THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 20:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So what kind of goodies are we getting from Jeph THIS week?

More Faye Is BOSS shenanigans!
- 1 (1.5%)
Next: Tai tries to climb Emily!
- 2 (2.9%)
Dale notices that Penelope looks like Pizza Girl...
- 7 (10.3%)
Marten time!
- 2 (2.9%)
Claire time!
- 4 (5.9%)
"Next, on a very special Questionable Content, Faye learns her mother has cancer..."
- 1 (1.5%)
...or something like that.
- 1 (1.5%)
Marigold and Dale's DATE! (You thought we forgot, hmmm?)
- 32 (47.1%)
Hannelore and Emily have a weird-off!
- 6 (8.8%)
Waffles! Spathe Ham! Banana Smoothie! Ear Cheese!?!?!
- 3 (4.4%)
Whatever it is, it'll be FAN-tastic!
- 1 (1.5%)
...and COMPLETELY out of left field.
- 8 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2554-2558 (14 October - 18 October, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 41938 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Back in the saddle.  :police:

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

You didn't post the video for the Aerosmith song?

I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

I wonder if Jeph is setting up Dale & Marigold's Anime Night for his big annual Thanksgiving plot twist:popcorn:
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

GarandMarine

• Awakened

"They ate Pocky and watched a shit ton of Magical Love Gentlemen and everything was pretty cool"

TWIST!

Also there are wild turkeys here. It kinda blows my mind. I only know turkeys as farm yard animals that like to try to fight me, and dinner.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

"They ate Pocky and watched a shit ton of Magical Love Gentlemen and everything was pretty cool"

TWIST!

Also there are wild turkeys here. It kinda blows my mind. I only know turkeys as farm yard animals that like to try to fight me, and dinner.
Wild turkeys can make a pretty good dinner, too.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

westrim

Can you guys put the images in spoilers please?

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

gobble gobble gobble
slurp slurp slurp

Tulpa

• Balloon animal serial killer

I want to get drunk on some wild turkey and fight a farm turkey.  :mrgreen:

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

gobble gobble gobble
slurp slurp slurp
Internet search results may vary ("SAFESEARCH ON! SAFESEARCH ON!")  :evil:

In any case, both wild turkeys are delicious wild turkeys.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

It's like Jeph WANTS me to ship.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.

looks like Steve and Cosette might be on the rocks...

NotAwesomeAnymore

• Furry furrier

Aw I love this comic. It reminds me of the other sleeping comic around the time of the breakup arc. Can anyone find it?

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku

My boyfriend and I sleep like Faye and Angus. :) Then again, a lot of the strips with the two of them are like us. I actually started reading because of this one.

But there's a pressing question: Why isn't Marten properly utilizing a blanket?? I mean, we can only see part of him, so it's possible he has one draped over him below the waist, but still. At least with Steve and Cosette, there's the possibility that one of them just generates too much heat to bother, but what's Marten's excuse? He's a skinny white boy. :mrgreen:

And I agree TRVA123--the way he's looking at her with her snoring isn't a look of thinking she's cute but also a bit annoying because of snoring. I can understand not cuddling because it can generate a lot of sweat and whatnot. But he looks kind of uncomfortable, and maybe Cosette is a bit too much so...

And this one, NotAwesomeAnymore? Link.
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

westrim

It's like Jeph WANTS me to ship.
No, he wants to ship, and for us to support those ships and none that he has not explicitly launched.

What is with all of them and their blankets? Not one has them in the usual position around the shoulders, and they don't really indicate that it's hot out or anything.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Didn't we have the sleeping discussion before?

I tried spooning with both of the girlfriends I had (not at the same time :roll:). D radiates just too much body heat for it to be comfortable. She is like a portable heater.

Or like, a cat.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Heheheheh.

I think out of all the couples depicted (Sorry Marten friend) Steve and Cosette are actually the most intimate. You have be in a serious relationship before you can sprawl out and snore like an alcoholic freight train in front of your significant other.

