Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 03 Mar 2021, 10:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: Learning has occurred  (Read 81439 times)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Re: Learning has occurred
« Reply #450 on: 16 Jan 2021, 17:01 »

A crunching sound from cartilage is called "crepitus" and it's the same root as in "decrepit".
"Non-compliance is a social skill"

Morituri

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #451 on: 16 Jan 2021, 17:46 »

Most of the time in the US, modifications to a car are legal, subject to a DMV safety inspection.  In California (and now a bunch of other places) modifications to the engine or exhaust system are not: they will cause your car to fail its 'smog test' even if they reduce smog.  You're not allowed to change that thing that was approved by some committee with something that wasn't. For a while, this meant that converting cars to electric drive, eliminating all possibility of burning fuel and producing exhaust, would cause them to fail their smog inspections.  But that's gotten better; now there's just a form that someone can fill out.

Wanna know what they still get tetchy about? 

If you have to change anything about the way the seat belt or the seat itself is attached, your registration ceases to exist.  People buy aftermarket bucket seats all the time but they don't change the seat mounting.  People buy and install five-point harnesses occasionally, but when they do they don't remove the stock seat belt.  When you cross that line, that car is no longer legally a product of the company that made it.  Your Ford Fiesta isn't a Ford Fiesta any more. You have to get new registration, new plates, fill out a custom-car-builder's form, name the new make-and-model, get a builder's VIN issued by the state, etc etc etc....  and since there's no baseline data for your newly-built vehicle, you get future smog inspections under a special 'unknown' category that about two-thirds of production cars actually fail.  When your insurance company wants to know what kind of car you have, you are not allowed to call it a Ford Fiesta.  Insurance may be hard to find, and possibly even expensive.

All of which means, yes, that kind of modification is *technically* legal, but the car company, otherwise under strict liability for accidents and incidents, wants nothing more to do with it because if you designed and built your own attachments for the seat belt, or changed the linkage between the seat and the frame, then your safety is no longer subject to the protections they were expected to provide. 

I've done this three times now.  :-/
« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2021, 17:53 by Morituri »

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Fair warning, an avatar change is coming
    • Do They Have To Use Drums?
« Reply #452 on: 17 Jan 2021, 08:24 »

A crunching sound from cartilage is called "crepitus" and it's the same root as in "decrepit".

That means I heard 'crepitus' when I got the top of my ear pierced I guess.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #453 on: 17 Jan 2021, 18:17 »

I learned that gorillas only have one blood type, while horses have over 400,000

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #454 on: 18 Jan 2021, 00:50 »

Most of the time in the US, modifications to a car are legal, subject to a DMV safety inspection.  In California (and now a bunch of other places) modifications to the engine or exhaust system are not: they will cause your car to fail its 'smog test' even if they reduce smog.  You're not allowed to change that thing that was approved by some committee with something that wasn't. For a while, this meant that converting cars to electric drive, eliminating all possibility of burning fuel and producing exhaust, would cause them to fail their smog inspections.  But that's gotten better; now there's just a form that someone can fill out.

Wanna know what they still get tetchy about? 

If you have to change anything about the way the seat belt or the seat itself is attached, your registration ceases to exist.  People buy aftermarket bucket seats all the time but they don't change the seat mounting.  People buy and install five-point harnesses occasionally, but when they do they don't remove the stock seat belt.  When you cross that line, that car is no longer legally a product of the company that made it.  Your Ford Fiesta isn't a Ford Fiesta any more. You have to get new registration, new plates, fill out a custom-car-builder's form, name the new make-and-model, get a builder's VIN issued by the state, etc etc etc....  and since there's no baseline data for your newly-built vehicle, you get future smog inspections under a special 'unknown' category that about two-thirds of production cars actually fail.  When your insurance company wants to know what kind of car you have, you are not allowed to call it a Ford Fiesta.  Insurance may be hard to find, and possibly even expensive.

