THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:55
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Learning has occurred  (Read 162456 times)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
Re: Learning has occurred
« Reply #400 on: 11 Jan 2019, 08:07 »

wow, it just hit me that the song came out 30 years ago. I was 3 at the time.  :psyduck:
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #401 on: 11 Jan 2019, 16:22 »

la la lalalalaaaaaaa
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #402 on: 28 Feb 2019, 14:44 »

Today I learned what a rent party was.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #403 on: 04 Mar 2019, 15:18 »

The other day I learned there's something called "Luftverbrauchssteuer", literally "air use tax".
If you add something to a building exceeding a certain height beyond your roof, you have to pay a tax, as you occupy a certain amount of air. And there's a tax on that.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #404 on: 14 Mar 2019, 08:06 »

Not sure where to post this, so I stuck it here:

How to do Research

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #405 on: 11 Jun 2019, 12:00 »

The Australian Museum has an animal factsheet on Thylarctos plummetus ...

:psyduck:
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #406 on: 12 Jun 2019, 06:07 »

The Australian Museum has an animal factsheet on Thylarctos plummetus ...

:psyduck:

Saw the name, and immediately thought of Monty Python's "Flying Sheep" :)
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #407 on: 10 Jul 2019, 08:37 »

Thanks to this video by John Green I learned a new and possibly better way to tie my shoe instead of using double knots!

Life Hacks My Wife Taught Me

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #408 on: 10 Jul 2019, 09:26 »

Thanks to this video by John Green I learned a new and possibly better way to tie my shoe instead of using double knots!

Four decades of my life wasted ... :facepalm:

"What happened was that I brought a couple beers down to the beach but forgot a bottle-opener, so Sarah proceeded to use her two day-old wedding ring to open the bottles"

Hmmmmh - I possess my peoples' innate aptitude for opening beer-bottles with practically anything lying around (actually, it's just visualizing the forces & a firm grip), but I've never heard of this one.

This is unacceptable - I shall not rest until I have mastered the wedding ring, for the glory and honour of the Fatherland!

"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #409 on: 21 Jul 2019, 22:37 »

I had not known until a lecture yesterday at a 50th anniversary event just how little popular support the Apollo program had. 26% in 1964, and still only in the 30s by Apollo 8.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #410 on: 25 Jul 2019, 01:47 »

Today I learned that French composer Hector Berlioz, composer of much religious music, given a religious upbringing but became an avowed agnostic, remarked that Catholicism was "charming now that it no longer burns people."

If only he knew what was still coming.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #411 on: 25 Jul 2019, 16:38 »

This is unacceptable - I shall not rest until I have mastered the wedding ring, for the glory and honour of the Fatherland!
Imaginary pickelhaube intensifies!
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #412 on: 02 Aug 2019, 04:20 »

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #413 on: 03 Aug 2019, 00:10 »

Thanks to the German (probably Prussian ;)) officers who trained the Chinese National Army during the 1920s and 30s, you might say that it parrots that marching style:

Hmmmmh - I possess my peoples' innate aptitude for opening beer-bottles with practically anything lying around (actually, it's just visualizing the forces & a firm grip), but I've never heard of this one.
There's a link on that page to "German maths witchcraft", which is just the same as Chinese and Australian maths as far as I can tell (that is certainly how I was taught to do subtraction in junior school), with the exception of the thousands-separator and decimal point conventions. So not so much German magic of Nibilungs, as just ordinary outside the USA?

And LOL! I noticed this question, while googling for a link about German training of the Chinese army: "Why did China join World War II?" I would reply "We didn't! WW2 joined us!"
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #414 on: 05 Aug 2019, 22:06 »

It might be that everyone else already knew this, but I only just learned that if you move your mouse-cursor over the IPA pronunciation guides on Wikipedia pages, a tip pops up prompting you with the pronunciation of each letter.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #415 on: 05 Aug 2019, 22:43 »

Handy!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #416 on: 09 Aug 2019, 16:41 »

I just found out that Australia exports camels to Saudi Arabia.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #417 on: 10 Aug 2019, 02:58 »

Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #418 on: 10 Aug 2019, 04:46 »

Um. Okay. I admit that I did not know about the sand.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #419 on: 11 Aug 2019, 21:06 »

I just found out that Australia exports camels to Saudi Arabia.
Yes, we do, from our large population of feral camels (descendants of riding and pack animals employed in the bush in the 19th century, and turned loose when no longer required). Mainly they are just another part of our thriving live meat export trade to the Middle East.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #421 on: 12 Aug 2019, 07:29 »

TheEvilDog

« Reply #422 on: 12 Aug 2019, 14:44 »

......You know what, I think he has...

