THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Vault 101 (Fallout Thread)  (Read 151579 times)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Re: Vault 101 (Fallout Thread)
« Reply #550 on: 08 Mar 2016, 11:50 »

(click to show/hide)
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #551 on: 08 Mar 2016, 12:10 »

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #552 on: 08 Mar 2016, 12:25 »

Ah, Jesus. I literally did those and forgot about them. I really feel like something with that many NPCs in it should have a LOT more going on, don't you think? That kind of applies to many of the settlements in this game for me.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #553 on: 08 Mar 2016, 15:04 »

It's pretty much always been that way... Most places may have a few quests tied to them, then nothing more. Remember that Bethesda's games are sandboxes, not theme parks. You don't get lead from one quest to another, it's about exploring the world and finding things that way. The quests are there to give some life and direction to the game, not to be the major drive of it.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #554 on: 08 Mar 2016, 15:08 »

I need to pick up Fallout 4 again. Also, I get making it difficult, but damn it, if I'm playing on Very Easy I shouldn't be dying this fucking much. Then again, I only played it for a few days, I need to find time to get into it again.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #555 on: 08 Mar 2016, 15:10 »

You are probably in an area with enemies to hard for you if you're dying a lot. The further East and South you go, the harder enemies get.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #556 on: 09 Mar 2016, 02:08 »

No spoilers in following post; all information is from public-domain Bethesda releases. There are three major DLC upgrades for Fallout 4 on the way.
  • Atomatron - A new plot arc where you have to play the superhero against 'The Mechanist' a robot-using supervillain (costume and everything) who is trying to conquer the Commonwealth because he can. He's another returning character from Fallout 3, IMO; also includes addition of robot customisation to crafting in-game;
  • Wasteland Workshop - Wide-ranging expansion pack to the settlement builder mechanic and adds the ability for the player to create gladiatorial arenas and stage prize fights at their settlements;
  • Far Harbour - Map expansion, adding Mount Desert Island in NE Maine and a whole new primary plot arc.
'Atomatron' looks the most fun whilst 'Far Harbour' looks like it is the more ambitious and content-heavy. It also might be adding a new faction in The Children of the Atom, promoting what was previously a 'background colour' group into a major faction in The Commonwealth.

My hope for 'Atomatron' is that you have to confront him/her as either the Silver Shroud or Grogar the Barbarian to get a major stats advantage. I'm just looking forward to all the ironic commentary from the companions as you and the Mechanist exchange comic-book dialogue during every confrontation.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #557 on: 12 Mar 2016, 17:49 »

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #558 on: 14 Mar 2016, 11:14 »

Bethesda gave us a release date (March 22) and trailer for the first DLC, Automatron today.
HOLY HECK want so much. At 0.42 the player is shown wearing an eyebot helmet and using an Assaultron head as a pistol! And that's not mentioning going all Robot Fight Club with designing your own robots to take on the Mechanist and anything else you run across. Punchbot 2.0 incoming? One of mine will have to be Hank the Dismemberer....

TheEvilDog

« Reply #559 on: 14 Mar 2016, 12:18 »

No spoilers in following post; all information is from public-domain Bethesda releases. There are three major DLC upgrades for Fallout 4 on the way.
  • Atomatron - A new plot arc where you have to play the superhero against 'The Mechanist' a robot-using supervillain (costume and everything) who is trying to conquer the Commonwealth because he can. He's another returning character from Fallout 3, IMO; also includes addition of robot customisation to crafting in-game;
  • Wasteland Workshop - Wide-ranging expansion pack to the settlement builder mechanic and adds the ability for the player to create gladiatorial arenas and stage prize fights at their settlements;
  • Far Harbour - Map expansion, adding Mount Desert Island in NE Maine and a whole new primary plot arc.
'Atomatron' looks the most fun whilst 'Far Harbour' looks like it is the more ambitious and content-heavy. It also might be adding a new faction in The Children of the Atom, promoting what was previously a 'background colour' group into a major faction in The Commonwealth.

My hope for 'Atomatron' is that you have to confront him/her as either the Silver Shroud or Grogar the Barbarian to get a major stats advantage. I'm just looking forward to all the ironic commentary from the companions as you and the Mechanist exchange comic-book dialogue during every confrontation.

