Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Hats  (Read 34372 times)

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
Re: Hats
« Reply #50 on: 05 Oct 2013, 13:40 »

Almost every time I read something Jace wrote it makes me laugh.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #51 on: 05 Oct 2013, 13:43 »

What the fuck.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #52 on: 05 Oct 2013, 14:11 »

I'm not in the business of wasting time trying to figure out if someone wearing a fedora is truly a Fedora or just a dumbass with no sense of fashion. Thus it is a trivial matter to lump the latter group into the former. I am also not in the business of being fair with judgements, which is probably why I don't care for many of the people on this forum.

It's cool, bro, we don't care for you either!

I hadn't heard of this thing either. I spend a lot of my time in a fedora anyways, so I don't really buy it.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #53 on: 05 Oct 2013, 14:24 »

I have only but a few hats as I think i look terrible in hats. Also I have a rather large cranium (forgot the measurements for brain cavity but had to be measured in a bio-anthropology class and it was 1/3 bigger than the average) I usually have to get large size hats.

I got a cowboy hat from my parents that says Indiana Jones (it is not a fedora) on the leather strap that goes around the head part.

A "Finn hat" from adventure time that my ex made me

a winter beanie I think they are called?  i call it a head sock.

an all black winter cap with ear flaps

an Ushanka made of rabbit fur.  It make me sweat in the winter time.  Good for when I visit my folks in upstate Maine though.  I need to get a new one though as it may be a bit too small.

The top two are basically props I can;t wear outside the house.  the bottom 3 are for warmth.

The fedora seems to be the thing of hipsters and party gorillas from what I have seen.  If I ever got one I want the old style Indiana Jones one, not these short brim styley ones they sell now.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #54 on: 05 Oct 2013, 14:29 »

I have my military hats, a couple ball caps and beanies (mostly left over from the military, I love my watch cap!) a cowboy hat (not a Stetson), my Akubra (Akima is clear to make fun of me for this one), and my renn faire chevalier hat. A couple driving caps (I lost my favorite one and have yet to find a suitable replacement) I think I also have a beret kicking around for various costumes. I need to pick up a proper ushanka.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #55 on: 05 Oct 2013, 17:26 »

Ok, let's clear things up about these hats you're talking about.

THIS is a fedora:

THIS is a trilby:

A trilby is a type of fedora, but a fedora is not a trilby. Most of the hatred is towards trilbies because those are more readily available and are typically what the douchey Nice Guys wear. Hating all fedoras because one stereotypical people group (a relatively small people group) is dumb and sad because nice fedoras are just that - really nice! They are pretty classy hats when worn with appropriately classy attire*! My husband is a big fan of 20s fashion and he looks pretty damn GOOD dressed up in a suit and fedora. And it's a real fedora like I pictured above, not a trilby, and it's a well made one, not a $10 crappy one.

*And when worn with casual attire, I personally have no shits to give. I've worn chucks with fancy dresses, I'm not one to judge.

Note: The rest of this post should be read in a happily sarcastic tone.

We've had this discussion in the past in the old fashion thread, I'm pretty sure, but I'm kinda tired of the whole, "everyone who wears a fedora is a douche," thing because it's not true. You don't like the hat? Fine! Who cares! It's not your job to "educate" fedora/trilby wearers that their hat is dumb, because they are free to wear whatever hat they like. You think their taste in hats is bad? They probably also think YOUR taste in hats is bad! Personally I like wearing the most ridiculous hats I can find because sometimes it's fun to wear weird atrocities on your head! Especially those weird ass fascinator things you see in department stores and during Royal Weddings. (If you have not tried walking around a store with one of those things on your head, you should because it's hilarious - no lie.) And some people just wanna wear something on their head and don't want to wear a baseball cap or cowboy hat or beanie or whatever. If only people were as lucky as me and had a face shape that worked with any and all hats. Like srsly I wear hats like a boss, be jealous.

