THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 01 May 2024, 04:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So what kind of goodies are we getting from Jeph THIS week?

More Faye Is BOSS shenanigans!
- 1 (1.5%)
Next: Tai tries to climb Emily!
- 2 (2.9%)
Dale notices that Penelope looks like Pizza Girl...
- 7 (10.3%)
Marten time!
- 2 (2.9%)
Claire time!
- 4 (5.9%)
"Next, on a very special Questionable Content, Faye learns her mother has cancer..."
- 1 (1.5%)
...or something like that.
- 1 (1.5%)
Marigold and Dale's DATE! (You thought we forgot, hmmm?)
- 32 (47.1%)
Hannelore and Emily have a weird-off!
- 6 (8.8%)
Waffles! Spathe Ham! Banana Smoothie! Ear Cheese!?!?!
- 3 (4.4%)
Whatever it is, it'll be FAN-tastic!
- 1 (1.5%)
...and COMPLETELY out of left field.
- 8 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2554-2558 (14 October - 18 October, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 42077 times)

Martok

• Not quite a lurker

"Y-you mean you DON'T want to wear any clothes?!" 

Bwahaha!!  That's a classic Hanners response if I ever saw one.  :lol: 

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." --Pascal

Toe

• Obscure cultural reference

Kinda reminds me of that commercial: "Uhhh.... khakis?"

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

Excusing sexism in such a manner is kinda fucked up.
... and for my next trick, I'll excuse the humidity of the Pacific.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

That's not comparable.  We are aware of human nature; however, it is somewhat malleable, and we are trying to steer it towards what many of us feel would be an improvement.  The wetness of water is not susceptible to an analogous improvement.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

Sure it is:  It's called phase transitions.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Whilst I'm sure we can have an interesting scientific discussion on whether the adjective "wet" still applies to ice or steam (I posit that it does), you are being deliberately facetious in response to a serious concern that this forum is trying to deal with, and I'd advise against that particular approach both in general and right now in particular.

I like Hanners' headband. Also loved her first response - why on earth would she assume that Momo was leaking fluid?!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

It was funny to have Hannelore field the question but wouldn't it have been more logical to have asked Momo?

So Hanners' assumption there's something wrong with Momo is not only funny, but makes logical sense.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Overkillengine

• Furry furrier
  • Meh.

Excusing sexism in such a manner is kinda fucked up.

Huh, must have missed the memo about the next PC witch hunt.

So let me get this straight, what we are supposed to be outraged about is a silly and probably not serious statement about expected gendered behaviors when it comes to dating that potentially frame women in the role of sex object, but ignore that it also puts men in a stereotypical role of sex and beer obsessed simpletons.

Just wanted to know where I am supposed to aim the pitchfork to keep in lockstep with the rest of the hive mind.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

Uh-oh, here we go again...  :roll:

In a desperate but probably futile attempt to divert attention back to the comic, I'll just imagine the crude jokes that Pintsize would make about Momo leaking fluid.

:facepalm:
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Huh, must have missed the memo about the next PC witch hunt.

Not a witch hunt; I also hate the term PC, because it implies that something is done for effect rather than for real.  We are, in our tiny corner of the world, trying to improve some things that really do affect people in the larger outside world - do you think that belittling this effort is how you wish to be seen?  Oh, and the memo's here.  I accept that we have been less alert to this sort of thing than we should have been for a while, but the underlying policy has not changed - we are merely sharpening up our application of it.  The rules suggest that we should respect each other; this kind of thing erodes that respect (I plan to add some more explicit remarks about various forms of discrimination to the rules).

So let me get this straight, what we are supposed to be outraged about is a silly and probably not serious statement about expected gendered behaviors when it comes to dating that potentially frame women in the role of sex object, but ignore that it also puts men in a stereotypical role of sex and beer obsessed simpletons.

Not at all; I object to the beer part of that stereotype as well.  But I chose to address the more harmful stereotype first.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Overkillengine

• Furry furrier
  • Meh.

