THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Learning has occurred  (Read 162428 times)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Learning has occurred
« on: 21 Oct 2013, 20:12 »

You should learn at least one new thing every day!

What did you guys learn today?

I learned that the Mason-Dixon (sometimes incorrectly called the Mason-Dixie) line is all the way up here in freaking DELAWARE.

That said, eat it yankees!
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
Re: Learning has occured
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2013, 20:17 »

It's the line between Maryland and Pennsylvania. The town I grew up in is only a couple miles from it. Though, to be fair, most of Maryland is just a couple miles from it.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2013, 20:26 »

I learned how to pronounce the original German lyrics for "Es ist ein ros entsprungen" for our christmas concert today...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2013, 14:35 »

I discovered a couple of days ago that the English word "loot" is from the Hindi (originally Sanskrit) word for "rob".
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra
« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2013, 14:47 »

I read stuff about some of the original Nordic figures Christians transposed old Mediterranean saints onto to co-opt those traditions.

I discovered a couple of days ago that the English word "loot" is from the Hindi (originally Sanskrit) word for "rob".

Speaking of which.. The Norse word for robbery "rán" - and rĺn/ran in modern Swedish and Danish respectively - is also the name of Rán, Goddess of the Sea.

Gee, I wonder how they ended up making that association! :roll:
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #5 on: 22 Oct 2013, 14:49 »

I had been wondering if zombies were an invention of modern culture, but it turns out they originate from African folklore, like voodoo. According to Wikipedia, people believed you could make someone a zombie by poisoning them with pufferfish toxin and delirium-inducing drugs. If they survived, the near-death experience and dissociated state of mind would cause them to believe they were resurrected from the dead, and act accordingly.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #6 on: 22 Oct 2013, 15:00 »

I learned something about Turkish Language today!

Apparently, the English (and German) word "Horde" has its origins in the Turkish "ordu" (which is old-Turkish for army). The same goes for the word caviar (from the Turkish havyar) and yoghurt (yoğurt)

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #7 on: 22 Oct 2013, 15:19 »

I learned that the Mason-Dixon (sometimes incorrectly called the Mason-Dixie) line is all the way up here in freaking DELAWARE.

This is correct. It is, however, a popular matter of speculation that the name Dixie is indeed derived from Dixon's name. That's one of several possible origins, though.

Masterpiece, fun fact: Albanian is no longer directly related to any surviving European (or otherwise) language, but borrows heavily from Turkish!
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #8 on: 22 Oct 2013, 15:47 »

The Turks were everywhere

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 22 Oct 2013, 17:00 »

Probably due to the Ottomans
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 Oct 2013, 17:08 »

today i learned a bunch of stuff about the history of malaysian comic books

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #11 on: 22 Oct 2013, 18:37 »

Today I learned that you can be a famous writer after perpetrating a phrase like "His observation is not through the eyes but through the central physical vision".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #12 on: 22 Oct 2013, 18:48 »

learned how to calculate half-lives of radioactive elements today!

also, lots of generic D&D info.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #13 on: 22 Oct 2013, 19:57 »

"Half a life, half a life, half a life downward!" 

Apologies to Lord Tennyson. 

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #14 on: 23 Oct 2013, 09:45 »

Today I learned that small minded idiots can throw away tens of thousands of dollars of business over not wanting to fill out three lines and sign a forth on a form.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #15 on: 23 Oct 2013, 09:53 »

That can be extended to a very large proportion of the population. I speak as one of them: I have spent two months failing to increase my savings account interest rate ten-fold because I can't be bothered to photocopy two documents, fill out a form and post it.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #16 on: 23 Oct 2013, 16:52 »

Today I learned that almost any face-to-face interaction you have with a sales rep or vendor might be an ethics violation, but nobody realizes/thinks about it because we all accept that attending vendor lunches and events are just part of the job. (RPA professional ethics class today!)
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #17 on: 23 Oct 2013, 17:00 »

I wouldn't buy any of my trade accounts lunch, those fuckers can buy ME lunch after all the bullshit they put me through.

May, to give you more context, if your business getting stock on a product you'd done tens of thousands of pound in trade on depended on doing that, would you A. do it, or B. say close the account?

