THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you ever judge bands on their name?  (Read 16853 times)

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
Do you ever judge bands on their name?
« on: 27 Oct 2013, 07:26 »

I have to confess I do this all the time, and I might have missed out on a lot of good music due to avoiding a band because I dislike their name. The thing is though, every single time I've gone 'What a stupid name' and then accidentally come across a song or two by said band later, I've found the music to be awful too. Recent examples: Imagine Dragons, Alt J, Tame Impala. As of now, I think this prejudice has worked as a pretty efficient filter for me, there's just too much music out there to listen to it all. Do other people do this too?

Of course I realise this is a very subjective thing, and maybe I'm just stuck up. I'd love to be proven wrong, so feel free to post music you like by bands you think have terrible names. Or you know, terrible music by bands with terrible names, whatever you feel like.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
Re: Do you ever judge bands on their name?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2013, 22:00 »

Two best band names ever (not bands, names) are Bowling For Soup, and Care Bears On Fire.  :mrgreen:

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2013, 05:57 »

I have a tendency to do this whith logos of metal bands. If you don't care enough to design a logo that's legible then you obviously don't need another person listening to your music. Often the music these fellows provide is charmingly rustic and old-school. Or; crap, crappily recorded with crap tech in a crap location.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2013, 13:39 »

I sometimes do this. Worst band name I've ever heard is Everything Everything because it is absolutely meaningless.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Metope

« Reply #4 on: 28 Oct 2013, 14:16 »

Oh! Yeah I was actually going to write them down in the initial post as well, but I completely blanked on the name because it's so stupid. Thanks.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #5 on: 28 Oct 2013, 14:19 »

You could call your band Stumpy and the Cuntfarts and it would be a better name simply by being distinctive.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #6 on: 29 Oct 2013, 10:20 »

I don't think I judge many bands by their name. The only times I really didn't like a musicians name it were names like e.g. Ke$ha. But well.

Post Rock bands often have strange names, but make great music. Names like "God is an Astronaut", "Fire Spoken by the Buffalo" or "And So I Watch You From Afar" are unusual, but I wouldn't call them bad.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

A_S00

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #7 on: 29 Oct 2013, 14:49 »

Not gonna lie, I've never been able to bring myself to check whether Butthole Surfers are actually any good.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #8 on: 31 Oct 2013, 10:18 »

They're pretty underwhelming.

I do kind of feel like band names should be...good. I realise that's a nebulous concept but I really hate stupid band names. Like, my housemate loves bands like Deathbreath and Pigface and I fucking detest those bands without having heard much of either of them, because they were too lazy to come up with a good band name, or at least an OK one. Sometimes I can push past it. I loved Purity Ring when I first heard them and then had a long period of being really unsure about them because I didn't like the name (and the images it brought up). Eventually I managed to get around it but it still annoys me sometimes.

I don't mind logos being illegible. I'm into black metal so if I wasn't cool with it I'd never hear anything. I think instead of having logos being illegible or not, I think it's more important for it to be visually distinctive. So Darkthrone's logo is hard to read but is obviously Darkthrone's logo. But there are a bunch of logos that are so illegible as to be completely meaningless which is unhelpful.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #9 on: 31 Oct 2013, 11:56 »

There is a band called Quasimoto whose album is called Yessir Whatever. Know nothing about them at all but considering buying the record for the name alone.

Metope

« Reply #10 on: 31 Oct 2013, 12:57 »

Everyone at my school have gotten completely hung up on this guy called Connan Mockasin. First I thought it was an ironical thing because why is his name a shoe, but they legitimately love this guy. It. Is. So. Bad. Here's what he looks like:

His music is really terrible and whiny psychedelic stuff with 'quirky' videos. I'm probably venturing way into judgemental territory here, but he totally seems like the kind of person who 'found himself' through some ancient asian philosophy and started fetishising it and now has an overwhelming urge to prove his deepness to the world. He probably cries after sex.

Aimless

• Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #11 on: 09 Nov 2013, 09:15 »

I def. judge bands by their names, in the sense that I tend to automatically reject many bands whose names make me think they only produce same-y unmelodic whiny hipster music. I realize this may be a stupid prejudice :o
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #12 on: 09 Nov 2013, 19:16 »

The thing is though, every single time I've gone 'What a stupid name' and then accidentally come across a song or two by said band later, I've found the music to be awful too. Recent examples: Imagine Dragons, Alt J, Tame Impala.

Imagine Dragons are garbage and I am so very miffed that somebody managed to talk the bartenders into putting their drivel onto a CD in the jukebox at the bar I work at. But I enjoyed Alt J and Tame Impala both when I saw them at Coachella.

I judge bands by their name all the time, that's why people go out of their way to come up with a band name that represents who they are. As a musician who has helped name bands, songs, and albums, almost every time, the above are chosen intentionally.

