THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Vault 101 (Fallout Thread)  (Read 151612 times)

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
Re: Vault 101 (Fallout Thread)
« Reply #200 on: 12 May 2015, 15:04 »

Fallout: Indianapolis

Fallout: Sioux City

Fallout: Mumbai (?!)

The Elder Scrolls 6: The Capital Wasteland

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #201 on: 12 May 2015, 15:35 »

edit: posted wrong video earlier.
« Last Edit: 12 May 2015, 15:51 by Neko_Ali »

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #202 on: 13 May 2015, 00:38 »

I posted this review on Amazon of the different DLCs for New Vegas.

(click to show/hide)

As for Fallout 4... once that gets a release date, you can bet your sweet ass I am buying the next generation just to fucking play it.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #203 on: 13 May 2015, 04:19 »

I havnt tried lonesome road yet, but as far as the rest of your review I agree.  Though I think I liked honest hearts better than Old World Blues but I think its because OWB was frustrating for me as I had like 10 in energy weapons.  Going through my second playthrough of NV I have 100 in EW so maybe I'll feel different this time around.

I also felt like Joshua Graham was a missed opportunity.  So much build up and the air around him always feels tense yet calm. But I feel like they did nothing with him.  The Joshua and Daniel thing was totally heavy handed bible allegory.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #204 on: 13 May 2015, 05:12 »

I have so far only played OWB and am currently playing through Lonesome Road. I was able to finish OWB without any points in Energy Weapons, though. My character is focussed on Guns, Stealth and Melee and once I got the Protonic Inversal Axe I basically smashed everything to pieces with little effort (except the Cazadores... fuck Cazadores). That aside, I gotta agree that OWB is absolutely fantastic. All the additional background story you are provided with is just amazing. And the Brains in the Think Tank are probably the funniest characters in any Fallout game, ever.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #205 on: 13 May 2015, 05:41 »

I don't get everyone's issue with Cazadores, outside of playing on Hardcore mode. Even then, I always have an antidote or two on me.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #206 on: 13 May 2015, 05:46 »

Well, for one I am indeed playing on Hardcore Mode. And in OWB they are mostly in closed quarters in that one research facility so it's really hard to sneak up on them and use a rifle, so I fought most of them in Melee combat. That meant I ran through my supply of Antidote pretty quickly. Fucking Cazadores...

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #207 on: 13 May 2015, 05:48 »

Really? I never sneak up on them, I just VATS 'em with something quite heavy gauge. They don't like shotguns.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #208 on: 13 May 2015, 05:50 »

I usually focus on Sniper Rifles because once you got an Anti-Materiel Rifle you can blow up pretty much everthying from afar with one shot. But, it being Hardcore Mode I don't have the carrying capacity to carry around much ammunition for shotguns, since Shotgunn Ammo and Sniper Ammo are both pretty heavy.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #209 on: 13 May 2015, 06:07 »

Whats everyone's opinion of the gauss rifle?  Its basically energy weapons equivalent of the sniper rifle.  Says there's 5 shots in the magazine but when you fire it immediately reloads.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #210 on: 13 May 2015, 06:10 »

I tried it a little, then sold it. Didn't much care for it.

And yeah in hardcore I keep a sniper rifle around, but also a shotgun because it has so much stopping power.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #211 on: 13 May 2015, 10:39 »

The biggest problem with cazadores is how fast they are, and how hard they hit. I also tend to play a sniper sort of character, and usually take Veronica as a companion. Unfortunately when encountering cazadores that means she usually charges straight to her death. I keep her set essential specifically for that reason.

I also tend to use iron sights a lot more than Fallout 3, but against 'dores I abuse the heck out of the VATS. I find that using grenades/explosives or shooting off their wings at a distance helps a lot. Part of the hate on them I think stems from the fact that it's really easy to run into them right at the start of the game, if you wander in the wrong direction.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #212 on: 13 May 2015, 10:41 »

The mine with the legendary cazadores was a pain, but only because I kept having to revive my dead companions.  I got my Enclave helmet though  8-)

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #213 on: 13 May 2015, 10:45 »

I'm not very good at New Vegas. I get bored too often and start walking in one direction until the game shoves a huge NOPE in my direction

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #214 on: 13 May 2015, 10:51 »

I almost always play without companions. They only get in my way.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #215 on: 13 May 2015, 11:10 »

Depending on your style of play, different companions can be great or not. I am generally a ranged weapon guy so Veronica was terrible on hardcore. Boone, on the other hand, is so useful it practically feels like cheating.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #216 on: 13 May 2015, 11:14 »

I tried Boone but yeah.. He can often take down targets before I'm even aware of them and that's kinda not fun. I don't use companions in Fallout 3 because they are even dumber than they are in 4. But it can be nice... I'll still dismiss them and go it alone sometimes. Especially if I plan to do a stealth intensive section, like the deathclaw quarry. They are also useful as pack mules, because I tend to gather everything I can... You never know when 23 bent tin cans will be useful!