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #18 on: 23 Oct 2013, 19:16 »

GM, I imagine it's probably different in your industry. This class was for property managers so most of it is in the context of reps who are giving you bids for products/services. Much of the problem arises from the fact that the property manager is acting as an agent for the property owner, so it's not actually "your" money, and that property value is usually based on net income, so if costs increase more than necessary you are actually decreasing the value of the owner's asset (which is a violation of your fiduciary responsibility), and that the majority of costs are passed to the tenants in the form of rent, so when they increase without an actual increase in services, it makes the property a less attractive place to lease, which reduces income because you can't get/keep tenants, which again hurts the NOI and property value. SO if you are taking a higher bid price and receiving personal gain, everyone besides you is getting hurt.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #19 on: 23 Oct 2013, 19:17 »

Aha! I see now. HEY LOOK! Learning just occurred in this very thread!

mtmerrick

« Reply #20 on: 23 Oct 2013, 20:05 »

A classmate educated me in the Ways Of Mormon today. That's what I get for asking what he was reading :P
That said, most level headed religious person I've ever met.

(and no, he did not convert me, nor do I expect he ever will. Still, educational to learn the way something ticks.)

mtmerrick

« Reply #21 on: 24 Oct 2013, 16:24 »

today learned that "Amtrak Police" are a thing.

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #22 on: 24 Oct 2013, 17:24 »

yep.
I see them and DHS cops on my commuter train weekly.
but Amtrak cops?
their jurisdiction is 50' wide and 10k miles long.
heh :D
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #23 on: 24 Oct 2013, 17:59 »

attended a free lecture about the association between high cannabis use and schizophrenia

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #24 on: 25 Oct 2013, 00:46 »

Sponsored by who?

And I play poker with a railroad officer.  Since the railroad purchased their right-of-ways (rights-of-way?) they have to provide their own security. 

A large part of his job was people who'd been killed on the tracks.  Some jumpers, too (from the train, not onto it).  Accidents at crossings are joint jurisdictions, but those are a lot less common than deaths out in the middle of nowhere. 

Remember, tunnels and bridges used by high-speed freight trains do not make good shortcuts for hikers! 

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #25 on: 25 Oct 2013, 04:20 »

I wouldn't buy any of my trade accounts lunch, those fuckers can buy ME lunch after all the bullshit they put me through.

May, to give you more context, if your business getting stock on a product you'd done tens of thousands of pound in trade on depended on doing that, would you A. do it, or B. say close the account?

Oh, you absolutely should do it. I'm just saying that humans are irrational and we're always failing to do things that would take very little effort and get us lots of money!

Today I put into practice a communication model we were taught yesterday. It's called SBAR: Situation, Background, Assessment and Recommendation. I think it's used all over the place but obviously I was learning it in the context of midwifery practice, so mostly for handing over the care of labouring women or making phone calls. This morning I had to ring up my university to give the name and student number of the girl who will be collecting my uniform on my behalf to the woman who distributes the uniforms. Normally I'd be all flustered and anxious about it, but I just used the model and it worked perfectly! Perhaps my Professional and Ethical Practice module isn't entirely boring waffle.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #26 on: 25 Oct 2013, 11:05 »

Today I learned that the little bumps on your tongue are not taste buds, they're fungiform papillae - which means "mushroom shaped nipples" in Latin.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #27 on: 25 Oct 2013, 11:45 »

Sponsored by who?

university psych dept. it was quite interesting

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #28 on: 25 Oct 2013, 13:05 »

at work I pre-fillout my portion of forms when new employees have to sign paperwork.  At the class the other day I decided to have my backup proctor the class so she could get some experience.  One of the new employees asked where my last name originates from (I have yet to meet anyone outside of family with my last name).  She told them and they said "the way he draws his "1s" look like he's from that part of the world.  Considering my family came to the US 141 years ago I just found out I apparently write like my literate ancestors
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #29 on: 25 Oct 2013, 15:59 »

Normally I'd be all flustered and anxious about it, but I just used the model and it worked perfectly!
Pretty much any model that makes you prepare for a phone call, meeting etc. will make it go better. At a minimum, jot down the things you want to say before you pick up the phone. Best, of course, for any "business" matters is to maintain a log of all your communications, but that's a bit of a counsel of perfection.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #30 on: 25 Oct 2013, 16:02 »

My mind wanders too far (and fast) for a log of a call to be effective.  Usually info comes and goes too fast to even take decent notes. 

And many of my "business" calls involve a fair amount of vitriol, which doesn't make notetaking any easier...

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #31 on: 27 Oct 2013, 07:41 »

Today I learned the North American Red Fox (Vulpes Vulpes) has a guidance and tracking system similar to what we use in guided missiles and that said foxes use them to hunt.

Something others may not have known. A female fox is a Vixen, and a male fox is a Dog.

You can make your own jokes there.

