Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 06 May 2021, 18:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: Learning has occurred  (Read 84967 times)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Re: Learning has occurred
« Reply #450 on: 16 Jan 2021, 17:01 »

A crunching sound from cartilage is called "crepitus" and it's the same root as in "decrepit".
"Non-compliance is a social skill"

Morituri

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #451 on: 16 Jan 2021, 17:46 »

Most of the time in the US, modifications to a car are legal, subject to a DMV safety inspection.  In California (and now a bunch of other places) modifications to the engine or exhaust system are not: they will cause your car to fail its 'smog test' even if they reduce smog.  You're not allowed to change that thing that was approved by some committee with something that wasn't. For a while, this meant that converting cars to electric drive, eliminating all possibility of burning fuel and producing exhaust, would cause them to fail their smog inspections.  But that's gotten better; now there's just a form that someone can fill out.

Wanna know what they still get tetchy about? 

If you have to change anything about the way the seat belt or the seat itself is attached, your registration ceases to exist.  People buy aftermarket bucket seats all the time but they don't change the seat mounting.  People buy and install five-point harnesses occasionally, but when they do they don't remove the stock seat belt.  When you cross that line, that car is no longer legally a product of the company that made it.  Your Ford Fiesta isn't a Ford Fiesta any more. You have to get new registration, new plates, fill out a custom-car-builder's form, name the new make-and-model, get a builder's VIN issued by the state, etc etc etc....  and since there's no baseline data for your newly-built vehicle, you get future smog inspections under a special 'unknown' category that about two-thirds of production cars actually fail.  When your insurance company wants to know what kind of car you have, you are not allowed to call it a Ford Fiesta.  Insurance may be hard to find, and possibly even expensive.

All of which means, yes, that kind of modification is *technically* legal, but the car company, otherwise under strict liability for accidents and incidents, wants nothing more to do with it because if you designed and built your own attachments for the seat belt, or changed the linkage between the seat and the frame, then your safety is no longer subject to the protections they were expected to provide. 

I've done this three times now.  :-/
« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2021, 17:53 by Morituri »

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Fair warning, an avatar change is coming
    • Do They Have To Use Drums?
« Reply #452 on: 17 Jan 2021, 08:24 »

A crunching sound from cartilage is called "crepitus" and it's the same root as in "decrepit".

That means I heard 'crepitus' when I got the top of my ear pierced I guess.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #453 on: 17 Jan 2021, 18:17 »

I learned that gorillas only have one blood type, while horses have over 400,000

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #454 on: 18 Jan 2021, 00:50 »

Most of the time in the US, modifications to a car are legal, subject to a DMV safety inspection.  In California (and now a bunch of other places) modifications to the engine or exhaust system are not: they will cause your car to fail its 'smog test' even if they reduce smog.  You're not allowed to change that thing that was approved by some committee with something that wasn't. For a while, this meant that converting cars to electric drive, eliminating all possibility of burning fuel and producing exhaust, would cause them to fail their smog inspections.  But that's gotten better; now there's just a form that someone can fill out.

Wanna know what they still get tetchy about? 

If you have to change anything about the way the seat belt or the seat itself is attached, your registration ceases to exist.  People buy aftermarket bucket seats all the time but they don't change the seat mounting.  People buy and install five-point harnesses occasionally, but when they do they don't remove the stock seat belt.  When you cross that line, that car is no longer legally a product of the company that made it.  Your Ford Fiesta isn't a Ford Fiesta any more. You have to get new registration, new plates, fill out a custom-car-builder's form, name the new make-and-model, get a builder's VIN issued by the state, etc etc etc....  and since there's no baseline data for your newly-built vehicle, you get future smog inspections under a special 'unknown' category that about two-thirds of production cars actually fail.  When your insurance company wants to know what kind of car you have, you are not allowed to call it a Ford Fiesta.  Insurance may be hard to find, and possibly even expensive.

All of which means, yes, that kind of modification is *technically* legal, but the car company, otherwise under strict liability for accidents and incidents, wants nothing more to do with it because if you designed and built your own attachments for the seat belt, or changed the linkage between the seat and the frame, then your safety is no longer subject to the protections they were expected to provide. 