Bands I hate with bad band names: Smith Westerns, Vampire Weekend, every bad metal band ever (some good ones have awful names too)
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #13 on: 09 Nov 2013, 23:49 »

I don't see why people hate the name "Imagine Dragons" because imagining dragons is always a good idea.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Metope

« Reply #14 on: 11 Nov 2013, 11:18 »

Watch out for A Great Big Pile of Leaves! Blander than mashed potatoes, here's yet another indie band with no substance and lots of cliched repetitive 'chill' feels, they're guaranteed to set the mood for the year's most annoying borefest. In their own words: ““That sounds cool!” is our guiding phrase when composing. If it sounds intense or heady or combative, we usually drop the part,” , they actively avoid doing anything that seems hard or challenging, because who needs to engage their poor little airheads anyway?

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page
« Reply #15 on: 11 Nov 2013, 16:03 »

I tend to avoid bands that start with "The" followed by a random plural. If you best idea for a name was "The Subways", "The Vines" or, god forbid, "The Yeah Yeah Yeahs", then you're probably not that creative :psyduck:. This obviously don't apply to older bands, from the '60s or '70s. :laugh:
I dunno..

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #16 on: 11 Nov 2013, 20:27 »

Watch out for A Great Big Pile of Leaves! Blander than mashed potatoes, here's yet another indie band with no substance and lots of cliched repetitive 'chill' feels, they're guaranteed to set the mood for the year's most annoying borefest. In their own words: ““That sounds cool!” is our guiding phrase when composing. If it sounds intense or heady or combative, we usually drop the part,” , they actively avoid doing anything that seems hard or challenging, because who needs to engage their poor little airheads anyway?

I seem to be hearing this approach whenever I turn on the radio lately. Seems like a lot of bands are making the safest, most inoffensive music possible. I don't want to do a whole bullshit "rock is dead" kind of thing but my god if you're making music that my mum thinks is cool you're doing it wrong.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Metope

« Reply #17 on: 12 Nov 2013, 02:48 »

Yeah I mean, I like a lot of different types of music, some of it is pretty generic indie stuff too, but it has to be interesting. This band, and the others I've posted about in this thread, just sounds boring, safe, lazy and all the same to me, and it's supposed to be my kind of genre. No thank you.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #18 on: 17 Nov 2013, 11:34 »

In their own words: “If it sounds intense or heady or combative, we usually drop the part”, they actively avoid doing anything that seems hard or challenging, because who needs to engage their poor little airheads anyway?

Jesus Christ, people like this shouldn't make music for public consumption. That is exactly the reason I release hardly anything I've written by myself. This is also exactly the reason why I love being in the band I'm in, where there's a songwriter at the helm who knows what he's doing. Our first album doesn't reflect our risk-takership nearly as well as the next one will, but we do a lot of crafty shit in the songs on this next record, and it pisses me off endlessly that we work so hard, and yet the only way to make any kind of money in music is to do exactly the same lazy, cowardly thing that A Great Big Pile Of Shit admits to doing.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #19 on: 17 Nov 2013, 12:04 »

It's like actively making rice crackers in the finest distillery in all of Scotland. Because rice crackers are BETTER!
My Art.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #20 on: 17 Nov 2013, 16:01 »

There's this one bandname which is just so incredibly ridiculuos, me and a friend laughed our asses off, when we saw the CD in the store.

"100000 Tonnen Kruppstahl"

The middle word means "tons". The last word refers to "Krupp-made steel". Krupp was a German company, which was active during the second world war, famous for its strong steel. It still exists in a company called "ThyssenKrupp".

The first association you have when you read this title is that it's a Neonazi group. Apparently it isn't, but the name is just fucking ridiculous. No, not one ton, not ten or one hundred tons of tank-steel, no 100000 tons. The fuck were they thinking?
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #21 on: 17 Nov 2013, 16:28 »

They use it to build a boat. A bigger boat.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #22 on: 11 Mar 2014, 17:18 »

The The is one of my favorite band names. Clearly from a pre-internet Google search era.
But then I really regret naming ILLICITIZEN bc it is never spelled or pronounced right.
What do you guys think of the name: The Olivia deHavilland Mosquitoes?
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #23 on: 11 Mar 2014, 17:27 »

The deli near me has a sandwich that's called "The" Sandwich. People order it by asking for "a the".

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #24 on: 11 Mar 2014, 17:38 »

I like ILLICITIZEN for a band name, but then I think that "doombilly" would be a good name, too. 

However, "The Olivia deHavilland Mosquitoes" is also pretty cool for a band name. 

And I like their facebook page.
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2014, 17:43 by celticgeek »
a 'dčanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeňid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #26 on: 12 Mar 2014, 13:23 »

Thanks Fletcher. Not everyone can be "Anal Cunt."  :lol:
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #27 on: 12 Mar 2014, 13:39 »

Fletcher?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #28 on: 12 Mar 2014, 14:25 »

You called?
a 'dčanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeňid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #29 on: 12 Mar 2014, 14:30 »

I hate the name imagine dragons so much.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #30 on: 12 Mar 2014, 19:07 »

You called?
Yep, because I had no idea who Fletcher was.

Alex, I'll never understand how anyone could dislike that name. The band itself is ok, whatever, but WHO DOESN'T LIKE IMAGINING DRAGONS?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #31 on: 13 Mar 2014, 01:50 »

Because what the fuck does it even mean?

'Imagine Dragons'
'No, fuck you, I'll imagine whatever I like.'

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #32 on: 13 Mar 2014, 03:53 »

god, that band's perfect for this thread. I have never listened to them because of how bad that name is, because I imagine dragons aren't very badass after all since the species is apparently extinct.

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
    • cumming on the face of society
« Reply #33 on: 13 Mar 2014, 14:46 »

Has anyone ever had the same thing but as a positive? For instance I heard of 'Drenge' and instantly knew I wanted to listen to them, and now I really like their album.
La vie est drôle

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #34 on: 14 Mar 2014, 04:10 »

Certain bandnames are just incredibly bad-ass and compell you to shell out for their work.

Iskalt. Kampfar. Behemoth. Thranenkind. Eiluveitie. Xasthur. Bon Jovi.
My Art.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #35 on: 14 Mar 2014, 05:05 »

I can't think of a single time when I band's name has meant my immediate reaction was 'AW SHIT I GOTTA LISTEN TO THAT SHIT'.

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while
« Reply #36 on: 14 Mar 2014, 06:08 »

Fear of judgement made Mt band change its name from Snazzy and the Screaming Baby Brigade to its current (and kinda disappointing) name 'The Best Worst Idea'. I still prefer the former. If I saw that name come up on iTunes/YouTube/etc, I would listen the shit out of that.
My vote for worst band name goes to Fountains of Wayne
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #37 on: 14 Mar 2014, 07:41 »

'Imagine Dragons'

It means the same thing as Def Leppard or Led Zepplin. Nothing.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #38 on: 14 Mar 2014, 08:16 »

'Imagine Dragons'

It means the same thing as Def Leppard or Led Zepplin. Nothing.

Led Zeppelin at least DOES mean something, it means the music is heavy as fuck. Def Leppard means absolutely nothing, but last time I Googled Dean Learner's Def Leppard rant I couldn't find it.

Kwaping

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Pedals!
    • Kwaping!
« Reply #39 on: 14 Mar 2014, 08:34 »

I was pretty sure I wasn't going to like Yuck, but I did. Also, Red Sparrowes is a pretty bad name for a fairly good band. There's another one, but I'm forgetting it, will have to get back to you.
No amount of gear will make up for a lack of skill - but I keep trying!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #40 on: 14 Mar 2014, 09:12 »

Crucially I heard Yuck's music before I found out their name. I never bothered with their second record after their singer quit but that first album is wonderful.

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
« Reply #41 on: 14 Mar 2014, 11:43 »

Crucially I heard Yuck's music before I found out their name. I never bothered with their second record after their singer quit but that first album is wonderful.

A good decision, that second album reeks of lost talent.
La vie est drôle

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #42 on: 14 Mar 2014, 15:14 »

Namely lost vocal and songwriting talent.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #43 on: 15 Mar 2014, 01:39 »

Any band that structures their name along the old "Verb The Noun" template will draw instant skepticism from me.

A_S00

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #44 on: 15 Mar 2014, 02:06 »

Any band that structures their name along the old "Verb The Noun" template will draw instant skepticism from me.
It took me an embarrassingly long time to realize that "Cage the Elephant" was a sentence, not a pachyderm with an odd name.

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while
« Reply #45 on: 15 Mar 2014, 03:40 »

Butter the Children though.
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Taekwondoin

• Furry furrier
  • Fabulous Max
« Reply #46 on: 15 Mar 2014, 05:40 »

Namely lost vocal and songwriting talent.
Pretty much.
La vie est drôle

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #47 on: 15 Mar 2014, 08:11 »

I was going to ask about Toad the Wet Sprocket, and then looked them up and was disappointed to find out that Toad was not being verbed in that name. Although it is from a Monty Python sketch so I guess that makes up for it. (I know pretty much nothing about the band besides the name)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #48 on: 15 Mar 2014, 11:40 »

Def Leppard

what has 7 arms and sucks

Butter the Children though.

fuckin' a right. that singer is incredible and I will always, always have a soft spot in my heart for the guitarist Ray Weiss. he was a dick to me over Facebook once and it made me so happy.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #49 on: 15 Mar 2014, 13:51 »

Happy?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up