THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Learning has occurred  (Read 162486 times)

indiespy

• Emoticontraindication
  • A spy who is indie
Re: Learning has occured
« Reply #50 on: 04 Nov 2013, 21:06 »

Today I learned that my fiances family and my own have "known" each other for the last 500 years. We lived in the same areas in Europe, traveled to America at the same time on the same ship, served side by side in multiple wars and even died together. Yet we are the first in our family's long history to get married.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #51 on: 04 Nov 2013, 21:34 »

you can also get optical discs in different shapes

UniqueNewYork

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #52 on: 04 Nov 2013, 21:36 »

And here I thought the GameCube manual's warning about non circular disks was just making sure they had their bases covered...
Data:
>"I will always be puzzled by the human predilection for piloting vehicles at unsafe velocities."
Picard, later:
>"Well, Data, time for some unsafe velocities..."

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #53 on: 05 Nov 2013, 04:36 »

That disc size is pretty standard. I remember my first experience with one of them was a couple years before the gamecube came out, I think. Got a computer game on that size disc from some fast food kid's meal when the first x men movie came out which would have made me about six. Now I see them from time to time as driver discs.

I remember that once I got a driver installation disk with a new set of speakers was that size. And then years ago I got a Treasure Planet game as a happy meal toy in that size.

UniqueNewYork

« Reply #54 on: 05 Nov 2013, 06:26 »

Today I learned that my fiances family and my own have "known" each other for the last 500 years. We lived in the same areas in Europe, traveled to America at the same time on the same ship, served side by side in multiple wars and even died together. Yet we are the first in our family's long history to get married.

This is beyond cool. How did you figure it out?
Data:
>"I will always be puzzled by the human predilection for piloting vehicles at unsafe velocities."
Picard, later:

indiespy

• Emoticontraindication
  • A spy who is indie
« Reply #55 on: 05 Nov 2013, 10:46 »

This is beyond cool. How did you figure it out?
I did research in genealogy for both sides. Then went through different resources for side info.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #56 on: 05 Nov 2013, 11:56 »

I got a small CD from some clothing store or other, I was part of their girls' club or something. I can't actually remember except that the CD was really small.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

UniqueNewYork

« Reply #57 on: 05 Nov 2013, 11:59 »

I can think of no possible reason for the one that reads "USB Stick" to do so. I mean, it's not like thumbdrives need drivers or anything, right? Isn't that the whole point of em?
Data:
Picard, later:

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #58 on: 05 Nov 2013, 12:13 »

I can think of no possible reason for the one that reads "USB Stick" to do so. I mean, it's not like thumbdrives need drivers or anything, right? Isn't that the whole point of em?

Windows 98 had no built-in USB support, so until recently some USB sticks were still sold with a driver floppy or CD.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #59 on: 05 Nov 2013, 18:24 »

Notice that they are (mostly) symmetric (the parthenon thingy is stretching it a bit) and the cutout parts are fairly large...

Penn State's mascot is the Nittany Lion, a breed of mountain lion native to the area (Mount Nitanny is visible from the stadium).  One of the logos they use is the lion's pawprint, which has 5 toes (the only remaining specimen, which died in 1903 and was stuffed had 6 toes on the front paws, not an unusual mutation in cats, leaving a 5-toed footprint)

Imagine if you will, back in the late 90's, when the admissions department put admissions info (a video tour, application forms, etc) on CD-ROMs and had them shaped like the lion's paw.  It was a good bit rounder than the above image, but the small notches cut out between the toes left it a bit asymmetric, and because they were small, the eddy currents cause it to howl like a siren when the disc spun up...

Our branch campus alone got 3000 of the discs.  System wide?  Probably 100,000 or more.  Every one of them completely useless, unless the users and their neighbors were all stone deaf. 

Learning had occurred! 

