THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Learning has occurred  (Read 162416 times)

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
Re: Learning has occurred
« Reply #500 on: 19 Dec 2021, 13:57 »

At least the tomato thing helps with explaining D&D stats.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #501 on: 19 Dec 2021, 15:35 »

Along that theme:

A chimpanzee isn't a monkey

David: Even though a chimp is totally in every meaningful way, obviously it's a monkey, it's not a monkey. You know, it's a special place that's been made by biologists for pedants to reside so that any time someone refers to a chimpanzee as a monkey, like you did then, a pedant like me says, "Oh no, a chimpanzee isn't a monkey"; and I've started to hate myself for that.
Lee: Nice of you to join the rest of us.

Also in that category, while I'm on the topic, "blank isn't a colour."
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #502 on: 19 Dec 2021, 16:54 »

The common ancestor of the Coelecanth and cats diverged from "fish" more recently than the common ancestor of Coelecanth and other fish. 

This fascinates me because humans' most recent common ancestor with cats, and in fact, the earliest common ancestor of all mammals, and before that the earliest common ancestor of all reptiles, all came after that.  I don't know why they picked "cats" to communicate this story, but it can't be true without including all mammals, and that can't be true without including all the reptiles, and that can't be true without including all the dinosaurs including birds. 

Meaning that the Coelecanth is an offshoot of the lineage that gave rise to all land animals, and that lineage has given rise to no other surviving species of fish.   And that seems unique enough to be worth studying and trying to understand.  What was so special about it?  What cocktail of evolutionary pressures caused the following sequence of events?

Likewise with sea squirts.  It's the closest relative to a vertebrate that isn't actually a vertebrate.  So "useless but true" for most of us, but if you happen to have an interest in how vertebrates came about, then understanding the sea squirt is likely to be important.

« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2021, 17:15 by Morituri »

Runkel

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #503 on: 20 Dec 2021, 15:52 »

Also in that category, while I'm on the topic, "blank isn't a colour."
Yet Zero is a number.  Isn't it?

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #504 on: 20 Dec 2021, 15:58 »

While it is true that "blank" is not a colour, I had intended to say "black," of course.  :roll:
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Morituri

« Reply #505 on: 20 Dec 2021, 17:00 »

potatoes are also not colors.

But people seldom seem compelled to wonder whether they are or aren't, nor to express opinions about their non-numeric status.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #506 on: 20 Dec 2021, 19:52 »

Sorry, you lost me there.

Morituri

« Reply #507 on: 20 Dec 2021, 21:12 »

I was being very slightly oblique, I guess.  But, pointing out that 'black' is understood to be in the general category of colors, and 'zero' in the general category of numbers, by practically everyone whether or not they accept the premise that they actually are members of those categories. 

The counterexample, 'potato', is something that is clearly not a color (nor a number) in that it would not even be a sensible answer to a question about color or quantity.

The whole point of this is that, when we feel a need to actually *say* that black is not a color, we are saying that, whatever we think it is, it's pretty close to the idea of a color.  It's something that would be a sensible answer if we ask what color some object is.  The only sense in which it's not a color is that it's not the color of any wavelength of light.

For much of human history (up to some time in the middle ages, in Europe) people felt the same way about 'zero' being a number.  If someone asked how many of something there were, 'none' was a non-numeric out-of-band response, indicating that the question was in error.  But at some point the Arabic numerals were adopted, and 'zero' became a way to say 'none' that was numeric, in-band, and didn't require anyone to reformulate a question or deal with an error.  And then we had the same fight about negative numbers, and then about imaginary and complex numbers, etc. 

So...  It's up to everybody whether to accept the idea that 'black' is a color or not.  I'm happy to go around thinking that it is.  For the same reason that most people think that having an opinion about whether it is or not even makes sense.  It's just the 'zero' of the color spectrum.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #508 on: 20 Dec 2021, 21:17 »

It's also a matter how one defines terms. Whether or not black is a colour entirely depends on what one means when they say "colour".
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Morituri

« Reply #509 on: 20 Dec 2021, 21:24 »

Exactly.  And I'm happy to mean by 'color' something that includes 'black' (and even 'clear') as possible values.  Others can choose to mean by 'color' some smaller category;  we may need to clarify a few edge cases if we're discussing it, but I'm not going to argue over which of us owns the word.

