THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 06:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beyond: Two Souls  (Read 2609 times)

Tulpa

• Balloon animal serial killer
Beyond: Two Souls
« on: 02 Nov 2013, 23:29 »

Anybody play this yet? I'm over halfway through it in one sitting, I think. I'm really liking the story so far. It isn't as hard to follow as some people have mentioned. The gameplay is lacking a bit, however. It's more of an interactive movie than a game. Pretty linear, limited options to complete a goal. Click this button, move the stick that way, cutscene, repeat. But I'm liking it anyway. If just for the story. I think watching a playthrough would give about the same amount of enjoyment as actually playing the game.

Also, some graphical glitches. "WHY IS THERE A WHITE HAND COMING OUT OF NOWHERE AT HER FACE AND SOFTLY CARESSING IT? Oh, the texture just loaded." Things along those lines.

And what's with the trend of games letting you get drunk and high in them? Noticed it in GTA V also.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
Re: Beyond: Two Souls
« Reply #1 on: 03 Nov 2013, 04:31 »

First-person shooters (Bioshock, Deus Ex and the like) and role-playing games (Fallout series) have been letting you get drunk and high for decades.

You're actually the first person I've encountered whose opinion of the game is not "it's shit".
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Tulpa

« Reply #2 on: 03 Nov 2013, 05:01 »

Well, true about the drugs. Just seems weirder when it's (relatively) normal people in a normal setting you're getting stoned or drunk.

My opinion is more "not that bad, would make a better book or movie", if you wanted to summarize it. I like the story, but the gameplay almost isn't there. Just enough to keep you from wandering away or falling asleep.

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.
« Reply #3 on: 03 Nov 2013, 06:32 »

I don't have a PS3, but I watched a play through of it and really don't feel as though I missed out on the experience at all.

I do really like what Quantic Dream are doing with the video game format. I've played Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) and sat with a friend as he played the entirety of Heavy Rain. When you get hooked to one of their games it's not particularly because the game play is enthralling, rather it's the story itself that draws you in. It's good to see a company placing such emphasis on storytelling in the medium, because video games strike me as the next leap in narrative form.

Obviously there are other companies that pay the correct amount of attention to the story of their game (Naughty Dog and Bioware off the top of my head), but the way Quantic go about it is fascinating because they almost strip everything from a game which would typically make it a game, the spectacle and complexity that many modern games promote as positive devices, boiling it down to the simplest elements possible (movement of character and decision making).

I am of the opinion that video games will overtake film and television as the mainstream storytelling formats in the next decade or two, and games like Beyond: Two Souls are useful for the progression of the medium as it looks at different structures the story of a game can take.

That said though fuck quick time events. Quick time events suck dick.
Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

Tulpa

« Reply #4 on: 03 Nov 2013, 19:11 »

Huh, there's more endings than I thought. Took me 2 sittings to beat the game, still pretty early for today.
(click to show/hide)

Schmee

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #5 on: 04 Nov 2013, 01:01 »

There are some story-changing decisions, though:

(click to show/hide)
work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder 
make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better 
do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster 
raise your ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger