THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Vault 101 (Fallout Thread)  (Read 151631 times)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
Re: Vault 101 (Fallout Thread)
« Reply #250 on: 03 Jun 2015, 07:41 »

I just realized something...this is the first fallout game where the protagonist audibly spoke! If the trailer is be believed anyway...

Looks like I better start saving up for an Xbone...
pff I'm sticking to PC.  Neither new consoles have impressed me enough to buy one.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #251 on: 03 Jun 2015, 07:46 »

Yeah I figure more info will come out come e3 in a few weeks.  This is just to get us hyped up.

WELL IT WORKED ON ME

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

weird they spoke though

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #252 on: 03 Jun 2015, 08:23 »

yup. yup yup yup. Take my bottle caps. Though the pre order link doesn't work yet. I did notice... We are getting Boston as a setting. The Paul Revere statue was in the trailer. I'm not sure how much is pre rendered and how much may be in game.. but the  whole trailer looked gorgeous.

The whole 'default white male protagonist' doesn't really bother me. I would have been surprised, and honestly in this case a bit put off if they had done anything else. That character archetype has been the same on advertising for Fallout forever. Leading back to the source material of 'A Boy and His Dog'. Besides, I'll just make my first character my default 'red-head white female' anyway.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #253 on: 03 Jun 2015, 08:39 »

I always interpreted the main character of Fallout 2 as dark-skinned and/or noticeably mixed. Not getting into the story and the icky connotations, there's several times you're immediately recognised as a "tribal" despite the sprite. I also remember a bunch of comments about your "raven hair" if you play as the female sprite linked. The following two images are kinda big because they're full sprite sheets.

This is the female main character sprite.

These are the tribal character sprites (which you start out as).

These are two of the talking heads of characters who are tribals, but are unrelated, that you meet so they have the most detail.

- This character is your mother.

Edit: I always played as the female character so that's why I picked to show those ones.
« Last Edit: 03 Jun 2015, 08:45 by Welu »

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #254 on: 03 Jun 2015, 09:02 »

Sorry for the double post but that little nose boop on the baby mobile AAAHHH as soon as I saw Dogmeat I broke...

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #255 on: 03 Jun 2015, 09:55 »

If this is how the actual ingame graphics look like I may have to upgrade my system... Time to save up for a new video card.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #256 on: 03 Jun 2015, 10:47 »

We are getting Boston as a setting. The Paul Revere statue was in the trailer.
The Capitol is also featured quite prominently.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #257 on: 03 Jun 2015, 13:21 »

Alright, another white vault dweller. Well, I imagine we'll be able to customize that some.
Hasn't the ethnicity always* been customizable?

*since 3, at least.

Also, I wonder if this one will let you play after you beat it. If memory serves, 3 and NV didn't. I'm not talking about DLC, I wanna be able to walk around the wasteland and see the consequences of my final choices, damn it.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #258 on: 03 Jun 2015, 13:26 »

Hopefully they will have learned that lesson after Fallout 3. Broken Steel was included in part because of that complaint, and allowed the game to continue after the main quest like ended. Of course, Obsidian didn't learn that lesson for New Vegas so... Toss a coin?

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #259 on: 03 Jun 2015, 21:47 »

Hasn't the ethnicity always* been customizable?

*since 3, at least.

I wondered, but couldn't remember. Still can't.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #260 on: 03 Jun 2015, 21:51 »

I'm reasonably certain it was in NV. I didn't really bother much with customizing my character what with almost always being in first person, though.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #261 on: 04 Jun 2015, 00:55 »

Changing your ethnicity was possible in both Fallout 3 and NV. I'd be very surprised if that would change for 4.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #262 on: 04 Jun 2015, 03:01 »

I actually got misty eyed when the music started in the trailer.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #263 on: 04 Jun 2015, 05:24 »

That pup :)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #264 on: 04 Jun 2015, 06:19 »

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #265 on: 04 Jun 2015, 16:10 »

.... Why? Dogmeat has always been the companion dog's name... So this really is likely to be Dogmeat the Fourth.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #266 on: 04 Jun 2015, 16:12 »

I was about to say the same thing.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #267 on: 04 Jun 2015, 16:30 »

Wait, what? I guess I never noticed the default name, since I always changed it to my own dog's name :wow: My bad.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #268 on: 05 Jun 2015, 01:13 »

You can change the dogs' names?

