THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WiFi TV  (Read 2523 times)

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
WiFi TV
« on: 08 Oct 2013, 23:10 »

I just got a Roku box to plug into the TV as I investigate alternatives to the cable/satellite TV hamster wheel. There are other similar devices from Google, Samsung, etc., and some TVs with built-in WiFi, that all hook into your home network and offer a variety of options for getting video to the TV.

So far, I'm only playing around with the free channels while I get the feel for how all this is working. Netflix is one of the main options for a wider variety of programming, and something I'll probably get at some point. There's also a couple of free apps that you can install on the computer to use it as a video/music server to the TV for any files you have on the HD, and I'm having fun with those. The cool thing is that they will convert most formats on the fly to stream to these boxes (or even the XBox 360 or Playstation 3 if you want to try them out before getting the WiFi box itself).

None of these are a complete solution yet, but they seem to be gaining momentum fast enough where I could see a fairly quick transition away from the standard television cable/satellite/broadcasting model in the semi-near future.

I'm curious if other people have played with these boxes, and if you have any advice or experiences to share.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
Re: WiFi TV
« Reply #1 on: 09 Oct 2013, 05:57 »

I'm a bit sceptical about connected TV at the moment.

Especially since most of them send your viewing habits to the relevant parties that might be interested in that information, namely television broadcasting firms.

Besides, I don't watch TV anyway.

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
Re: WiFi TV
« Reply #2 on: 09 Oct 2013, 10:14 »

The the way I see it, connected set-top boxes like that aren't for your average user, they're for cord-cutters.
Pages: [1]   Go Up