Bethesda has announced three dlcs for Fallout over the next couple of months:
Automatron - The Mechanist unleashes a horde of evil robots on the Commonwealth. You can dismantle the robots and scavenge parts off them to create and personalise your own robotic companions. Out March.
Wasteland Workshop - Not too sure about this, but I think the Sole Survivor will be able to trap creatures and people, allowing them to set up arenas and combat pits. From what I understand, its basically the Thorn from New Vegas. Out April.
Far Harbor - Set in Maine and according to Bethesda, the single largest landmass they have ever created for a dlc. Trouble is brewing between the synths, the locals and the Children of Atom. Considering that Bethesda love Lovecraft and its Lovecraft country, I'm expecting numerous eldritch abominations. Out May.

We knew they were coming up a month ago.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #560 on: 14 Mar 2016, 12:25 »

But now we have an actual date and a trailer. I figured that was news. :)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #561 on: 22 Mar 2016, 14:31 »

So is the Mechanist expansion actually bringing in more story elements? Because that is basically all I'm interested in.

Also, I forgot to mention previously I think - the Silver Shroud mission, which I thought would be just a fun side quest, may be some of the most fun hours I've ever had in a game.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #562 on: 22 Mar 2016, 16:42 »

It appears so,  yes. I haven't played it yet because work, and I've been trying to avoid spoilers, but it does have a story.. Basically someone named the Mechanist is building a robot army, and another robot named Ada wants your help to stop him from destroying her friends. Presumably for parts. There is a quest, though it seems to be short as some people seem to have gone through it already. You have to track down the Mechanist's lair, find out what he's doing and stop him. And there are apparently interactions if you show up as the Silver Shroud, so I'm glad I finished that quest line last night.

Overall it isn't going to be as deep as Far Harbor will be in terms of story content. But it is also much cheaper, and includes a bunch of new armor and weapons, and allows you to build robot settlers and companions. So you know.. there's that.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #563 on: 22 Mar 2016, 18:01 »

Yeah, I don't need any of that stuff, story is my jam. I shall wait for Far Harbour.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #565 on: 10 Apr 2016, 04:33 »

So, after getting a new PC, I've decided I needed Fallout 4. Because.

And yeah, so much of the RPG stuff is cut, and it's a lot more shooter than it was before. And that makes it more playable for me? I don't know. I got into the game much more than I did into New Vegas after 100 hours of gameplay.

(click to show/hide)

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #566 on: 10 Apr 2016, 09:05 »

HOW GOOD IS YOUR COMPUTER!???
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #567 on: 10 Apr 2016, 09:20 »

Honestly, I do not understand the people who keep saying Fallout 4 has cut story. Like, it bewilders me literally... There is plenty of story in there. As much as there was in FO3 and New Vegas. I would argue that it has as much as FO 1 and 2 as well... The story that was there was pretty simple.

If you're talking about RPG elements like stat management and the like.. The only thing taken out from the last two games was skill points.  That was folded into the perk system. That could be said as having less RPG elements... But in my opinion, that's really minor. And at least as far as the combat goes, people have been asking for more accurate and realistic shooting physics than 'point vaguely at your target and let the invisible dice rolling take over.

Some have said because the character has a voice and a back story that it takes away from the roleplaying but... No. The character's backstory is painted in the broadest strokes, and aside from being a parent seeking their child it doesn't impact the storyline at all. Your character being a Courier in New Vegas has much bigger impact on the story. And the background for 4 wasn't any more indepth than the other games. Of course, people are free to ignore the background aspects and main plot entirely. The character having a voice can affect things a bit... You can make someone really old, and they still have the voice of a 30-year old. They're also as spry and agile as one as well so... What can you do about that? I think the advantages given far outweigh the disadvantages of a voiced protagonist.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #568 on: 12 Apr 2016, 14:10 »

1. Fallout 4 is fucking enormous. Much bigger, as far as number of locations (if not actual space, I've not done the maths) then either of those games. My vote is that it should subsequently contain way more story elements and side quests then the older games. Bigger does not mean better, more stuff doesn't mean more actual game. I'm not in Fallout to just rack up stats, I'm in it for the adventure and the worldbuilding as much as anything else. Unless you stumble across a settlement that is actually major to the backstory, then you're not going to find anything interesting - in Vegas and 3, I was finding new side quests I'd never encountered on the fourth or fifth or sixth playthroughs simply by wandering into areas I'd never been to. Almost everything I encounter is an empty building or a hideout for mutants/Gunners/raiders. The only settlement I found with any major side quest was one called... Covenant I think? And that had one (admittedly really good) quest. I bumped into one woman on a dock who I had an interesting conversation with. That's basically it.

