THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 07:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: What seemed weird when I visited your country  (Read 96055 times)

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
Re: What seemed weird when I visited your country
« Reply #250 on: 06 Jan 2014, 08:42 »

That's interesting, because in Norway those are still the rules. No one follows them, but you're supposed to say 'Merry Christmas' on Christmas Eve, only after 5PM. It doesn't really happen though since mass is usually before that, but Christmas Eve is Christmas in Norway.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #251 on: 06 Jan 2014, 09:40 »

Over here people start saying it around Thanksgiving.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #252 on: 06 Jan 2014, 10:01 »

... No comment ...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #253 on: 06 Jan 2014, 11:13 »

Considering that sundown in Norway in December is about 2pm, I think maybe people ARE following those rules, Metope!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #254 on: 06 Jan 2014, 16:30 »

We also say "merry christmas" when we say goodbye to someone we won't see again until christmas is over, and when we meet someone in the week after christmas that we haven't seen for a while. It's used as a "have a nice christmas!" and a "I hope you had a nice christmas!", not just a "Hello, it's christmas right now".
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #255 on: 06 Jan 2014, 16:59 »

Here in Germany "Christmas" begins on Christmas Eve. Children get their presents on christmas eve. Christmas Eve is basically the "main event" over here. But only the evening. Christmas Eve is considered a "half public holiday", so stores close around 2pm, and you don't have to work into the evening. Same goes for New Years Eve (called Silvester over here).
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #256 on: 06 Jan 2014, 17:00 »

I never even considered that "Eve" meant "evening of" and not "the evening before". Makes me think of Judaism (the day goes from sundown to sundown)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #257 on: 06 Jan 2014, 23:19 »

Exactly - it's the same thing.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Metope

« Reply #258 on: 07 Jan 2014, 13:11 »

Sounds like Norway is exactly like Germany in that regard. It's funny, because the two following days (called First Christmas Day and Second Christmas Day) are complete public holidays while Christmas Eve is only a public holiday after noon. In my family, Christmas Eve is the main event and it's also for the immediate family, while the following two days are for extended family dinners. This arrangement is normal for the families of most of my friends too, but I don't know if it's representational for the whole country.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #259 on: 08 Jan 2014, 18:28 »

It's like that everywhere I've been, and for my entire extended family, so I'm pretty sure it's representional.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #260 on: 31 Jan 2014, 07:19 »

Common Oddness
- the moon is upside-down pretty much everywhere,
- no beetroot on hamburgers.

Netherlands - Karnemelk (buttermilk) in coffee. Boterhams - open sandwich,  buttered slice of bread sprinkled with schokolade hagelpuur (chocolate sprinkles) and eaten with knife and fork.

Ohio - 28 religious channels on TV.

New Orleans - booze cheaper than milk (and milk's cheap).

Germany - Homeopathy treated seriously
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #261 on: 31 Jan 2014, 07:44 »

Ohio - 28 religious channels on TV.

Although that is almost certainly cable.

But one of the four channels I could reliably pick up over the air growing up was religious.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #262 on: 31 Jan 2014, 08:04 »

Netherlands - Karnemelk (buttermilk) in coffee.
Karnemelk? In coffee?? Who? Where?

Boterhams - open sandwich,  buttered slice of bread sprinkled with schokolade hagelpuur (chocolate sprinkles)...
Yes, of course.

...and eaten with knife and fork.
Wait, what? Who eats their sandwiches with knife and fork? And how? Don't all the sprinkles fall off? I wanna know where you've been since it's clearly not where I'm from.

By the way, the words you used mean chocolate sprinkles, dark. (Chocoladehagel, puur.) Which is what the box would say for dark chocolate sprinkles.. Also, there's no s in chocolade.

A weird thing in Sweden is that most supermarkets have a confectionery section. As in, bins filled with all sorts of candy, chocolates, nuts, and combinations thereof, that you scoop into bags and pay by the gram. In the Netherlands you only ever see those in candy shops and drug stores. As in, the shop that sells over-the-counter drugs as well as beauty products, make-up, bathroom products and... candy. Actually, now that I think about it, we're the weird ones for putting candy in drug stores!

Also, they don't have chocolate sprinkles in Sweden. :(
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #263 on: 31 Jan 2014, 08:06 »

That sounds like Woolworths (RIP) - the Pic&Mix stand was the best part!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #264 on: 31 Jan 2014, 08:06 »

Germany - Homeopathy treated seriously
At least one person I know goes to doctors who also practice "alternative medicine" as they call it not because they take it seriously, but because physicians' attitude sometimes is "oh, you have pain? take those pain pills and go away", while the "alternative" ones will try to find out what is up.
Also, insurance doesn't cover these things.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #265 on: 31 Jan 2014, 10:20 »

Isn't that a bit like trusting my kids to maintain your nuclear reactors, because after all, they're pretty interested in what goes on inside?