*shoves 5 sets of armor and 12 pistols into ED-E and tries to close his hatch, to much concerned bleeping and electronic squeals*

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #217 on: 13 May 2015, 11:23 »

I would have all the companions if I could but that's more due to getting over-attached to characters rather than smart gameplay.

I found cazadores more annoying because they're fast. Deathclaws I just run and shoot but cazadores are harder to outrun.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #218 on: 13 May 2015, 11:33 »

Deathclaws on 3 I can take at a certain level, but on Vegas they are fucking killers.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #219 on: 13 May 2015, 11:47 »

I nearly ran out of ammo getting the Enclave armor in NV because there's like 20 deathclaws you have to kill.  My companions didn't last very long, but I pretty much stood on a ledge they couldn't get to and just kept firing until they all died.  it took like and hour because they keep running out of LOS to get you to come down.

I like the NV companions as they are more fleshed out and easy to work with.  FO3 on the other hand... I went solo.  Kept dogmeat at home so he wouldn't get in the way.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #220 on: 13 May 2015, 15:26 »

I play for story and adventure rather than challenge, so when I played on my old computer (and will on my new one if it's strong enough), I'll boost all the stats that affect dialog and give myself one of these. Good times.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #221 on: 13 May 2015, 15:35 »

I like the challenge in the game. About the only game I just wanted to skip most of the fighting and get on with the story is in the Mass Effect games. Especially the first one. I did recently start New Vegas over again. My room mate just got it for the 360 so it inspired me to run through again. I play on PC though so I can mod the game to look and play better. I did add in some mildly cheating things to get through Dead Money easier, because fuck that red mist and the bomb collars. I was okay with the stealth parts. But the number of times I got my head exploded trying to frantically find some damn speaker to shoot out was way to frustrating.

mikmaxs

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #222 on: 15 May 2015, 01:58 »

I always thought that Fallout 3 had the better main game, but New Vegas had better side content and VASTLY better DLC. As much as I love the New Vegas setting, though, the branching plot just left me incredibly underwhelmed. (And wondering why I couldn't pledge my ARMY OF ROBOTS to the NCR to help out in the fight.)
Don't mind me.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #223 on: 15 May 2015, 02:07 »

Played a bunch today to put off studying (won't do that for at least a week), but I played through Lonesome Road and Old World Blues, and part of Dead Money, but Dead Money seems to be glitching near the end, so I stopped for the night. Also it's 5AM and I have to study a lot tomorrow since I didn't today. I'd never played any of the DLCs before.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #224 on: 15 May 2015, 02:48 »

I stand by the assessment of Ulysses in my Amazon review - cool name, cool voice, hackneyed dialogue.

I couldn't tell you a single thing he actually said to me, even though it's meant to be the end of the courier's storyline.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #225 on: 15 May 2015, 12:46 »

Heh, that's funny, considering it's only the second thing I did in the entire game post Goodsprings. I still have the other two DLCs left (I deleted my Dead Money progress) and the entire actual game.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #226 on: 28 May 2015, 05:04 »

So I finally played and also finished Lonesome Road last night.

I am still really lost on that whole story line.  I mean Honest Hearts, you're trapped in Mt. Zion and need to help stop the genocide of some tribes.  Dead Money, old crazy BoS guy wants you to do some contrived tasks for him but the game makes you play with both hands and one foot tied behind your back.  Old World Blues, you get abducted by a team of mad scientists and need to figure out a way of dealing with them and finding a way out of Big Mountain.  Lonesome road, you have to deal with something you did in the past and it hurt Bane and now Bane wants you to feel bad.

Without spoilers that's pretty much what I got out of it.  I am still completely lost on what actually happened there in my "past."  Kudos for the writers trying to give us some back story on ourselves but it fell short.  On that note, this DLC was extremely linear.  Its weird that my favorite DLC's of an open world game are open world themselves, but LR is just so linear, there's really only one direction to go.  I liked the atmosphere when I first got there.  It was like "yay and actual nightmarish wasteland!" compared to the new budding civilization of the Mojave.  But as the DLC moved on it became more and more boring.  Also the commissaries where few and far between with only a 6000 cap for caps.  I had to ditch so much gear I could have sold because of it.