2. The dialogue system has been changed in a way that I can admit may simply be a matter of taste or 'I want what the old games did' rather than a negative, that being the kind of drifting in and out of it based on proximity instead of speaking to someone and being locked into dialogue. But now you basically get 'Yes' 'No' 'Sarcastic' and one extra answer. And regardless of what you say, you will mostly get the same answer out of them except for one slightly different line. Better yet, because it doesn't tell you what the dialogue is ACTUALLY going to say, I've a few times said completely the wrong thing. And you can even save mid-conversation so you can make sure you select the right option! I mean, I don't DO that because it's dickish in my eyes but a friend of mine pointed out the option is there. And that's even aside from the fact that I think it's a touch broken, what with the way it will sometimes trigger dialogue in a combat segment (sometimes in a quest-related one, which happened when Piper wanted to tell me how awesome I was during the DJ's bar fight quest) and sometimes even wrench your head around to face them for that privilege.

3. I think that VATS has vastly improved, actually, but the game more or less forces you to go the combat route in virtually all situations. Can't you finish Fallout 3 without killing anything except those first few radroaches?

4. I will add, if I didn't already, that the Silver Shroud mission is one of my favourite quests in the history of gaming. I had an enormous amount of fun and that quest really just went insanely off the rails in a glorious way.

5. This is a problem more with Fallout in general than 4 specifically, but I really wish my shitting companion would actually use the weapon I assign them rather than sticking to their favourite all the fucking time. One time one of them put my fucking power armour on when I hopped out because it was getting damaged!

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #569 on: 12 Apr 2016, 18:08 »

1) There are a lot of story elements and side quests in the game that you won't pick up unless you happen to wander into the area. Covenant and the Silver Shroud quests are stand out examples. But there are a bunch of other quests, some quick and easy, some long and crazy like the Shroud's quest. Diamond City, Good Neighbor and Bunker Hill have a lot of those, as befitting the largest 'friendly to the player' established settlements. And there are plenty of other areas which, while they may not have quests themselves, tell interesting stories about their (likely former) occupants. There's plenty story out there to be found. I think most people run into the radiant go here/kill this/find this/return quest early on and think that's what most of the game is. But there is so much out that that's not involved in random quests like that or the main story line.

2) I do feel that locking people to four dialog options and only having a sample text for your response was a poor choice on their part. The biggest failings of the dialog system.

3) Combat was always the primary solution to every situation in Fallout games. There were plenty of cases where you had no choice to to kill or be killed to complete the main storyline of Fallout 3. Most of the side quests also involved killing, so if you tried to do a pacifist run, you would have to skip a good portion or most of the content, or come up with reasons why you weren't responsible for people dying around you, like having a companion with you that did all the killing. FO4 actually is better at the 'no combat' route because it has a selection of perks that will allow you to pacify pretty much every enemy in the game.. I think only synths are not possible to pacify. There's even a weapon, the syringer rifle, which gives you options to paralyze or pacify targets to avoid fighting. I know of two people which have to die to progress the story line for sure. I think it might be possible to avoid killing the rest of the game through perk selection and dialog/storyline choices. Again it would mean having to avoid a lot of side quests which will absolutely require you to kill a target or clear an area to complete them.

4) Agreed. The Silver Shroud questline is very awesome, possibly the best in the game. If you haven't done it yet, visit the USS Constitution, in the very North East part of Boston proper. That is another quest that is just crazy and fun.

5) To get a companion to use a weapon you give them, you have to give them ammunition as well, and force them to equip it. Unlike other NPCs, companions will use ammo for any weapon they are given or pick up, aside from their personal weapon, which has unlimited ammo, but only for that weapon. Or give them a melee weapon. They still act like other NPCs though, if there is a better weapon with ammo around, they will pick it up. If there is unattended power armor with a fusion core in it, they will climb in. It may not be what you wanted them to do, but it's the way NPCs are programmed.

I actually like the companions in FO4 way, way better than in FO3. I pretty much never used them in 3, at all. They really didn't add much if anything to the game, and were usually bad. Some mods added new companions that were better, but I still mostly lived up to the Lone Wanderer title in that game unless I was forced to take someone with me because of quests. New Vegas companions were much better, and I was fine using them. I think that the companions in 4 are slightly better, but not the same big jump of usefulness that they got between 3 and NV.  Yes, once you have done all the quests and got to maximum affinity with them, they get pretty repetitive... But here has to be a limit to how much attention each character gets during development.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

danuis

• Plantmonster
« Reply #572 on: 29 Apr 2016, 07:55 »

Is this what Fallout is stuck into now? Brotherhood and Mutants? Would it be so hard to make a Fallout game on new ground?