I personally am a big fan of the snuggling but as a proud desert rat I have been gifted with a small portion of Sunna's radiance making me maintain a slightly... warm... internal body temperature compared to you 97 degrees types. (It's like a degree, tops, but I have been told be successive sleeping companions that I am better then a space heater, or worse depending on season and local weather)

All the Turkey talk makes me think of Bill Engvall's bit about turkey hunting with his dad as a kid. "We didn't see a single turkey the entire time, all we saw was wild turkey... still a pretty good hunt!"

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

I think he is wondering about the levitating arm.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I know Marten is canonically thin, but his torso looks strange. And is this the comic's first flash of armpit hair?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

If Cosette hasn't been drinking or caught a cold or something like that, Steve ought to tell her to see a doctor.

Poor sleep quality costs.  Youth can compensate, but doesn't last forever, and anyway, the strength of youth could be better spent.  When I turned thirty, it was like someone turned off a switch in my head ...
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

There's been armpit hair before, but my archive-fu is not strong enough to find things like THAT.

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

My boyfriend and I also sleep like Angus and Faye almost regardless of the temperature outside (except when it is really, really hot). We sometimes turn around simultaneously throughout the night. I think that is the most comfortable sleeping position of all and I miss it now that my boyfriend and I are doing long-distance.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

If Cosette hasn't been drinking or caught a cold or something like that, Steve ought to tell her to see a doctor.

Poor sleep quality costs.  Youth can compensate, but doesn't last forever, and anyway, the strength of youth could be better spent.  When I turned thirty, it was like someone turned off a switch in my head ...

This.  I know have to use a machine and while the sleep is better, it is awkward with a facehugger.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

My partner and I usually start sleeping like Faye and Angus and move on to Cosette and Steve during the night. I don't think their position or the look is them being on the rocks, just the relationship is long past the honeymoon period. Although that itself can cause strain on a relationship but I think Steve's look could be him thinking, "Should I roll her on to her side or would she fall out?"

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

"If she fell out it'd stop the snoring. Win win?"

But yeah, when I am with Sarah overnight, we end up like Steve and Cosette minus the snoring (although with me awake because I just don't fall asleep easily).

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor

Callback strip, kinda.

Thats why I think Steve and Cosette might be on the rocks. Todays strip is an obvious callback to this one, and the foreshadowing is a bit thick.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Something to consider: Jeph might be compiling strips for Volume 4 already, so he's going through the archives.
Just another Joe like 46

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Something to consider: Jeph might be compiling strips for Volume 4 already, so he's going through the archives.

Actually, I'm pretty sure he tweeted recently about writing the notes for the next lot of strips.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken

Can someone link to the other sleeping comic. I can't find it.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Someone just did, unless you didn't mean that one. In which case I don't know which one you mean.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Two have been linked so far, and there's also the sequence of dreams:

1168 to 1171
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

PthariensFlame

• Larger than most fish
  • I ♥ van Laarhoven lenticuloid families!
    • Chirex Formens/Chirex Ialtens

That sequence ends with my favorite line from the entirety of QC:  "My name is DJ Phalliz and I'm here to say/kill your friends, kill them with a knife."
Quote from: Anne McCaffrey
Honor those the dragons heed
In thought and favor, word and deed.
Worlds are lost or worlds are saved
From those dangers dragon-braved.

jesslc

• Furry furrier

Thats why I think Steve and Cosette might be on the rocks. Todays strip is an obvious callback to this one, and the foreshadowing is a bit thick.

For all we know Steve and Cosette might normally sleep like this (possibly with less snoring). Personally I don't sleep well cuddled up to someone and would rather sleep apart but touching after a good night hug.

I wonder if Jeph is setting up Dale & Marigold's Anime Night for his big annual Thanksgiving plot twist:popcorn:

The return of May, perhaps... at a most inconvenient moment, of course. That could be fun  :-D

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

Todays comic reminded me of Pintsize spooning Marten after Dora and him broke up, which made me realize that I still don't like Marten being single.

Just as much as I don't like being single either. But then, I'm not working against that, either. So who am I to complain.

westrim

Regarding Steve and Cosette, many people seem to be forgetting the Law of Conservation of Detail. We likely wouldn't be shown a romantic couple sleeping in a nonromantic fashion juxtaposed with other romantic couples unless it meant something. What may happen in reality is irrelevant.