Of course, they could have just asked someone...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #60 on: 27 Nov 2013, 11:13 »

The Origin of the Days of the Week:

Modern: - Comes From:
Monday - Manisdagr, Mani, the Norse Moon Goddess
 Tuesday - Tyrsdagr, Tyr, Norse war god, god of Justice
 Wendeday - Wodinsdagr - Odin All Father
 Thursday - Thorsdagr - Thor. You know who he is. At least the marvel variant.
 Friday - Freyasdagr or Friggsdagr - There is much debate over whether Friday is named Freyja or Frigg. Since this is Norse Heathens.... you can imagine that the debates are very... spirited.
Sunday - Sunnasdagr Sunna is the Norse sun goddess.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #61 on: 27 Nov 2013, 14:40 »

The other day I learnt that if someone has a tooth knocked out you should put it in a glass of milk because the calcium helps keep it alive.

A friend had an incident with some stairs at a party and thanks to someone else's quick thinking the dentist was able to put his tooth back.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #62 on: 28 Nov 2013, 14:31 »

put it in a glass of coke and watch it dissolve over the course of a week!
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #63 on: 28 Dec 2013, 21:37 »

The barrels in which wines are aged matter so much and in such concrete and sciency ways, I had no idea

Things like the pore-size of the oak

whoa
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #64 on: 28 Dec 2013, 23:12 »

There are several competing explanations I hadn't known about for why there are more allergies and auto-immune diseases than there used to be. The one I had known about, the hygiene hypothesis, actually has some animal studies and potential mechanisms behind it.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #65 on: 28 Dec 2013, 23:27 »

The barrels in which wines are aged matter so much and in such concrete and sciency ways, I had no idea

Things like the pore-size of the oak

whoa

Wine Chemist is an actual no shit career field.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #66 on: 29 Dec 2013, 08:59 »

put it in a glass of coke and watch it dissolve over the course of a week!
Myth.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #67 on: 29 Dec 2013, 19:08 »

"Resile" is a real word.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Aimless

« Reply #68 on: 30 Dec 2013, 07:45 »

Wine Chemist is an actual no shit career field.

If I hadn't gone into medicine some sort of food chemistry would probably have been near the top of the list of dream careers :)

Aimless

« Reply #69 on: 05 Jan 2014, 23:48 »

So "phronesis", roughly translated, means "practical wisdom":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phronesis

Grognard

• Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #70 on: 06 Jan 2014, 12:33 »

LEARNED:
Virginia is full of wuss-empowering morons.
Schools to be closed in NoVA due to the THREAT of extreme cold temps.

?REALLY?

*headdesk*
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #71 on: 06 Jan 2014, 12:45 »

I don't know what the weather is like in Virginia but it's not wussy to decide not to force people to go out in life-threatening weather. Teachers often commute for an hour or more; in bad weather they have to set off even earlier. If the district waits until the weather is really bad, people will already have set out and will be in danger trying to get home again.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #72 on: 06 Jan 2014, 18:06 »

I don't know what the weather is like in Virginia but it's not wussy to decide not to force people to go out in life-threatening weather. Teachers often commute for an hour or more; in bad weather they have to set off even earlier. If the district waits until the weather is really bad, people will already have set out and will be in danger trying to get home again.

Is it only the low temperatures or did the NoVa area get hit with rain or snow or icy conditions? Lowe temperatures alone shouldn't cancel school unless it's deadly lows like in the plains states...

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #73 on: 07 Jan 2014, 00:33 »

It's -7 F outside right now.  Roughly -22 C.  I'm an hour north of NoVA.  Our schools didn't close for tomorrow until earlier this evening! 

Unfortunately, my dogs still want to go outside for a walk.  While I'm tempting to tell them to just hold it, I don't think that'll work out too well. 

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #74 on: 07 Jan 2014, 08:27 »

My car said it was 2 F when I left for work at 7am. Several counties in the area closed school, but where I live (Montgomery) did not. I do not envy the kids at the bus stop who I passed on my way. Now (11:30am) in NoVa it's a bit warmer, up to 11/feels like -6. At home it's 7/feels like -13.

I don't know how to function in this kind of weather, I can't even imagine -50 like I keep hearing about in the Midwest.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #75 on: 07 Jan 2014, 09:16 »

Bain, all you have to do is stay inside and drink a few warm beverages.