Morituri

« Reply #510 on: 06 Jan 2022, 16:39 »

Today I learned that freezer door gaskets, if they get too cold, actually freeze.  That would seem to be a design flaw, wouldn't it?  I mean, thinking about it.... 

Anyway, the appropriate thing to do, if your door is closing but your gasket won't conform all the way around, (symptoms are frost or ice building up from condensation inside, leaked water, or occasional failures to maintain freezing temperature) is to get out a hair  dryer and warm up the gasket until it becomes flexible once again.  Don't overdo it; too much heat will cause your gasket to burn (if rubber) or melt (if plastic).

But anyway, once you thaw the darn thing out, it can flex and conform itself to seal.  And if it freezes in THAT configuration that's okay.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #511 on: 07 Jan 2022, 12:12 »

Today is the day I learned that Damascus steel was nanotech.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #512 on: 08 Jan 2022, 10:48 »

Electronic parts often have colored bands or dots to show their values. In that code, black is zero.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #513 on: 08 Jan 2022, 11:59 »

Today is the day I learned that Damascus steel was nanotech.

W00tz!  that is useful knowledge.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #514 on: 19 Jun 2022, 09:36 »

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Gyrre

« Reply #515 on: 25 Jun 2022, 15:02 »

Three things from this month since I sometimes forget about this forum.

1) The Ryker Maneuver was a fotm of disability accommodation for Jonathan Frakes as he had severely injured his back while moving furniture when he was younger. That metjod of takrn a sit was ultimately easier for him. Frakes also did the Ryker lean to accommodate his chronic pain.

2)
Lt. Col. Charles “Bazooka Charlie” Carpenter (August 29, 1912 – March 22, 1966) was a United States Army officer and army observation pilot who served in World War II.  He is best remembered for destroying several enemy armored vehicles in his bazooka-equipped L-4 Grasshopper light observation aircraft.

3) Speaking of WWII, Hitler wasn't just figuratively a sh!teating Nazi. Thanks to his favorite quack, Adolf Hitler was also a literal sh!t eating Nazi. Apparently AH thought he farted too much and got nervous farts as well, and he dpent A LOT of money on quack cures. And it wasn'tnuntil he met his favorite quack that he got any results. The pills contained bacteria cultured "from a Bulgarian peasant's feces". And, thanks to 'curing' his excessive flatulence AH let this quack prescribe him tons of other nonsense as well (methamphetamine, arsenic tablets, etc).
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

zmeiat_joro

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #516 on: 10 Aug 2022, 02:12 »

I was watching the Daily Show, and when Trevor Noah said that the Spanish government decreed that air conditioning should not be set lower than 27 C in government buildings, I thought "what, they were setting it lower than 27 C before? Why?"

And the reaction of the audience when he converted that to 80.6 F was weird. I almost never set my air conditioning lower that 27 C anyway. Apparently USAians and Spaniards like their rooms really cold compared to the outside.

EDIT: There's this old adage that the temperature differential b/w outside and inside should not be more than 10 degrees centigrade (that's 18 F).
« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2022, 02:38 by zmeiat_joro »
I, for one, welcome the fragmentation of deeper levels of shared reality.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #517 on: 10 Aug 2022, 06:10 »

Fuck that noise. It's been over 38° every day for weeks, there's no way I am keeping it at 28° in my apartment. I typically keep it between 18 and 20 all year. This is my home, this is where I go to be safe and comfortable.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #518 on: 10 Aug 2022, 06:26 »

I have no AC and it's been between 26 and 30 degrees inside all week. Usually I'm most comfortable at 21 degrees, but I noticed I've acclimatized quite quickly to these temperatures, so it only really bothers me when it's 28 and up. A government mandate for no AC under 27 degrees doesn't sound unreasonable at all for me, at least in Spain, where I presume they're also acclimatized to higher temperatures. (You don't live in Spain, do you sitnsnpin?) I think it makes sense given the energy and climate crisis, which is only exacerbated by widespread use of AC.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #519 on: 10 Aug 2022, 07:14 »

It depends.  When I lived in SF, it was typically quite cool.  Except for a couple of weeks in late September, when 27-28˚C was extremely painful, since we were on the ocean, it was quite humid, and on days like that, there’s none of the normal breeze or wind.  Edit:  If I *did* have an AC, I’d probably run it intermittantly just to dry the air out.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #520 on: 10 Aug 2022, 12:02 »

I like everything cold, outside and inside. Anything over 21 and I start to get uncomfortable. Over 24 and I kinda want to die.
@syleegrrl

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #521 on: 10 Aug 2022, 12:47 »

I feel that
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

zmeiat_joro

« Reply #522 on: 10 Aug 2022, 13:32 »

Fuck that noise. It's been over 38° every day for weeks, there's no way I am keeping it at 28° in my apartment. I typically keep it between 18 and 20 all year. This is my home, this is where I go to be safe and comfortable.

