THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 23:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Total War: Rome II  (Read 6514 times)

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
Total War: Rome II
« on: 09 Jul 2013, 19:44 »

OS I'm pretty sure I got my preorder down for this, anyone else excited to be strapping on the hobnail sandals again?
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
Re: Total War: Rome II
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jul 2013, 00:59 »

Yess!

Although it has been fun to musket armies apart for a couple of games, and Shogun 2 was a blast, I want to get back to the roman empire and all of the awesome that brings. It looks like they've done some pretty massive improvements; a top-down strategic view has been needed pretty much always, the unit cards are gorgeous, and, I donno, look at it:

It's shaping up to look gorgeous. And I think you might be able to play as Cleopatra yesss.

There's a few things I wonder, though. First of all, will we still have sea battles? I think the way those worked in Shogun 2 (the early eras) was great - the balance between fast, weak ships that could swarm on one side and huge heavy hitters on the other was pretty awesome. The Roman era is, as far as I know, more about ballistae and ramming, which I hope they can pull off well.

I'm also curious on what they're going to do with regards to agents - I think the ninja/metsuke/monk dynamic of Shogun 2 was far more interesting than the diplomats, spies, and assassins (and priests/imams) of the earlier games, and I hope that we get to see something more like that. Do we know if religion is going to be playing a part of nation-ruling? I'm also curious about the research trees and how they've been using that.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2013, 03:33 »

Well they'll still have the sea battles, I don't think you could ever get rid of them after bringing them in, but I just love how I now have the option of ramming my fully loaded galley into someones port and watching hell unleash.

It makes me tingly, it really does.

And as much as I loved Shogun 2, I REALLY want to get back to fort battles like in Medieval 2. And the battles look SO HUGE now! The Carthiginian demo was what hooked me. And I love that now it isn't a battle for the walls then a single point, how instead you have to fight like from district to district.I also really hope they give you the option to fortify the sieging army, like building up siege engines and fortification to keep the enemy in as well as to help slaughter them.

I can't even remember if I put my preorder down or what. . .
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul 2013, 08:39 »

you can also do naval and land battles at the same time as was shown int he Egyptian gameplay trailer at e3.

I havnt pre-ordered it yet but plan to so I can get the 3 greek factions but will wait for another paycheck or two.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jul 2013, 08:59 »

I know that Preorders Are Bad, but at one point you know that you can trust a dev to bring out great games (until they stop - looking at you, Might and Magic 9). I'm getting a season pass if there is such a thing comming.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #5 on: 08 Aug 2013, 15:13 »

Well, I couldn't get myself the collectors edition, which sucks, because I really wanted to bombard my flatmate with cheetos at breakfast. But at least I'm getting the culture pack still. Now I just gotta wait it out. . .

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #6 on: 17 Aug 2013, 19:29 »

Update: It's confirmed that you can pimp your war Elephants.

Nuff said.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #7 on: 18 Aug 2013, 02:56 »

Pimp yr elephant? Now that would be a show I would watch.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #8 on: 19 Aug 2013, 13:19 »

Heh, Rome would be so jealous of Carthage. But yeah, apparently you can customize the look of your units as well. I wonder if it does anything for their armor and movement ratings as well. . .

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #9 on: 19 Aug 2013, 14:04 »

are you suggesting we paint the elephants red so they move faster?

it will probably be like the multi-player in Shogun 2 where you can individualize unit colors.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

KingOfIreland

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Artist formerly known as Tuathal
« Reply #10 on: 19 Aug 2013, 14:07 »

RACING STRIPES
"Cock's Fresh Prepared steak"

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #11 on: 19 Aug 2013, 14:50 »

Knowing how horribly everything was painted back in those days, that's probably how they painted their armor anyways. Those white marble statues? When the paintjobs those had has been recreated, they look fuuugly.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #12 on: 21 Aug 2013, 13:13 »

Macedon is my favorite faction for the first game, this seems promising.  Was hoping to see some battlefield screens though.  I like the art.

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/73722-Jack-s-Macedon-Campaign-Playthrough?

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #13 on: 21 Aug 2013, 15:15 »

Intriguing, very intriguing. I figure I'll have a go at Macedon at some point, but I kinda want to have a whirl with Rome, Carthage and Egypt first. Then possibly some of the barbarian tribes.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #14 on: 24 Aug 2013, 14:07 »

The game kicks off in 272 BC so for funsies I looked up that year on wikipedia just to see what happens...

By place:
Seleucid Empire

The Seleucid king Antiochus I Soter is defeated by Egypt's Ptolemy II during the First Syrian War. Ptolemy II annexes Miletus, Phoenicia and western Cilicia from Antiochus. As a result, Ptolemy II extends Egyptian rule as far as Caria and into most of Cilicia.

Egypt

Egypt's victories solidify the kingdom's position as the undisputed naval power of the eastern Mediterranean; the Ptolemaic sphere of power now extends over the Cyclades to Samothrace, and the harbours and coastal towns of Cilicia Trachea, Pamphylia, Lycia and Caria.

Roman Republic

Pyrrhus' departure from southern Italy three years earlier leads to the Samnites finally being conquered by the Romans. With the surrender of Tarentum, the cities of Magna Graecia in southern Italy come under Roman influence and become Roman allies. Rome now effectively dominates all of the Italian peninsula.