Todays comic reminded me of Pintsize spooning Marten after Dora and him broke up, which made me realize that I still don't like Marten being single.

Just as much as I don't like being single either. But then, I'm not working against that, either. So who am I to complain.
A lonely person.

marsman57

• Emoticontraindication

My wife and I sleep like Steve and Cosette except I'm Cosette and she is Steve.

But really, all I can think looking at this comic is the sadness that no one in the QC universe has anything bigger than a double bed. Queen is a minimal if you are regularly sharing your bed imho.

Edit: As an aside, Marten's bed has shrank a lot since 1850.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

I think he is wondering about the levitating arm.

"There is no Cosette, there is only Zuul!"

Dawww, Tai and Dora are cute.

In your dreams Pintsize, in your dreams.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

Regarding Steve and Cosette, many people seem to be forgetting the Law of Conservation of Detail. We likely wouldn't be shown a romantic couple sleeping in a nonromantic fashion juxtaposed with other romantic couples unless it meant something. What may happen in reality is irrelevant.

Right. And Jeph would never waste an entire strip on Steve eating breakfast, either. That surely must have meant something major was brewing.  :-P
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Ooooh! I know that one! Jeph was hungry! *is an ace detective and literary analyst*

westrim

Right. And Jeph would never waste an entire strip on Steve eating breakfast, either. That surely must have meant something major was brewing.  :-P
As his commentary that day notes, people wanted to know what Steve was up to. So he showed us.

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken

I was thinking of 1328 (the one jwhouk linked). Thanks!

HeavyP

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Woo!

I think some folks might be overthinking the comic - sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.  Jeph is like a master chef - he crafts storylines that are intricate and full of flavors and nuance, and all of them subtly link together like courses in a tasting meal.  Sometimes you need a little palate cleanser between courses, and sometimes the chef just needs an off day.  Today we got D'aww, d'aww, lolCosettelol, and lolPintsizelol.  It's a little funny, a little cute, and I don't really think it's foreshadowing of any sort.  Also, Steve doesn't really have any kind of resigned or annoyed expression, he just has the "....really?" expression of someone who was woken up by their partner snoring like a freight train (all of my girlfriends have worn that expression at some point or another).

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Edit: As an aside, Marten's bed has shrank a lot since 1850.
I also noticed that. Maybe he traded the bed for two persons he had with Dora - and also still, with Padma, I think -  for this smaller one, since he wasn't anticipating a new relationship.

kyraeus

• Not quite a lurker

Gotta admit, this is an interesting break between lines, but yeah..

Pulling back a bit and looking at the larger picture, I gotta say the bit with everyone EXCEPT Marten being with someone is getting kinda depressing.  I know he doesn't often really show it in panel (well, except today, and that last panel would be enough to depress ANYone ;p), but it really sucks to have watched him go through two girls now with no success (both having rather SERIOUS issues, both finding more successful relationships.. I mean, what are the odds?).  That's not to even MENTION the story of why he moved out there in the first place and THAT whole emotional mess.

Also, BOTH of the girls survived breaking up with him?  No Mom action? 

Basically the takeaway is that every relationship he gets himself into is set up for failure from the get-go, that all the women he gets involved with either have issues, or are bad circumstances (Padma), or just plain don't work out for him.  Okay, I get it.  That's been pounded home for that character.  Repeatedly.  Which sucks, because he's basically a really good dude.

Yeah. sounds rantier than I wanted.  All in all, I love the comic, have for years now.   Just kinda blows to, as the saying goes, see 'good guys finish last' while some of the characters who have done some relatively shitty things end up with dreams/wishes fulfilled and happy relationships.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor

But that is just how relationships are. Most romantic relationships that people have don't work out. This is more of a slice of life story than a "lets get Marten with that special girl!" story.

Martens relationship with Dora was quite successful for a long time, cracks don't often show until after the honeymoon period is over.

I think Marten has had much better relationship luck than... say Hanners? or Marten's mom? or Marigold? or Sven?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Marten does have some personal growth to do. The ranks of people in happy relationships are not filled with manatees on codeine.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Steve's had more breakups than Marten.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up