Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Is Dale the prettiest princess?

Yes, quite
Indeed

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2563-2567 (28 October-1 November 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 42756 times)

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

I'm confused, why are Dora and Tai looking at that? And is Dale also looking at that? What a strange comic.
The screenshot is Dale's machine. Dora&Tai just coincidentally happened to be looking at the same page, probably because they (Tai) got it into their heads that it would be hilarious.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

I'm confused for a lot of reasons really.

Dale shouldn't be looking at wikihow for that any way! Dale turn around! The answer is on the wall! The Brigade Commander's wisdom can guide you!

Your weird fact for the day, there is a religion of sorts focused on Haruhi. No one is quite sure if they're taking the piss or not.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

YourEvilExGirlfriend

• Plantmonster
  • You Left the Toilet Seat Up Again, You Bastard

I'm also confused about why we have 2565 and 2567 but no 2566.

Presumably because it'll likely be a Happy Halloween splash page and Jeph hasn't gotten around to drawing it yet.

As for why Dora and Tai are both looking at the same page at the same time, that is quite the coincidence. Unless the comic meant to imply that they browse/contribute to wiki-how and have stumbled on that particular article sometime before... I have no idea. Either way, I hope that the advice Dale gets from the wikihow isn't somehow grossly misinterpreted...

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Yeah it'd just be awkward. With a little misreading the road to heroin addiction could begin on that webpage!
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

YourEvilExGirlfriend

• Plantmonster

Yeah it'd just be awkward. With a little misreading the road to heroin addiction could begin on that webpage!

Haha!

I admit, I actually ended up checking out the wiki-how articles on "How to Tell a Girl You Like Her" and was blown away by all the common sense.

Step 1 - Brush your teeth before you see her.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

...I don't know what's sadder, that someone gave that advice or that someone out there probably desperately needed that advice.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

It kind of feels like Dale is there just so it's not a 2 panel strip.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I'd say that Tai and Dora are there just so it's not a 3 panel strip.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tulpa

• Balloon animal serial killer

Is May ever coming back? His glowing glasses reminded me that he hasn't had them turned on in a while.

...Maybe not. She's not on the cast page. Station is even there.

Quantum Glass

• Not quite a lurker

I choose to believe that, assuming it isn't Halloween season in the series, the Jack O'Lantern is on the WikiHow logo because Dale is really sloppy at closing tabs and remembering to turn off his computer.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Who turns off their computer?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

How'd you even know to check? Now I've seen Friday's comic, but not Thursday's. I guess if you want to talk about it use spoiler tags.

(click to show/hide)

Spaceside2 has already used 2567 as a reference on the wiki.

Which is begging the question since I have no explanation for how Spaceside2 knew to look for it.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

Dale shouldn't be looking at wikihow for that any way!
it's really more of a yahoo answers type question

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Probably because Jeph mentioned doing this week's comics in advance.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1597

My Archive-Fu is stronger than yours.

I really like your forum avatar.  :angel:
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

As for why Dora and Tai are both looking at the same page at the same time,
Because they are both looking at the same screen? :-D
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

One good thing about them beeing so geeky is that they will probably RTFM before they get to the point where they need it. If they get that far.

Edited typo
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2013, 06:12 by KOK »
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

This feels a bit like the old-style QC, where things didn't always make 100% linear or chronological sense but we got to see several characters' takes on something Jeph was thinking about. I like it!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

kyomi

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!

Glowing glasses... I like where this is going. I miss May :(

toffee-skye

• Emoticontraindication
  • cryborg

WikiHow to talk to people you like.. ah man, i could've done with that when i was younger.  :psyduck:
my name is Anna and i like people, places, and things.
current MRes student and serial timewaster

Strangederby

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Heh.  I actually struggled for quite a while trying to work out what was going on in this one.

kyomi

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!

You know, honestly.. when I saw today's comic.. I thought Dale was going to make glitter pumps for Marigold. It took me quite awhile to see that search box and what he typed in. 

I think he should ask May for advice :) Although not really the most reliable source.. she can actually give good advice.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

How'd you even know to check? Now I've seen Friday's comic, but not Thursday's. I guess if you want to talk about it use spoiler tags.

(click to show/hide)

Spaceside2 has already used 2567 as a reference on the wiki.

Which is begging the question since I have no explanation for how Spaceside2 knew to look for it.

For a couple of minutes last night the main URL questionablecontent.net would link to comic 2566, which was a broken image. If you happened to hit the "Next" link in an effort to get the comic to display it would take you to 2567. This was fixed quickly, but if you happened to check QC at the right time you could travel a couple of days into the future.  :-D
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2013, 07:24 by Zebediah »
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

The funny thing is.. what got me about this comic is why if his google glasses were off all day (makes sense, when on a date) did Dale turn them on as he was sitting at his computer? It seems rather redundant to me...

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

The funny thing is.. what got me about this comic is why if his google glasses were off all day (makes sense, when on a date) did Dale turn them on as he was sitting at his computer? It seems rather redundant to me...
It could just be reflected screen glare I suppose? Or he's using them as a virtual multi-monitor setup….
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Barmymoo

• Mentat

It looks like he did turn them on, but that makes sense to me. I often sit down at my computer with a book open, and maybe put on some catchup TV on iPlayer while also browsing blogs and checking my email. Technology overload!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined

It's only overload if something breaks or gets lost, otherwise it is just the road to saturation.

Dual monitors - check [have to get the third one fixed]
Sound System on and playing RUSH - check
Multiple browser windows open - check
Skype active - check
Refreshments - check

Is this what they call multitasking? :psyduck:
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

He wasn't multitasking though. Sure there are times when you want to do several things at once. But he just sat down, apparently turned on the glasses and computer just to brood over the date. My point being, anything he could do with the glasses, he can do with the computer. So why wait to sit in front of the computer to turn the glasses on? That's more like turning on two CD players at the same time.