/end happy sarcasm
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #56 on: 05 Oct 2013, 17:33 »

I've got a Finn hat, which I wear outside during winter, and a Mega Man hat that my girlfriend got for me. I also have a Detroit Tigers cap that I usually wear to hide my bed head.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #57 on: 05 Oct 2013, 17:47 »

I used to wear fedoras all the time, I had a collection of three or four, (real fedoras mind you) and I tended to dress to the fedora, with either black jeans, khakis or other more "proper" trousers and a button down. (I was quite well known for my "Castro Lite" look in summer with various tropical shirts (usually in whites or tans instead of those horrendous Hawaiian shirts) khaki or white shorts and one of my "summer" straw fedoras. Sadly I lost them all at one point or another. Which is where my slouch cap (also called an Akubra, for the company that makes them) comes in.

Mine is in leather with a more American West styled crown, but is the same otherwise. I'm quite fond of it though I don't wear it, or indeed any hat often any more.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #58 on: 05 Oct 2013, 17:57 »

I have a Tyrolean hat*, a Waldo hat, a fleece Totoro hat, a Jayne hat, two sun hats, a chullo-like hat, a Dobby inspired hat, a small newsboy, and several various knit beanies/skull caps/whatever-the-right-word-is hats. I think there's more, but they might be at my mom's house somewhere. I like wearing hats. And I'm serious, the weirder the better.

*I specifically wear this to the various Oktoberfests around the city (there's pretty much one every weekend starting at the end of August continuing through early October, no lie) and a once-a-month Händlmaier's mustard fan club brunch. I don't typically wear it just to wear it like I do with the others.

Now I'm tempted to photograph myself in all of my hats. Maybe all at once ala Team Fortress 2!

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #59 on: 05 Oct 2013, 19:41 »

Honestly I regret having posted that picture with the hats because it sparked this weird tangential discussion.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #60 on: 05 Oct 2013, 19:50 »

I can understand regretting it when it caused unpleasantness but didn't the subsequent hat sharing make it sort of worth it?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #61 on: 05 Oct 2013, 20:01 »

Honestly I regret having posted that picture with the hats because it sparked this weird tangential discussion.

Don't, we're all abut the tangential discussions! 

I wear hats out of necessity.  Sunburned scalps do not allow one to sleep well against a pillow.  I have a collection of ballcaps in various states of decay; One with the Star Spangled banner that I picked up at Fort McHenry, one with the make-a-wish logo, one with the human rights equal sign on it, and the only one with a sports logo is for the USBDT (US beer drinking team - it's official!). 

I've had a nice Panama for summer (it fell apart a few years ago), and what I describe as a very broad brimmed fedora (fedora style crown, but the brim is a good 4 - 5 inches) for nasty weather (keeps he rain and snow off the shoulders, the back of the neck, out of the face... best hat in the world).  It's showing its age, though. 

I had a tall crowned flat brimmed straw hat that people said made me look Amish until the puppy ate it last fall, and I have a couple of simple knit beanies for winter. 

At least I think that's what people mean by beanies.  They look like this;

Sometimes I turn the edges up, my wife says I look like a longshoreman. 

I also found, in an old suit jacket, a collection of about half a dozen Yarmulkes from weddings and bar mitzvahs over the decades.  I don't wear them, but I think I want a fez... just on general principles. 

Oh, and I still have the hood from my monk's habit from when I was Brother Martin in my SCA days. 

For someone who needs hats, my collection's pretty paltry. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #62 on: 05 Oct 2013, 20:47 »

The merchandise store absolutely needs to carry Worry Hats.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #63 on: 05 Oct 2013, 21:20 »

Knit,

crochet,

or fleece? 

That's just a few that a search on "worry hat" produced.  They're out there...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

henri bemis

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Don't F with my glasses
« Reply #64 on: 05 Oct 2013, 21:30 »

Dammit, as soon as I learn how to knit something other than a scarf, I am making myself a worry hat.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #65 on: 05 Oct 2013, 22:09 »

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. How did I forget about the worry hat?! And that first photo you posted is a free pattern on Ravelry, which means I can make my own.

