THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 16:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So, what's on Dales continuing training session for this week?

MOCKachinos
- 7 (10.4%)
Chocolate Lattes
- 1 (1.5%)
Cappuchino of Doom
- 6 (9%)
THE SECRET MENU!!!
- 19 (28.4%)
Sword wielding Practice
- 13 (19.4%)
Spathe Ham
- 4 (6%)
Butts!!
- 11 (16.4%)
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
- 6 (9%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2549-2553 (7 October - 11 October, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 29058 times)

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

you guys forget about how creepy the person who discovered that it's possible to get milk from a cow must have been. Especially when a large portion of the people used to be lactose intolerant.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

Why does Dora wear ear plugs? Eventually I realized that that was not what Tai meant.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

Quote from somewhere or other:  "The guy who ate the first oyster must have been SOME hungry."
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

you guys forget about how creepy the person who discovered that it's possible to get milk from a cow must have been. Especially when a large portion of the people used to be lactose intolerant.
Creepy? Why? Humans used to live in close proximity to cows, sheep, goats, pigs etc. Anyone who observed a calf suckling from a cow would have noticed that it is exactly the same process as a human baby suckling from its mother.

Jonathan Swift supposedly wrote: "He was a bold man that first ate an oyster", but archeological evidence from middens and so on demonstrates that our ancestors ate all sorts of improbable things. The seasonal hatching of the Bogong Moth was a bonanza for Native Australians, for example, but its really no different from eating prawns. Potential starvation is a powerful spur to experimentation.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Anyone who's ever supervised a really young human can tell you they will put anything that will fit into their mouths. How we survived as a species is a perpetual mystery.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Oh, it's absolutely fascinating - I imagine it had to have been a series of accidents or the laziest people on earth who figured out cheese.

"What IS that?"
"Oh man, that milk has gone BAD."
"Throw it in a bucket with those beef scraps and we'll toss it later."
*days pass*
"You haven't thrown that out yet?  It's solidifying!"
"Look, just pour the liquid down that drain and I'll take care of it later."
*weeks pass*
"Dude, for real?!?  That crap is still in the bucket!"
"Fuck it, go give it to Bob.  He'll eat anything."

And thus, cheese was born.

And I'm not arguing the yummy part, either, cheese is AMAZING.  But, if you take a step back and look at it, sometimes between "reasonable starting material" and "tasty finished product" there are several stages of "what the FUCK?!?"

No kidding. But then, a lot of what we now know to be amazing is, bluntly, hella freaky on the face of it. I mean who was the first guy to pull up a lobster and, instead of freaking out at all the spines and claws and waving antennae, said "you know what, I'm gonna eat that."

Slaves. Seriously. Lobster was considered a nasty thing fit only for the poor, indentured servants and slaves. So one of the more popular and more expensive foods in the world (IT'S A GIANT SEA BUG! CRABS ARE JUST HUGE SPIDERS WITH ARMOR) started at as food fit only for the lowest of the low. Welcome to humanity. Check any concept of sense at the door.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Tulpa

• Balloon animal serial killer

Oh, it's absolutely fascinating - I imagine it had to have been a series of accidents or the laziest people on earth who figured out cheese.

"What IS that?"
*days pass*
*weeks pass*

And I'm not arguing the yummy part, either, cheese is AMAZING.  But, if you take a step back and look at it, sometimes between "reasonable starting material" and "tasty finished product" there are several stages of "what the FUCK?!?"

No kidding. But then, a lot of what we now know to be amazing is, bluntly, hella freaky on the face of it. I mean who was the first guy to pull up a lobster and, instead of freaking out at all the spines and claws and waving antennae, said "you know what, I'm gonna eat that."

Slaves. Seriously. Lobster was considered a nasty thing fit only for the poor, indentured servants and slaves. So one of the more popular and more expensive foods in the world (IT'S A GIANT SEA BUG! CRABS ARE JUST HUGE SPIDERS WITH ARMOR) started at as food fit only for the lowest of the low. Welcome to humanity. Check any concept of sense at the door.

XKCD recently did a strip on lobster.

On an unrelated note, I never get ear cheese, but I do get a waxy build up that would become ear cheese if I didn't clean it every couple days. Mostly just skin oil and such. No smell whatsoever.

westrim

XKCD recently did a strip on lobster.

COMIC!

On an unrelated note, I never get ear cheese, but I do get a waxy build up that would become ear cheese if I didn't clean it every couple days. Mostly just skin oil and such. No smell whatsoever.
Anti quote tunnel!