I guess you can say I didn't like F4. I did like that the institute wasn't side-horned off, and a lot of the characters were solid. But, yea.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #573 on: 29 Apr 2016, 09:19 »

The Brotherhood and Super Mutants have been in every game so... I'm not sure what the beef there is. Honestly, it kind of makes sense with what we know of FO3 that the East Coast Brotherhood would be expanding. Not the least reason being the fact that they are actually willing to accept outsiders into their ranks. Then you add in the fact that they got a big technological boost in the arm after taking out the Enclave base and spending a while mopping up. So yeah, I see them expanding operations. If anything, I'm more surprised they only sent scouts up to the Commonwealth, instead of leading with sending the Prydwyn.

danuis

• Plantmonster
« Reply #574 on: 30 Apr 2016, 05:33 »

The Brotherhood and Super Mutants have been in every game so... I'm not sure what the beef there is. Honestly, it kind of makes sense with what we know of FO3 that the East Coast Brotherhood would be expanding. Not the least reason being the fact that they are actually willing to accept outsiders into their ranks. Then you add in the fact that they got a big technological boost in the arm after taking out the Enclave base and spending a while mopping up. So yeah, I see them expanding operations. If anything, I'm more surprised they only sent scouts up to the Commonwealth, instead of leading with sending the Prydwyn.

It gets tiring. Fallout 1, we defeated the Master. Mutants, the ones that made it through the FEV virus, are now not only not just beaten up but leaderless without a way to make more of themselves. Fallout 2, the Mutants are already basically dying bands of toughies in the desert of the California basin and the BoS is closing itself off from the world, but alas the Enclave came around and made a few more. Still, neither the Mutants or Brotherhood are vital to the story.

Tactics starts the trend, however. The MwBoS are the player's faction, and the Mutant bands make a rather big presence midgame.

NV follows the same - the Mojave Brotherhood are what's left of the West Coast Brotherhood and are basically dead. The Mutants have holed up into two main camps; and they're not essential for the storyline. From 1 to tactics to 2 to NV is around a hundred and forty years.

Then there's 3, and the Brotherhood are coming back in force in the capital wasteland despite being whittled down crossing the nation and having a civil war, but canonically now to 4 they've beaten all that and are running around; and the Mutants get shoehorned in by vault 87 for 3 and I didn't even know what for Fallout 4.

That's already six* games, and the Brotherhood and Mutants barely play a part in only one of them: 2. The Enclave have been in three of them, two as the major focus (2 and 3), and one as a minor easter egg like focus (4).

Just sayin', there's  hopefully more than those factions to make a fallout game.
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2016, 05:39 by danuis »

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #575 on: 30 Apr 2016, 08:33 »

I won't argue your preferences, since those are yours and I can understand getting tired of the same groups all the time. But I will present that there have been reasons why the Brotherhood and Super Mutants have been a big part in Bethesda games. The West Coast Brotherhood and Super Mutants have been in decline since the first game yes, because they were unwilling or unable to expand their membership roster.

The West Coast Brotherhood have been heavily bound to the Codex and are very selective in adding new members, rarely doing so.  The Midwest Brotherhood is a bit more open about it, as I understand. I still have never played Fallout Tactics, so I can't speak from personal knowledge on that game. Those that made it to the East Coast though, under Elder Lyons, started to aggressively expand their membership. Many references to it are made in FO3 and 4 about how many of the people you talk to were not born into the Brotherhood, but recruited in.

Given the fact that they send the descendant of the first leader to the East with Lyons, I have to wonder if some people in the West Coast Elders understood that they were dying out and changes needed to be made if the Brotherhood was to survive. But that to many within the ranks would resist the idea of open recruiting.  Whether by chance or design though... It did work. The Brotherhood on the West Coast is slowly dying out, having lost most of their power and fighting force to the NCR. While on the East Coast they are thriving out of the DC area. With enough tech and resources and support to have a fleet of (apparently barely) working vertibirds, an airship, a giant robot and more power armor than they know what to do with, as well as many soldiers and scribes.

Super mutants were being produced in multiple locations around the country, according to lore by Bethesda. In the West they were based out of Mariposa, and once that was destroyed and shut down, there were no more mutants being created. But between the original scientists, the Master and I think some with the Enclave, there were a lot of them made. And they seem largely immune to aging, so there are still a lot of small bands scatter around the West. In the East, there was Vault 87 producing super mutants. It had been pretty much untouched until the Lone Wanderer and the Enclave showed up. Even without the scientists there, the mutants understood enough that if they threw people into the green goo, more mutants were made. So they were able to somewhat haphazardly but regularly grow their population for two centuries, which explains why there are so many in DC. I won't spoil it for FO4.... but there is a reason why there are Super Mutants in the Commonwealth. They are not just carry overs from FO3.

