Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Is Dale the prettiest princess?

Yes, quite
Indeed

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2563-2567 (28 October-1 November 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 42776 times)

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

Has "A gentleman does not discuss these matters" disappeared totally from the culture?

Disappeared about the same time gentlemen (in the original sense of petty nobility) did.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Although you'd think she'd have learned her lesson from that.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

rschill

• FIGHT YOU

Has "A gentleman does not discuss these matters" disappeared totally from the culture?

Round about the same time as people stopped worrying about it being unladylike. 

I know what it's like to be harassed by women about being awkward and inexperienced around women.  That's nothing at all like what Dale is going through with Faye and Dora.  There's an underlying thread of support there at Coffee of Doom.  They aren't holding his status over him for power or mean spirited kicks.  They're being frank and honest.  Hell, it's probably a relief for him to get that out in the open in a caring and understanding environment. 

In some job environments talking about that stuff would be inappropriate.  You don't generally get into those positions when you cheerfully admit your sudden resignation from your last job included sparklers. 

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

I swear we just talked about "over share" culture upthread.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Anyone who wants to do the WCDT this week, go for it.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

They've joked about the stereotype anyway.

A long ways back but I am glad there was support for there being some stereotyping by them...

westrim

Jeph may not intend for it to be harassment, but that doesn't mean that it isn't. Intent matters, but it is not everything.

You shouldn't be ashamed of being a virgin. I never was. The only reason I would get annoyed if someone assumed (correctly at the time) that I was is because of the assumptions that usually go along with that. The assumptions about me as a person. So if someone I don't know well makes the assumption that I am out of nowhere, that's probably not all they've assumed.
If you said "Faye and Dora" in place of "Jeph", that would be applicable. I don't think anyone is saying Jeph is harassing, and he has written characters that do not think they are being harassed.

In general, shame isn't involved, it's just a status (unless the individual is immature and in a teen comedy). The reasons for that status, however, may sting a bit.

Anyone who wants to do the WCDT this week, go for it.
I had my fun. And ran out of poll ideas.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up