Yes, I will be making one of these in the future...to add to my growing collection of nerdy and/or ear flapped hats.

Hmph! Well I don't!  :mrgreen:

ackblom12

« Reply #66 on: 05 Oct 2013, 23:37 »

I wear hats out of necessity.  Sunburned scalps do not allow one to sleep well against a pillow.

Seriously, since I shaved my head I've realized how much of a problem Vitiglio actually is as far as my health is concerned. I despise the fact that I have to get used to wearing headware during sunny seasons or risk being perpetually sunburned and dying of fucking skin cancer.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #67 on: 06 Oct 2013, 00:14 »

I take it you don't tan well then? I shaved my head for years just as a matter of ease and cleanliness, (shaved scalps don't pick up dirt in the field nearly as badly as hair) and once my skull tanned up to the rest of me burning wasn't a problem.

ackblom12

« Reply #68 on: 06 Oct 2013, 00:24 »

I have Vitiligo, I don't actually tan at all on a large portion of my body because I don't have Melanin in a sizable portion of my skin. If I tan or get sun burn, my white blood cells start attacking the Melanin and Melanin doesn't come back once it's gone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitiligo

I avoid 99% of the social stigma since I'm white, but it has some rather unfortunate day to day, as well as some very possible long term, issues.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #69 on: 06 Oct 2013, 00:31 »

Man less then 1% of total global population. Now THAT are some long odds to have working against you.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #70 on: 06 Oct 2013, 00:41 »

Steve, if you don't like hats, how about just getting really crazy about using sunblock? I don't have vitiligo, but I burn quicker than most people and sunblock is my best friend in summer, I have a 50+ bottle in my bag wherever I go from like May to September. It's a hassle at first, but once you get into it it's just routine.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

ackblom12

« Reply #71 on: 06 Oct 2013, 00:51 »

I definitely try Kris. When I had the short stint with flyering for Dominoes, I learned quickly that I had to apply sunscreen every hour on the dot, otherwise I ended up with ridiculously terrible sunburn and blistering. It doesn't help that routine isn't something I have a lot of success starting due to the ADHD, but on the job at least, with it being a very immediate concern, I was able to do so by the 3rd day or so.

Speaking of the Vitiligo though, I think it's a small part of why people just can't recognize me in old pictures.

These are me when I was in my early and mid teens. The pictures are a little washed out, but for anyone who's seen more recent pictures of me can attest to how much lighter I am now days.

People who know me regularly respond to seeing these pictures with "When did you stop being South Asian" and "Were you a misplaced Filipino child?". In reality I'm simply Irish/Cherokee and have lost much of my skin tone, but not the NA physical features.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #72 on: 06 Oct 2013, 02:04 »

stereotypes exist for a reason,

Indeed; as any form of generalisation, they make it easier than having to deal with 8 billion people individually at all times.  At the same time, it is necessary to take care that individuals are not lost in the generalisation or stereotype - that's what leads to all the various bad "-isms"; while I wouldn't compare Fedora-ism with, say, sexism in harmfulness - it is a product of a similar thought process.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #73 on: 06 Oct 2013, 02:29 »

"You don't like fedoras? What is wrong with you?"

I don't think fedora-hate is a thing here. Akubra makes a couple of ranges that are lighter and more car-friendly than their traditional heavier, push-your-horse-through-the-bush hats. You only have to see all the older men with deep scars and obvious skin-grafts on their faces and scalps to see why everyone should be wearing a hat when they are out of doors. Having chunks of your nose and ears cut away is not a good look either. I don't wear an Akubra, but I am happy to wear the traditional douli or carry a parasol, doing either of which would require a very secure Western man. Or a cricket fan:

The Australian military slouch hat is truly iconic, dating back to the Victorian Mounted Rifles raised in 1880's, and later to fight in the Boer War, even before our nation was founded. The basic hat is very practical, but the turned-up brim is arguably a little affected unless you regularly carry a rifle in the "slope arms" position.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Metope