I found that comic quite unreasonable back when I read it, and my opinion hasn't changed. There are lots of people in THIS universe that are okay with eating spiders, most of them just aren't lucky enough to live in the northeast US. The only good reason not to is so they can live and continue to prey on pests. What plants, animals, and byproducts thereof are considered edible is a social construct. We're omnivores, baby- just about everything can be consumed or rendered safe to consume.

What your talking about is not and will not become ear cheese (though it may end up an addition to said cheese). It's waxy because it IS wax, and far from being food for bacteria, it is actually antimicrobial to a degree.
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2013, 21:15 by Westrim »

Platypodes

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Pancakes!

"What IS that?"
*days pass*
*weeks pass*

That dialogue cracked me up!

The one I've always wondered about is olives. Who the heck bit into an olive straight from the tree and said, "Ecch!  Ptooie! Give me something to take this horrible taste out of my mouth!! ...Hey, let's add a shit-ton of salt to these, wait a few weeks, and then eat 'em!"?  (Assuming salt-cured came first.  If they started by saying "Let's soak these in lye and then eat 'em," I'd really wonder what was up with those dudes.)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Maybe they were politicians and lyeing came naturally to them.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

"What IS that?"
*days pass*
*weeks pass*

Given my general voraciousness towards food, both "Bob" and the lobster guy might have been either my descendants or pre-incarnations.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Actually, as I understand it cheese making was discovered in the Middle East. Travellers on long trips would take with them drinks in water skins, often made of animal stomachs. Some people discovered that, you put goats milk or what have you in one of those bags, travel all day in the heat with the agitation and rennet in the stomach skin bag and instead of milk you had cottage cheese. From there they refined the procedure and spread it.

KOK

Troub from  Wizard of Id once sang a song about how the bravest man in history was the first to eat an oyster raw.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Poll results for this week

So, what's on Dales continuing training session for this week?

MOCKachinos ................. 7 (10.4%)

Chocolate Lattes ............. 1 (1.5%)

Cappuchino of Doom ....... 6 (9%)

THE SECRET MENU!!! ...... 19 (28.4%)

Sword wielding Practice ... 13 (19.4%)

Spathe Ham ................... 4 (6%)

Butts!! .......................... 11 (16.4%)

Purple Monkey Dishwasher 6 (9%)

Voting is locked - Polls over for the week.  And the Secret Menu remains SECRET    :police:     ;D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

I think it was George Carlin who wondered on stage about the first person to eat a tomato. "They're all larval inside!"
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Toe

• Obscure cultural reference

I will never understand why some people think stretching their ears out is a good idea.

I mean, I certainly understand the pleasure of stretching out some of your body's other holes to fit larger and larger objects in them, but your ears?!

westrim

I will never understand why some people think stretching their ears out is a good idea.

I mean, I certainly understand the pleasure of stretching out some of your body's other holes to fit larger and larger objects in them, but your ears?!
We already know Dora is into ear fucking.

I REGRET NOTHING!  :mrgreen:

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.

Apropos of nothing, anyone else think of Tai when they see Liz Ricarro from IGPX?

The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Not really? But then I've never seen "IGPX" and from the pictures supplied the only physical resemblances are skin tone and hair colour.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

I am not familiar with the show in question, but the pictures seem to imply a certain quirkiness, a trait similarly present in Tai.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

KOK

Not really? But then I've never seen "IGPX" and from the pictures supplied the only physical resemblances are skin tone and hair colour.

The ear piercings are similar.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

The eye-colour isn't.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

The ear piercings are similar.

Not really? Tai wears plugs AFAIK and those look like fairly standard stud posts to me, positioned in pretty much the exact same way millions of women have for decades.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

KOK

Plugs and studs are different?

ackblom12

Plugs:

Studs:

KOK

OK, but how can you tell the difference in a comic? Both are just a colored circle on the earlobe.
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2013, 05:05 by KOK »

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Size, distortion of the earlobe shape (or lack thereof), shading, alternate views showing shape, that sort of thing.
Ms. Ricarro's jewellery is rather small for a plug, particularly one adorned with a stone but is fairly standard for a polished turquoise stud. Speaking of, they are also shaded as hemispheres—another common feature in turquoise jewellery—which is confirmed in the other views supplied.
Basically, a bunch of stuff vastly skews the probability in one direction even before you account for personal and/or cultural bias on the part of the author.

ackblom12

Basically we're nerds for gettin' stabbed.

Tattoos and other body mods

Join us in the lower realms of the forum!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up