Of course, in the end lore is an excuse to bring in elements that you want to bring into a game. The Brotherhood of Steel, Super Mutants and Ghouls have always been a part of the franchise. It would be more weird for them not to show up in a game at this point.

danuis

• Plantmonster
« Reply #576 on: 30 Apr 2016, 19:02 »

I won't argue your preferences, since those are yours and I can understand getting tired of the same groups all the time. But I will present that there have been reasons why the Brotherhood and Super Mutants have been a big part in Bethesda games. The West Coast Brotherhood and Super Mutants have been in decline since the first game yes, because they were unwilling or unable to expand their membership roster.

The West Coast Brotherhood have been heavily bound to the Codex and are very selective in adding new members, rarely doing so.  The Midwest Brotherhood is a bit more open about it, as I understand. I still have never played Fallout Tactics, so I can't speak from personal knowledge on that game. Those that made it to the East Coast though, under Elder Lyons, started to aggressively expand their membership. Many references to it are made in FO3 and 4 about how many of the people you talk to were not born into the Brotherhood, but recruited in.

Given the fact that they send the descendant of the first leader to the East with Lyons, I have to wonder if some people in the West Coast Elders understood that they were dying out and changes needed to be made if the Brotherhood was to survive. But that to many within the ranks would resist the idea of open recruiting.  Whether by chance or design though... It did work. The Brotherhood on the West Coast is slowly dying out, having lost most of their power and fighting force to the NCR. While on the East Coast they are thriving out of the DC area. With enough tech and resources and support to have a fleet of (apparently barely) working vertibirds, an airship, a giant robot and more power armor than they know what to do with, as well as many soldiers and scribes.

Super mutants were being produced in multiple locations around the country, according to lore by Bethesda. In the West they were based out of Mariposa, and once that was destroyed and shut down, there were no more mutants being created. But between the original scientists, the Master and I think some with the Enclave, there were a lot of them made. And they seem largely immune to aging, so there are still a lot of small bands scatter around the West. In the East, there was Vault 87 producing super mutants. It had been pretty much untouched until the Lone Wanderer and the Enclave showed up. Even without the scientists there, the mutants understood enough that if they threw people into the green goo, more mutants were made. So they were able to somewhat haphazardly but regularly grow their population for two centuries, which explains why there are so many in DC. I won't spoil it for FO4.... but there is a reason why there are Super Mutants in the Commonwealth. They are not just carry overs from FO3.

Of course, in the end lore is an excuse to bring in elements that you want to bring into a game. The Brotherhood of Steel, Super Mutants and Ghouls have always been a part of the franchise. It would be more weird for them not to show up in a game at this point.

Yes, I know, Virgil and all - but that's the whole point. Would it be that weird? Two was already on the path of forgetting them. The theme of fallout does not need them, they are just the results of that theme: that humanity can survive, and rebuild, and they'll try to rebuild in different ways. That theme could manifest in a lot of different ways.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #577 on: 02 May 2016, 09:27 »

Two was already on the path of forgetting them. The theme of fallout does not need them, they are just the results of that theme: that humanity can survive, and rebuild, and they'll try to rebuild in different ways. That theme could manifest in a lot of different ways.

Given the nature of the world in Fallout, any large scale organisation such as the Brotherhood of Steel or the Enclave wouldn't necessarily collapse with the loss of one branch. Its probably easier to describe them as cells rather than a single entity. Yes, the Enclave leadership was killed on that Oil rig in 2, but considering that the Enclave was the remnants of the US Government, there would be multiple sites and plans in place before and after the bombs dropped, one needs to only look at the US Continuity of Operations Plan to get an idea of how extensive it is. Likewise with the Brotherhood of Steel, given the number of Army bases and bunkers that exist in the States. All of them would be connected by some sort of network, government and army alike.

Ultimately it is easier to kill an man than an idea. An idea can be a wondrous thing; such as clean water in the DC Wasteland or rights for synths in the Commonwealth. But it can also be a dangerous rallying point; Ceasar's Legion, purifying the DC Wasteland and so many other evils.