I've done this three times now.  :-/

My father converted a couple of vans to motor homes, and that's something you can't touch here, either - or, even, if the car is old enough, install them, in the first place. The procedure here, is that you can do it, but you need a licence as a car builder, and you need to have it shipped back to the manufacturer to have it checked, and marked compliant to safety standards.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

sitnspin

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #455 on: 18 Jan 2021, 07:08 »

I learned that gorillas only have one blood type, while horses have over 400,000

So can horses get blood transfusions?
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

hedgie

« Reply #456 on: 18 Jan 2021, 07:15 »

Considering that they’re usually considered more valuable than humans, I’d presume so.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #457 on: 18 Jan 2021, 07:23 »

Apparently, despite the huge number of blood types, yes, they can. There's no antibodies originally present against other blood types, so any horse can give another horse their first transfusion. A second one can be trickier, as then, there are. Or so a veterinary knowledge base tells me.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

sitnspin

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #458 on: 18 Jan 2021, 07:49 »

I have a friend who has AA degree in equine studies, I will have to ask them about this later.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Tova

• Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #459 on: 18 Jan 2021, 23:33 »

Considering that they’re usually considered more valuable than humans, I’d presume so.

Interesting. By whom!
'A true thing, poorly expressed, is a lie.'

hedgie

« Reply #460 on: 19 Jan 2021, 04:31 »

Capitalist society.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

sitnspin

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #461 on: 19 Jan 2021, 07:12 »

To be fair, a hamburger is considered more valuable than a human in a capitalist society.
@syleegrrl

Tova

• Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #462 on: 19 Jan 2021, 10:14 »

ha ha  :roll:
'A true thing, poorly expressed, is a lie.'

Gyrre

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #463 on: 25 Jan 2021, 00:51 »

Interesting. By whom!
Wealthy douche nozzles.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Gyrre

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #464 on: 25 Jan 2021, 00:53 »

There's a TNG manga.

a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Dock Braun

• Furry furrier
  • Wear a mask.
« Reply #465 on: 25 Jan 2021, 08:52 »

To be fair, a hamburger is considered more valuable than a human in a capitalist society.
To say that it's more valuable, lacks necessary nuance. The hamburger, to the consumer, has a more direct value, than the stranger bringing it to the consumer. Strangers, though, often have a greater value to the consumer, than any one hamburger, less directly. The stranger's presence aids the bringing of the hamburger, and more---of whatever other service---to the consumer. One stranger likely contributes more than one hamburgers' worth.
And then, of course, to whom? To one consumer, perhaps, some stranger is lower valued than a hamburger. To another, maybe too. Maybe to each consumer. To all consumers? A hamburger is valuable to one consumer. The value of the stranger, is to many. In sum, the stranger may be worth more.
Upon a closer inspection of the hamburger, one may find many strangers participating in the added value. In sum, to the consumer, those strangers' value is exactly the value of the burger. Those strangers, though, bring more benefit, to the consumer, than by that one burger. They bring another burger, to another consumer, who thereby better brings value to other consumers, etc.
Perhaps it is a bit shallow, to consider the value of a person, to another, in terms of how much they contribute to the bringing of hamburgers, or whatever other service; nonetheless, to any consumer, that is where the ultimate value is. Rather, the value is exclusively in the consumer; others may only bring the hamburger so far, before it's more efficient for the consumer to complete their own value, ingesting, enjoying.
Quote from: Professor E. Kingswater
Trouble with the world isn't too many people―it's too many bodies.

Wombt

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #466 on: 25 Jan 2021, 18:11 »

There's a TNG manga.
My brain converted the acronym correctly, but also assumed it referred to Degrassi: The Next Generation, and now I want that manga.

Morituri

« Reply #467 on: 16 Mar 2021, 10:16 »

Sometime in the 19th century, pneumatic tubes were constructed under Manhattan for the delivery of mail.  They were sealed tubes that were installed mostly through existing underground infrastructure such as sewers and steam tunnels.  Letters and small packages, pushed along by forced air moving at 35 mph, ran to and from post offices and, where traffic (and expensive fees) justified it, to offices in high-rise buildings in the financial district.  These were used up until 1935, after which a couple of post offices moved, and a couple of new ones had been constructed, and it just wasn't worth anybody's time and money to extend the system.  Mail is now distributed via more conventional methods.

The Urban Legend:
These tubes still exist underground, and various shifts and ruptures have opened connections to them from the sewers, steam tunnels, etc. in which they were originally built. In the course of remodeling, several unscrupulous architects have taken advantage of these abandoned tubes as drains through which rain can be diverted into the infrastructure below where it will be "somebody else's problem" and the upper ends now open in gutters and on slopes many stories high in the buildings that were once served with pneumatic mail.  But, because the buildings are heated, these long stretches of the tube that run up through the building are held at temperatures much warmer than the outside air resulting, on cold winter days, in a powerful draft from those places deep in the earth that comes whistling out of these tubes at high speed.  And every so often, a hapless cat, hunting rats deep in the underground, wanders too close to one of the air intakes and gets sucked up, through a twisting, turning, terrifying maze of tubing that batters the poor beast until finally it is launched, terrified, yowling, and often injured, out into the void thirty stories above ground.  In certain offices these creatures are occasionally heard as they are launched nearby; in certain apartments which happen to be situated downrange, a cat, sometimes badly injured, occasionally lands on the balcony and, as soon as it recovers its consciousness and/or composure, demands to be let in.  In other places cats are not so lucky and there is nowhere to land....