The thing is 18-20 inside is not comfortable to me when it's ~40 outside and I have to go in and out. The most I can tolerate is 24, barely. I feel like I'm freezing when I go inside. EDIT: It's currently just past midnight here; 28 C, ~68% humidity.
« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2022, 15:11 by zmeiat_joro »

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #523 on: 10 Aug 2022, 20:50 »

We all have our own preference. For me, 28° is unbearable, especially inside. But you do you.
@syleegrrl

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #524 on: 11 Aug 2022, 02:21 »

I'm not sure if I am just weird reading all these preferred temperatures, or if I'm miss handling the Celsius to Fahrenheit conversion.

I generally keep the indoors at 70° F or 21° C in the summer time and bringing it to 72°F or 22° C in the winter. Before my wife and I moved in together, I generally kept it at 68°F (20° C). My in-laws when they would visit and especially when they moved in with us would complain that its so cold in our place.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

zmeiat_joro

« Reply #525 on: 11 Aug 2022, 06:05 »

So you keep (mostly) the same temperature year round inside? That strikes me as strange, at least in places like here where there's a lot of variation between months, outside. In winter I don't put it _over_ 24° C. Usually 20-21° C. (and don't use the AC at all in spring and fall, mostly.)
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2022, 06:46 by zmeiat_joro »

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #526 on: 11 Aug 2022, 09:31 »

I generally don't use temp control at all during the winter, I almost never need to. Insulation typically does enough.

During spring and fall in doesn't generally kick on, either. Good insulation does a lot of the work.

My comfort level doesn't change throughout the year.
@syleegrrl

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #527 on: 14 Aug 2022, 16:32 »

To me, anything under 20C seems chilly, and anything under 10C is really cold. On the other hand, it has to be over 40C before I think it is hot. In eastern Sydney (ie near the coast), the coldest I remember was 4C and the hottest 44C. I have reverse cycle a/c as the only form of heating/cooling in the house. I don't use it during the spring and autumn, and rarely in summer, but in winter I confess that I set it between 20-22C. My winter electricity bill is always a bit ouchy. I've been tracking my electricity consumption in a spreadsheet ever since I moved in and I'm pleased to say that my four-quarter rolling average has come down steadily as I replaced the old lights, installed insulation in the roof, replaced the old a/c with newer units etc. but...  :-\
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #528 on: 17 Aug 2022, 03:14 »

When I replaced all the lights in our house with LEDs in a single hit, our electricity company wanted extra verification of our next meter reading because of how our consumption had fallen!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #529 on: 13 Sep 2022, 07:31 »

While on youtube today I came across a channel called Miniminuteman where they dispel historical conspiracies. The video I watched was about the Baghdad Battery (which should be properly known as the "Parthian Jars") and it was great. Interestingly enough there was a recommended response video by Artifactually Speaking where an archaeologist in that specific field of study watched the Miniminuteman video and brings in his expertise to provide more information about the topic and also help dispel the conspiracy. He even corrects the Miniminuteman several times and provides additional context to the whole subject. Really worth a watch! Especially Artifactually Speaking's video which provided a lot of the context that Minimuntemen couldn't find but was searching for.

Miniminuteman video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRZR_TeVi5Y

Artifactually Speaking's reaction video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZBsNGPVK2s

The TL;DR:
They were most likely magic jars with spells and incantations in them. More than likely to keep away evil spirits from the home or for good luck.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Gyrre

« Reply #530 on: 16 Sep 2022, 08:35 »

Well, here's one hell of a piece of trivia if it's true.

a real-ass gaddam sword

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #531 on: 17 Sep 2022, 04:24 »

I'm not sure if it was this one, but I definitely had at least one "record" cut from the back of a cereal box when I was a kid. It was the cardboard backing with graphics with a clear coating of vinyl over it that had the record grooves stamped onto it.