But the theme of the Fallout games? Its not about humanity rebuilding. It hasn't, not really. People scavenge, they loot and they patch up what they can and if they can't, they steal from those who can. But there is nothing new, no real growth and development. One can see the true theme of Fallout is about the inherent flaw in humanity where we can't let go of the past and seemingly unable to learn from our mistakes.
Examples:
*The Brotherhood of Steel in the West and Mojave are almost extinct due to unable to appreciate the idea that they don't know everything, because they constantly underestimate wastelanders or anyone not a member of their organisation. Conversely, the Eastern Brotherhood under Lyons flourished because they were more open. Under Maxson, they have become feudal lords, but potentially decimated in several endings. A major reason why the Western Brotherhood Chapters are failing is because they cannot appreciate that for all their hoarding of technology, people don't really need a laser or power armour to beat them. They suffered massive casualties against the NCR, even though the NCR still use police level gear with rifles, but that's all backed up by numbers, artillery and aircraft. At the end of the day, they seem incapable of learning from the past.

*The Enclave cling so desperately to the idea of the US of the past that they cannot see the population of the post-War landscape as anything less than human, despite say Ghouls actually being people who actually lived in the US. They are so intent on "rebuilding" the old world that they are prepared to commit genocide. Yet, some might see their actions as the same that led to the destruction of the Old World.

*Ulysses throughout New Vegas, like the Enclave, cannot let go of the concept of the Old World. Ulysses cannot let go of the past, from his coat and signature weapon, to the rage he felt at the White Legs copying his old tribe's use of dreadlocks. Consider the question that he asked the Think Tank - "Who are you, that you do not know your own history?" and the chaos that caused. If you choose the right options when you confront him, you basically throw the question back at him by forcing him to realise that his actions caused the crises of Honest Hearts, Old World Blues, Dead Money as well as the main story, all because he wants to bring the old world back.

Ultimately, Fallout believes that people can't let go, be it the past or an idea and more often than not, the protagonists of Fallout are not so much the ones who are best at surviving, but rather the ones who make the sacrifice to look to the future.

Rose of Sharon Cassidy's last words in the House ending probably best sums it up: "We were going full speed ahead...but facing backwards the whole time."

At least that's what I think...
« Last Edit: 02 May 2016, 09:59 by TheEvilDog »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up

TheEvilDog

« Reply #579 on: 13 Jun 2016, 11:07 »

So apparently Bethesda have announced the June-August dlc for Fallout 4 (I forgot E3 was on):
June - Contraptions. Another workshop dlc where you can make armour mannequins and weapon racks, elevators and some Rube-Goldberg-esque contraptions for your settlements.
July - Vault-Tec. Yet another workshop, only this time you can make your own vault for people to live in and in classic Vault-Tec tradition, perform experiments on them. I'm guessing its like the Sims but with more shooting.
August - Nuka World. This will be the last dlc for Fallout 4, not much info about it but its probably going to be a large story dlc. From the look of it, Nuka World is a large former theme park dedicated to Nuka Cola, which looks like its borrowed a lot of the aesthetic of Bartertown from Beyond Thunderdome.

(Oh, and Skyrim is getting a remaster in October but that's a discussion for another topic)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #580 on: 13 Jun 2016, 12:42 »

I just played through Far Harbour and it shat all over the main game from an astounding height. Better quests, better story, atmosphere, fun plunder and lots to do.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #581 on: 13 Jun 2016, 13:42 »

I am desperate to play all the DLC but I'm waiting till I'm done with my current creative project so I can just melt into it and spend all my time on it.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #582 on: 13 Jun 2016, 13:47 »

The other two are nothing to write home about at all. But Far Harbor is one of the best DLCs I've ever played.

(click to show/hide)

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #583 on: 13 Jun 2016, 13:50 »

I'm really looking forward to Nuka World. A lot of people have pointed out the similarities in theme, look and geography to Hershey Park and I grew up in that area. I've been to Hershey many times. It'll be fun to visit another place I've been and see the Fallout world version of it. I am a little disappointed that half of the DLCs have been workshop add ons. Sure it adds a bunch of cool stuff to the building parts of the game. But story wise.. Not a lot added. Though there does seem to be a little bit of questing involved in toe Vault Tec DLC... Maybe something like the Mechanist questline?

I still have yet to get to Far Harbor. After having a restart yet again, I'm making my way through the Automatron DLC again right now. Though that's more 'heading vaguely in the direction and getting distracted by everything along the way'... Once I have that down I'll go save Nick and then hopefully be able to get to Far Harbor. Oddly enough, I picked up a legendary lever-action rifle off a raider a few days back, but I can't find anyone that sells the 45-70 ammo for it in Boston...

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #584 on: 13 Jun 2016, 14:22 »

This might sound really stupid, but if they can make mods for consoles, is there any reason they can't add in cheats as well? I stopped playing months ago because dying all the time made roaming the Wasteland, well...no fun. I wouldn't put on god mode, but I would give myself a bit of an edge (boost myself to maybe level 20 or so to start and give myself some decent weapons).