« Reply #74 on: 06 Oct 2013, 02:37 »

Well, if we're talking purely style-wise it's less about the hat itself and more like this:

But oh well, people can wear whatever they want to. I also found this, which is pretty funny, although personally I'd switch the 'hipster' label with something else because I don't think I've ever seen a hipster wearing a fedora, and also hipsters are known for being pretty obsessive about the way they appear so body odor isn't really a thing either. Anyway,

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #75 on: 06 Oct 2013, 03:36 »

stereotypes exist for a reason,

Indeed; as any form of generalisation, they make it easier than having to deal with 8 billion people individually at all times.  At the same time, it is necessary to take care that individuals are not lost in the generalisation or stereotype - that's what leads to all the various bad "-isms"; while I wouldn't compare Fedora-ism with, say, sexism in harmfulness - it is a product of a similar thought process.

Thank you. I've been trying to explain that to my roommates ever since I moved in here.

As to fedoras: Obviously, I have one (you've seen the picture). I bought it when I had organized a meet-up with people from another forum (to be precise, a Team Fortress forum, hence the hats) and I've been wearing it sometimes. Especially on bad hair days. Or when I can't be bothered. Or when I'm wearing blue or things that match with blue.

I honestly don't give an honest damn about the "good guy" thing - I've never heard of it before, and I really doubt that I ever will again. And as a side note, I find it hilarious that most of this forum boasts itself with being accepting towards people just to find a thread where people are judged upon their fashion.

Just my 0.02c. I'm outta here.

edit: This is not meant to be directed towards all of you who have posted here, but I'm sure the relevant people will know who its addressed to.

Metope

« Reply #76 on: 06 Oct 2013, 03:47 »

I honestly don't give an honest damn about the "good guy" thing - I've never heard of it before, and I really doubt that I ever will again. And as a side note, I find it hilarious that most of this forum boasts itself with being accepting towards people just to find a thread where people are judged upon their fashion.

I also find it hilarious that a forum that boasts about being open minded and accepting will just brush off an actual problematic issue that has exited for a while because they 'have never heard it before', but that's just me. Also what Paul said about stereotypes/generalisation is what I was trying to say as well, I just couldn't find a good way to say it.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #77 on: 06 Oct 2013, 04:06 »

The only thing I regularly put on my head is a bike helmet. I might wear a hat under it (a special under-helmet thing by Vaude; looks ridiculous, but well, it's under the helmet) but only on cold winter days.

I don't think the form of my face would be good for stylish hat wearing.

(slightly off topic random thought: we Germans have many words for hats. ”Hüte” (singular: ”Hut”) are only these things which have a shape and are worn mostly for reasons of style. ”Mützen” are soft things worn to keep you warm. And then there are words with more fuzzy meanings, like ”Kappen”.)
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #78 on: 06 Oct 2013, 04:17 »

I also find it hilarious that a forum that boasts about being open minded and accepting will just brush off an actual problematic issue that has exited for a while because they 'have never heard it before', but that's just me. Also what Paul said about stereotypes/generalisation is what I was trying to say as well, I just couldn't find a good way to say it.

I dismissed it because it was Jace who first raised it and I brush off most of what he says.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #79 on: 06 Oct 2013, 04:35 »

Hey, guys. Giraffe hat.

His name is Giraffey.
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2022, 12:54 by Welu »

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #80 on: 06 Oct 2013, 04:44 »

I honestly don't give an honest damn about the "good guy" thing - I've never heard of it before, and I really doubt that I ever will again.

I also find it hilarious that a forum that boasts about being open minded and accepting will just brush off an actual problematic issue that has exited for a while because they 'have never heard it before', but that's just me.