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #266 on: 31 Jan 2014, 10:55 »

Perhaps, but then 'take these pain pills and leave' could also be likened to 'turn off the warning siren - no more problem'. Okay if the problem is a broken siren, but no good if the core is getting too hot.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #267 on: 31 Jan 2014, 12:31 »

To clarify, I meant it the way Pilchard explained.
The way I understood it, my friend in question preferably visits doctors who specialize in both, and has them give out the traditional medicine, except the friend receives more care.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #268 on: 01 Feb 2014, 13:00 »

I just found out why the peanut butter they sell here in Sweden tastes just slightly off: They put sugar in it, the barbarians!
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #269 on: 01 Feb 2014, 13:04 »

They do the same thing in Brazil. Peanut butter shouldn't have sugar in it.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #270 on: 01 Feb 2014, 13:07 »

You think that'd be relatively simple.

"So peanut butter, what do we put in it?"
"....peanuts sounds like it might be a vital ingredient"
"....hmm good eye there Johnson, what else?"
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #271 on: 01 Feb 2014, 14:23 »

They do in the states, too, but you can get "natural" PB with just peanuts and maybe salt.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #272 on: 01 Feb 2014, 14:38 »

*looks at ingredient label on peanut butter jar*

So it does. Less than what the peanut butter I had in Brazil had (that stuff was noticeably sweet), but it does.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #273 on: 01 Feb 2014, 14:50 »

They do in the states, too, but you can get "natural" PB with just peanuts and maybe salt.

I ended up getting just that; it was an expensive brand of organic peanut butter made of 99.3% peanuts, 0.7% salt. Now I just hope it tastes good.

The best peanut butter I know of is made with 85% peanuts, and 15% mixed vegetable oil/fat. The proportion isn't revealed but the majority is oil. Plus a pinch of salt. The addition of solid fat keeps it from shifting; the jar of natural PB I bought here already has a thin layer of oil floating on top of it.

Americans can get the superior PB here.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #274 on: 02 Feb 2014, 04:19 »

Netherlands - Karnemelk (buttermilk) in coffee.
Karnemelk? In coffee?? Who? Where?
Hengelo, Overijssel, in 1986 when I was working at HSA (Hollandse Signaal Apparaten)

Quote from: LTK
Quote from: ZoeB
Boterhams - open sandwich,  buttered slice of bread sprinkled with schokolade hagelpuur (chocolate sprinkles)...
Yes, of course.
And no Vegemite available anywhere.

...and eaten with knife and fork.
Wait, what? Who eats their sandwiches with knife and fork? And how? Don't all the sprinkles fall off? I wanna know where you've been since it's clearly not where I'm from.
Twente.

By the way, the words you used mean chocolate sprinkles, dark. (Chocoladehagel, puur.) Which is what the box would say for dark chocolate sprinkles.. Also, there's no s in chocolade.
My Nederlands is rusty - I learnt German (Hochdeutsch) in school, then Twents in Hengelo, then to Bremen and back to an unholy mixture of Hannoverana, Plattdeutsch and Ostfriesisch... there are some serious dielect differences over just a hundred kilometers.

When I speak Deutsch, it's very formal, almost stilted schoolgirl Hochdeutsch, Hannoverana. Probably because I was born in Berkshire, UK, the heimat of the Mountbatten-Windsors. The local dielect was influenced by, and in turn influenced, Court German.
When I attempt to speak Nederlands, it's often mistaken for Vlaams due to the English background (hence some latinisation). When I try Platt, I mix Nederlands constructions in, as the Twents dielect of Nederlands is heavily influenced by Platt. Then again, my Francais sounds like Wallonaise from the English and Dutch in it.

So I might say "Een, Twee, Drei.. er, Dree" DOH. Having a superfluous 's' in is about standard. Schokolade, Chocolate, Chocolat, Chocolade... Dank U well, Danke Schoen, Thank you... Gesundheit, Gezondheid, Sundhed... oh wait, that's Dansk I think. Soundness (Health)

Another Dutch oddity : Kijkhuis. Nothing to do with Cakehouse.

Speaking of things comestible...

Rijstafel - ah, just like home! What the Germans do to Szechuan is a culinary atrocity, and their Nasi Goreng is unspeakable. I will pass over what they label "Curry" as something Man Was Not Meant To Know. As bad as Albert Heijn Huiswijn.

It took me ages to realise that "peanut butter and jelly" means "peanut butter and jam". Not jelly - what in the US would be Jello.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #275 on: 02 Feb 2014, 06:02 »

Hengelo, Overijssel, in 1986 when I was working at HSA (Hollandse Signaal Apparaten)
Ah, de Achterhoek. Yes, I imagine they do a few things differently over there.

My Nederlands is rusty - I learnt German (Hochdeutsch) in school, then Twents in Hengelo, then to Bremen and back to an unholy mixture of Hannoverana, Plattdeutsch and Ostfriesisch... there are some serious dielect differences over just a hundred kilometers.

When I speak Deutsch, it's very formal, almost stilted schoolgirl Hochdeutsch, Hannoverana. Probably because I was born in Berkshire, UK, the heimat of the Mountbatten-Windsors. The local dielect was influenced by, and in turn influenced, Court German.
When I attempt to speak Nederlands, it's often mistaken for Vlaams due to the English background (hence some latinisation). When I try Platt, I mix Nederlands constructions in, as the Twents dielect of Nederlands is heavily influenced by Platt. Then again, my Francais sounds like Wallonaise from the English and Dutch in it.