Are you sure one is more harmful than the other or are you making an assumption?

Plus there is more than a bit of hypocrisy in calling out one but not the other, regardless of the reason/criteria. Wrong is wrong.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

One cannot call out the whole world at once; we go step by step.  In particular, the fact that there is another issue in no way weakens the case against the one being picked up on - to suggest that comes over as a diversionary tactic.

Overkillengine

• Furry furrier
  • Meh.

I can understand the need to pick your battles given limited resources.

I'm just saying if one is bad so is the other, and that needs to not be ignored nor given de facto acceptance.

I've noticed a disturbing trend of people being MORE than willing to gang up on someone for any perceived slight in one category, but completely ignore the other.

That's not progress. It's regression.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

It's not just resources, but also focus; and indeed the need to try to avoid swamping what's meant to be a discussion about a comic.  I could just issue a warning, stating the reason, and cut off further discussion of the matter; but for better or worse, I choose not to do that.

for any perceived slight

The term "perceived slight" may suggest that it is not real (just as "politically correct" may imply insincerity).  If someone tells you that for them the slight is real, you need to be prepared to accept that and try to understand it.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

If you're offended on behalf of yourself, speak up. That's ordinary insistence on good manners.
If you're offended on behalf of another, especially without checking to see whether that other is offended, that's PC and you oughta have better things to do with your time.

Marigold should borrow some sort of helmet, maybe from Hanners, for Anime Night. It'll match what Dale will have been unable to remove. Send the earwig out for extra jerky and pocky.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

If you're offended on behalf of another, especially without checking to see whether that other is offended, that's PC and you oughta have better things to do with your time.

So, you are saying that you believe that all forms of discriminatory and insulting speech should be allowed unless the targets themselves speak up.  That will not fly here, whatever you think about the matter.  In any case, women have spoken up about objectification.

Administrator Comment Enough already - if you wish to dispute the style of moderation here, there is a thread for it.

I could just issue a warning, stating the reason, and cut off further discussion of the matter; but for better or worse, I choose not to do that.

Well, when it starts to go too far, I get to change my mind, and at least divert the discussion to where it belongs...

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined

Speaking of Jerky, my lil brother came back from Cali and gave me an assortment of Jerky.
Buffalo Bob's 10 Piece Gourmet Exotic Jerky Assortment
(click to show/hide)

Warning - .............. You may wish to move to another planet.  :facepalm:
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Can you further objectify an actual object? Is that... possible?

I can't go down this mental path, thataway only lies madness.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Waffles?

So what kind of goodies are we getting from Jeph THIS week?

More Faye Is BOSS shenanigans!    1 (1.6%) <- Most of what this week was, actually.
Next: Tai tries to climb Emily!    2 (3.2%)
Dale notices that Penelope looks like Pizza Girl...    7 (11.3%)
Marten time!    2 (3.2%)
Claire time!    3 (4.8%)
"Next, on a very special Questionable Content, Faye learns her mother has cancer..."    0 (0%)
...or something like that.    1 (1.6%)
Marigold and Dale's DATE! (You thought we forgot, hmmm?)    30 (48.4%) <- Marigold didn't.
Hannelore and Emily have a weird-off!    5 (8.1%)
Waffles! Spathe Ham! Banana Smoothie! Ear Cheese!?!?!    3 (4.8%)
Whatever it is, it'll be FAN-tastic!    1 (1.6%)
...and COMPLETELY out of left field.    7 (11.3%)

Total Members Voted: 62
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Arizona. At first glance, it doesn't look nearly as bad as Australia; its desert areas has an abundance of vegetation (as opposed to the stereotype of deserts being barren) while its forested areas look outright inviting. Not bad at all right? Wrong. Let's start with the desert. Okay, you can easily die of sunstroke or frostbite (you heard right), as the desert is either really hot or really cold depending on the season. However, that's just for starters. Beside the climate, the desert is home to an abundance of species that could keep with Australian types; the obvious ones are the rattlesnakes, coyotes (which can travel in packs of dozens by the way), cougars, jaguars (yes, really), and spiders (anything from tarantulas to black widows to brown recluses), but there's also the likes of the peccary (think the Sonoran's take on a wild boar), tarantula hawk (talk about Names to Run Away From Really Fast) and gila monster (one of two known venomous lizards, so named for their temperament) to name a few. Alongside, the combination of abundant vegetation and dry air can easily cause massive wild fires that are near impossible to put out (no thanks to the limited water supply); even a blown out match is enough to ignite one (which has happened more than once). And that's not discounting the vegetation itself; while the plantsnote  aren't venomous like in Australia, they're lethal in their own myriad of ways. First, they can easily catch hold of loose clothing and effectively trap anyone against them (which means if you don't have a knife or easy-to-rip-or-takeoff clothing, then you're stuck, period); even a slight brush can often lead to ensnarement. Alongside that, said plants may or may not be home to one of the local animals listed above, as snakes, spiders and insects like to use them for shelter. • Large patches of a devious little cactus called the teddy-bear cholla litter the Sonoran Desert. From a distance they, they look as cute and fuzzy as the name implies, but get too near and you'll find that those fuzzy looking spines mean business. Entire segments of the plant will break away so it can cling to your leg like a gigantic cocklebur, making large areas completely impassable.
 ◦ And then there's the forest areas in northern Arizona, which nearly takes the trope Up to Eleven. You read about the climate above, right? Well, it can be just as hot or cold in the north, and water is just as limited; unless you're near a (man-made) lake, death by dehydration is just as likely to occur as in the Sonoran. And just like the aforementioned, the air tends to be very dry, which can easily cause forest fires (from so much as an excessively hot day). And finally, there's always the local wildlife, which pretty much includes everything listed above, only now with addition of bears alongside additional types of wildcats and arthropods. In short, if you want to go on a nature hike, best pack heavy firepower (preferably something in the rifle range) and lots and lots and lots of water.

I am proud my home state has such a large section on TV Trope's "Everything Trying to Kill You Page"
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

I'm just wondering what fluid Momo might be leaking.  Surely she doesn't use that amount of oil?  That would be very old-school engineering I would have thought.

Overkillengine

• Furry furrier
  • Meh.

Without knowing the precise details of her construction, it would be hard to say. While artistically at times the AI's have been portrayed as having body/joint seams (which leads to the assumption of a solid outer shell), their internals could be using some method of hydraulics to convey kinetic power; or even in a fashion similar synthetic blood for chemical power.

Edit: specifically the ones with a more humanoid chassis. The others such as Pintsize seem to more strongly imply basic mechanical actuation.
« Last Edit: 18 Oct 2013, 07:24 by Overkillengine »

Schmee

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I think the fluid referred to was the chibi-AnthroPC-oversized-anime-sweat-drop fluid, I remember a newspost about it once.
work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder 
make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better 
do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster 
raise your ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

westrim

*looks at awkward zone yawning above*

I... posit that ladies bosoms are rad?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Hannelore also grew up on a space station, which is 90% plumbing (or something to that effect). Her father has a great admiration for plumbers.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

I am proud my home state has such a large section on TV Trope's "Everything Trying to Kill You Page"

What they left out is that Arizona is one of the few deserts where it's not uncommon to die by drowning. When Arizona does get rain it's often enough to flash floods.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

(I moved a couple of posts to the thread about moderation.)

Legere-factus

• Not quite a lurker

I wonder if Momo's social etiquette programming will compel her to supervise this 'first date' as a companion AI or tactfully keep out of their hair as a friend.
(is it a first date? are we calling it that or a first friendship one-on-one meeting?!)   

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

Well, I don't know

Edit: Damn, post got cut off. Here's what I meant to post.

Well, I don't know. Marigold seems to consider it a very big deal. I don't know about Dale, but it could very well be possible that he doesn't. He stated that he wanted to be friends with her, that's all we were given.
« Last Edit: 18 Oct 2013, 09:07 by ankhtahr »
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.

