Fun Stuff > BAND

Favorite covers thread

<< < (42/42)

Akima:
Akka-Dakka on the guzheng for the win!
//www.youtube.com/watch?v=564u39PJfUI

Near Lurker:
Not gonna lie, I don't expect this choice to make me friends, but it is one of my favs:

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQfArLjjfacScissor Sisters - Comfortably Numb

(There was at one point a video where the band were swimming, but it seems to have been pulled.)  It might be that I actually heard it before the original.  And while I'm making myself reviled, what the hell:

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKp0V6lJHpkElvis Presley - Yesterday/Hey Jude

(I kind of wish there were a better version, but it is what it is.)  What can I say?  I have a soft spot for the mashup, especially considering that we know, and he knew then, that this was an Elvis well past his prime.  Anyway, perhaps as a palette cleanser, something perhaps a bit less blasphemous:

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3MvA4AXoMwChristopher Lee - My Way

...yeah, this one I don't feel quite so compelled to justify.

Thrillho:
Even as someone who loathes that cover of Comfortably Numb, it is absolutely what I think a cover should be about - radically altering the original while still retaining enough of it to not make it pointless to cover it. It's genius.

Elvis on the other hand, to quote my father, 'loved covering his favourite songs and ruining them'

Tova:
The Comfortably Numb cover is the only one of those three to stand on its merits. The other two just don't work IMO.

Akima:
I might have discovered a new favourite cover. Natalie Merchant and 10,000 Maniacs cover "Because the Night":
//www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUPmA6NFrOw

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version