So I might say "Een, Twee, Drei.. er, Dree" DOH. Having a superfluous 's' in is about standard. Schokolade, Chocolate, Chocolat, Chocolade... Dank U well, Danke Schoen, Thank you... Gesundheit, Gezondheid, Sundhed... oh wait, that's Dansk I think. Soundness (Health)
Wow, yeah, I can't imagine what kind of weird mishmash of accents that would produce. I can tell a German accent in Dutch from a Flemish one but I'm not sure about Twents. Also, the Dutch 'chocolade' is an oddity of pronunciation since 'ch' is pronounced roughly the same as in German and English, whereas other words containing 'ch' are pronounced like a hard 'g' as in 'gezond'. Like schoon (of which scone is derived), chloor and acht.

Another Dutch oddity : Kijkhuis. Nothing to do with Cakehouse.
I don't know what that refers to, but I wouldn't think those are as easily confused since the English pronounced analog would be kikehouse instead of cakehouse.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #276 on: 02 Feb 2014, 08:46 »

It took me ages to realise that "peanut butter and jelly" means "peanut butter and jam". Not jelly - what in the US would be Jello.
There's a difference between jelly and jam here, but I still don't know what it is.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #277 on: 02 Feb 2014, 09:09 »

There's a difference between jelly and jam here, but I still don't know what it is.
That's easy. Warning: Very crude and disgusting joke inside the spoiler, click at your own peril.
(click to show/hide)

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #278 on: 02 Feb 2014, 09:15 »

I didn't have to click. I did click, but I didn't have to. I'll look it up later I guess.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #279 on: 02 Feb 2014, 09:45 »

Jelly is only made with the fruit's juice, jam with the pulp or crushed fruit, and preserves with fruit chunks. Same sugar and pectin added in all three, just the size of the fruit changes.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #280 on: 02 Feb 2014, 09:59 »

Interesting. Thanks.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #281 on: 02 Feb 2014, 13:17 »

We talked about this fairly recently (and you told us your printer didn't jelly).

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #282 on: 02 Feb 2014, 14:26 »

Honestly, September feels like a lifetime ago.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #283 on: 02 Feb 2014, 14:27 »

Jelly is only made with the fruit's juice, jam with the pulp or crushed fruit, and preserves with fruit chunks. Same sugar and pectin added in all three, just the size of the fruit changes.
What I learned today in Jelly School.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #284 on: 03 Feb 2014, 01:06 »

Yes, of course.
And no Vegemite available anywhere.

:D

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #285 on: 03 Feb 2014, 05:58 »

I spent 12 years working on a joint project with Signaal (not Thales) at Hengelo.  Never got to go visit, though, for which I was very sad.

Or maybe not since the last person who went got a week on the North Sea....

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #286 on: 03 Feb 2014, 09:50 »

De achterhoek should not be taken as representing the totality of this country.

It's a 'flowers in the attic' kind of situation.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #287 on: 03 Feb 2014, 16:46 »

I never visited the US or anything, but OH MY GOD HOW IS IT POSSIBLE TO OBSESS THAT MUCH ABOUT SUPER BOWL?!

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #288 on: 03 Feb 2014, 16:47 »

Think of it as a localized and condensed version of the World Cup.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #289 on: 03 Feb 2014, 16:54 »

As someone who doesn't give a damn about spectator sports, it seems more like "...of the Olympics".

Depending on where you are it might also be "...of the Hunger Games".

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #290 on: 03 Feb 2014, 17:00 »

Well the World Cup is one sport (and they're both types of football).

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #291 on: 03 Feb 2014, 17:07 »

I never visited the US or anything, but OH MY GOD HOW IS IT POSSIBLE TO OBSESS THAT MUCH ABOUT SUPER BOWL?!

There are nations who have fought wars, murdered people,  trampled, crushed, and killed hundreds in riots in stadiums- all over football matches. The US reactions are tame compared with the South American and European football fanatics  :roll:

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #292 on: 03 Feb 2014, 17:08 »

Yeah, but it's a different type of football.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #294 on: 03 Feb 2014, 17:48 »

An association football tournament run by FIFA, played every four years with teams from all around the world.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #295 on: 03 Feb 2014, 18:29 »

The Super Bowl is exactly that - the World Cup Final equivalent of American Football.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #296 on: 03 Feb 2014, 22:13 »

Yeah, but it's a different type of football.

My mistake for trying to insert some reality into that bashing. Please, continue on. US bad, Americans bad. Boo USA  :roll:

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #297 on: 03 Feb 2014, 22:15 »

Haha I am so confused but maybe I just need sleep.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #298 on: 03 Feb 2014, 23:42 »

How is it a World Cup if only American teams are in it?

Oh yeah, FIFA. Now I know what you mean. But there's never any real fuzz being made around the World Cup. Not in the scale of super bowl, that is.

Metope

« Reply #299 on: 04 Feb 2014, 03:57 »

Ummmm yes, there is. I am so glad it's only every 4 years, because it's EVERYWHERE and I hate it.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Up