THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 22:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RECEIVER  (Read 3050 times)

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist
RECEIVER
« on: 18 Oct 2013, 06:52 »

I wanna introduce you guys to Receiver:
It was made in 7 days for a contest, and costs $5 on Steam. The graphics aren't exactly great, most of the physical objects are missing textures, and there are only 2 mobs in the game (amounts to flying tazer drone and stationary turret), but for those 2 mobs it has a detailed damage model, the game is procedurally generated and random each time you play, and it has the most detailed gun physics I've seen in a game.

In particular, instead of just press R to reload, you'd need to go through the steps to reload. Say you have an empty gun, a box magazine and a handful of bullets. You'd need to put the bullets into the magazine, put the magazine into the gun, and pull back the slide to chamber the first round. Sounds tedious, but it can lead to some real nail-biting situations.

Example from when I was playing yesterday, the game randomly gave me a Smith and Wesson Model 10 revolver. I was playing peekaboo with a sentry gun, trying to hit it in either the battery or the camera, and just as I got it taken down, I hear the beep of a flying drone zooming at my face. I'm frantically backing up and dodging while I'm opening the cylinder and hammering the extractor. 2 casings are stuck in the cylinder and WILL. NOT. EXTRACT. I went ahead and loaded the rest of the chambers, gave the cylinder a spin to give me a random chance to get one of the good chambers, point at the drone just a second to spare-

*click*

Yeah, I got killed, but it was a lot more visceral than if I'd have just hit R, watch my guy dance, then pull the trigger, knowing the weapon would fire. Something about actually going through the steps for reloading instead of pressing a key and having the gun reload itself is rewarding in a way that's tough to describe.

The way that the various rooms, enemies, and items are randomized also adds a challenge all its own. A few rooms in, you might find you have a Glock with 5 magazines full of spare ammo, or that you have a 1911 with one round in the chamber, and 5 flashlights. I'd almost describe it as a Roguelike FPS if it weren't for the fact that everyone who plays Roguelikes would hunt me for my pelt.

At any rate, I found it was surprisingly fun, and I like to share fun things.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
Re: RECEIVER
« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2013, 12:32 »

I fucking love Receiver, and I can't believe why more games aren't using their control method for first-person shooting. The fact that your crosshair isn't glued to the exact center of your visual field makes aiming much more immersive, since that's a much better approximation of holding it in your hands, away from your face. It also means that recoil will throw off your aim but won't make your entire damn screen shake. Combined with the ballistic physics and regional damage model, this makes the guns feel incredibly physical, and every shot feels like an expression of force.

There's even a plot, if you can believe it, and it's told through a series of tapes that you find lying around. Often I think I hear subtle digs at modern military shooter tropes, but sometimes it's like the speaker starts believing it and they lapse into sounding like a schizophrenic conspiracy theorist. It's weird.

I last played it six weeks ago but I can still do a magazine swap from memory. Z, 1, 2, Z, T. Filling and reloading an empty magazine, Z, ~, zzzzzzz, ~, Z, T. It only takes like an hour to figure out, and a couple more to be able to do it without mistakes (like forgetting to chamber a round) but eventually you feel like a total badass. Well, if you're like me and have never touched an actual gun before, anyway.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct 2013, 12:46 »

I saw this on Steam, watched some vids, liked the idea (especially since I know next to nothing about firearms and thought this could be a fun way to learn at least a thing or two)... but opted not to get it since I have about a hundred other games to play... that used to be hyperbole, but I'm pretty sure that's fact by now.   :oops:

I'm kind of regretting it now. I'll put it on my wishlist so I make sure I get it when my backlog slows down. Thanks for the recommendations you two!

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #3 on: 18 Oct 2013, 14:04 »

I've seen a couple of youtube playthroughs, and it definitely looks interesting. Now all they need to add is a muzzle-loaded black powder pistol.  :laugh:
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist
« Reply #4 on: 18 Oct 2013, 15:29 »

Just found a mod page that adds a Tokarev TT-33, a Thompson M1A1, and a Remington 870.

The Tokarev is okay, and it's modeled nicely, but it's just another pistol.
The Tommy gun is great against those flying drones, but it is a BULLET HOG!
The Remington 870 shotgun? Best in show. Most of the guns are about pointing at the camera or motor or whatever to surgically shut down the turrets with minimum ammo use. With the shotgun, you'll not only kill but actually knock over the turrets at close enough range, no matter where you're pointing. It has the usual shotgun problem that up close it is the angry hand of Odin come to smite your foes, but at long distance, those pellets turn to Nerf darts mid-flight. Also, it's tricky to get used to working the slide after every shot. PRO TIPS: To load, press [e] to get the shotgun into reload position, and press [z] to load shells. Hold [r] to pull back slide, release to return. THIS IS NOT COVERED IN HELP.

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #5 on: 12 Nov 2013, 11:22 »

Two bucks for this game on the humble store. Hard to say no to if you're interested at all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up