Tulpa

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #32 on: 02 Nov 2013, 02:30 »

Something others may not have known. A female fox is a Vixen, and a male fox is a Dog.
Female foxes being called vixens isn't common knowledge? Didn't know the name for male foxes, however.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #33 on: 02 Nov 2013, 05:26 »

The word "vixen" is a common enough term for a certain kind of human woman now that I think many people learn it independent of it's fluffier origins.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #34 on: 02 Nov 2013, 11:24 »

Today I learned that pig farmers use vaccinations to control the taste of the meat.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #35 on: 02 Nov 2013, 11:34 »

Lovely.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #36 on: 02 Nov 2013, 17:47 »

Today I learned about the squalid conditions Death Row inmates live in. Around the clock isolation, poorly ventilated cells, and the fact that they stay there for an average of 15 years before being executed.

Tulpa

« Reply #37 on: 02 Nov 2013, 17:58 »

Today I learned I can just learn new things from here everyday.  :mrgreen:

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #38 on: 02 Nov 2013, 18:53 »

Today I learned about Mad Elf Ale, from Troeg's brewery. 

$54 a case. 

11% alcohol (yeah, that's about twice your average beer/ale). 

Brewed with honey and cherries. 

Happy holidays! 

TheEvilDog

« Reply #39 on: 02 Nov 2013, 19:10 »

I learned two things today.
1) In Irish Celtic mythology, the Irish people were descended from the god Donn, which in turn allowed them to kick the asses of the race of gods living in Ireland, making it the only mythology where human defeated the gods.
2) I've started going grey less than a month before my 29th birthday...

Tulpa

« Reply #40 on: 04 Nov 2013, 02:25 »

I'd rather be going gray at 29 than balding at 17. Ugh. Now I have a brushed back mohawk which shaves the thinning areas.

Today I learned a lot about implanting things. Bioproofing things is pretty hard to do at home. Bioproofing being coating things in something that is inert and implantable. Like coating magnets to prevent heavy metal poisoning and degradation. Been looking into implanting some magnets into myself if you didn't guess from that.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #41 on: 04 Nov 2013, 02:57 »

There's quite a lot about implanting magnets in the old tattoo thread, starting here and spread over the next couple of pages.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #42 on: 04 Nov 2013, 04:16 »

I learned how to use the shift key to avoid falling to my death in Minecraft.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

UniqueNewYork

« Reply #43 on: 04 Nov 2013, 14:15 »

Learnt that the white rhino is not so-called because it is white; rather, the "white" portion of the name is a corruption of the Dutch word for "wide", since its snout is wider than that of other rhinos
Data:
>"I will always be puzzled by the human predilection for piloting vehicles at unsafe velocities."
Picard, later:
>"Well, Data, time for some unsafe velocities..."

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #44 on: 04 Nov 2013, 15:14 »

There's quite a lot about implanting magnets in the old tattoo thread, starting here and spread over the next couple of pages.

As cool as the concept sounds, I don't think I could deal with the pain.

Tulpa

« Reply #45 on: 04 Nov 2013, 15:31 »

I'm pretty sure I could take it just fine. Not so sure if I could self perform it, though. I can go into a dissociative trance pretty easily where I don't really feel anything at all. It's a pretty handy ability. But doing it to myself... Probably would be good to be self aware. So I'll have to find someone to do it most likely. Or at least a spotter.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #46 on: 04 Nov 2013, 18:13 »

Today, I learned that GameCube discs are smaller than a regular CD. I never had or really hung out with anyone who did, but my roommate has one (along with a Nintendo 64) and he left a game laying around in the common area. My mind was blown.

Tulpa

« Reply #47 on: 04 Nov 2013, 20:12 »

That disc size is pretty standard. I remember my first experience with one of them was a couple years before the gamecube came out, I think. Got a computer game on that size disc from some fast food kid's meal when the first x men movie came out which would have made me about six. Now I see them from time to time as driver discs.

UniqueNewYork

« Reply #48 on: 04 Nov 2013, 20:14 »

Today, I learned that GameCube discs are smaller than a regular CD. I never had or really hung out with anyone who did, but my roommate has one (along with a Nintendo 64) and he left a game laying around in the common area. My mind was blown.

Burger King (I think) at one point or another gave CDROMs that size out as Happy Meal toys.
Data:
>"I will always be puzzled by the human predilection for piloting vehicles at unsafe velocities."
Picard, later:
>"Well, Data, time for some unsafe velocities..."

Tulpa

« Reply #49 on: 04 Nov 2013, 20:55 »

I wanted to say burger king, so you're probably right on that. But I doubt it was a happy meal toy.  :mrgreen:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up