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #585 on: 13 Jun 2016, 14:58 »

You're going to the wrong places. Stay north. It's safer. Grind for a bit.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #586 on: 13 Jun 2016, 15:30 »

But grinding is so boring.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #587 on: 13 Jun 2016, 16:12 »

It's really not grinding though. There are so many places to go, quests to do and interesting things to find North of Boston. A lot of people are infected with Questitis though. If there is a quest they are given, they are driven to go do it now. It is what most games have trained us to do... but that just doesn't work in open world games like Fallout 3 and 4. Quests are there to guide you along the way or give you things to do, in case you can't find anything on your own.

In my current play though, I was almost level 30 before I even got to Diamond City. I wasn't grinding or cheating or anything like that, and I did skip stuff along the way because it either wasn't worth my time to go there from previous experience. Or it was a quest that wanted me to go to far out of my way for now, so I just shelved it until I was in the area. You should never have to grind in Fallout 4. Just don't try to follow quests as soon as you are given them.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #588 on: 13 Jun 2016, 19:17 »

Yeah, the Bethesda era Fallouts are ridiculously easy to level up in. You don't even need to do exploits, you just need to explore areas, picklocks and kill enemies. You even get some great loot when you explore. In my first couple of hours after leaving the vault, I found a modded chaingun and a legendary sniper rifle. Fallout has always been one of those games that rewards people who take the time to take a walk off the beaten path.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #589 on: 16 Jun 2016, 18:49 »

Some more info about Nuka World has come out. Basically the dlc will ultimately let you become a leader of a large group of raiders operating out of the aforementioned theme park. You'll be able to lead groups of raiders against local settlements, with new armour and weapons.

The theme park itself is made up of four regions, each controlled by gangs and each, I think, populated with dangerous and vicious creatures.

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #590 on: 22 Dec 2016, 21:52 »

I've recently started playing Fallout 4 in Survival Mode. Shit is hard, progress is slow. In the regular game mode I could grind out 3 or 4 quests in a 4 hour playsession. Now I'm lucky if I get one done in that timeframe. This might go on forever, but I don't mind too much.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #591 on: 23 Dec 2016, 02:32 »

Hardcore mode on Vegas was one of my very favourite things, it added a whole extra layer to what was already my favourite game. But as soon as I heard that in Survival Mode you had to walk everywhere, I knew that Survival Mode was not for me at all.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #592 on: 23 Dec 2016, 06:04 »

I was never that impressed with Hardcore Mode in NV. All it really seemed to do was add extra resource management with food/water/sleep. But those things were never in short supply. So it just meant I had to pack along a little extra supplies so I could eat/drink when I needed. Ammo having weight was trivial because you could still carry plenty, just not all of it. All it really did was leaving behind some loot I would otherwise carry away to sell. Playing the game with the Dust mod was more like what I was hoping, if it took things over far into the deadly. It was a total revamp of the game. Supplies were much more limited. Carry weight was tiny. Enemies and danger were drastically more deadly. And there was almost nobody who wanted to kill you. Forget questing, survival was difficult enough and you were going to die, a lot.

I'm not interested in Survival mode in FO4 for two reasons. Lack of fast travel is just plain annoying. I get wanting to walk everywhere when it's new, and for realism sake. I would be fine with that, except that my time playing games is limited, and there are way to many games calling for my attention for me to want to spend hours travelling back and forth. If I were to do survival, I would want a mod where fast travel was turned back on to save back-tracking. Or I would just play a nomad. Never setting up a base, only keeping what I could carry so I never had to back track.

A bigger problem though is not being able to save whenever. As unstable as the game can be at times, this is just unforgivably stupid. Even at base levels with nothing else installed the game can just randomly crash. With mods it can be worse. I have my game in a state now where crashes are very rare... But there was times in the past I remember even without mods I had to save before going in or out of any building or crossing a zone border because there was at least even odds my game would crash to desktop. I would have to restart the game a dozen or more times per hour of play. Having to spend that hour re-playing the same bit because I can't leave a building would have me deleting the game in frustration.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #593 on: 23 Dec 2016, 07:06 »

The first time I finished New Vegas, the game got itself into a state where in a certain area, I would take a step, game would freeze and crash. I could literally do one step, which was incredibly slow and stuttering, then crash. I tried going back save files but once I reached this area it would stutter and crash. I'm guessing it was more to do with the amount of stuff happening on screen making it slow down so much. Once I got to the next loaded area, the stuttering stopped and I could smoothly finish the game but it really kills the momentum and shits-giving to spend forty-five plus minutes taking one step, save, exit, load, take one step, save, exit, load, repeat.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #594 on: 23 Dec 2016, 07:39 »

Yeah, Bethesda games really do have a problem with file bloat. Its to do with the game engine, which hasn't changed in years, and how it interacts with every item. Changed where a cup was? Game is going to make a not of where the cup was, where it is and keep it, which contributes to file bloat.