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #423 on: 22 Oct 2019, 07:20 »

I was making tea today and found a teabag that contained marshmallow root. I thought "What the hell is that, some kind of artificial sweetener?"

It was not. The marshmallow plant is real, and its root was used by the ancient Egyptians to create marshmallows. This candy is over five thousand years old.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #424 on: 22 Oct 2019, 08:08 »

I learned that there is still a "Prince Napoleon" and he's my age. Jean-Christophe Louis Ferdinand Albéric Napoléon is Head of the Imperial House of France and has the title "His Imperial and Royal Highness Jean-Christophe, Prince Impérial (Prince Napoléon), Prince of Montfort, of Lucca and Piombino, and of Canino and Musignano, titular Prince of Elba, titular Prince Royal of Holland and of Westphalia, titular Grand Duke of Berg and Cleves, titular Grand Duke of Tuscany, and Duke of Reichstadt" and the Napoleon is his great-great-great-grand uncle.

I'd love to see a boxing match or chess match between him and the current pretender of the French Bourbon throne Prince Louis Alphonse of Bourbon, Duke of Anjou

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #425 on: 22 Oct 2019, 10:49 »

I learned that there is still a "Prince Napoleon" and he's my age. Jean-Christophe Louis Ferdinand Albéric Napoléon is Head of the Imperial House of France and has the title "His Imperial and Royal Highness Jean-Christophe, Prince Impérial (Prince Napoléon), Prince of Montfort, of Lucca and Piombino, and of Canino and Musignano, titular Prince of Elba, titular Prince Royal of Holland and of Westphalia, titular Grand Duke of Berg and Cleves, titular Grand Duke of Tuscany, and Duke of Reichstadt" and the Napoleon is his great-great-great-grand uncle.

Great, another twat claiming I'm his subject ...

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #426 on: 23 Oct 2019, 02:06 »

Meh, it's only titular. Just look at the titles the king of Spain carries. I believe at some point, we had three separate people carrying the title of duke of Brabant.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #428 on: 24 Oct 2019, 07:05 »

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #429 on: 10 Nov 2019, 01:57 »

I see only broken link icon.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #430 on: 22 Jan 2020, 09:38 »

Sometimes Reddit will send me random suggestions based off my searches/subscriptions. Well one of which is "Today I Learned" and the subject was rather interesting:

"In 1714, a Norwegian captain (Peter Tordenskjold) and an English captain had a 14-hour long ship fight. Afterwards, both ships were badly damaged and the Norwegian captain was running out of ammo. He sent an envoy to the English ship, asking if he could borrow some of their ammo. His request was denied, and the captains drank to each other's health, before the ships dispersed"

Well, I just learned about that today.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #431 on: 22 Jan 2020, 09:40 »

Sometimes Reddit will send me random suggestions based off my searches/subscriptions. Well one of which is "Today I Learned" and the subject was rather interesting:

"In 1714, a Norwegian captain (Peter Tordenskjold) and an English captain had a 14-hour long ship fight. Afterwards, both ships were badly damaged and the Norwegian captain was running out of ammo. He sent an envoy to the English ship, asking if he could borrow some of their ammo. His request was denied, and the captains drank to each other's health, before the ships dispersed"

Well, I just learned about that today.

"Can I borrow some cannon balls? I promise I'll give them RIGHT back!"

:)
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Dngrsone

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Grumpus Maximus
« Reply #432 on: 22 Jan 2020, 10:08 »

Now I want to watch Grosse Point Blank

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #433 on: 22 Jan 2020, 10:47 »

I think the next paragraph is better still:

When he heard about the incident, king Frederick IV of Denmark asked for the admiralty to court-martial Wessel. He stood trial in November 1714, accused of disclosing vital military information about his lack of ammunition to the enemy, as well as endangering the ship of king Frederick IV by fighting a superior enemy force. The spirit with which he defended himself and the contempt he poured on his less courageous comrades took the fancy of Frederick IV. He successfully argued a section of the Danish naval code which mandated attacking fleeing enemy ships no matter the size, and was acquitted on 15 December 1714. He then went to the king asking for a promotion, and was raised to the rank of Captain on 28 December 1714.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #434 on: 08 Feb 2020, 20:43 »

Today I learned that the dimples on people's lower back are called "Dimples of Venus"

Tova

• coprophage

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #436 on: 27 May 2020, 07:38 »

TIL that if a Pelican overheats it can pull its spine through its mouth to cool down.

(click to show/hide)

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #437 on: 02 Jul 2020, 04:15 »

So I remembered somewhat randomly today that at school, there was a yearly event where you could wear whatever you wanted instead of the uniform. And I always wondered why the heck it was called mufti day.