Even Rex?

MegaBarrakuda

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #269 on: 05 Jun 2015, 01:31 »

Psssst, guys.

(click to show/hide)

Active Madness

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #270 on: 05 Jun 2015, 03:58 »

Yeah, me too.

Fallout 3 was the reason I bought an Xbox 360, and a new TV. Admittedly, I ended up liking a damn sight more than just FO3 on the 360.

I say it pretty much every time I see a game trailer, I'm cautiously optimistic. The Fallout games are my consistently favourite game series, ignoring the botched abortion of Brotherhood of Steel.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #271 on: 05 Jun 2015, 06:44 »

I've been burned to much by games that were no where near as good as the trailers. So I generally enter at best cautiously optimistic. But I have never been displeased by a Fallout game. Despite the bug ridden messes that they are I will play and replay those games until the brahmin come home. Elder Scrolls as well. Bethesda's IPs just hit that sweet spot for me, that I will gladly plunk down a pre order when a new one is announced.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #272 on: 05 Jun 2015, 06:47 »

This has given me the motivation to complete NV on my evil runthrough and redo it as completely as possible on another paragon of virtue playthrough.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #273 on: 05 Jun 2015, 06:54 »

Heh.. I had already been doing a re-run of New Vegas using Project Nevada and a handful of other mods. I'm currently doing Old World Blues, my favorite DLC so far. And I just started watching a Lets Play series featuring the Fallout: Dust total mod conversion that I'm tempted to run. It is a much more hostile environment... They bill it as a 'survival simulator' set 20 years after the event of New Vegas. It looks like it is going to be more what I was hoping hardcore mode was going to be... where just surviving day to day will be  challenge.

mikmaxs

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #274 on: 05 Jun 2015, 15:06 »

Heh.. I had already been doing a re-run of New Vegas using Project Nevada and a handful of other mods. I'm currently doing Old World Blues, my favorite DLC so far. And I just started watching a Lets Play series featuring the Fallout: Dust total mod conversion that I'm tempted to run. It is a much more hostile environment... They bill it as a 'survival simulator' set 20 years after the event of New Vegas. It looks like it is going to be more what I was hoping hardcore mode was going to be... where just surviving day to day will be  challenge.
Lemme guess: You were searching for the Fallout 4 trailer and the Dust let's play came up? Me too.
Don't mind me.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #275 on: 05 Jun 2015, 17:14 »

ayup. Youtube is forever suggesting videos it thinks may be relevant to my interests. Most of the time, like with this, I don't mind. Other times I watch some stupid video and for the next two weeks "Hey! If you liked that, you should see this too!" umm.. That's nice, but I didn't like that, so go away...

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #276 on: 06 Jun 2015, 00:09 »

I think I'll have to give Dust a look... it sounds interesting.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #279 on: 08 Jun 2015, 01:21 »

Depending on how the Fallout 4 engine works, I suppose that it is possible that you could have a hypothetically-unlimited number of 'map packs' that just contain new maps and the associated terrain and character assets. Just plug them into the Fallout 4 engine and you're ready to go. You might even be able to export The Vault Dweller to these new locations.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Active Madness

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #280 on: 08 Jun 2015, 03:03 »

One thing I'm interested in - will FO4 be using the engine they developed for Skyrim, or are they going with the ID Tech 5 engine?

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #281 on: 08 Jun 2015, 06:28 »

(click to show/hide)

You got the legacy of fucking Deliverance.

"Yeah, fuck racists. Judging other people is wrong. But let me just throw a classist, ignorant stereotype of Appalachians real quick."