Also some books had records in them as a flexible sheet of vinyl inserted as the last page that you could cut out. The one I particularly remember for this was the Sesame Street book of "There's a Monster at the End of This Book" featuring Grover.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #532 on: 02 Oct 2022, 14:46 »

I'm finding out what modern C++ is capable of and just how much you can accomplish in a single line.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #533 on: 02 Oct 2022, 15:57 »

I haven't touched C++ in a few years now and I wonder if I would even recognise it.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #534 on: 02 Oct 2022, 16:02 »

C++ is hard to forget.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

Gyrre

« Reply #535 on: 03 Oct 2022, 23:42 »

I haven't touched C++ in a few years now and I wonder if I would even recognise it.

Since senior year of high school here (2004).
a real-ass gaddam sword

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #536 on: 04 Oct 2022, 01:01 »

This reads in as many floating point numbers as there are in the input, allocates space for them and stores them. It's the equivalent of an old school sscanf loop:
std::vector<double> foo((std::istream_iterator<double>(iss)), std::istream_iterator<double>());
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #537 on: 26 Oct 2022, 17:16 »

I'm finding out what modern C++ is capable of and just how much you can accomplish in a single line.
Wait 'til you discover grep...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #538 on: 26 Oct 2022, 18:24 »

Or awk.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #539 on: 26 Oct 2022, 20:10 »

I like to go for the opposite of conciseness: https://github.com/db314159/Spl/blob/master/examples/rydberg.spl
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #540 on: 27 Oct 2022, 23:29 »

Wait 'til you discover grep...

I knew grep in the early 80s. Guess what C++ added recently? Built-in regex support.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #541 on: 28 Oct 2022, 12:56 »

Obligatory XKCD.

Code: [Select]
[quote]
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #542 on: 30 Oct 2022, 20:34 »

I think I've got my head around move semantics. The problem is that everything is misleading. std::move() doesn't move anything, std::forward() doesn't forward anything, and rvalue references are not the nonsensical oxymoron the name implies.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Gyrre

« Reply #543 on: 26 Nov 2022, 01:49 »

I knew that western Kansas had sandy topsoil[1], but this week I learned there are straight up dunes. Syracuse, KS is surrounded by sand hills, and within that topography is the Syracuse Sand Dune Park. Dune buggies and the like are encouraged.

[1]Never pull off onto an unpaved shoulder out that way unless you have a 2x4 for traction in your vehicle.
a real-ass gaddam sword

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #544 on: 26 Nov 2022, 06:55 »

Kansas is surprisingly diverse in it's topography
@syleegrrl

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #545 on: 26 Nov 2022, 09:43 »

The plains states are far less flat than people expect. Oklahoma has some really beautiful mountains in its southeast and northwestern parts. The states a bit further east (particularly Illinois) are much flatter, but even Illinois has some hills. If you ever get the chance, check out Garden of the Gods in Shawnee National Forest.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #546 on: 26 Nov 2022, 10:23 »

There is a YouTube video which explains the version control system git with Tinker Toys.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #547 on: 26 Nov 2022, 21:12 »

I was today years old when I learned Pence's first name is Michael. Not sure how I avoided knowing that until now.
@syleegrrl

Gyrre

« Reply #548 on: 26 Nov 2022, 23:35 »

The plains states are far less flat than people expect. Oklahoma has some really beautiful mountains in its southeast and northwestern parts. The states a bit further east (particularly Illinois) are much flatter, but even Illinois has some hills. If you ever get the chance, check out Garden of the Gods in Shawnee National Forest.

Garden of the Gods is on my bucket list of places to visit and photograph.

Florida is topographically the flattest state. Kansas is #7 in flatness after Delaware. The top 5 flattest are Florida, Illinois, North Dakota, Louisiana, and Minnesota.

Having lived in Kansas most of my life, I already knew it wasn't flat since my dad's folks lived in a small town in the Flint Hills. And, I've now lived in eastern Kansas for the better part of 2 decades. I also got to drive all around Kansas, Oklahoma, Iowa, Texas, and parts of Colorado, Nebraska, Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas, and New Mexico for 3 years doing crew transport for the railroad. Sadly, not much time for tourist site seeing though.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #549 on: 27 Nov 2022, 00:03 »

I was today years old when I learned Pence's first name is Michael. Not sure how I avoided knowing that until now.

I am genuinely intrigued. Do they always simply refer to him as Pence in US media?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up