All of which means, yes, that kind of modification is *technically* legal, but the car company, otherwise under strict liability for accidents and incidents, wants nothing more to do with it because if you designed and built your own attachments for the seat belt, or changed the linkage between the seat and the frame, then your safety is no longer subject to the protections they were expected to provide. 

I've done this three times now.  :-/

My father converted a couple of vans to motor homes, and that's something you can't touch here, either - or, even, if the car is old enough, install them, in the first place. The procedure here, is that you can do it, but you need a licence as a car builder, and you need to have it shipped back to the manufacturer to have it checked, and marked compliant to safety standards.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

sitnspin

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Skateboarding guitar ninja
« Reply #455 on: 18 Jan 2021, 07:08 »

I learned that gorillas only have one blood type, while horses have over 400,000

So can horses get blood transfusions?
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

hedgie

« Reply #456 on: 18 Jan 2021, 07:15 »

Considering that they’re usually considered more valuable than humans, I’d presume so.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #457 on: 18 Jan 2021, 07:23 »

Apparently, despite the huge number of blood types, yes, they can. There's no antibodies originally present against other blood types, so any horse can give another horse their first transfusion. A second one can be trickier, as then, there are. Or so a veterinary knowledge base tells me.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

sitnspin

• Lovecraftian nightmare
« Reply #458 on: 18 Jan 2021, 07:49 »

I have a friend who has AA degree in equine studies, I will have to ask them about this later.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Tova

• Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #459 on: 18 Jan 2021, 23:33 »

Considering that they’re usually considered more valuable than humans, I’d presume so.

Interesting. By whom!
'A true thing, poorly expressed, is a lie.'

hedgie

« Reply #460 on: 19 Jan 2021, 04:31 »

Capitalist society.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

sitnspin

• Lovecraftian nightmare
« Reply #461 on: 19 Jan 2021, 07:12 »

To be fair, a hamburger is considered more valuable than a human in a capitalist society.
@syleegrrl

Tova

• Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #462 on: 19 Jan 2021, 10:14 »

ha ha  :roll:
'A true thing, poorly expressed, is a lie.'

Gyrre

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #463 on: 25 Jan 2021, 00:51 »

Interesting. By whom!
Wealthy douche nozzles.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Gyrre

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #464 on: 25 Jan 2021, 00:53 »

There's a TNG manga.

a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Dock Braun

• Larger than most fish
  • Wear a mask.
« Reply #465 on: 25 Jan 2021, 08:52 »

To be fair, a hamburger is considered more valuable than a human in a capitalist society.
To say that it's more valuable, lacks necessary nuance. The hamburger, to the consumer, has a more direct value, than the stranger bringing it to the consumer. Strangers, though, often have a greater value to the consumer, than any one hamburger, less directly. The stranger's presence aids the bringing of the hamburger, and more---of whatever other service---to the consumer. One stranger likely contributes more than one hamburgers' worth.
And then, of course, to whom? To one consumer, perhaps, some stranger is lower valued than a hamburger. To another, maybe too. Maybe to each consumer. To all consumers? A hamburger is valuable to one consumer. The value of the stranger, is to many. In sum, the stranger may be worth more.
Upon a closer inspection of the hamburger, one may find many strangers participating in the added value. In sum, to the consumer, those strangers' value is exactly the value of the burger. Those strangers, though, bring more benefit, to the consumer, than by that one burger. They bring another burger, to another consumer, who thereby better brings value to other consumers, etc.
Perhaps it is a bit shallow, to consider the value of a person, to another, in terms of how much they contribute to the bringing of hamburgers, or whatever other service; nonetheless, to any consumer, that is where the ultimate value is. Rather, the value is exclusively in the consumer; others may only bring the hamburger so far, before it's more efficient for the consumer to complete their own value, ingesting, enjoying.
Quote from: Professor E. Kingswater
Trouble with the world isn't too many people―it's too many bodies.

Wombt

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #466 on: 25 Jan 2021, 18:11 »

There's a TNG manga.
My brain converted the acronym correctly, but also assumed it referred to Degrassi: The Next Generation, and now I want that manga.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up