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #282 on: 08 Jun 2015, 06:54 »

I just thought that I'd add my thoughts to the current frenzy of analysis and speculation regarding the Fallout 4 Teaser Trailer. Take this as seriously or as lightly as you wish:

(click to show/hide)
~~~~

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #283 on: 08 Jun 2015, 11:37 »

"Yeah, fuck racists. Judging other people is wrong. But let me just throw a classist, ignorant stereotype of Appalachians real quick."

Heh.

The legacy of everything tied in with those stereotypes, for good and ill, is what she means, my Appalachian friend. I can see where that phrasing would touch off a nerve, though, so my apologies for that.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #284 on: 08 Jun 2015, 15:48 »

BTW - The people on top of the Vault when the blast-wave hit all survived. Look at the art of the Vault's top-cap and you'll see lots of high-voltage electrical insulator discs set around the circumference.

I'm looking at the trailer and I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Also, don't know if it's how busy the site's been or what, but I have not yet been able to view fallout4.com. I just get the loading screen.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #285 on: 08 Jun 2015, 18:08 »

I really don't see how they would have survived. By the video it looked like they were close enough to get hit by the blast wave in a couple of seconds, which would mean they probably got pulped before the fire even reached them. Electrical insulation disks wouldn't help them. Not to mention, it looked like the cap (elevator floor maybe?) was probably sealed because the bombs were about to hit, the ones on top were waiting for their turn to go down. After the bombs dropped you can bet those who were already inside probably sealed the vault door and left everyone out there for dead. If not from the shockwave and firestorm, then from the radiation.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #286 on: 08 Jun 2015, 18:23 »

I really don't see how they would have survived. By the video it looked like they were close enough to get hit by the blast wave in a couple of seconds, which would mean they probably got pulped before the fire even reached them. Electrical insulation disks wouldn't help them. Not to mention, it looked like the cap (elevator floor maybe?) was probably sealed because the bombs were about to hit, the ones on top were waiting for their turn to go down. After the bombs dropped you can bet those who were already inside probably sealed the vault door and left everyone out there for dead. If not from the shockwave and firestorm, then from the radiation.

In the Fallout lore there are multiple instances of Vaults being sealed shut as soon as the bombs hit, leaving people on the outside to die. Little Lamplight is an example. No reason to believe 111 would be different.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #287 on: 08 Jun 2015, 18:37 »

That's pretty much going to be true for every vault though. Even in the ones that were equipped to handle the full 1000 people each was supposed to contain, there weren't nearly enough vaults in any given area to handle even a significant fraction of the population. Not to mention the chaos that would happen when the news started announcing the bombs dropping and everyone started making a dash to get into a vault, whether they were approved by Vault-tec or not... But once the bombs started dropping in the area, the people inside really didn't have a lot of choice but to seal the doors on everyone else, or it put everyone already inside at risk. I'm sure more than a few people inside had to deal with massive survivor's guilt. Especially given that most vault entrances were in caves or under buildings, not out in the open like Vault 111. So people trying to get in would have been spared instant death and lived long enough to try and beat on the door (probably not heard because of how thick they are) or plead with the people inside on the intercoms if they were still working.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #288 on: 08 Jun 2015, 23:20 »

It's a sci-fi super force-field it only needs writer's fiat to work as required. The characters' survival is assured due to the fact one is seen later walking the Wasteland and talking to a dog.
~~~~

mikmaxs

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #289 on: 09 Jun 2015, 00:29 »

It's a sci-fi super force-field it only needs writer's fiat to work as required. The characters' survival is assured due to the fact one is seen later walking the Wasteland and talking to a dog.
I'm pretty sure that the guy talking to the dog is a stand-in for the player's character, since they're wearing a vault jumpsuit (traditional starting garb, and something that a survivor who didn't make it in the vault wouldn't have,) and because a dog companion is another staple.
All Fallout games take place well over a century after the apocalypse. Even if the people on top survived, it wouldn't really be relevant.
Don't mind me.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #290 on: 09 Jun 2015, 01:25 »

I'm pretty sure that the guy talking to the dog is a stand-in for the player's character, since they're wearing a vault jumpsuit (traditional starting garb, and something that a survivor who didn't make it in the vault wouldn't have,) and because a dog companion is another staple.