I assumed that "the 'good guy' thing" was shorthand for "the alleged connection between fedoras and being the bad kind of good guy that apparently only tumblr-addicts know or care about" :P

Also, you should wear a turban

I can vouch for their occasional excellence
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Metope

« Reply #81 on: 06 Oct 2013, 06:54 »

That's exactly the thing though, where does 'alleged' and 'tumblr-addict' come from? Oh well never mind, I need to go write an essay anyway. Before that, here's a selection of hats I've worn and owned in the past couple years, spoiler tag because there are so friggin many and I don't want to clog up the page:
(click to show/hide)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #82 on: 06 Oct 2013, 07:02 »

The Australian military slouch hat is truly iconic, dating back to the Victorian Mounted Rifles raised in 1880's, and later to fight in the Boer War, even before our nation was founded. The basic hat is very practical, but the turned-up brim is arguably a little affected unless you regularly carry a rifle in the "slope arms" position.

Very true, the U.S. military in particular does next to nothing with the "shoulder arms" position (on either side of the body, though if used right shoulder, arms is the more common position) I still wear mine with an Aussie military band I got from a buddy and the brim up just because I think it looks good. I wish I could get one with the turned up brim's clasp reversed actually, because I could then have a purpose for it. I shoot with my right hand and right eye, so being able to turn up my right brim would pull it out of the way a little more and potentially give my a more effective shooting position.

Metope I think people are brushing your "issue" off because it's a ridiculous stereotype in the extreme at the very best.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #83 on: 06 Oct 2013, 07:07 »

"You don't like fedoras? What is wrong with you?"

[...]
I own an Indy hat, albeit in a different colour! Copyrighted to Lucas Arts, naturally ...
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #84 on: 06 Oct 2013, 07:34 »

Metope I think people are brushing your "issue" off because it's a ridiculous stereotype in the extreme at the very best.
The article Metope linked previously does a decent job of addressing how the increased prominence of girls in geek culture has caused the bad attitudes associated with "Men's Rights Activists" to flare up, to the point that they show up in force every time the topic of feminism is brought up. This video has a lot of relevant information about it as well. The "issue" is actually what's at the root of the widespread mistreatment of women (and every other non-straight white male minority) in online communities and not something that tumblr just made up for the lulz.

The fedora is just an innocent victim of the fashion sense of one demographic's unfortunate cultural outlook.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #85 on: 06 Oct 2013, 07:35 »

Oh I was fully aware of the men's rights issue, I'd just never heard about the fedora aspect.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #86 on: 06 Oct 2013, 07:51 »

The issue is definitely an important one, but it's not doing anyone any good to say that "the guys that do this often wear fedoras, therefore fedoras = this".

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #87 on: 06 Oct 2013, 07:58 »

The article Metope linked previously does a decent job of addressing how the increased prominence of girls in geek culture has caused the bad attitudes associated with "Men's Rights Activists" to flare up, to the point that they show up in force every time the topic of feminism is brought up. This video has a lot of relevant information about it as well. The "issue" is actually what's at the root of the widespread mistreatment of women (and every other non-straight white male minority) in online communities and not something that tumblr just made up for the lulz.

The fedora is just an innocent victim of the fashion sense of one demographic's unfortunate cultural outlook.

And that's not the issue we're talking about here. That IS an issue and a very valid one. The issue at hand is that "oh if you wear a fedora you hate wimminz" is about the most ridiuclous thing I've ever heard, and I goddamn watch CSPAN.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #88 on: 06 Oct 2013, 08:37 »

And that's not the issue we're talking about here. That IS an issue and a very valid one. The issue at hand is that "oh if you wear a fedora you hate wimminz" is about the most ridiuclous thing I've ever heard, and I goddamn watch CSPAN.
I'm pretty sure that was issue that Metope was getting at when she was talking about "an actual problematic issue that has exi(s)ted for a while", but I'll let her speak for herself if she chooses to elaborate on that.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Metope

« Reply #89 on: 06 Oct 2013, 08:40 »

We're not trying to ban people from wearing fedoras (at least I'm not), just explain why some people don't like them. Like that quote in my first post about this says, it's okay to not agree with and ignore the connotations, but at least they explain why some people react the way they do.