The Truth:
The guy who built this system back in eighteen-seventy-whatever, for reasons unknown, chose to test its suitability for 'fragile' packages by sending a cat, in a box, between stations to see whether it arrived at the destination with injuries.  Why he chose this bizarre method of testing, as opposed to getting a bunch of tableware - plates, cups, glasses, etc - from a thrift store is unknown, and has led to some speculation about whether he just personally hated that particular cat.  But ever since then people have been talking about cats getting into the tubes and 'accidentally' delivered to one of the destination stations. "High rise" buildings, in the context of eighteen-seventy-whatever, were no more than seven stories tall, and anyway the pneumatic delivery systems were all situated on the ground floor.
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2021, 10:25 by Morituri »

hedgie

« Reply #468 on: 16 Mar 2021, 10:25 »

A cat in a box can actually be in one of three determinate states: alive, dead, and bloody furious. 

cesium133

• comeback tour!
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #469 on: 16 Mar 2021, 10:27 »

A cat in a box can actually be in one of three determinate states: alive, dead, and bloody furious.
That’s not an orthonormal basis set. The cat can be both alive and bloody furious. Given it’s a cat, it is probably capable of being both dead and bloody furious, too.

Edit— I suppose it could be a valid basis if the cat is capable of being dead and bloody furious. Also, if the cat is not normalized, in which case making the cat more furious causes it to become less alive.

I haven’t been sleeping well this week, so I’m sure none of this makes any sense at all.

Edit 2– I may be thinking of this wrong. I’m picturing it as a three dimensional system— aliveness, deadness, and furiousness. But aliveness and deadness are linked— unless we allow the cat to be neither alive nor dead. In which case it’s actually only a two dimensional system, an alive-dead axis and a furiousness axis. I have no idea where I’m going with this.
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2021, 10:37 by cesium133 »
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Morituri

« Reply #470 on: 16 Mar 2021, 10:46 »

Now I have to wonder if Heisenberg had this incident in mind when he constructed his famous thought experiment.

Edit:  Of course I should have typed Schroedinger.  Thanks Hedgie, for the correction.
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2021, 11:53 by Morituri »

Morituri

« Reply #471 on: 16 Mar 2021, 10:50 »

And anyway, if it worked as the urban legend claims, it would be a rat launcher far more often than a cat launcher anyway.

hedgie

« Reply #472 on: 16 Mar 2021, 11:13 »

Now I have to wonder if Heisenberg had this incident in mind when he constructed his famous thought experiment.

Schrödinger, please.  I was also stealing from Pratchett here.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #473 on: 16 Mar 2021, 11:45 »

A box with a cat in the "bloody furious" state needs a label saying "this side towards enemy" on the lid.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

hedgie

« Reply #474 on: 16 Mar 2021, 11:52 »

Especially when that cat is Greebo.

Morituri

« Reply #475 on: 16 Mar 2021, 12:02 »

Bloody furious is the ground state for some cats. We call them "up" cats.
For others, the ground state is asleep.  We call them "down" cats.
Some never enter the injured state; they are known as "charmed" cats.
And more than a few simply vanish the first time some experimentor does something they don't like.  They are called "strange" cats, and exhibit a property known as "feline tunnelling"  whereby they may appear in an adjacent space, seemingly at random.....

N.N. Marf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • insayanman8001
« Reply #476 on: 17 Mar 2021, 04:48 »

When Erwin Schrödinger tubed his cat home after that infamous experiment, it stayed both dead and alive---superpositional resiliency being a markèd quality of boxed cats. He was damned sure it'd be bloody furious on the other end---even after collapsing it's superposition, irregarding whence---result: negative; leading to the development of the bottom or top cat distinction.
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)
Quote from: Neil Young (Sixty to Zero, ¶5)
Now the jailhouse was empty
All the criminals were gone

LeeC

• coprophage
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #477 on: 03 May 2021, 20:16 »

I recently learned that the Toucan bird has clear skin and you can see through it if you brush the feathers out of the way.

Here are some pictures.
https://imgur.com/gallery/9oqKDJj
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Veritable_Variable

• Not quite a lurker
  • He/They
« Reply #478 on: 04 May 2021, 13:05 »

When Erwin Schrödinger tubed his cat home after that infamous experiment, it stayed both dead and alive---superpositional resiliency being a markèd quality of boxed cats. He was damned sure it'd be bloody furious on the other end---even after collapsing it's superposition, irregarding whence---result: negative; leading to the development of the bottom or top cat distinction.

He would either get a ferocious live cat or a vengeful ghost cat upon opening the box.
Yes.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up