I would just like to say that if Marigold ends up in a situation with Dale where she's not wearing anything, I am going to be extremely disappointed

...that May didn't get to stick around to see it. I mean, right off the bat she recognized the glory of those cans! And after being the one to push Dale into patching things up with Marigold, the poor A.I. doesn't even get a glimpse of them!

(You don't get to see that sort of thing in Robot Jail. It's all...think Furniture Porn but really vile and fetishistic.)
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor

I'm just wondering what fluid Momo might be leaking.  Surely she doesn't use that amount of oil?  That would be very old-school engineering I would have thought.
Maybe she's leaking that liquid used to generate a sweatdrop.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Furniture Porn
Chifforobe on armoire action?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.

Furniture Porn
Chifforobe on armoire action?

Oh, that's just the beginning. Lawn chair-on-lawn chair action, hot Malms from Sweden...
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Well, it would certainly make the date more interesting for both Dale and Marigold.

They could start a Nudist Colony.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

haikupoet

• Larger than most fish

Marigold: Here is what you wear: cleavagy tank top and fuzzy sweat pants. Sexy but relaxed and totally in character for you. That is all.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Or just wear what you're wearing now.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Quote from: Rose Sayer
Nature, Mr. Allnut, is what we were put on this Earth to rise above!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

So, you are saying that you believe that all forms of discriminatory and insulting speech should be allowed unless the targets themselves speak up.  That will not fly here, whatever you think about the matter.  In any case, women have spoken up about objectification.

Not what I'm saying at all.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

But when he objected to speech that insults someone, you said that he was offended on behalf of someone else, because surely one can't be offended by insulting speech if it doesn't offend them directly?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

I said nothing about pwhodges. I spoke in general terms about what I perceive as the difference between ordinary good manners and the insistence upon such, and PC (whose definition admittedly fluid). His "so you're saying" response, followed by something I did not say, was what flipped my switch.

Agree or disagree with me as you wish; it's your right and duty. But if you're going to dispute something I said, make sure it's something I said before ascribing it to me. Simple enough, no?

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

You said it right after his post, and it was somewhat applicable to his post. Maybe specify next time if you're not responding to anyone in particular.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ackblom12

I'm just saying, if the phrase 'too PC' ever comes to mind, you're probably wrong.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

You said it right after his post, and it was somewhat applicable to his post. Maybe specify next time if you're not responding to anyone in particular.

Between this thread and the moderation thread, the entire exchange is on record.

And I still say Marigold should find a matching helmet for Anime Night.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Hannelore probably has an entire collection and would be willing to lend Marigold one or two.

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Maybe this one?

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

westrim

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Are those head cannon in the side pieces?

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

That's not progress. It's regression.
Regression from what, exactly?

Every foot-soldier sees only their part of the battlefield. Every person has only so much energy and time, and needs to triage as much as any field hospital. To argue that it is not legitimate to fight the injustices you face each day, unless you can fight every single injustice ever, is simply an argument that one should not fight at all. When aimed at women, it's another version of "Shut up and stay in the kitchen."

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico

Regression from what, exactly?

Every foot-soldier sees only their part of the battlefield. Every person has only so much energy and time, and needs to triage as much as any field hospital. To argue that it is not legitimate to fight the injustices you face each day, unless you can fight every single injustice ever, is simply an argument that one should not fight at all. When aimed at women, it's another version of "Shut up and stay in the kitchen."

Agree on this.

The thing is, if it was brought up differently, there would have been a much different reaction.

If instead of "why is everyone upset with this, when this is also happening" which causes people to get angry because whether you mean to or not, you are dismissing what is bothering people in order to focus on something else that is offensive to you, it was brought up "not only is it offensive to x, its also offensive to y because" most people would be agreeing.

X Rights aren't a zero sum game. If someone is discussing offense to something, it doesn't make offensive comments towards other things irrelevant just because they haven't been brought up yet.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up