And thanks to the Intertubes, now I know.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #438 on: 09 Jul 2020, 18:38 »

Ah... Thanks. I knew what "mufti" meant (Australia was part of the Empah, after all), but not the origin of the term.

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #439 on: 10 Jul 2020, 04:43 »

So I remembered somewhat randomly today that at school, there was a yearly event where you could wear whatever you wanted instead of the uniform. And I always wondered why the heck it was called mufti day.

And thanks to the Intertubes, now I know.

Huh?

An identical term in colloquial German is sometimes used to express discontent towards a person viewed as claiming authority or status beyond their actual real-life importance - essentially assigning a 'fantasy' official title to a pompous twat in order to encourage them to be less of a pompous twat ('fantasy' bcs the office of mufti doesn't exist in German culture).

Afaics, it's derived from the actual historic office of mufti in Islamic Law rather than any references to school-uniforms (Germany doesn't have those anyhow, but has had a close relationship with Turkey for a long time).

Usage is always sarcastic - sometimes enhanced by adding modifiers like e.g. 'Gross-Mufti von Klein-Kleckersdorf' (roughly "Grandmufti of Bumfuck, AZ") - and usually ethnicity-agnostic (i.e. most people mocked as 'Mufti of whatever' are lily-white indigenes).
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2020, 04:58 by Case »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #440 on: 07 Aug 2020, 19:53 »

Today I learned that LMFAO's "Party Rock Anthem" has the same beats per minute as Billy Joel's "Uptown Girl."

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #441 on: 24 Sep 2020, 21:02 »

Today I learned that my phone has augmented reality capability. I participated in an academic study and it prompted me to aim the camera at a table or floor, and a toy VW bus appeared on the floor that I could walk around and view from all angles. Somehow I had not known about that.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

N.N. Marf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • I came; I vexed; I left. Sorry.
« Reply #442 on: 25 Sep 2020, 05:27 »

that LMFAO's "Party Rock Anthem" has the same beats per minute as Billy Joel's "Uptown Girl."
I thought their ratio were 2:1
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)
Quote from: Neil Young (Sixty to Zero, ¶5)
Now the jailhouse was empty
All the criminals were gone

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #443 on: 21 Nov 2020, 19:18 »

Well I learned something today.

The name may be misleading, as the "ninja" in question were seen as witches and it was a literal witch hunt. Anywhere between 150-300 people were killed. Big oof. :(

From Wikiapedia:
The 1998 East Java ninja scare was an outbreak of mass hysteria in East Java, Indonesia, in which the local population believed they were being targeted by sorcerers known as ninja, who were blamed for mysterious killings of religious leaders by assassins dressed in black. As many as 150-300 “sorcerers” were killed between February and October, with the most deaths occurring between August and September.

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #444 on: 31 Dec 2020, 11:21 »

I've learned today that there's 7.8 billion humans on this planet.

DO YOU PEOPLE HAVE OTHER HOBBIES?

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #445 on: 31 Dec 2020, 12:21 »

My parents lived out in the middle of nowhere, and had no internet or even TV. I asked my parents what they did when they were bored, and they didn't know. My 26 brothers and sisters didn't know either.
« Last Edit: 01 Jan 2021, 03:28 by Pilchard123 »
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #446 on: 31 Dec 2020, 14:21 »

I paint miniatures, play video games, read, and write.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #447 on: 31 Dec 2020, 15:20 »

And LOL! I noticed this question, while googling for a link about German training of the Chinese army: "Why did China join World War II?" I would reply "We didn't! WW2 joined us!"

Mostly about Japan using the war as an opportunity to make territorial claims (and commit some atrocities) in China, right?  On the theory that everybody else was too busy with the Germans/Austrians/Italians/&co in Europe to bother with trying to stop them?  China could have fought on its own or as part of an alliance. Aaaand, that looks like a pretty clear choice to me.  So no, I don't wonder why China got into WWII.

Australia's motives are the ones that seem a bit less clear; Japan wasn't significantly encroaching on them or at least not that I know of, and while there were cultural ties to allied Europe, there was also festering resentment.  I wouldn't have guessed the diplomatic relationships would really be as solid as "going to war for the benefit of others." 

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #448 on: 02 Jan 2021, 06:39 »

Fun fact: most birds are constantly in a squatting position due to the nearly permanent placement of their thighs, and they walk or hop by moving their knees and ankles instead of their hips.

So yes, penguins do have knees. Avian dinosaurs are just weird.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #449 on: 08 Jan 2021, 16:02 »

I've learned today that there's 7.8 billion humans on this planet.

Some of us just know how to practice that one hobby correctly
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Up