I've said a variation of this in several posts in this very thread, I thought what I was trying to get across was pretty loud and clear by now. I mean, it's okay to not agree with and ignore the connotations, but it's also okay to say 'I don't like fedoras because of these connotations.' Nobody ever said 'everyone who wears a fedora is a Nice Guy or a woman hater.', and it's pretty weird to me to completely deny the existence of the connotations at all when they clearly exist which some people have said they do. Ignoring and disagreeing is one thing, denying its existence is another.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #90 on: 06 Oct 2013, 08:43 »

Tangent: we all come from different cultural circles. A fedora here would not have the same association as is apparently the case in the USA, except with the part of the population that is both fluent in English and familiar with this particular culture we are talking about. I.e., a VERY VERY fractional group. (Anecdotal evidence: I dareclaim none of the Germans on this forum have ever heard of the connection, which probably means noone they know has mentioned it).
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #91 on: 06 Oct 2013, 08:54 »

I think the fedoras = sexist nice guys is largely an American thing, but it's a thing that's been around for years. It is ridiculous, but it's a stereotype that has real origins and is not a made up thing. I've known guys who fall into this stereotype and just as many who don't, but it's still a thing. Just like all nice males are not Nice Guys, not all dudes who wear fedoras are assholes. I don't think all guys who wear tight pants are assholes because of Hipsters, but some people automatically judge that way. Should we? No. But should it just be written off because you've never heard of it? No.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #92 on: 06 Oct 2013, 08:55 »

I don't think it's even an American thing to be perfectly honest. I have /never/ heard of this till right now.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #93 on: 06 Oct 2013, 08:59 »

Well, do you routinely wear a fedora or know a lot of dudes who do? I'm not saying it's everywhere, it's definitely in pockets, but I think it originated in this country.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #94 on: 06 Oct 2013, 09:08 »

I used to wear fedoras fairly regularly, as mentioned they were classic fedoras, not a trilby. I know plenty of dudes who where or wore one or both of those styles of hat, and plenty of girls who do or did as well. (They were popular in the local alt scene while I was in high school, which is why the rude boys/skins switched to driving caps) and I can't say, even with the stupid amount of time I spent/spend online I have ever encountered this before, even symptoms of it. Maybe it's a generational gap thing I missed while I was in the Marines?

I will say I know I'm not a nice guy or a "Nice Guy". I'm a raging, arrogant asshole no matter what hat I'm wearing.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #95 on: 06 Oct 2013, 09:10 »

The key thing to remember is that it's still a stereotype. So even if it's true in some cases, and even if some people make that connotation, does not mean they are justified in doing so. They have the right to do so, of course, but stereotypes should generally not be defended.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #96 on: 06 Oct 2013, 11:11 »

(Anecdotal evidence: I dareclaim none of the Germans on this forum have ever heard of the connection, which probably means noone they know has mentioned it).
Sorry to disappoint you there, but I have had heard of that long before this thread was made. It comes with browsing 4chan (and /b/ in particular) regularly.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #97 on: 06 Oct 2013, 13:13 »

If any of you have seen that Pic of me, this is the type of hat I wear on a regular basis.

http://www.drizabone.com.au/store/product/topender-hat-brown-s/
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #98 on: 06 Oct 2013, 14:24 »

Personally I like wearing the most ridiculous hats I can find because sometimes it's fun to wear weird atrocities on your head! Especially those weird ass fascinator things you see in department stores and during Royal Weddings.

YES. Fascinators are amazing <3
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #99 on: 06 Oct 2013, 14:34 »

If any of you have seen that Pic of me, this is the type of hat I wear on a regular basis.
http://www.drizabone.com.au/store/product/topender-hat-brown-s/
A very practical hat. For non-Australians, the "Top End" is far northern tropical Australia where it is very hot and very wet, often at the same time.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up