This is some miserable bullshit though. Apparently every U.S. state but Hawai'i is experiencing sub-freezing temps. Even MEXICO is sub freezing. That shit's fucked up.

Dennis Quaid tried to tell us man!

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #76 on: 07 Jan 2014, 09:23 »

Gotta say though, I wish I could be all "sorry man, can't come to work tomorrow because of the Polar Vortex". It just sounds so cool. So much better than my lame "I might be late today because the trains are crap and I can't cycle because of the mud".

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #77 on: 07 Jan 2014, 12:25 »

I'm selling beer to people who came out in single digit weather specifically to buy beer. 

I can just see it now - sitting at home, looking at the last few cans, looking at the weather, then deciding "Nope - not gonna be able to make 'em last!" 

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #78 on: 07 Jan 2014, 13:21 »

Winds from the east, not so bad in the single digits.
Winds from the south? BLEEPING BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP!!!!! Coastal city + winds out of the south + 20 minute wait for bus = unhappy person. It's not the temperature that are bad, but this wind is a killer.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #79 on: 07 Jan 2014, 21:05 »

Today I found out why, if you aim a non-contact thermometer at an incandescent light bulb, it reports the globe temperature and not the filament temperature.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #80 on: 07 Jan 2014, 21:29 »

Is it only the low temperatures or did the NoVa area get hit with rain or snow or icy conditions? Lowe temperatures alone shouldn't cancel school unless it's deadly lows like in the plains states...

There were some deadly wind chills, not to mention school buses aren't exactly well-heated most of the time.

I don't know about NoVa, but the mountains of Virginia got slammed with snow as well.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #81 on: 09 Jan 2014, 17:13 »

Yesterday I found out that garlic mouthwash is a thing and that there's a good reason for it.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #82 on: 09 Jan 2014, 17:19 »

Yesterday I found out that garlic mouthwash is a thing and that there's a good reason for it.

To ward off vampires?

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #83 on: 10 Jan 2014, 03:05 »

It has antibiotic properties. 

Also repels fleas...

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #84 on: 10 Jan 2014, 10:02 »

Is it for humans or pets?

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #85 on: 10 Jan 2014, 10:10 »

I learned you can stump a phone pollster by being concerned about an issue that wasn't normally what people are concerned about and being inoffensive, polite, and thinking before giving answers- the guy had never encountered a person like that before  :-D

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #86 on: 10 Jan 2014, 10:23 »

I've only ever been called by a phone pollster once, and it was early on a Saturday morning. What I told the pollster may be a big reason for why I was never called again.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #87 on: 10 Jan 2014, 14:49 »

For humans. It fights decay bacteria.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #88 on: 10 Jan 2014, 15:39 »

For humans. It fights decay bacteria.

As long as it doesn't have the garlic smell, it's not so bad of an idea...but if it still has it then you need mouthwash to cover up the smell of the mouthwash  :-o

Aimless

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #90 on: 12 Jan 2014, 14:58 »

The geographical center of North America is Rugby, North Dakota.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #91 on: 12 Jan 2014, 18:39 »

Rugby seems a little far north for the dead center...

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #92 on: 12 Jan 2014, 18:54 »

The geographic center of the Lower 48 is near Lebanon, Kansas.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #93 on: 12 Jan 2014, 19:05 »

I have the oddest urge to go to Deadhorse, Alaska.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #94 on: 12 Jan 2014, 19:06 »

I have the oddest urge to go to Deadhorse, Alaska.

Just don't beat anyone there.

Grognard

• Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #95 on: 12 Jan 2014, 19:55 »

one of tese years i'll take na allaskan vacation.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #96 on: 12 Jan 2014, 20:14 »

I've been twice, it's lovely in the summer.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #97 on: 12 Jan 2014, 21:00 »

It's actually true

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #98 on: 12 Jan 2014, 21:26 »

No it isn't.
According to a listing by the U.S. Geological Survey, Rugby is actually approximately 15 miles (24 km) from the geographic center of North America (6 miles (9.7 km) west of Balta), and even this designation carries no official status.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #99 on: 13 Jan 2014, 02:32 »

I think Unalaska sounds more interesting
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up