PthariensFlame

• Larger than most fish
  • I ♥ van Laarhoven lenticuloid families!
    • Chirex Formens/Chirex Ialtens

He wasn't multitasking though. Sure there are times when you want to do several things at once. But he just sat down, apparently turned on the glasses and computer just to brood over the date. My point being, anything he could do with the glasses, he can do with the computer. So why wait to sit in front of the computer to turn the glasses on? That's more like turning on two CD players at the same time.

Not quite, though.  He could be using the glasses as a sort of extra information layer, through which he could, say, view data about the people writing the answers.  Even when you're not doing two completely separate tasks, cooperative concurrency can still be useful.
Quote from: Anne McCaffrey
Honor those the dragons heed
In thought and favor, word and deed.
Worlds are lost or worlds are saved
From those dangers dragon-braved.

Legere-factus

• Not quite a lurker

I got a bit confused about this strip, wondering how Tai and Dora were spying on Dale's internet searches. I started wondering about they could do so remotely, did Dora's basic website building knowledge now mean she could hack into his personal pc and see his screen...

Then I read the forum. I saw the more reasonable responses. I told my brain to stop thinking so round-a-bout!

YourEvilExGirlfriend

• Plantmonster

Or he could have just sat down at the computer (as a force of habit) without turning it on and turned on his glasses instead.

Still, I don't think this is really all that complicated. The glow in the glasses is the glare from the screen. Dora and Tai are looking at the same page simply because it's coincidence.  It's a comic. Things sometime line up that neatly and simply because story has more structure than real life.

However way you want to spin it,  the take home message from this strip is "Dale likes Marigold and doesn't know how to tell her" and "up to now, he's being going about it all wrong by stalking her because stalking is bad- (of which the glowing glasses are a reminder of Dale's  looming in the alley-way days). And just in case you don't trust wikihow as a source, in an unrelated context, Dora and Tai verify not-stalking as good advice."

« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2013, 10:05 by YourEvilExGirlfriend »

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

I got a bit confused about this strip, wondering how Tai and Dora were spying on Dale's internet searches. I started wondering about they could do so remotely, did Dora's basic website building knowledge now mean she could hack into his personal pc and see his screen...

Then I read the forum. I saw the more reasonable responses. I told my brain to stop thinking so round-a-bout!
Not to worry; this was one of the harder ones to parse. When I saw the third panel, I thought there was a layout error and an ad had been rendered on top of the comic. When I saw the fourth panel, I thought it belonged to a different comic. Took me a minute to piece together what was going on.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

starkruzr

• Emoticontraindication

Someone help me out? How do we know Dale is stalking anyone, other than Jeph's cryptic note at the bottom which could be about anybody?

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Someone help me out? How do we know Dale is stalking anyone, other than Jeph's cryptic note at the bottom which could be about anybody?
Apart from all the strips where he was stalking Mari through WoW and randomly jumping out of alleyways as she passed?

KOK

For all we know he just happened to meet her. He talked to her. He then walked into an alleyway in a - not entirely successful - attempt to make a dramatic exit. That is hardly stalking.

I have no idea what is considered appropriate behaviour in WoW.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

If she'd been alarmed I wouldn't have said "You're overreacting!".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

starkruzr

• Emoticontraindication

Apart from all the strips where he was stalking Mari through WoW and randomly jumping out of alleyways as she passed?
I didn't think WoW was stalking, exactly, and don't remember the alleyways thing at all, which I guess is why this is confusing to me.  :psyduck:

KOK

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

The world is weirder than you think.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

and that's before you even get into Quantum Fetish Physics.  :parrot:

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Did anyone pull out Occam's razor and make the obvious point?

The computer is running WOW; he didn't want to open a new screen or tab, so he turned on his glasses to do the search.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

Who turns off their computer?

Should be done every few days to clear out your computer's memory...

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

Only if you're running some inferior OS, like Windows ...

Code: [Select]
$ uptime
 22:42:35 up 82 days,  4:48, 19 users,  load average: 0.79, 0.64, 0.46

Not bad for a laptop?

... and on the server:

Code: [Select]
$ uptime
 22:44:57 up 139 days, 18:15,  2 users,  load average: 0.92, 0.99, 0.99

... I think that must have been a kernel upgrade.  Reboots are still kinda recommended on those occasions. :)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Eh, it's not really true anymore even with Windows. The last time I rebooted this machine was (according to the uptime clock in Task Manager) 12 days ago, to install updates.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

<yawn>

I reboot my Windows servers every few months to install the security updates.  I don't do it every month because they're not badly exposed.  I also don't reboot my OpenBSD firewall except for updates.  My Win 7 desktop gets rebooted every week or two, not for its own sake, but because one or another stupid install forces me to - typically Adobe Acrobat [sic - not Reader] updates.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Stoopid Noob question (kinda) - how do you find the uptime on a Win7 machine? I can't find it in my Task Manager.
Just another Joe like 46

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

It's under the "Performance" tab.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Oh. Thanks.

2 days, 18 hours, 58 plus minutes.
Just another Joe like 46

westrim

Only if you're running some inferior OS, like Windows ...
Outdated stereotypes are hilarious! Next someone will comment on the immunity of Apple to viruses or Linux driver difficulty.

Every OS has its flaws, but pointing them out solely to pump up your choice is either lame or sad depending on the accuracy.
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2013, 20:06 by Westrim »

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Interesting Momo-Marten chat tonight! Although Friday's comic is no longer accessible. I would never ever tell Jeph how to write his comic but I do hope that Monday's makes up for Friday's.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up