It isn't helped by the fact that the game takes an inordinately long time to get rid of bodies.

There's a couple of things you try to help reduce file bloat.

1 - Let the game reset after 30 in-games day. Yes, you're going to have to let the game go by for 30 days (or more), but that's more like using the wait button.
2 - Use a mod to get rid of excessive clutter, like dead bodies. Morrowind used to let players dispose of bodies to help with the game's limitations.

There's no guarantee that these will help, but its better than nothing.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #595 on: 23 Dec 2016, 08:18 »

Pre-modding crashes were mostly an issue of being downtown. Or at least, that's where the worst of it was. So much was trying to load at once, even if it was mostly occluded in the downtown Boston area that my old video card just couldn't deal with it. That's why it would most often cross when entering/exiting doors or crossing cell barriers. The game dumped to much on my card at once and said 'here, render this'. And my card was well above minimum specs and only running at medium quality levels. A lot of people were reporting the same problems at the start though. I had to go out and drop a couple of hundred dollars on a new video card to play the game without crashes for a while. Which isn't horrible, I had been thinking of getting a new video card and all. But annoying and unreasonable.

Later crashing problems were modding issues, mostly. Specifically scrapping mods. The ones that would let you scrap things that normally aren't scrappable in settlements. As you said, they are big contributors to file bloat because they make large changes to the game world... I had the choice of living in a garbage dump or being able to play the game without restarting every 10-15 minutes...

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #596 on: 23 Dec 2016, 10:22 »

That's the problem with Triple-A games: you have to have just about state-of-the-art specs to run the game at anything approaching the quality you want. I suspect that the devs have cutting edge machines on which they do their quality control so they really don't get (or don't care) that at anything less than a multi-k$ specification, their products don't work properly.
~~~~

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #597 on: 26 Dec 2016, 07:38 »

A bigger problem though is not being able to save whenever.

That's why I do have a mod that allows for spawning a bed anywhere. I decided to get this mod for a few reasons.

1. As you mentioned, being unable to save anytime is a bullshit feature to add into a game that, like all Bethesda games, was not fully completed and bug-tested on release. Random crashes can happen.

2. My time to play games is also limited, but I don't play that many different games and I'm enjoying the 'density' of Fallout 4's map, so walking doesn't bother me as much. However, I still don't have the time to lose hours of gameplay to a crash. Also, sometimes I play up until I have to leave for somewhere, but just pausing the game and putting the PS4 into rest mode is not a good idea here, especially in the winter where power outages are more common in my area.

3. Realism. If you're living in the post apocalypse, you aren't going to actually wander around looking for beds. Sometimes you're going to find an overpass or some other shelter and just make do.

The only other mods I'm playing with are a mod that limits the number of active Minutemen quest you can have at a time to 1 (as opposed to 3), an infinite ammo mod for companions (because laziness), and my favorite, a mod called Weather Redux.

It adds weather types for fog, dust storms, and daytime thunder storms (in this base game thunderstorms only occur at night for some reason). It slightly increases the duration and frequency of weather events. It decreases the frequency of rad storms but makes them more deadly. And also, it makes nights much darker (which means I also have mods that improves the pip boy light and settlement lighting)

And lastly, a mod that increases how many units of water and defense are produced by settlement items. I downloaded this mod later mostly so that I could raise each settlement's defense to a higher level, because despite the Minutemen quest mod I still sometimes get "Help defend [insert settlement here]" notifications and with no fast travel I'd rather not have to run to the other side of the map.

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist
« Reply #598 on: 06 Feb 2017, 05:53 »

I love how a lot of Fallout's plot can be boiled down to "I'm looking for X":
Fallout: I'm looking for a water chip
Fallout 2: I'm looking for a GECK
Fallout 3: I'm looking for my father
Fallout 4: I'm looking for my son
Fallout NV: I'm looking for the bastard that SHOT ME IN THE FACE! (also a poker chip or whatever...)

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #599 on: 06 Feb 2017, 05:58 »

Bethesda's parent company, Zenex, has acquired a development studio who has done a lot of work for Playstation VR. Rumours abound of a VR re-jig of either Fallout 4 or The Elder Scrolls saga.
~~~~

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up