For those of you that finished it:
(click to show/hide)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #227 on: 28 May 2015, 07:03 »

I agree entirely. I couldn't tell you a single part of the plot of that DLC. What did I do to him? When was it? What happened? WHAT???

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #228 on: 28 May 2015, 07:12 »

Without spoilers that's pretty much what I got out of it.  I am still completely lost on what actually happened there in my "past."  Kudos for the writers trying to give us some back story on ourselves but it fell short.  On that note, this DLC was extremely linear.  Its weird that my favorite DLC's of an open world game are open world themselves, but LR is just so linear, there

Eh, I have the opposite opinion. Too much information would have killed RPing. Your character has done this thing in their past but they can still be pretty much anyone you want them to be.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #229 on: 28 May 2015, 07:22 »

I agree entirely. I couldn't tell you a single part of the plot of that DLC. What did I do to him? When was it? What happened? WHAT???

Spoilers for the the DLC are below

(click to show/hide)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #230 on: 28 May 2015, 07:31 »

Okay, so did I miss some dialogue or did you get that from background reading or what?

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #231 on: 28 May 2015, 07:43 »

Okay, so did I miss some dialogue or did you get that from background reading or what?

You can pretty much piece it together from his dialogue (which is really cryptic) and from holotapes that are found in Lonesome Road and the other DLCs.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #232 on: 01 Jun 2015, 19:38 »

I finally finished FO:NV.  The game bugged out on me I think because only I and Cannibal Johnson faced off against Lanius.  Gave everything over to the NCR as I think most of my companions would have got a good ending.  Was shocked to see me get a bad ending for NOVAC and some mysterious vault I never heard of that involved powder gangers.  I also screwed over Raul by doing the NCR bounty missions before having Raul around to talk to the old ranger in 1st recon.

The final battle was lack luster in the fact I killed Lanius in like 4 shots with the plasma caster.  Johnson killed the others.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #233 on: 02 Jun 2015, 08:28 »

HOLY SHIT GUYS

IT'S HAPPENING

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #234 on: 02 Jun 2015, 09:15 »

I'm not gonna get excited until this is confirmed to be legit.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #235 on: 02 Jun 2015, 09:53 »

I'm not gonna get excited until this is confirmed to be legit.

It's on Bethesda's actual official website and was sent out on all their social media pages. In what universe is it not legit?

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #236 on: 02 Jun 2015, 09:56 »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! *runs around in circles, flailing hands like a muppet*

I mean, it's certainly an announcement for something Fallout. What that could be we won't know until the 3rd when the countdown stops. But still....

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA *flailing intensifies*

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #237 on: 02 Jun 2015, 09:57 »

Oh. Well. In that case... HOLY SHIT GIMME THAT GAME ALREADY ÖLAKSDJÖFLAKJSDFLADF

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #238 on: 02 Jun 2015, 10:51 »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #239 on: 02 Jun 2015, 11:06 »

Also take a look at this.  A breakdown of the code for the announcement!

they mention masterbrain from FO3 and the institute!

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #240 on: 02 Jun 2015, 12:54 »

I've gotten my heart broken so many times it's still hard to believe.  :cry:

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #242 on: 03 Jun 2015, 06:51 »

10 minutes before the countdown is over and I see this somewhat convincing screenshot of a leaked picture

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #243 on: 03 Jun 2015, 07:00 »

The countdown is over, WHY DO I STILL HAVE TO STAND BY?

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #244 on: 03 Jun 2015, 07:01 »

Pretty much exactly what I came here to whine.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #245 on: 03 Jun 2015, 07:03 »

Well, whatever it is, the Eye of Sauron is upon us, or something.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #246 on: 03 Jun 2015, 07:06 »

the site crashed due to so many people accessing it at once.  here is whats suppose to be running!

fallout4.com

looks like it is in Boston based on the trailer.
« Last Edit: 03 Jun 2015, 07:14 by LeeC »

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #247 on: 03 Jun 2015, 07:21 »

"We have our top man working on the situation"

Heh.

Alright, another white vault dweller. Well, I imagine we'll be able to customize that some.

I'm down. Didn't really tell us much of nothing, but did say "Here's a new Fallout, here's whereabouts it'll happen, here's what it'll look like", so that's something.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #248 on: 03 Jun 2015, 07:26 »

Yeah I figure more info will come out come e3 in a few weeks.  This is just to get us hyped up.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #249 on: 03 Jun 2015, 07:39 »

Looks like I better start saving up for an Xbone...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Up