop half of what I'm trying to eat, or fail to pick it up entirely. :psyduck:
Also I'm not sure what squat toilets are and I don't want to google for it here at work. But if they are what I think they are, there probably are very few - if any at all - in Germany.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #37 on: 12 Sep 2013, 03:40 »

Squat toilets are common on highway toilet stops in France, and I think they serve the same purpose in other central European countries as well.

Heaven knows what you guys would make of a real cultural difference like squat toilets or something.

I only know one squattie in the UK, which an acquaintance of mine installed for herself on principle (there's a normal bowl next to it in the same room).  I've not seen one in Germany, but they're not uncommon in France and Italy.
What principle might that be?

Anyway, if someone ever reprimanded me for not following dining etiquette by holding my knife and fork in the wrong hands I'd probably tell them there are many more things I could do with that knife and fork that would violate dining etiquette.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #38 on: 12 Sep 2013, 05:30 »

What principle might that be?

The principle of using at home what she believes is the best and most healthy way for her body to perform the function involved.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #39 on: 12 Sep 2013, 05:42 »

Well, I guess I learned something today: Some people take toilets really seriously!

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #40 on: 12 Sep 2013, 06:49 »

Yep, squatting toilets are definitely uncommon here, but are common in Italy at least (I never was in France).

And by the way, if you're eating something where you don't need, and so don't have a knife, then you'd have the fork in the right hand (if you're right-handed) as well. It's just that we don't change hands during eating and keep the knife in our hands. When you reverse the hands (knife in left, fork in right), I'd probably assume that you're left handed and not be offended by it.

Well, and chopsticks are a different thing entirely. I can use them, and when I'm at a "Chinese" restaurant (I put it in quotes, as the restaurants here are hardly authentic) I'll probably do, but it's not really comfortable to me.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #41 on: 12 Sep 2013, 07:05 »

I have a really hard time eating with my right hand.  It's hard to find my mouth.  That's why, despite writing with my right hand, and being perfectly able to use right handed scissors (and other one-sided tools and utensils like can openers), I consider myself a lefty.  If I can do something either way. it's usually more comfy with the left hand. 

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #42 on: 12 Sep 2013, 07:38 »

Tipping culture is so weird to me. In Norway it's pretty simple, you tip about 10% if you're in a restaurant or cafe where waiters serve you at a table, but if you pay and get served by the counter you don't tip. In the UK, apparently you're supposed to tip your hairdresser, which I never did until an English person told me (and then I felt really bad about my previous hairdresser experiences since I'd lived there for two years at that point). Here in the states, you seem to tip everyone and their grandmother, but I have no idea how much.
here in the US we tip the hairdresser/barber and servers at a restaurant.  We do not tip the guy at the counter.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #43 on: 12 Sep 2013, 09:32 »

In the UK, apparently you're supposed to tip your hairdresser, which I never did until an English person told me (and then I felt really bad about my previous hairdresser experiences since I'd lived there for two years at that point).

I'm in Northern Ireland and I've never heard of this?  Although my Mammy has given our hairdresser smallish gifts, like a box of chocolates, around Christmas because we've been with them for a few years now and have a consistent person. Although I only get my hair cut usually once, maybe twice a year.

Something small my Mammy taught me to do at meals was when you're done eating, to lay your knife and fork together parallel on the plate. I thought it was because she sometimes waitresses and it made the plates easier to carry without dropping the cutlery but it was something her Irish granny told her. Now when people leave their cutlery crossed or not together on the plate, I get antsy until I or they fix it.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #44 on: 12 Sep 2013, 09:39 »

In Germany that's the nonverbal way of saying that you've finished eating. Having the cutlery crossed on the plate means that you want to continue eating.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #45 on: 12 Sep 2013, 10:30 »

Putting your cutlery together when you finish is what I was taught too. Also I think with hairdressers you tip unless the person who cut your hair is the owner of the salon, or something. I don't get my hair cut any more, but when I did I went to a tiny little place where the only people working there were the ones who owned it, and I usually tipped because they charged so little I felt bad!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

ackblom12

« Reply #46 on: 12 Sep 2013, 10:50 »

here in the US we tip the hairdresser/barber and servers at a restaurant.  We do not tip the guy at the counter.

Unless it's a bar.

lepetitfromage

• addicted to the shindig
« Reply #47 on: 12 Sep 2013, 11:10 »

Or there is a Tip Jar on the counter.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #48 on: 12 Sep 2013, 11:32 »

Unless it's a bar.
ah true.  I meant not the cashier at McDonalds or 7-11

Or there is a Tip Jar on the counter.
that always feels option IMHO.

Grognard

• Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #49 on: 12 Sep 2013, 11:42 »

I usually see Tip Jars at the coffee shop and the ice creamery.
if the barrista makes me a drink, I'll tip $1.
if I pour my own, I keep the $.
For ice cream, I tip .50c for everyone in the group.
family of four = $2 tip.

as for
"Awesome Service + I'm Drunk + You're Cute:  I don't recall the cost, I just tipped her $50."

in my defense, "you're cute"; sometimes that just means "You made the experience enjoyable simply by your presence."  the waitress wasn't a supermodel, she just had us all laughing at her comedic antics with our group.

Another waitress made a good tip by flirting heavily with my wife. She made my wife smile and blush and smile more.
That made me happy.  Happy customers tip well.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up