Greece

Cleonymus, a Spartan of royal blood who has been outcast by his fellow Spartans, asks the King of Macedonia and Epirus, Pyrrhus, to attack Sparta and place him in power. Pyrrhus agrees to the plan, but intends to win control of the Peloponnese for himself. As a large part of the Spartan army led by king Areus I is in Crete at the time, Pyrrhus has great hopes of taking the city easily, but the citizens organise stout resistance, allowing one of Antigonus II's commanders, Aminias the Phocian, to reach the city with a force of mercenaries from Corinth. Soon after this, the Spartan king, Areus, returns from Crete with 2,000 men. These reinforcements stiffen Spartan resistance and Pyrrhus, finding that he is losing men to desertion every day, breaks off the attack and starts to plunder the country.
    As they plunder the countryside, Pyrrhus and his troops move onto Argos. Entering the city with his army by stealth, Pyrrhus finds himself caught in a confused battle with the Argives (who are supported by Antigonus' forces) in the narrow city streets. During the confusion an old woman watching from a rooftop throws a roof tile at Pyrrhus which stuns him, allowing an Argive soldier to kill him.
    Following his death in Argos, Pyrrhus is succeeded as king of Epirus by his son Alexander II while Antigonus II Gonatas regains his Macedonian throne which he has lost to Pyrrhus two years earlier.

India

The Mauryan emperor, Bindusara, sends the Mauryan army to conquer the southern kingdoms. Kadamba is conquered.

Quite the turbulent year.  Also how Pyrrhus dies is kind of cute/heroic.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #15 on: 24 Aug 2013, 18:18 »

I just like that someone was paying enough attention to notice that a little old lady helped take down the King of Macedonia and Epirus.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #16 on: 03 Sep 2013, 00:19 »

5-10 more minuted of this day one update and I'll be playin!

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #17 on: 03 Sep 2013, 01:23 »

Man, I want to play this. But I have 3 important exams in 3 weeks and I can't afford to get caught up in a game as time-consuming as this.

But goddamnit I want to play this game...

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #18 on: 03 Sep 2013, 07:25 »

Man, I just spent the last few hours on this, and it is so fricking sweet! Sure, there were some glitches, but landing a flanking force on a larger army and making them leg it just.  . . DOES things for me. Y'know?

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #19 on: 07 Oct 2013, 10:43 »

Rome is drowning in the Mediterranean.  May have to take out the Etruscans to complete that province.  The Volcae took the last bits of Cisaplins and Italia that I need.  May have to take it away from him and their holdings in Gaul.  I think I'll then push through Spain into north Africa, circling back around to Egypt then pressing east for the province I have to conquer, Bactia.

After that I'll just have circle around and finish the 140 regions requirement for a military victory.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #20 on: 07 Oct 2013, 13:55 »

What difficulty did you go with?

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #21 on: 07 Oct 2013, 15:26 »

Macedonians. Love their cavalry and strong front lines.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #22 on: 07 Oct 2013, 22:24 »

Tried playing the Athenians to just to try them out.  Watching "Rise and Fall of the Spartans" from the history channel on youtube just for fun.  Invaded Larissa which was held by Epirus.  Brother Sparta actually showed up to help me.  I brought 10 units of hoplites, 3 slingers, and 3 javelin men.  the Spartans brought 2 units of helot skirmishers and 3 units of spartan hoplites.  Isn't it just like the Spartans, showing up to a battle with only a hand full of troops.   :roll:

The auto resolve would have me lose by a large margin, lets look at the results shall we. Oh look we only lost 83 troops total out of thousands when I play the battle myself!  Was interesting though, the Epirus army had elephants! Had a bit of poetry to it.  Athens and Sparta in arms together.  Would post screen shots of the battle, but I dont want to annoy the community.  Still broke phalanx when telling them to attack with one click.  Really pissed me off so I stopped playing as them.  Its such a pet peeve of mine I don't think I can play as the Greek states because of it.  Which is REALLY weird seeing as the hoplites (not pikemen) that I used to secure my flanks with Macedonia did advance and engage in phalanx formation.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #23 on: 08 Oct 2013, 02:58 »

Started playing yesterday and played through the prologue. I'm really enjoying it so far, but I don't get the sea battles. I ordered an assault ship to ram one of the transport ships and it even hit it with full speed and on the broad side, but it practically bounced off. That was so far the only sea battle I played by myself, so I don't know if that's a common occurrence but I expected to see the assault ship smash into the transport ship and at least make a hole of some kind.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #24 on: 08 Oct 2013, 03:04 »

There is. . . . some massive ass balancing going on with it. I expect they'll get to sea battles sooner or later. I personally enjoy the Pontus faction most of all, having a nice, strong mix of various units to choose from. Not to mention the strong starting position, once you secure that peninsula, it can be pretty hard to get dug out.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 08 Oct 2013, 16:58 »

Isn't it just like the Spartans, showing up to a battle with only a hand full of troops.   :roll:

That all depends on what you mean by 'Soldiers'
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #26 on: 09 Oct 2013, 04:53 »

Well, some has to pay that, guess I'll have to. *offers fistbump to Kugai for excellent youtubing.*

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #27 on: 09 Oct 2013, 10:30 »

The second-top comment is great:

"I'm looking for a new career path to get in to. How much does AHOU pay? And are there any health benefits involved? 401k, retirement funds, etc.?"

:-D
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #28 on: 09 Oct 2013, 11:20 »

So, the German Confederation is growing. I'm currently at 15 regions and in the process of conquering 2 more cities. Quite enjoying this game, although the performance could be better. I'll probably have to turn down the graphics settings some more. There are also occasional crashes, which are annoying but could be worse, thanks to the great autosave function.
Pages: [1]   Go Up