All Fallout games take place well over a century after the apocalypse. Even if the people on top survived, it wouldn't really be relevant.

Read the beginning of my original post and you'll understand my reasoning.
(click to show/hide)
~~~~

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #291 on: 09 Jun 2015, 08:14 »

There are multiple problems with the assumption that the character is one of the people who was standing on top of the vault entrance when the bombs fell. Setting aside for the moment the idea that the character is a survivor from that time period who has been in suspended animation, there is no reason to think it's not one of the people who was already in the vault. It's certainly a possibility that the leaked script could be true... The technology exists. We saw the one vault in Fallout 3 where people were trapped in those VR pods for 200 years.

We have seen force fields plenty of times in Fallout, but they have a distinctive visible blue glow, always. We didn't see that in the trailer. And even then I've never seen evidence that force fields block radiation. So even if the people on top of the vault had been protected by the blast, they would have received a massive dose of radiation. Probably enough to be lethal or ghoulify them.

I also don't really see the idea that the trailer indicates we will see part of the game in a pre-war setting. The first part, with the dog walking through the house and it switched between time frames looked to me like it was a pre-rendered cut scene, along with the very last shot "Let's go pal." Probably it was made using in game assets as the base, but the movements look to smooth to me and to unique for in game animations. At a guess, I would say all of that will be part of the opening cut scene.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #292 on: 09 Jun 2015, 09:14 »

The leaked script seems to have a lot of holes in it.  I'd break it apart but I'm at work and maybe will when I get home.

I've been playing a new play through of FO3 what with getting a new computer.  This new play through has been really different from all my past ones.  I ran into some really random stuff and I am not that far into it. 

*I found a dead Chinese ghoul soldier in front of the Super-Duper Mart

*I was attacked by a heard of "Mad Brahmin" outside of Farragut West Metro station

*Near the greener pastures disposal site I was attacked by "the Roach King" and a squad of rad-roaches.  There was also a throne for him with a mini nuke in it.

*Giant rad-scorpions chasing un-named wastelander NPCs

*Ghoul Wastelanders near the Citadel trying to get to underworld but are afraid to pass the raiders I just murdered.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #293 on: 09 Jun 2015, 09:33 »

Ah, the random encounters. I missed that in New Vegas. You could have some crazy things happen, like getting an alien blaster right near the start of the game.. Or one my favorites.. Getting jumped by Talon mercs who want to stop my do-gooder ways immediately after leaving the vault. Before anyone even knows about me, or I've been to Megaton.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #294 on: 09 Jun 2015, 09:51 »

But New Vegas had Wild Wasteland!

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #295 on: 09 Jun 2015, 11:25 »

Sounds like you're playing with the Wild Wasteland perk.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #296 on: 09 Jun 2015, 11:46 »

But FO3 didn't have that perk.  :laugh:

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #297 on: 09 Jun 2015, 12:10 »

Nah, it was kind of built into the core gameplay of FO3. There were certain spots on the world that would spawn a random event from a list of items. The spots were fixed, but you never knew what the event was going to be from time to time. The front of the Super Duper Mart, the war memorial area in the middle of the river where Moira sends you to research mirelurks, the barn on the hill behind where the entrance to 101 is are all examples. It could be anything from a friendly merchant or group of ghouls, to a tense standoff between neutral parties that you can jump in on, to a guy who lost a fight with a deathclaw (who is still lurking around) and has the blueprint for the deathclaw gauntlet. Even weird things like an alien spaceship that explodes overhead and showers the area with a blaster pistol and power cells.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #298 on: 09 Jun 2015, 12:51 »

It's been so long since I've played 3, I forgot it didn't have it.

Schmee

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #299 on: 09 Jun 2015, 21:46 »

a guy who lost a fight with a deathclaw (who is still lurking around) and has the blueprint for the deathclaw gauntlet.
I bumped into that one outside the Super Duper Mart, on my first trip out of Megaton. Fun times were had.
work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder 
make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better 
do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster 
raise your ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13   Go Up